Agressive Commenters

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (88 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Tammy Lochmannposted 14 years ago

Just thought I would ask to see how other people handle them.  I just delete them and don't acknowlege, I have found that if you answer it just gets worse.

Who has this problem?

1. LaVieja profile image61
      LaViejaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I haven't as yet, experienced that, but I am new. However, I have noticed that some of the forums can be quite aggressive, I am not sure how to deal with that either!

1. profile image0
        Tammy Lochmannposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I avoid the forums most of the time unless it is something fun.  But I got someone today that was a real pain....I love that delete button.

1. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not to get off topic Tammy and in no way do I want to hi-jack your thread, but I feel compelled to tell you something?

I LOVE that picture of you. big_smile smile cool

1. profile image0

Thanks [blushing] Cags you just made my day wink

You're welcome. I noticed it yesterday. big_smile Was thinking of using it in my hub. smile

1. profile image0

smile

2. Cagsil profile image70

Btw- it's nice to know you blush easily. lol lol j/k big_smile tongue

2. Army Infantry Mom profile image61
      Army Infantry Momposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I post thier comment then simply tell them I appreciate there comments,..whether we see eye to eye or not.

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I haven't had this problem because I don't generally write on contentious issues.  If someone simply had a contrary opinion and expressed it forcefully, I'd leave it in the spirit of free speech.  If I decided to reply and the exchange degenerated into a slanging match, I'd delete the whole exchange.

Anything rude or profane, I'd delete straight up.

1. wsp2469 profile image60
        wsp2469posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Seriously though, I agree with most of what Marisa said.
        It's about free speech.
        I don't even care if it's rude or profane since you can really only say so much in HP.  I have had a couple people reply with their first reactions and kiss and make up with me in e-mails but I still keep their initial negative comment published.
        Luckily, the negative vibes in all but one case were a result of something that had nothing to do with me when all was said and done.

4. wsp2469 profile image60
      wsp2469posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Look, you should be f***ing I comment on your writing!

5. goldenpath profile image68
      goldenpathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Being of a closely watched and "demeaned" religion I am prodded quite often both on the internet as well as out in the real world.  First thing to remember is discipline.  You must have enough integrity and discipline to not write or post anything on the internet that you truly don't believe or cannot back up.  This is your defense.  If you have a deep testimony or belief in what you are writing you will know how to handle the crap that will be handed you.

For me I suppress the rhetoric with kindness.  Contention only breeds contention.  If I get a nasty note, which I just did on another thread, I reply with kindness and never respond to that person again on that topic.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think this is a good approach.  Attacking back only inflames the situation.  It's not a question of turning the other cheek, it's about behaving as though you're above such childish behaviour.

1. goldenpath profile image68
          goldenpathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the comment!
          It can be very difficult not to reply with the same force as was shown to you.  However, we must remember that one of man's most cherished downfall is pride.  It is pride that wants us to defend against words of others with contention.  Words will never hurt us as long as we don't let them. 

However, if you are an extremely sensitive type just forget forums, keep hubbing and disable the comments capsule.  I've got faith in you though.

2. The Rope profile image61
          The Ropeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Here! Here!  It's also about the value of the statement to the hub - if it adds value, even if it is another opinion, leave it.  Remember that even negative or contentious statements can have value in the overall read, your job is to go beyond or above them, don't take the bait - be the grown up.  Your reputation will benefit in the long run.  I've had spam which I deleted of course and a negative or two but those I always leave.  I have faith in my fellow readers - they'll see it for what it is.

6. Sara Tonyn profile image60
      Sara Tonynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's probably because you're one of those punk rocker delinquents. (na-na-na-na-na-na-na, I want to start a fight!)

I don't have those problems because I'm shy.

And cuz nobody reads my hubs cuz they suck.

1. profile image0

How did you know that was the one?  So what I'm still a rockstar.

Your hubs don't suck.  I read them.  smile

1. Sara Tonyn profile image60
          Sara Tonynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cuz I'm psychic.

Oops, wait. That's psycho.

