How much money do you save on groceries - when using coupons?

Jump to Last Post 1-38 of 38 discussions (62 posts)
  1. Karina S. profile image60
    Karina S.posted 14 years ago

How much money do you save on groceries - when using coupons? (per month)

1. falcon64 profile image59
      falcon64posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I used coupon not most of the time. Maybe $10 dollars a month for my favorite pizza house.

2. Habby profile image60
      Habbyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do use coupons, but prefer to save money using the store brand item.  I save lots more money this way.  The main way I save money at the store is to plan menus for the week that use some of the same items: pico, feta cheese, rotisserie chicken, etc. This way, I don't waste those items.

3. CRMoneysaver profile image59
      CRMoneysaverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I follow several bloggers and am learning to REALLY use coupons.  I went to Target last night and saw my total go from $155 to $105.  Some people probably do much better but I'm still learning.  I'm pretty proud of saving $50 on one run though:)

1. Moms-Secret profile image76
        Moms-Secretposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Are you saving more now?  I hope so!

4. MarloByDesign profile image77
      MarloByDesignposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Over $20 - I love coupons!

5. webguyonline profile image57
      webguyonlineposted 13 years agoin reply to this

above $50, i usually use coupons,  most of them are found online.

6. arsenicandoldlace profile image60
      arsenicandoldlaceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Coupons are a stupid waste of time. Picture trying to cut them out and file them and then find them again when you are shopping with five hungry kids. I once dumped my whole purse out at the check out aisle to find a coupon for an expensive brand of peanut butter and to hunt down the extra $1.00 in change it was going to cost me to afford it! Store and sale brands are much more economical both in time and money.

1. MarloByDesign profile image77

arsenicandoldlace, I completely disagree with you. If you keep your coupons organized, they end up saving you lots of money. Take it from me and many members of my family.

7. 4closurefraud32 profile image60
      4closurefraud32posted 13 years agoin reply to this

coupons along with shopping the store sales and brands can save you big! i recently woke up and switched to this method of shopping and easily save over $100 each month and about 33% off my average bill. i always sign up for the grocery store circulars to see when store sales are going on and organize brand coupons around that... hope it helps!

8. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

none, I am diabetic and the coupons don't cover health foods and such, very few apply

1. Danddman profile image60
        Danddmanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm diabetic as well and coupons do help a lot.  The secret is to MAKE healthy food. Quit buying so called healthy, prepackaged meals. Processed foods are not healthy for the most part.  Buy your basics and make your own healthy meals.  They taste better anyway

9. Financial Help profile image58
      Financial Helpposted 12 years agoin reply to this

To be honest with you, you can save thousands. I was watching this show "Extreme Couponers" where consumers would save a bunch of coupons throughout the week. When they go to the store, they would get 450 to 800 dollars worth of product for free!

10. Jill Larson profile image56
      Jill Larsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We typically save around $200 a month between couponing and price matching using ads.  I definitely feel that the time invested in couponing pays off.

2. dahoglund profile image71
    dahoglundposted 14 years ago

I actually quit using coupons because I find it more cost effective to by alternate products that are cheaper than the coupon brand even with the coupon. Also because of the inflation of prices the amount off on coupons doesn't really amount to as much as it used to.

1. amurbach profile image61
      amurbachposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There are many techniques with getting dirt cheap prices using coupons.  Here's one:

Use your buy 1/get 1 free coupons in combination with buy 1/get 1 frees sales that are advertised that way you buy just 1 and end up getting 2 things free and with some stores you can use two coupons in which would further deduct from the price.

Go to my page at http://hubpages.com/hub/Extreme-Couponi … Strategies for other ideas.

3. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

i never clip coupons. i have heard, though, of some people buying like two carts of groceries and paying like ten bucks for it when using coupons. maybe that is an urban legend...

Karina S.posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I usually save $10-15 every two weeks using coupons

1. profile image0
        cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hmm maybe i should look into that.

2. profile image52
      ladycat999posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not an urban legend. Google coupon forums and learn all the tricks. You can get hundreds of $$$ worth of stuff every month with very little work, and yes it's all legit. And it doesn't have to be all processed foods (one of the reasons I hear that people don't want to coupon). You can do it organically.

