Acne

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (47 posts)
  1. Jessie Jatz profile image59
    Jessie Jatzposted 14 years ago

Anyone care to talk about Acne? I'll get the ball rolling - Finish this sentence. Acne is caused by....

1. acnetreatment3 profile image57
      acnetreatment3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

excessive oil in the skin - whcih is the root cause.

2. VIVALARAWR profile image59
      VIVALARAWRposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Bacteria, oil, and dirt on skin, when pores are clogged. I have answered this question, check it out on my second hub page. I hope I helped, and if you have anymore questions, just ask!

Sincerely,
      VIVALARAWR

2. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Zits yikes

Scientify term is Acne Vulgaris (latin word)

3. prettydarkhorse profile image55
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

stress and smoking plus unhealthy sleping habits, excess coffee too, avoid fatty foods and eat veggies a lot,

healthy living huh, Happy holidays to you Jessie Jatz

1. camlo profile image84
      camloposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I always had spots - not enough to call 'acne', but enough to make me feel ugly.

When I left home at 18, had to take on a second and third job to pay the rent, started smoking to relieve the stress and replace food (because I just didn't have time to eat properly, and when I did, it was from McDonald's), and drink coffee to stay awake, my spots all went away. I've had a perfect complexion ever since.

4. NaomiR profile image76
    NaomiRposted 14 years ago

Stress, for sure. I've been breaking out like a teenager lately because I've had so much going on in my life. I have a long vacation starting today, though, and it's already clearing up!

5. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

lack of sex

I like that

2. billysgomez profile image61
      billysgomezposted 13 years agoin reply to this

this is interesting, how does lack of sex cause acne?

1. Jeff Berndt profile image74
        Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, that's backward. Acne causes lack of sex.

2. Heathermom profile image58
        Heathermomposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lack of sex causes stress which then causes acne.

6. profile image51
    jared0379posted 14 years ago

Actually, acne is caused by your filtering organs... namely your kidney and liver, being so overloaded with stress and toxins that they can no longer effectively eliminate waste, toxins, and bacteria from your body so the skin which is the largest organ of your body becomes the medium for which the bacteria, waste, and toxins is eliminated thus causing acne.  Some people don't experience acne because their liver and kidney are stronger and more efficient than other peoples which is why some people can eat what they want and do other things and not get acne where as others would be!

7. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

crack cocaine lol

8. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 13 years ago

Acne is caused by infected sebaceous glands in the skin.
    All Infections, including such as those that cause acne
    should be treated by a doctor. It is a medical condition and should not be treated at home. As soon as you see any acne, you need to take antibiotics to reduce /prevent any scarring.

1. Glimmer515 profile image60
      Glimmer515posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I so agree! I suffered for years and tried every over the counter thing you can think of, I finally took one trip to see my doctor and he put me on Doryx and I have been 99% acne free since!!! Amazing and I should have seen a doctor all along.

1. profile image0
        Deborah Sextonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Most people will see a doctor for any other infection before they will get help for facial infections (acne) but the skin on the face scars so easily.
        Our faces are very important because, unfortunately, people judge us on how we look.
        I think the commercials for products to cure acne should be banned. They might help prevent acne, but they don't cure it.

In women, the leading cause is base makeup.
        I have never worn it because I saw what it did to a girl's face when I was young.

9. bhaskar_c profile image56
    bhaskar_cposted 13 years ago

may be hereditary

10. chigoiyke profile image59
    chigoiykeposted 13 years ago

I think the bitter truth is that lack of sex causes acne but am not sure how..? Anyways oily face certainly leads to acne. The face need to be washed well and dried regularly. Btw, we should be talking about its cure

11. hankorea profile image58
    hankoreaposted 13 years ago

There are many sources that causes acne. It's different for every person, we all have a different body chemistry. For me, personally I found that my diet was the source and cause of acne. I've tried many things to clear up but they all failed, they worked for many a week. Unfortunately it always came back. Until finally, I took the time to actually do some research about acne. People are hyped up and stressed out about the actual process of acne formation. I'm telling you guys, don't stress over this, it'll only make your acne worse, get this off your mind and never think of it again because it doesn't help at ALL. There isn't a penny to be gained by constantly barraging your mind with negativity and depressing thoughts of hopelessness. Once you've gotten that out of that way you're on your way to a clearer skin. You must take all the necessary actions, if all topical acne medication does not seem to have a permanent control over your acne, then stop using the product on a regular basis and switch over to organic nutrients. What I mean by this is take a look at your diet! Are you getting plenty of water, fruits and vegetables in your body? You are what you eat, your skin is directly effected by the food you intake, the digestive system plays an incredibly huge roll in acne breakouts. If this seems to be the case for you, check out my HUB, I only have one post since I am quite new at this. But thanks for taking the time to read this.

