2,000 COMMENTS! Hooray! But 80,000 views. Is this a bad ratio?

Jump to Last Post 1-44 of 44 discussions (60 posts)
  1. DJ Funktual profile image78
    DJ Funktualposted 15 years ago

I can never tell what's ood without someone else to compare to.
    What's your ratio?

I'm so harsh sometimes and God knows I've scared enough people into never commenting again.

Is this a good ratio?

2. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

I can't tell you if this ratio is good or bad, but these are mine:

1,671 comments

363,046 page views

I guess your hubs are more "commentable" than mine smile

1. profile image0
      daflaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You scare people. They're afraid to comment on your hubs!

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
        Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Moi? Scare people?

I very much doubt the people who visit my hubs are the same ones that I scare lol

2. terenceyap07 profile image60
        terenceyap07posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Dear dafla,

In all the time I've known Mark here, he has been helpful, sincere and witty. And while he may have his moments where he appears, for want of a better word, "blunt" in some of his interactions with people, he is nonetheless a decent and honest man.

Mark has also shown mentorship to many newbies like myself who have benefitted immensely from the wealth of knowledge he possess and shares freely with others. His many acts of kindness and helpfulness have convinced me of his true merit.

The only ones that need fear Mark's remarks are scammers, spammers and plagiarists. Please do not misunderstand who Mark really is, my friend.

*smiles*

1. DJ Funktual profile image78
          DJ Funktualposted 15 years agoin reply to this

HERE HERE Terence! 

Let's drink to Mark.

TO MARK KNOWLES I say Cheers!

1. terenceyap07 profile image60
            terenceyap07posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Aye, my friend. A toast to Mark Knowles. Cheers!

*smiles*

3. profile image0
    Marye Audetposted 15 years ago

Wow DJ,
    Umm...I have 1600 some odd comments and 325,625 page views...LOL!

4. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 15 years ago

1351 comments  :  9320 page views 

Don't know what a good ratio would be either.  I think Mark is right, some topics are just more conducive to comments.  Obviously religion and politics will pay dividends for comments, but comments don't appear to pay dividends for hub ratings or adsense money, so, not sure what to think.  Just write I guess.  I do wish I could crank out the traffic you guys get though.

5. caspar profile image60
    casparposted 15 years ago

I feel totally out of my league here wink

28507 page views....162 comments

6. DJ Funktual profile image78

Exactly Shadesbreath.

If I had 300,000 views I'd spend all day reading comments. 
    I never write about religion or politics either.

I also would like to announce that I sold something on amazon FINALLY!

Bottom Line is...
    What do you want from HubPages?

Mark sells motorcycles and cameras and makes some nice bank on it I'm sure.
    I can sell an entire Box Set of music and make a fraction of his dollar.

I'm in it for the fun and interaction.  I wish I had comments going all day.

I'd practically pay people like Misha & Mark & Maddie to comment everyday!  They always say something funny even if they topic is of no interest and what more could you ask?

1. Rhym O'Reison profile image83
      Rhym O'Reisonposted 15 years agoin reply to this

If you want to get a percentage of how many comments your pages are getting, you divide the smaller number (comments) by the larger (views)  In your case it is .025% or 2.5% of everyone who looks at your hubs leaves a comment.  cool

7. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

567 and 351224

I guess better measure will be comments per hub. I have 9 published hubs tongue

1. AEvans profile image73
      AEvansposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Misha,
      I am confused as I am yet to figure out analytics and I wish I would have used it at the beginning I haven't any idea how many views , However I certainly do know that people are reading them and that makes me happy. I only wish I could find a topic that can get to 80,000 hits in one day, I guess I will keep writing until it gets there. Any ideas?

8. Brainstormer profile image58
    Brainstormerposted 15 years ago

Nice work. Thanks for sharing your stats. It gives us new starters an idea how we are going in comparison to long term and successfull hubbers.
    Not that mine are of interest but it seemed appropriate to post mine.
    32 comments              430 views.    Half those comments are probably mine.
    On the subject of comments, they are time comsuming but I am finding they are the fun part of hubpages.
    Thanks again

9. Christoph Reilly profile image68
    Christoph Reillyposted 15 years ago

Some of these stats seem amazing to me. I'm just starting here at hubpages, but those numbers seem huge. I suppose the number of hubs has a lot to do with it and, as mentioned above, some topics lend themselves to comments. I like the comments, too. It's fun.

10. rmr profile image68
    rmrposted 15 years ago

If you're still interested, I have 26 hubs, 9449 views and 416 comments. Kind of sad, really. I am also acquainted with a certain jackalope who has 8 hubs, more than 2300 views, and 400 comments. He's out-performing me in spades!