4. marcel285 profile image64
    marcel285posted 14 years ago

I don't bother with coupons. When something i like is on special, i just but in bulk. Buying in bulk is the best way to save money. I used to buy a 100g packet of nescafe coffee once a week at about $5.00 a packet. Now i buy a 500gm tin of it when it's on special at about $15 dollars, and it lasts for about 6 weeks.

I used to buy small packets of meat, one for each night, at about $6 - 8 dollars, for steak and chicken, for 400-500gms. Now i buy chicken breast by the kg, at $10.00 a kg, divide it up at home, glad wrap, and freeze in 400- 5oogm portions. It saves heaps of money.

I used to spend about $120 on groceries a week, for my partner and i, now it averages out to about $80 a week.

Thanks for good tips, marcel

5. Quilligrapher profile image72
    Quilligrapherposted 14 years ago

I typically save $3 to $5 a week by using manufacturers' coupons.  But this is nothing compared to the 30% to 40% I save just by stocking up on specials found in the weekly circulars.  I buy enough of a non-perishable item to last until the next time it goes on sale.   Soaps, detergents, paper products, and many packaged food products are good candidates for savings.  An hour spent making my shopping list from the store's weekly circular usually yields ten times more than I save with coupons.
    Q.

another great idea.

2. Beth100 profile image69
      Beth100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you Q.  I also use the "we beat our competitors pricing" guarantee to lower the sales price.  lol  As for meals, I plan the menu around the sales items...takes a bit of work, but well worth the effort.

6. Milla Mahno profile image60
    Milla Mahnoposted 14 years ago

I don't bother, sorry gals smile

7. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

Well, I save on average $40 per week through the use of coupons and about another $60 per week by buying items on sale.  smile  No, it's not an urban legend...one can save a lot of money.  Also, I do this at one store, not driving all over the city to save $0.10 on one item and then drive to another to save another $0.25 on another item.  This is not cost effective!  lol  For me, it's worth the effort.  big_smile

Good for you, Beth. You are one smart lady.

8. TLMinut profile image60
    TLMinutposted 14 years ago

My friend (with five kids) saves LOTS of $$ by buying what's on sale using coupons, circulars, doubling (some such thing). She has a whole plan but now that she's gotten organized with it, it only takes her about 30 minutes/week to do the paperwork. It's definitely worth it for her. Might for us too but we don't eat all that much to FEEL like it's worth the trouble.

9. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I love using coupons...that reminds me...I need to cut mroe out when they come in the mail smile

10. Rochelle Frank profile image92
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

I used to and sometimes they are useful, but I have found that most of the products that are heavily advertised and promoted with coupons are usually the ones that are heavily processed and loaded with chemicals I no longer want to eat.
    I have gone way over to using a lot of fresh and simple foods. My diet is much better.

11. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

wow, i just throw all of those coupons from sunday's paper and wednesday's mail in the recycle bin. imma use them now!

12. magnoliazz profile image63
    magnoliazzposted 14 years ago

I never use coupons, because it is still more expensive to buy name brands even with a coupon, compared to the store brands. My favorite is Roundys.

I also buy in bulk. Buying in bulk saves big.

13. profile image50
    Berta456posted 14 years ago

I use coupons almost daily saving an average of around $100.00 a week,in fact i havent paid for a bottle of shampoo conditioner,deodorant,toothpaste body wash,bar soap or razors in almost 2 years.Not to mention all the free cereal and other food i get with my coupons.My friends call me the queen of free and are always want to know if i have an extra bottle of shampoo i can spare,so when i bring out  the big plastic tote full i tell them to pick out what ever kind thy want I HAVE MORE.Thanks for reading berta456

1. MarloByDesign profile image77

You are a person after my own heart and style - I am the same way - I use coupons and virtually get many products for free! Got to love BOGO free offers while also using a coupon at the same time. For example, two deodorants ends up costing me 50 cents each!

14. Rafini profile image83
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

I don't save as much or as often as I would like.  I mostly use coupons for things like laundry detergent, dish soap, toothpaste...I have found most of the food coupons are for things I don't usually buy so it isn't worth it for me to buy it with the coupons.

15. drbj profile image78
    drbjposted 14 years ago

i save $2 or $3 whenever I shop with coupons, but I save over $20 if I don't buy the products in the first place.
    Too oftem I use the coupons for something I could live without.