12. profile image52
    Hannah_beautyposted 13 years ago

A great over the counter product to use with acne is clean and clear advantage spot gel

13. profile image53
    fionadeogposted 13 years ago

haha. lacking of sex someone said....

acne is caused by bacteria that grow on oily face? hormone?

14. yenajeon profile image71
    yenajeonposted 13 years ago

People like to blame it on stress and oily foods BUT actually most people I encounter get acne from dirt! People do not wash their hands/face often enough. Pillows and anywhere else we put our faces need to be washed every week!

Be cleaner and you'll see a huge improvement with your skin!

1. VIVALARAWR profile image59
      VIVALARAWRposted 13 years agoin reply to this

True, Also bacteria, and excessive oil caused by lack of moisture. To prevent acne, wash and moisturize your face. Then eat healthy, avoid chocalate, soda, and greesy foods, and dont touch your face often. To releave stress, try excersizing which opens glands and pores.

Questions, Comments?

Visit My Hub:)

Hope I helped,

VIVALARAWR

15. evolveasite profile image59
    evolveasiteposted 13 years ago

oily skin which is caused by oily foods

16. Heathermom profile image58
    Heathermomposted 13 years ago

Lack of sex causes stress. Stress causes acne. IMHO

17. beauty@one profile image60
    beauty@oneposted 13 years ago

acne is caused when the overproduction of oil combines with the dead skin cells blocking the pores which then get infected with bacteria. hormones play a huge role in how much oil our skin produces and things like diet, stress, smoking and pollution can make it worse in some people. the key in controlling acne is to keep your skin as clean as possible. products containing benzoyl peroxide are great at keeping acne under control. if you have oily skin and break out every now and again products containing glycolic acid are good (these are great for anti-aging also). you dont have to stay away from make up either, make sure its oil free or choose a mineral makeup as these dont block the pores and always wash your makeup off before bed - ALWAYS. if you have severe acne - ie covers whole face and may appear on neck, chest and back also, see your doctor for treatments. hope this helps.

18. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Oh, brother.  I'm not even going to post my reply on the comment above (with the link) that inspired it. 

There's a person who doesn't know acne.  My son was eleven when he started breaking out.  That kid (all my kids) had healthy diets and exercise and sleep.  He was in sixth grade when he'd get up at five a.m. to do a face routine (with medication from the doctor) to try to take care of his face.  He'd do more "routine" when he got home from school, and then a night version of a routine before he slept.  It was heartbreaking to watch this kid, and - really - it had nothing to do with his not taking, or having, the time to care for his skin.  Once he got past those two years or so of that age, his skin returned to its previous flawless state.

One thing that aggravates/causes break-outs, though, is irritating the skin by scrubbing it too much.  Once it's irritated it sets the conditions for break-outs to start.  People shouldn't use scratchy facecloths, do things like lather their face with soap more than once, or use anything that irritates.  A lot of acne sufferers think they need to scrub more and more to get their skin cleaner and cleaner - and they make it worse.

1. beauty@one profile image60
      beauty@oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Having suffered acne myself as a teenager along with most of my friends and then learning about it as a beauty therapist leads me to believe that I know something about acne.

I want to make it clear that when I stated you need to keep your skin clean I did not mean scrubbing it to the point of irritation - you should never scrub your skin to that point even if you have normal skin. A simple cleansing routine morning and night with the appropriate skin care is sufficient. Ingredients like benzoyl peroxide and glycolic can be irritating to the skin for some people and in these cases its good to start on a low strength and build it up slowly. These treatments have been used for decades and are known to work for most people.

19. ponx profile image78
    ponxposted 13 years ago

caused by excessive oil, stress, eating oily foods.

20. Lisa Jamison profile image61
    Lisa Jamisonposted 13 years ago

Build up of oil, dead skin cells, and dirt, which leads to bacteria and more oil. This causes clogged pores and acne. People debate about other factors like diet.