11. DJ Funktual profile image78

Thanks for sharing guys. I hope more people wil share their stats.  smile

1. SunSeven profile image61
      SunSevenposted 15 years agoin reply to this

5049 in 3053879 views. Is that good/bad? I don't know. I am not a real statistical addict yet smile

12. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 15 years ago

My ration is almost exactly the same as yours, DJ, 1 in 40, but my overall numbers are quite a bit less, as I favour obscure topics that nobody wants to read wink

13. Shadesbreath profile image78

Para, you have deep thoughts backed by extreme literacy and an erudite nature.  I imagine any struggle your hubs get for comments is that so few can fathom wtf you are talking about.  Pearls before swine in the case of your hubs.  IMHO, obviously.

1. Paraglider profile image88
      Paragliderposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Shadesbreath - that's very kind, but I suspect the truth lies closer to the fact that I can't stand 'bookmarking' or networking sites and have a pathological revulsion to anything that smacks of keyword stuffing or SEO.

1. Shadesbreath profile image78
        Shadesbreathposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Dude, totally.

And DJ, I too blew off the 30 day challenge.  I really wanted to learn it, but, meh.  I just don't care.  I'll suffice myself to believe that someday the magic writing fairy will bring some pair of influential and connected editorial eyes to one of my hubs and they'll say, "Ahaha!  Just what we've been looking for," and a contract will be on it's way. 

/sigh

Doesn't hurt to dream.  At least in the meantime I get to shoot the breeze with all you guys and read your stuff and we exchange comments.  That's almost as good as cash.  Still, I wish I could get 3,000,000 page views.  If I had that kind of traffic with the same comment/view ratio I have going now, I probably would have a contract lol.

14. DJ Funktual profile image78

My thoughts exacly Paraglider.  I did it for a month or so but pfft, Life's Too Short.

I blew off the 30 Day Challenge and am proud of it.

1. profile image0
      daflaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I didn't blow it off, I didn't have time, but I'm gonna try again.  I have people who say it's really mind opening.

15. babybuff205 profile image61
    babybuff205posted 15 years ago

Hi all im new to hubland and want to promote my website on a shoestring as i have  got much money as it all been spent on stock. Any hubsters out there know any new be mum's to be who need clothing send them to me please  I BE YOUR FRIEND FOR EVER ! smile

16. profile image0
    Kerry43posted 15 years ago

Good morning Folks:)
    Gosh, if only this were my problem...spending hours to check my comments. Congratulations to you all on your success.
    I am a newbie here, so these numbers are quite exciting to see. I have a total of about 5 hubs and 3 comments; in terms of numbers I would say that's not too bad LOL.
    I suppose this is one of those things time will fix.

Have a happy day....
    Regards,
    Kerry

17. babybuff205 profile image61
    babybuff205posted 15 years ago

I hope so too Kerry as a new be my self . I want to be incontact with people as im a people's person . I feel i have missed out alot , but gained skillls i want to share with other people. smile

18. sixtyorso profile image71
    sixtyorsoposted 15 years ago

Fellow hubbers you humble me.
    I have 15 hubs 238 comments and a paltry 1149 page views in 4 months!
    smile smile

19. DJ Funktual profile image78

SunSeven you are incredible!

20. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

Hey, I make a living doing this and I blew it off too smile

21. Trsmd profile image56
    Trsmdposted 15 years ago

My Hubpage is having 472 comments and 57,460 pageviews ..

22. compu-smart profile image90
    compu-smartposted 15 years ago

I have just looked and i have
    Hub views 429770 times
    Highest HubScore: 97
    Comments  2829

I too dont know if this is a good ratio
    neutral)

1. compu-smart profile image90
      compu-smartposted 15 years agoin reply to this

ps....
      I have just done the maths neutral)

DJ, you said 2,000 Comments!  But 80,000 views.

Compared to mine, its a very very good ratio smile

23. Shadesbreath profile image78

One of you people who knows how to crosspollinate hubs or whatever the hell you do needs to take me on as a charity case and do whatever it is you do.  I will pay you with unending gratitude and, when I make my fortune, will certainly carry you upon the rising financial tide!!!

24. Patty Inglish, MS profile image87
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 15 years ago

Rounding off, I've 4500+ comments over close to 500,000 views. Still less than 1%, actually.

"...how to crosspollinate hubs or whatever the hell you do ..." Shadey! -- it must be something like that.  I think we had more traffic when Evilpants was going back and forth among hubs and so were we with comments and fun. LOL

1. Shadesbreath profile image78
      Shadesbreathposted 15 years agoin reply to this

LOL yeah, he turned some hubs into mini forum/chatroom things.