16. lisaduncan profile image60
    lisaduncanposted 14 years ago

I have all good intentions to use coupons ... but fail miserably. I may cut them out, bring them to the store and then forget to redeem. Instead I've developed a number of coupon-free grocery saving strategies that are sure to have me saving large without the redemption issues.

-  Stock up sales
    -  BOGO free sales
    -  Being brand loyal and watching for sales on those items
    -  Buying quality store brands -- this saves BIG -- and working in the industry, I know that many store brands are name brands in different packaging
    -  Shop weekly (or less) versus meal shopping
    -  Make and list ... and stick to it

The list goes on...

17. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

As my wife explained when our daughter asked why there was so much of one brand of soup in our pantry:

"I had to buy it - it kept being on sale!"

18. tritrain profile image70
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

A few dollars.

I really should use coupons more.

19. KristenGrace profile image59
    KristenGraceposted 13 years ago

Between thirty and fifty dollars.  Coupons can be amazinggg  tongue

20. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

that is the major reason I don't use them. I don't buy that food. I usually buy items on sale, especially when they have BOGO free or buy at a farmer's market.

good advice, lisaduncan.

21. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

I never use coupons, but ever since I started planning my weekly recipes on Sunday, shopping only what I need for those recipes, plus the necessary items for the week such as toilet paper, shampoo, toothpaste, etc. I've been able to save a lot of money. I go with my list, look for what I need and buy nothing more.

22. profile image0
    Martyv25posted 13 years ago

I tend to find that using coupons is no good at all, the only time you use them is for things you do not really need. If you did not have the coupon then you probably would not buy the item. I don't think you can save that much using coupons.

23. Candelish profile image59
    Candelishposted 13 years ago

I started couponing a little over 2 months ago.  At first I thought like a lot of you - what's the point for a couple of dollars saved here and there? Then as I did more research and collected multiple coupons, I began to see the savings add up.  I am changing how we eat by adding a lot more fresh fruits and veggies with the money I save couponing.  Here are 2 examples:  one night at Wal. Pharmacy, I chose over $35 in items and only paid $4.04 for all of them, and they were items I normally purchase!  The one that REALLY made me stand up and take notice was the time we went to Winn- and I chose over $200 in grocery items, that we normally use, and only paid $130 for everything and $30 was all fresh fruit and vegetables!  If you take the way you are shopping currently (if you stock up on BOGO items  & multiple product sales) then add couponing on top of it, the savings DO add up to a very noticeable difference.  I've only been a member of HupPages for a week and my very first Hub was about couponing and stockpiling to save money to hedge against the inflation coming.   That’s how much my attitude has changed!  There’s links on it for excellent coupon websites to help you learn the ropes.  There are a lot of crappy sites out there so you have to be careful.  These assisted me immensely and I don't even get any affiliate money for recommending them! big_smile If you're interested, take a look.

24. wampyrii profile image64
    wampyriiposted 13 years ago

Personally, I save around $30 - $40 per month using coupons, but I'm not very good at keeping organized. I guess the plan is to save the manufacturer coupons until you see the item go on sale and then use the coupon so you get the product for virtually nothing. There's a couple of websites which help you find those deals in your local area but like I said, I'm not good at keeping organized. My savings mostly come from the costco coupon book which drops in my lap once a month and a few random offers which also come to me rather than me seeking them out. wink

That said, I guess if you are really organized you can save hundreds of dollars. I've even heard how people combine coupons and sales to get the item for next to nothing and then turn around and garage sale the lot to make a profit (or donate their freebies to various charities in the more charitable cases).

Some people have the whole thing down to an art form.

1. Tammy's Tidbits profile image60
      Tammy's Tidbitsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i save $60+ a month on manufacturer coupons, then save even more buy using our grocers store card. I only buy what the store offers on sale and what my coupons are that week. I typically find that the wk before a coupon expires, our Giant has those items on sale as well - so a double savings. I bought a Coupon Pro binder and love it! Keeps me organized:)

25. classicalgeek profile image82
    classicalgeekposted 13 years ago

When I moved, I didn't have any groceries. So I combined sales, coupons, and reward cards to stock up. I filled up the bed of my father's pickup truck with stuff I normally eat for $30. It takes a while to get organized but it's definitely worth it. My mother is retired and has more time than I do, and some months she actually makes about $10.

