Why do most men hate shopping?

Jump to Last Post 51-80 of 80 discussions (123 posts)
  1. profile image59
    DeniseDHposted 15 years ago

My husband actually likes shopping, though not always for what I want to shop for. He likes shopping for electronics, video games and sports equipment. If I want him to get something for me I send him a link online. ;-)  Or just ask him for electronics for Christmas!  This year I want a new purse so I sent him a link to the website it's on!

2. Refster profile image59
    Refsterposted 15 years ago

It takes up to much time. We want to get in and get out.

I don't mind shopping if I go by myself. I'm in and out. I guess we're just different on this. Don't think necessarily our way is the right way. We're just built different for the most part on this.

3. AEvans profile image70
    AEvansposted 15 years ago

My husband would rather be watching the games then shop , as he believes it takes to much time. If he does go with me, he knows what he is looking for and goes in and out within minutes. It is like having a game plan he catches the pass and then gets a touchdown. Me on the other hand, I go in and just try things on, and decide I don't like it and do the same thing over and over again and then of course I have to have add additional items that of course I have to have.smile

1. Stacie L profile image89
      Stacie Lposted 15 years agoin reply to this

why should they shop when they have someone else to do it? (women).My dad used to send me in to buy my mom's gifts.roll

1. AEvans profile image70
        AEvansposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That is because he loved you and knew that you would find the perfect gift. Mom knowing the entire time that you picked it out, and dad getting the credit for being so wonderful. See how that works.  A pass , didn't even fumble the ball and another touchdown:D

2. Refster profile image59
      Refsterposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That's another thing we're different on as well. If I try something on, 90% of the time I'm buying it. I don't like to try stuff on just to do it. I also don't like to buy items and then turn around and return it.
      My wife isn't that bad with doing that, but sometimes I do think that she'll buy something and if she doesn't like it she'll just return it.

My husband doesn't like to return after he buys either , I think it is in the make-up of the man and your wife and I are certainly alike as I do the same thing ) this why men are from mars and women are from venus, my goodness how this rings true, in a wonderful way.smile

4. BDazzler profile image79
    BDazzlerposted 15 years ago

Honestly I don't mind shopping. Sometimes it's even fun.  Now, it's true, I prefer to hang out at the electronics and pocket knives parts of the store.  But I do enjoy it.

Interesting part of the store, electronics , I see watching the games  heheheh:D
      Pocket knives that is so she wouldn't get to close   big_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smile:

5. brad4l profile image70
    brad4lposted 15 years ago

There are some interesting responses. Personally I don't really hate shopping, it is just not something I enjoy doing, well unless it is for electronics. As far as clothes shopping goes, I would just as soon get in and get out though, because there are better things I fell like I could be doing.

6. broalexdotinfo profile image56
    broalexdotinfoposted 15 years ago

They dont`t have the patience required.. shopping is more for women big_smile

7. jdh351 profile image60
    jdh351posted 15 years ago

I cannot go grocery shopping with my wife.  I keep looking at my watch and can't stop thinking about what I could be doing instead of shopping.  I get real impatient and I don't understand why either.

8. Nickny79 profile image68
    Nickny79posted 15 years ago

Men's brains are wired to be hunters.  They pursue the target, attack, and claim their stake.  Ideally, this is in one fell swoop.

Women's brains are wired, among others things wink, to be hunter gathers.  They pick and choose and take their time with attention to detail.  It stems back to prehistoric natural selection and gender specialization.

9. Edwin Clark profile image62
    Edwin Clarkposted 15 years ago

I admire my girlfriend's shopping skills though. However sometimes its down right scary. Once we went into a new shoe store and there were a row of boots that looked identical to me. But they were not. It's freaky how she could tell the differences when were not even standing next to the boots. It was only upon close inspection where you can see some subtle differences.

And if you're wondering my eyes are just fine 20/20 vision last I checked wink

10. aka-dj profile image66
    aka-djposted 15 years ago

Who said men hate shopping?
    That only depends on WHAT you go shopping for.
    Tell him you want to take him shopping to buy  him a boat, Ferrary, motor bike, fishing rod, power tools etc, and see how much he hates it. lol lol

11. Linda Martinez profile image60
    Linda Martinezposted 15 years ago

Because they are just that way, they hate it. I don't ask why.

12. purefitness profile image61
    purefitnessposted 15 years ago

Most men hate the waiting around, the expense and because they are longer the centre of attention.

13. profile image49
    clicrovaposted 14 years ago

Drives me knuts..........nuckenfuts!

I hope that I'm not the only male in this world who feels this way; if so, I need some serious psychological counseling. I just can't do it anymore no matter how much I love them...and I do. I adore them, but extended shopping with women makes me want to run full speed into the hardest brick wall available. This is long after I have been to sporting goods and electronics. I'm so sorry. I just can't help it. I can watch a chick flick and truly cry, but this just drives me through a wall. I can't do it. I'm sorry. From my girlfriend down to my mom, I love them dearly, but I can't shop with them. I would rather be tared and feathered and barefoot in a parking-lot than follow a woman closely in a mall. I just can't do it. This is mental anguish. I wish this was just comedy, but I'm serious, I cannot do this. Thank GOD for cell phones (not all chicks are game to call you when their ready; that is the problem). Somehow they think you don't love them anymore. Let me tell you "chicks", men and women are different. That is a fact. Let that continue to be a force of nature. If men and women were the same all the time, what a boring world this would be.

14. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

I just felt like posting something here. Anything. I've never posted on the shopping forum. I'm always in Religion, or Entertainment, or Politics. I'm bored. I really am.

1. moposan profile image58
      moposanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Boredom is the persistent problem of contemporary and future developed civilization. You are not alone.

15. FunFacter profile image51
    FunFacterposted 14 years ago

Its boring, and we have to pay from our pocket. Hard earned money goes into useless clothes.

16. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

My man likes to shop more than I do and it drives me nuts lol

17. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Because its a ridiculous pastime that's designed to lighten their pockets. Drive them mad. And make them lie when they're home - and the missus tries her new clothes on and asks "well - does my ass look big in this?"

It's hardly rocket science ...

*is with the guys on this one*

18. Gordon Hamilton profile image93
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 14 years ago

Men hate shopping because it is incredibly boring and irritating. Also, when men go shopping with women, men are only after what they need, not in to "browsing." Men would rather be in the pub, or watching the football on TV, or doing something equally important.

1. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Buying home furnishings for clients happens to be shopping, my guy doesn't find it boring, and making $$ by this kind of shopping IS important, although sometimes irritating to me, a female!

It just doesn't make any sense, I know!  LOL  wink

19. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I hate shopping - and I'm not a man.  If I'm with someone else who is shopping I'd rather wait around outside, drinking coffee.  I lurk around shopping malls and parking lots far more than any woman I know does.    smile   If I have to buy something I shop online.

20. countrywomen profile image60
    countrywomenposted 14 years ago

I don't think they hate shopping completely but they seem to like shopping for electronic stuff instead of clothes....

But they do like to shop when they need something specifically and window shopping doesn't seem to be there cup of tea. smile

21. HealthCare Basics profile image60
    HealthCare Basicsposted 14 years ago

Men hate shopping because they would rather stare at the woman who is shopping for her boring husband. Therefore, they are preoccupied............

22. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

All men Enjoy Shopping!!
    Part of being a man is: Never let them see that You enjoy it.
                 (If we did) It would act as an encouragement.
                            Always 'Shop' as quickly as you can.
              (If we didn't) You would want us to go with you.
                            Usually when our favourite sport is on.

So... There!!! Are 2 Reasons why men DON"T Hate shopping!

23. Silver Camphor profile image41
    Silver Camphorposted 14 years ago

Men doesn't hate shopping when with friends. Men hate going for shopping with girl friends, wives or to be more specific, with ladies. This is because ladies spend too much time for buying even a small basic thing. They research the complete market for buying anything. So men gets frustrated with that.

24. choiceessentials profile image60
    choiceessentialsposted 14 years ago

Men see shopping as a necessity. Women see shopping as a pastime.

Men just don't have the patience to keep walking around.. comparing design.. pricing...

The more women shop.. the more 'educated' they are.. hence decision may take a little longer.

Oh yes.. the other very valid point is that guys see women just spend too much money .. on things they may not even need. Just wish to own.

There is an element of truth...I believe.

25. profile image56
    Blackngoldbananaposted 14 years ago

I don't like to shop and I am a woman.  I am not going to aggravate the situation and take a cranky man with me.  I want to get in and out or the mall, and I certainly don't want to listen to his snarky remarks or listen to him pass judgement about what I've bought.  Simplify your life.  Don't take him...unless you have a sick need to control or something.  This is why its good to have your own job/money/car.  He can go do his thing (which I might feel is equally ridiculous) and I will do mine.

26. JSwanson profile image60
    JSwansonposted 14 years ago

My husband is pretty sweet and good at faking that he doesnt mind shopping with me.  He really acts interested and tries to help out.

I finally told him that Im not comfortable with him coming shopping with me so now we are both happy.

27. andromida profile image54
    andromidaposted 14 years ago

shopping takes lots of time because for me its extremely difficult to meet my requirements from a single  shop.I think shopping is a hectic job for a man,its even worse for a  choosy man .

28. curiozities profile image60
    curiozitiesposted 14 years ago

Depends on the situation. 

If I'm out shopping for something I like (such as books or fishing/golf stuff), then it's great. 

If I'm with a woman doing clothes shopping, I consider it a lose-lose proposition for me.  I find it boring; I end up paying for it; and I usually get asked loaded questions like "does this make me look fat?"

29. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 14 years ago

I have to say that I might be a rarity,but I HATE shopping as well.

It 's so tiring to do actual on foot shopping. Now online shopping is

fun;it feels like research,which is something I already do.hmm

30. profile image49
    pulverizerlinusposted 14 years ago

Most men don't hate shopping in general, in my opinion.

What most men hate, including me, is going to clothing stores in particular just to look around.  I am fine going to hardware stores or electronic stores.

On Black Friday my dad did all of the shopping when I was younger.  He found the deals, did the pricematching, and all the strategizing, but he hated going for clothes or without a certain product in mind.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)