But it's a fact that you can definitely improve or fix the problem with proper cleansing, exfoliation, and the right skin care products.

21. kazemaru2 profile image60
    kazemaru2posted 13 years ago

acne can be caused by both diet and genetics. It sounds harsh but those of us with excessive oil should stick to a clay based exfoliator to reduce acne marks.

22. profile image0
    Rhysjcposted 13 years ago

Not to blow my own trumpet but I've written a pretty good Hub on acne and spots. Check it out if you like smile

23. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

I am surprised how judgemental people can be of others who have acne.

24. Bredavies profile image62
    Bredaviesposted 13 years ago

Acne is caused my stress!

25. stylediva profile image54
    styledivaposted 13 years ago

Acne can be caused by many factors, all of which differ from person to person. There are natural at home remedies that work to cure, or at the very least alleviate the problem.

Most antibiotics and stronger skin remedies are derivatives plant, animal or human hormone. For instance Salicylic acid, often used to treat acnetic skin, is derived from the bark of the Willow Tree. Salicylic Acid works great for some. However, if you have sensitive skin, forget it.

I had perfect skin until about 3 years ago. I went to the doctors over and over, only to find that the antibiotics given to me dried out my skin and noticeably slowed the scar healing process. Also when I stopped applying them or when my body became used to them, the problem became much much worse. I had the same problem with chemical laden store bought products.

Within the last year, I have been using natural DIY treatments. They actually work incredibly well and my skin is brighter than ever before. Once mixed together, the ingredients I chose to use had anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, anti-oxidant and anti-fungal, basically anti-bloody everything, properties. They also contain a good mixture of vitamins and minerals.

To optimize, I drink Beetroot juice. It cleanses the blood - and so the liver and kidney. it's true, toxins will surface on your skin... Also picking will always make matters worse!!

The recipes are on my profile if you wanna give them a try.

26. annieloulaurel profile image58
    annieloulaurelposted 13 years ago

Based on experience, acne can be hormonal or environmental related. If the case is former, one can do a little to cure it. You just have to wait until your hormone levels become balanced. On the contrary, if it is the latter then faithfully follow a specific skin care regimen that effectively controls sebum production. The excessive presence of oil causes bacteria to proliferate and produce more bumps; thus, the cycle begins.

27. nicolenikki profile image41
    nicolenikkiposted 13 years ago

thanks for everyone comments...........

28. Calgarz profile image60
    Calgarzposted 13 years ago

...mostly stress and hormones.

29. Brittney JonesLV profile image60
    Brittney JonesLVposted 13 years ago

There are four stages of acne. the first stage is a pustul, the second is  a white head/ the third is a black head/ and the fourth stage is a pearl.

30. guy1973 profile image56
    guy1973posted 13 years ago

there are some very interesting comments here and ideas that i have never even thought of. there are many misconception about acne, and many myths surround the reason why people have acne, some people suggests that a lack of sex is a reason, i doubt that, sorry for my language, but if that was so nuns and priest are likely to be the most vulnerable! smile acne is caused by many factors, the identified ones are hormonal (internal factors) and environmental (external factors). whenever there is an increase in hormonal level (androgen hormone) it triggers an increase in sebum oil that if not wash properly clog pores along with other debris and cause the bactrium to manifest and cause acne breakout,personal hygiene is important as well as good diet.

31. Muneeb10 profile image57
    Muneeb10posted 13 years ago

stress and hormones indeed

32. Saloca profile image88
    Salocaposted 13 years ago

There are so many reasons why someone would suffer with acne, there is no definitive answer. Diet, hormones, stress, genes, age, location, the products they use, hygenie etc. And with no exact answer for the cause, there is no one answer for the solution.

I've suffered with acne for over 10 years and have managed to get it under control by knowing what causes it for me, but everyone is different. The best way to know what causes your acne is to start keeping a log. Record your eating habits, how much water you drink, exercise etc and try to identify a pattern. Your face is like a map for whats going on inside your body, understanding what the different areas are linked to can help explain the causes of your acne, but there are so many external factors too that it won't be an over night answer.

33. profile image52
    AOTPposted 12 years ago

definently oils and not washing. also stress and not drinking enough water throughout the day creates acne. read my hub for more its helped my friends alot. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)