26. melpor profile image92
    melporposted 13 years ago

I never really use coupons because they are generally for undesirable products like sodas, cakes, and many other high calorie foods. I seldom find coupons for grocery products I want to buy. I often noticed people buying stuff because they have a coupon for it. They are actually spending more money instead of saving money when coupons are used that way.

27. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 13 years ago

Alot of coupons are useless because I avoid many of the things like processed foods and sodas; however, I still manage to save about 40% by combining coupons and in store specials. I am careful to read the price per oz.on tags and pick the best value. I also buy store brands whenever possible. It takes time, but it all helps.

28. sosiecki profile image59
    sosieckiposted 13 years ago

Its true alot of coupons are for processed food with fillers,but
    there are many great ones too.Going straight to the web sites you can find q's other than listed on coupons.com,Red plum,etc.My wife says we've cut our grocery bill about sixty percent per month and we do'nt eat much junk.My wife's an old time cook from scratch cook.

29. coloradomom profile image60
    coloradomomposted 13 years ago

I am trying to learn how to save money using coupons, but it seems I spend more time cutting out the coupons and organizing them and before you know it - they have expired. What is the piece to the puzzle? I just can't seem to convince myself that it works. When I go shopping, I usually buy the sale items and if I have a coupon I will use it, but mostly the sale items dont have coupons.

1. BMG profile image57
      BMGposted 13 years agoin reply to this

that coupon only beneficial to whom like shopping...

30. MarloByDesign profile image77
    MarloByDesignposted 13 years ago

I save, at a minumun, $5-$10 a week. I have a great organizer I carry around with me (always in my car), so I never miss a great deal!

31. Pamela Sarzana profile image58
    Pamela Sarzanaposted 12 years ago

I just started about 10 weeks ago. I watched tutorials on youtube.  I found some I liked showing me the best way to set up the binder and use the coupons. I use a binder and tabbed dividers. Usually clip and organize my coupons on Sundays.

32. Pamela Sarzana profile image58
    Pamela Sarzanaposted 12 years ago

I forgot to say how much I save. I save about five hundred dollars a month.

33. Dawn Conklin profile image68
    Dawn Conklinposted 12 years ago

It is hard for me to say exactly how much I save as some weeks there are more coupons for things that I use then other weeks.  Some weeks there are not many coupons for stuff I use. 
    My Aunt uses coupons every shopping trip and the money she saves goes into a jar.  Say she had $20 worth of coupons, $20 goes into a jar.  It all adds up and they have used that money for things they wanted such as new TV and other things.  It really is a great idea for anybody looking to save money for another day.

34. Disturbia profile image59
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

I don't bother with coupons mainly because they are usually for brands I wouldn't by anyway.  I'm not going to buy something I don't want just because of a coupon.

35. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

About $160 a week, more or less. It has gotten really expensive!

36. profile image53
    ddmemberposted 12 years ago

My girlfriend always look for coupons and it is pretty effective - we save around 50 - 100$ every week. I also have another trick save money. I use this android app  - SnyervBPrice1.0 Scanner . It allows you to scan the product's barcode and shows you all the information about the product, including where you can find the same product for a better price.

37. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years ago

My sister used to say that couponing wasn't worth it - that there aren't coupons for the stuff she uses, just like many of the posters in this forum.  One day, I went shopping with her.  I brought my coupon box.  She filled up the cart with the stuff she usually buys.  I simply looked through my coupon box for the things she had purchased, without asking her to buy a different size or a different quantity.  Simply, whatever was in the cart was matched up with a coupon.  I was able to save her $10, and would have been able to save even more if I had asked her to buy a bigger size, a different brand or a different quantity.

You can really save money by buying the things you normally buy, although adjusting a little bit saves you a great deal.  Adjusting your purchase schedule to match the sales, sometimes buying in bulk, saves you even more.

38. jcales profile image55
    jcalesposted 11 years ago

I don't go out of my way to find and use them. For pizzas I do though.
    Groceries and personal items, if the paper is there or on sale it is good enough for me since I don;t buy newspapers. I am a tree hugger.
    For car repairs and online purchases, I look for coupons, for clothing I tend to wait for sales at Macys.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)