Never mind.

lol lol

2. profile image0

Psycho psychic not much difference from what I've seen.  LOL...ur really funny Sara.  smile  Witty that's why you are such a good writer.

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image73
        Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Stop begging for compliments... (You write really well and you know it.)

7. profile image0
      B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have gotten very upset over it before, now I simply ignore it...
      I would not make fun of others, and do not ever think anyine should make fun of me...
      "Treat others only how you want to be treated"

I stay away from the chiches now and things have been bettter for me..I have been having some personal issues outside of hubpageres and got some pretty horible comments when I tried to talk about it, so I only post on threads that are now harmless and keep my issues  that do not matter to hubpages to myself..

yet I will always try to help another with my knowledge or feelings when they are hurting or in need.

~ Kerry

8. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Funny thing is for all the time I've been here I did not really have too aggressive commenters. Like bark a bit in comments and go away, nothing major.

But lately I got to see something extraordinaire.

The guy appeared on one of my hubs a few days ago. He picked up a line from one of my comments on that hub that did not have much relevance to the hub topic, put this line totally out of context and promptly proceeded to fight a straw man he just created.

We exchanged a couple of more comments - of course I was making fun out of him - and then he disappeared. I already forgot about the incident, but yesterday I stumbled upon a hub of him, specifically created to fight this straw man, and to bash me personally. Seriously, I did not see that much of venom spitted on me since the infamous hub titled "Mark and Misha are condescending vaginas".

I would say it would be an extreme case of aggressive commenter. But Tammy, you just left a comment on that guy's hub, saying you agree to every word this guy said. Isn't it a bit hypocritical? Just a tiny bit? smile

9. yenajeon profile image70
      yenajeonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't know what you mean exactly by aggressive, but I've had *pervert* commentors; whose messages I delete. Because ugh! who wants to deal with a pervert?

1. myownworld profile image73
        myownworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

don't get me started here! All those ridiculous comments which have NOTHING to do with your hubs but just go something like ' hi hot pic, wanna be friends?'  and so on....  roll Just delete!

1. NateSean profile image67
          NateSeanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are those actual hubbers? I know non-hubbers can comment here, from what I've seen in other comment pages. I bet anything they don't even have a sentence written much less an account.

2. yenajeon profile image70
          yenajeonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Amen! Maybe we need to change our pictures to trolls. Do you think we'd get those comments then?

1. myownworld profile image73
            myownworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

smile we are who we are, why should we change for anyone? Keep smiling....AND deleting! wink

10. profile image0

I just got my first one today..I deleted it and forgot about it untill now..I remember the name they used, and I tried my best to see if it was a hubber and the name did not even register..left a very nasty comment on my paranormal site, saying if I believed in the paranormal I was crazy and needed help and it was all a bunch of Bu$$sh$$ to them..

deleted, gone..

probly was just someone who did it to others with paranormal sites and did not even stick around to do any hubbing , etc. as far as I can tell..

does not matter, we know we all write decent hubs...

Cagsilposted 14 years ago

A lot of people who claim to be aware of their own ignorance, but when their ignorance is shown to them, they refuse to see it. smile

I realize in saying that, I could be seen as ignorant. However, I am only ignorant in the aspect of knowledge, not life. smile

1. tobey100 profile image59
      tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Dang good answer.  As I right so many hubs on politics I get alot of very long winded comments trying to convince me I've lost my mind.  The irritating thing to me is that facts usually don't bother them too much.  I might have 3 comments from 3 different hubbers that say the same thing almost to a word.  Damn near spam.  I delete them usually.

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

And, to answer you post- I delete their comments from my Hub, but deal head to head with them in the forum.

1. profile image0

Cags...but you aren't mean.  I didn't initiate someone to say something ugly...you've read my hubs, nothing to get upset over... smile

army infantry mom.  I tried that today and they got worse with exclamation marks and the whole thing LOL.  smile

1. Army Infantry Mom profile image61
        Army Infantry Momposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well then I'd suggest doing what Cagsil does,.. smile

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

me too. i refuse to let people leave graffiti on my hubs. i will go head to head in the forums sometimes, but usually if someone is just poking me for their own stupid purposes, i ignore them like the plague that they are. i'm not afraid to defend my position in the forums, but i refuse to argue pointlessly with people who enjoy arguing for the sake of arguing. but my hus are different because i work hard on those and i won't allow anyone to besmirch them.