25. Julie-Ann Amos profile image65
    Julie-Ann Amosposted 15 years ago

Been here 3 weeks, 24 hubs, 2133 page views and 21 comments - and no idea whether this is good, bad or mediocre!  It's nothing like those people who have been here ages, but maybe traffic takes off after a while...  Made a few $ at Kontera and Google and sold 2 books (now THAT I find impressive as they were off one of my lowest traffic hubs too)

26. Christoph Reilly profile image68
    Christoph Reillyposted 15 years ago

Geez, Julia-Ann, I'm gonna have to check you out and see what you're writing about. That's a lot of productivity for 3 weeks. I'm 3 weeks, 5 hubs, 92 comments, 517 page views (5.61% leaving comments - or am I figuring that wrong?) Seems pretty meager. But most of my stuff is humor with some educational benefits. I hope to see that increase as people become familiar with me.

But what no one has mentioned, 2/3rds of the traffic (mine) is from within Hubpages. If I understand it correctly, those don't contribute to your scores. Or do they?

1. Julie-Ann Amos profile image65
      Julie-Ann Amosposted 15 years agoin reply to this

So are the stats I quote supposed to have hubpages traffic stripped out?  Happy to report them if that's required!

What I'm writing about us a mix of stuff I'm interested in and have access to info on...

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
        Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I don't think there are any "requirements" here. DJ asked and we responded smile

My own traffic is 90% search engines. But worry not Christoph, your search engine traffic will increase as time goes by.

27. Patty Inglish, MS profile image87
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 15 years ago

Yup, cool.

28. DJ Funktual profile image78

Yeah,  nerdy people.

29. Jewels profile image83
    Jewelsposted 15 years ago

Would be so easy to get demoralized here comparing notes.  But I'm surprised at how I am not disappointed in my achievements.  118 comments and 2680 views.  But I've consistently stayed around 91 since I started at Hubpages which feels okay to me.  I'm not a professional writer and my content is not general public. But I'm pleased with it. Additionally most of the views are via an external search engine which gives me a buzz.

And I'm in good company cause I seem to be attracting the popular hubbers as my friends/fans which keeps me entertained and I stick around.  ( I doubt I'll ever get paid though! LOL)

30. convrsionjunction profile image40
    convrsionjunctionposted 15 years ago

Wow! you are all rock stars in my eyes...I took the leap of faith and starting blogging, I think I am finally getting the hang of it. Does anyone feel generous enough to share some secrets in getting viewers to comment on your blog?

31. patnamohan profile image59
    patnamohanposted 15 years ago

smile

32. profile image0
    Ananta65posted 15 years ago

Well then, here are my current stats smile
    69 hubs, 11974 views and 779 comments, which means that 6,5% of the viewers leave a comment. An average of 11.3 comments per hub.
    I don't come even close to 90% traffic from google, though. Most of my traffic comes from HubPages. How do you do that, Mark? roll

33. DJ Funktual profile image78

One thing to remember is that upon further inspection...I myself account for 25-30% of the comments on my own hubs!

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
      Maddie Ruudposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think it's great the way you respond to everyone's comments.  I don't have the time or energy after moderating all day.  Tell the spammers to leave me aloooooooooone!  sad

34. DJ Funktual profile image78

I am also coming to the realization that I have been doing like
    22,000 views this month.  I'm at almost 92,000 total, started in Feb. 08
    I don't know what to make of this info...

Again - What type of numbers are you guys seeing?

35. profile image0

Well, I started exactly 4 months ago and according to the Hub Traffic Statistics I’m on a total of 14,248 views. Over the past 30 days I’ve had 6,115 views. So you’re still way ahead of me DJ smile

36. Bonnie Ramsey profile image68
    Bonnie Ramseyposted 15 years ago

Well, I only have 16,605 views and 873 comments so pretty much everyone can put me to shame. This is from 94 hubs in 9 months. I really gotta get crackin' lol.

Bonnie

37. ripplemaker profile image78
    ripplemakerposted 15 years ago

Stats drive me nuts!  Ananta, kindly help me with the percentages.
    Well, I only have 22 hubs, 627 comments and 23,508 page views!  lol
    I need to write more hubs.  smile

38. profile image0

That's an average of 1,069 views per hub, 29 comments per hub and 2.7% of the views resulting in a comment smile

39. ripplemaker profile image78

Wow!  lol  You are a math wizard!

40. DJ Funktual profile image78

Whoa!!!

41. ripplemaker profile image78

Numbers make me crazy!  Whoa is right!  lol

42. profile image0

No I'm not. Excel did it all for me smile

43. ripplemaker profile image78

OH, the 'secret' revealed... well, it is still numbers... hehehe

44. profile image0

Well this is new for me. Today (according to “My Account”) all of my hubs have had at least one page view.

You'll get there too, sixtyorso. Your hubs are well worth reading!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)