do you ever READ and COMMENT to the hubs your "friends" make?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Veronica Bright profile image58
    Veronica Brightposted 15 years ago

I have a few "fans" on my list.  Although I know it may be impossible for some to comment on every one of their Fans hubs, don't you think it is common courtesy to make an effort?  I have written several comments on some of my "fans" hubs and never gotten the return respect.  I think that is rude and inconsiderate, and as writers, if we want our work read, then we should read the work of other's.  Do you agree?

1. Tater2tot profile image59
      Tater2totposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Nah, I don't necessarily comment on all my fan's hubs. I try to comment all around hubpages. Of course I find the people that I am fans of easier. (because hubpages sends it to my email)

And I try to become a fan of people that have interesting hubs to read. I mean I don't all the time because I sometimes agree with something they said in the forum and then go become their fan, without even looking at their hubs.

I don't expect them to comment but it would be nice if they came to check out my hubs. big_smile But I don't read or comment on all of the people I am fans of, so I don't expect any different.

But I am one of your fans, So I apologize for not commenting. I will be more respectful and comment more.

Tayler!

2. iXLproductions profile image57
      iXLproductionsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I make it a point to leave a comment in hubs i like. unfortunately, there are times when i enter a site and i have no idea what the writer is talking about so i just leave, but if i think the hub is really helpful for people, then i show my appreciation in behalf of those who dont bother to do it.

3. Dottie1 profile image61
      Dottie1posted 15 years agoin reply to this

You've only been with Hubpages for 4 weeks.  I am just recognizing you now.  It takes some time for people to get to know you and your work.  Give it a little more time. Much success to you. smile

2. Squimpleton profile image87
    Squimpletonposted 15 years ago

Well I don't usually comment unless I have something to say, but I do usually read the hubs of people I friend. If it's something obviously not my type then I won't read it, but I try to only follow people whose hubs will at least somewhat interest me. I figure if I'm going to see new publications on my hubtivity it might as well be from people I like.

3. embitca profile image82
    embitcaposted 15 years ago

No, I don't agree. I read other hubs when I have the time and I'm in the mood, but generally I don't and am not wink

I respond to comments left in my hubs, but I don't think anyone should feel compelled to comment on my hubs if I comment on theirs. I don't see any reason for a tit for tat relationship. I'd rather people do what they like based upon their desire and not what they think they may get in return or a sense of obligation. This frees me up to read what truly interests me and interact when I feel compelled to do so by the content rather than by anyone's notions about appropriate manners. If I have nothing to say, then I don't say anything.

As far as readers go, I'm more interested in getting readers coming from the search engines than from within Hubpages. It's the SE visitors who put the dimes in my pocket smile If you want your work read, concentrate on writing good content and developing good back links.

I prefer the forums for getting to know my fellow hubbers. And I never worry about my popularity in any environment so it would never occur to me to think anyone rude or inconsiderate for not reading my hubs or not leaving comments. I think time is better spent creating new hubs anyway.

4. profile image0
    Ananta65posted 15 years ago

I agree with both. I make an effort to read the hubs that my friends (people I’m a fan of) publish. I also make an effort to leave them a comment. But it all depends on the time I have available. It’s simply impossible to read every hub they publish. Second, not every hub will raise my attention. Hubs containing recipes, for instance, are not my kind of thing, so I leave those for what they are. And I don’t want anybody to feel compelled to read and comment on mine either.

5. spryte profile image74
    spryteposted 15 years ago

In agreement pretty much on all the reasons as well...
    I'm finding that probably 90% of my fan base has some sort of shared interest and unfortunately I don't have the time to immediately read a piece of their work.  I'd rather take the time at some point and read a piece before leaving a comment, rather than to do it just because they're my fan.  They deserve to have their piece given my full attention.
    The remaining 10% of my fan base...well, I wonder about some of them.  When I look at their list of hubs and their profile I can't see why they'd be interested in my work.  Furthermore, if they've even READ my stuff...they've never left a comment.  Perhaps they are on a fan-gathering mission...or trying to increase traffic to their own site.  I dunno...

1. profile image0
      Ananta65posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Guilty as sin lol

Seriously, I become the fan of an author because I appreciate his/her work. But that doesn't mean that I like all of their hubs. Some topics I find less interesting. It's as simple as that.

6. Marian Swift profile image60
    Marian Swiftposted 15 years ago

One more confession ...

Sometimes I'll very much appreciate a hub, but simply can't come up with a good comment to make.

Time's another factor.  I read fast, but write slow.

Either way, I'll rate a good hub up (if reading it for the first time).  At least that's something.

7. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 15 years ago

Like others, I come down in the middle of this one. People I'm a fan of are likely to write hubs I'll want to read, and then I'll comment if there seems something to add. I don't join fan clubs casually, but lots of people do. When someone joins mine I usually look at their profile, and if I see that they've joined the fan clubs of everyone with a score in the 90s, all in the space of half an hour, I'm not likely to take a lot of interest.

What would be an interesting addition to the stats would be a list of hubbers who had visited a hub, because sometimes I wonder if x, y or z have read something.

8. Just_Rodney profile image70
    Just_Rodneyposted 15 years ago

I find that some hubbers, myself included, do write several types of interest hubs. You will get people who like the one style, but not the other. So I may read some of the hubbers work, but not all of it. I will coment where something grabs my interest, and won't if there is nothing.

I expect every one to do the same thing more for me as well. Not a tit for tat type thing. Open honesty. yikes

9. sixtyorso profile image70
    sixtyorsoposted 15 years ago

I generally read the hubs of the people that i am a fan of. I mostly comment but sometimes if I have nothing to say I will "thumbs up" if I like it.. Not all my "friends" write on subjects I am interested in but I do read recipes, how to hubs, self help hubs over and above the writers I like. Some writers give me hours of fun and mirth on particular humerous topics. But bear in mind you gather many fans over time  and I think in the case of non US hubbers bandwidth can be a limiting factor too. Also many of the writers I enjoy are publishing pretty frequently making keeping up a bit daunting sometimes. Time zones play a role too. I might only comment some days after a hub is published.

10. C.V.Rajan profile image60
    C.V.Rajanposted 15 years ago

I had been in some other blog sites too where we "catch" friends. At times, some one becomes your fan and writes a "great blog!" comment on yours (even though the fact may be contrary!). So you are forced to visit their blog and return a compliment! If you are not really too serious about writing or reading good articles, then you can happily develop an attitude "Let me scratch your back and you please do it on me!". This goes for a while till any one or both of them get tired of it!

But if you are a selective and earnest reader, then you are unlikely to keep posting comments UNLESS you find it really worth commenting. - This is one category of writers.

Another category is the highly selfish ones. They come and join your fan club just for hooking you to come and read theirs. They want more readership for their articles. That's all! They do not really bother to visit you and read yours,

This is my personal opinion.

CVR

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)