4. fastfreta profile image75
    fastfretaposted 14 years ago

I did get one once and I did as you did.  I deleted it.  I find the HubPages community by and large are the best.  Actually the one that I got came from outside of HubPages.

1. profile image0

freta...this one was from outside too.  It was spam and I explained nicely and it was answered by an attack.  smile

1. profile image0

tobey, couldn't agree more.  smile

5. mikelong profile image59
    mikelongposted 14 years ago

I can be aggressive....I realize this...but it is for the greater good...

1. profile image0

Nothing wrong with being aggressive in the right forum...seriously

6. Daniel Carter profile image61
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

Trolls and spammers I delete. I also delete haters, bigots and fight-mongers. Sensible, responsible objections to my writings I allow. I think it's pretty obvious about the intentions some commenters have, and I just deal with it accordingly.

1. profile image0

Cool...if I may say so I am mostly correct for deleting a jerk.  Wish I had a delete button in real life.  Maybe this is why some people are so addicted to the cyberlife.  smile

7. wsp2469 profile image60
    wsp2469posted 14 years ago

All your other commenters are f***ing wrong and i am f***ing right!

roll lol lol

8. wsp2469 profile image60
    wsp2469posted 14 years ago

I am gonna post a lotta links with my comments too because i am so convinced I can make money like this as opposed to actually working!

1. profile image0

roll  comment away I have my delete button.

1. profile image0

Marissa, wsp2469,  I don't write anything that I can't back up.  I was just curious.  How others handled these situations.    This person was angry he thought I called his comment spam so he had to attack...so I deleted.  It was rather comical really.  Some people take themselves too seriously.  The link the guy posted was to his website selling stuff.....so it was spam.  LOL  big_smile

9. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

I leave all comments. The few that are nasty, I find them funny. Sometimes I reply, sometimes  I don't. I think it shows what kind of dumb is posting. It's like a reference: showing true colours.

1. profile image0

tantrum, I totally agree.  You are so smart!

1. tantrum profile image60
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks !
        Nice to meet you ! smile

2. blondepoet profile image65
      blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have left some too especially the really bizarre ones, you have to leave a little entertainment for your readers when they come. smile

lol
        Yes! they're funny. People wasting their time trying to make feel bad
        lol

1. blondepoet profile image65

Thats it hey Tantrum. smile

10. blondepoet profile image65
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

Read them, chuckle, delete. Sticks and stones will break my bones.....

1. profile image0

Tantrum...we met the other day remember the Bill Clinton Play...I changed my avatar pic.  LOL smile
      Blondepoet...smile

lol lol
        I didn't recognize you !!
        that's funny !!
        I post so much, I can't remember all ! big_smile

1. profile image0

tantrum...that's okay that's what I figured...Price you got to pay to be popular  big_smile

2. blondepoet profile image65

Hi Tammy

1. profile image0

Hi there!

11. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

Eh...I delete the ones that I think are rude and all...

12. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Hey blonde ! big_smile

Hey Tantrum smile smile

13. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

What everyone else said, I just delete and giggle.

Hey all!

Hey Jane

Hi Jane. smile

14. AdsenseStrategies profile image64
    AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years ago

I'd have said you should keep your aggressiveness for the forums smile. And even then, try to be tongue-in-cheek where you can. If you are going to challenge someone on their own hub, you should try to be polite, show some respect, and probably end with a pleasant greeting.

1. profile image0

I should say that I have never gotten a stinker from HubPage users at least not yet.  If you read my hubs you would laugh. smile

15. wyanjen profile image71
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

You are not obligated to accept comments, or to justify your decision if you deny the comment.
    There is nothing wrong with denying and ignoring.
    It's your hub, you are in control of it - do what you think it right for you. smile

Personally I have never denied a comment apart from bizarre spam that doesn't even include my keyword.

