If you were given the chance to delete a word from the dictionary....

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (53 posts)
  1. Misbah786 profile image85
    Misbah786posted 2 years ago

If there was an option to delete a word from the dictionary. I believe I would love to delete the word "Why". The only word that bothers me is 'WHY.' Why is the most frustrating word for me. And it always bothers me until I find the answer. Which word upsets you the most?

Here’s a few lines dedicated to the word ‘Why’ but still I would love to delete it because it causes tension big_smile

“The word that brings everything to question,

Possibly, a big reason to many inventions ”  ~ Misbah

Which word would you love to delete if you were given the opportunity to delete a word from the dictionary....

Thank you so much! smile

1. Stephen Tomkinson profile image92
      Stephen Tomkinsonposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I would get rid of the word "nice". We use it so much that it has become meaningless,

Misbah786posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Hi Steve,

Nice is a beautiful word. Yes, you are right we use this word too often. smile

Thank you so much for your very kind response smile

Blessings to you!!

2. tsmog profile image85
      tsmogposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I like this question as it promotes two kinds of thought. One a passing glance while the other pensive. At first from a tad of emotion I thought tobacco with all its connotations and then cancer. Yet, after a good nap and a peek at Google University I see tobacco does have medicinal value. hmmmm . . .

Just now pondering your word - why, I decided I would say, Because is my choice. wink

"Why" causes trouble and sometimes even migraine.  lol!

What would 'because' be without 'why'? Let's take them both away. wink

Thank you so much,  Tim. smile

3. MizBejabbers profile image88
      MizBejabbersposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I don't think there is a single word that I would delete from the dictionary because, being an editor, I find merit in them all. If one word doesn't work, then try another. There are some slang meanings to legitimate words that I don't like. "Gay" for instance. Gay is a lovely word that was given a sophomoric meaning for homosexual. I think that was blasphemy.

Please don't misunderstand me here. I'm not homophobic, and I have homosexual friends. "Homosexual" is a term just as "quadriplegic" is a term for a person. But one wouldn't pick out a cutesy term for a quadriplegic.

Brilliant and Unique answer, Ms. Doris smile I don't why but I don't like using slangs very much.

Blessings and love to you!! smile

2. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

Misbah. Thank you for the interesting question. I have thought about this carefully, and you may think my answer is a joke, but I assure you I am being serious.
    The word I would most like to delete from the dictionary is: "diarrhoea."
    It doesn't matter how many times I write it (countless sick notes supposedly by my mother so I could get out of school lol) I still have to look up the spelling in the dictionary every time...I cannot for the life of me memorize it! Overall, I just find it a very "shitty" word smile

1. AliciaC profile image93
      AliciaCposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I think if I still lived in Britain I would have the same opinion as you! Perhaps on some occasions you could pretend that you were from North America and spell it "diarrhea." I find this much easier to remember.

Agreed 'Diarrhea' is easy to remember smile

2. Misbah786 profile image85

Very Interesting answer. Ha Ha! tongue

John, do you really want to delete this word? Lol!! big_smile

Diarrhoea is an alternative form of diarrhea. Right?

You made me laugh so hard that my cheeks hurt. Lol!!

With a lot of stress on the word 'WHY' : Why don't you try writing it as diarrhea? big_smile

See 'why' struck again, which is why I just don't like the word "why." smile

I really enjoyed your answer. Thank you for putting a smile on my face. Stay cheerful smile

Blessings always!!

John, leave it to you. That's the best reply that I've seen yet! lol

1. Jodah profile image92
        Jodahposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thank you MizB.

3. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

OK in future if I must use it ... it shall be "diarrhea."

Aww… you are so kind. See it’s easy now wink smile

4. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

smile

5. ravirajan01 profile image96
    ravirajan01posted 2 years ago

Misbah I think we should delete "MAYBE".The word is so devoid of any commitment. It is almost as if we are using this word to avoid any blame or even any reference or quote to come back to us.MAYBE is a sign of a weak and indecisive mind.

Ravi, I read it somewhere else on web before that the word 'maybe' is a loser’s word but I personally think that sometimes this word also gives us a little hope. smile

I believe, there are too many questions, and too many maybes. Thank you so much for your kind response.

Blessings to you! smile

6. Nathanville profile image92
    Nathanvilleposted 2 years ago

Well I was thinking of:-

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
    https://youtu.be/3bbAAegC40U

Because it’s too long to easily remember, say or spell, but then again it’s too nice a word; so I would say:

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumonou … noconiosis

As the word I choose that should be deleted from the dictionary, as it’s far too long.

1. theraggededge profile image95
      theraggededgeposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I can say it big_smile Anyway, it's not a dictionary word, it's a place name.

I suggest 'Covid'.

1. Nathanville profile image92
        Nathanvilleposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yep, the first word I thought of is a place name; but the 2nd word I chose is a  dictionary word - which as described by Wikipedia in the above link has been published by the Oxford Dictionaries.

2. Misbah786 profile image85

It is nice to see your response. Covid should be removed but not just from the dictionary smile

Peace and Blessings!

Yep, that would be 'nice'.

Oh! Yes, ‘Nice’ Steve’s word. Lol!!! big_smile

2. tsmog profile image85
      tsmogposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Ha, Ha . . . I was thinking Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, but it is way too much fun, fun, fun smile

Oh! that is an extraordinary good and wonderful suggestion big_smile
        Thank you so much, Tim, for sharing this fascinating but difficult to spell word. smile

Blessings always!!