Frankly, it is the negative comments that I like the best smile
    They strengthen my own argument in most cases.

16. aware profile image65
    awareposted 14 years ago

how do i get me one of theses aggressive commentator's? i could use a few more hundred of those  type of readers. lol

17. NateSean profile image67
    NateSeanposted 14 years ago

What "Aware" just said.

As long as it's not outright insulting I have no problem with it as the more heated the debate the more people will read my hubs.

1. Eileen Hughes profile image62
      Eileen Hughesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

NATE SEAN  YOUR ARE ONE OF THE OFFEN DERS.  SORRY BUT I JUST READ ONE OF YOUR COMMENTS ON A HUB AND I WAS DISCUSTED.

1. NateSean profile image67
        NateSeanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm not wasting my breath on you.

18. tobey100 profile image59
    tobey100posted 14 years ago

B.C., honey we ain't all bad.  Hit Texan up.  He'll set ya straight.

1. profile image0

Thank you..I know , A TEXAN is always kind and very good to me..I do not feel he would ever hurt me on these forums or in general life..

He is a good man, yes indeed  smile

19. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

On HP i just got one negative comment, on my other blogs plenty of negative comments but that helped most of time. Trolls are part of traffic as well  tongue

20. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

I allow all comments to be published on my Hubs even the ones that are not nice.....no good looking for free speech if we deny it even to our critiques smile

21. myownworld profile image73
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

I write on very sensitive/controversial issues, so I have to deal with all kinds of feedback, esp. outside hubpages. It's the 'tone' of the comment that decides it for me.  If it's an objection to what I write about, if said in a civil enough manner, I publish the comment. And then personally email the sender and explain.

But if someone is just being rude or insulting without contributing anything other than a personal attack, i draw the line. e.g. on of one my hubs on immigrants, I got a comment saying, 'go back to your country ..blah blah we hate you!'....I just deleted it and moved on. smile

1. profile image0

I am so glad to know that a lot of you just delete.  I was hoping I wasn't alone.  Great advice everyone.  I haven't gotten any rude attacks from hubbers...the community here has been nothing but supportive.

22. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I've never received a negative or confrontational comment.
    It depends what it would say and how it would affect the page.
    It's our page, we can do whatever we want with it, within TOS.

I see no reason to attack someone who has left a message in comments that you leave open to anyone. and anyone who writes something that could be controversial should be ready for any and all kinds of comments. if they attack the author, like mow said, I would delete it also. no reason to go down to their level.

I think sometimes hubbers forget that this site is open to the world.

23. profile image0
    Audreveaposted 14 years ago

If you study journalism, they tell you if noone gets p!ssed off then your aren't doing your job! wink

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

haha....good one big_smile

1. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL Yeah, I guess it comes with the territory smile

24. NateSean profile image67
    NateSeanposted 14 years ago

The thing with writing for money is that criticism is very much a part of the game. I can't think of a single major author that doesn't come under fire from the uber-religious nut jobs who try to ban their books right on down to critics who clearly only skimmed the book and therefore make irrelevant comments about the story.

If you can't handle a few negative remarks on Hubpages from people you will likely never meet in person, then how will you ever handle the hordes of critics who come to meet you at your book signings, or your convention booths, or what have you?

25. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

I have a big curly whirly turd on their face and delete their comments!

26. swift123418 profile image33
    swift123418posted 14 years ago

i think you should either report it delete it and not type back to them or just ignore it because they just want to make you feel bad for no reason.

27. profile image0
    Tammy Lochmannposted 14 years ago

I can handle a critic.  I have "handled" six foot raving lunatics and seen someone take their last breath on this earth. 

Critics do not attack the person they attack the story/article/poem what have you.

There is a difference.

1. profile image0

I have said that I wouldn't care to come back to the forums for a while but someone has convinced me otherwise.  Forgive me for waffling.  I needed some time to think about things.  HubPages is a great place and wonderful opportunities have opened up for me here.  Thank you to all the people who have good hearts and good heads.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)