2. Nathanville profile image92

Yep, far to much fun to loose.

Good one. If I remember my high school drama class, we were taught that there was no such word in the English language. That it was a made up word because of the rhythm. I guess the songwriter took poetic license with it. smile

3. Misbah786 profile image85

Just imagine how tough that word would be to spell for someone suffering from that lung disease. It should be removed. Very fantastic idea. big_smile The name of the place is also extremely long; I'm wondering if people in Wales say it or if they've found an alternative name for that place. smile

Thank you so much for your very interesting response smile

Blessing to you!!

Yes, and I should imagine it would be difficult for people who suffer from dyslexia to spell these words.

And yes, there is an alternative name for Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, the village's official short form name is Llanfairpwllgwyngyll.

Lol! This name is still too long for me to remember and spell correctly. I agree that such words are extremely tough for people who have reading disorders such as dyslexia. smile

2. theraggededge profile image95

Llanfair PG smile

This is much better. Thank you for telling smile

Yep, much better.

Yes, easier for the poor English folk big_smile

Did you know, all Brits spoke a version of Welsh back in the day? It's fascinating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brittonic_languages

"Yes, easier for the poor English folk big_smile"

I was just expecting such an answer. I love your sarcasm big_smile

How many languages can you speak? Curious to know . . .

Yep, I knew - it is part of our history, which I find fascinating; especially as I’m interested in genealogy, and learning about our history helps to put a bit of flesh on the bones of my family history research.

Although I can’t speak it, I love hearing the welsh language, to me it’s so musical.  My maternal grandmother was brought up in Wales as a kid during the 1st world war, and she could speak a little welsh.

And in doing our DNA on Ancestry I have 18% Welsh DNA, my wife has 40% Irish DNA (no surprise there as her father was born in Belfast); and our son has 31% Celtic DNA.

So I might be English by birth, and both my paternal (Somerset) and maternal (Gloucestershire) ancestors can be traced back to the Norman invasion of 1066, but I have more admiration for the Celts, including Kernow (Cornwall), than I do for the Anglo-Saxons and Normans.

3. Eric Caunca profile image95
          Eric Cauncaposted 2 years agoin reply to this

What is its English translation? I'm just curious smile

“The Church of St Mary in the hollow of the white hazel near the rapid whirlpool and the church of St Tysilio near a red cave”

It was a made-up name in the 19th century because the village wanted to have the longest name. It was a publicity stunt. The original village name was Pwllgwyngyll, which means 'the pool of the white hazels'.

The railway station was called 'Llanfair', so they added all the rest of the name to it.

And if you are wondering where all the vowels are 'w' (oo) and 'y' (uh or ih) are vowels in Welsh big_smile

7. EricDockett profile image95
    EricDockettposted 2 years ago

Physicality

Every sports announcer likes to use the word "physicality" to describe how tough and aggressive a player is. I'm not even sure that's the best word choice or usage, but it just sounds doofy.

If I can watch sports without hearing the word "physicality"  ever again I would be pretty happy about it.

Hi Eric,
      Here’s something interesting. Please see number 28. smile
      https://bleacherreport.com/articles/807 … -in-sports

Thank you so much for your interesting response. smile

Sending Blessings!

8. Brenda Arledge profile image80
    Brenda Arledgeposted 2 years ago

Hey gal...
    If you delete " Why"  then whatcha gonna do???

Those questions just don't magically disappear.

As for deleting one word   I'm not sure.   Let me think on it.

Ahhh!!! I see. You want me to think about it again? tongue
      Again my mind say 'Why'? wink

Lots of Love and Blessings smile

9. Abby Slutsky profile image93
    Abby Slutskyposted 2 years ago

I think I would omit the word "no". However, someone would probably create an alternate with the same meaning pretty fast.

Abby, I am learning to say 'no' smile how about 'Nah'
      Love and Blessings!

10. Eric Caunca profile image95
    Eric Cauncaposted 2 years ago

All inventions and discoveries are products of “why, so you shouldn't delete it. smile

Yes, the world has made many big discoveries and inventions because of the word 'WHY' like I want to discover : why you deleted your previous comment on this forum? big_smile

Now again this question with the word 'Why' will keep me irritating that "Why" you did so? Please take some time to answer big_smile

11. SDMistry profile image72
    SDMistryposted 2 years ago

If I have to delete a word, I would delete 'If', because most of the time we keep thinking that 'If I had not said those words', If I was having more money...', 'If it was sunny today...' and so on. We don't appreciate the present/reality but keep thinking of 'Ifs'.
    Hence my choice is the word 'If'.

Interesting answer smile

I think 'If' is a skeptic's word. It's beneficial to exclude. But, how would life be without any doubts... Wondering... smile

Sending Blessings to you!!

12. Paddygsound profile image93
    Paddygsoundposted 2 years ago

Moist. I dislike the word as do many people; I guess. Haha

13. profile image0
    Vladimir Karasposted 2 years ago

Why delete any words? Even with 100% of them being in use, the world is displaying a pathetic lack of understanding each other. Even Shakespeare with his vocabulary wouldn't help the situation. I bet you, there are those who have no clue about what I just said -- you just can't make it simple enough for everybody.

Great response!  You are absolutely right we can't just make it simple enough for everybody smile
      I appreciate your beautiful and interesting response smile

I like your Just Say It as It Is style

Blessings always!!

14. profile image0
    Vladimir Karasposted 2 years ago

Glad you liked it, Misbah.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)