The Politics of Resentment

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (135 posts)
  1. Doug Hughes profile image61
    Doug Hughesposted 14 years ago

Now that Health Care Reform has passed and will become law this week, the focus turns to protecting the new baby. Like Social Security and Medicare, HCR has the promise of becoming a popular part of the landscape of services that people rightfully expect. To get this program to that level of acceptance, we need to nurture the baby through infancy by fighting of the wolfpack of lies unleashed. The unspoken force underlying the debate is the Politics of Resentment.

The politics of resentment is the force the teabaggers  harnessed 2 years ago and it's important to shine a light on what that is. In the film 'Mississippi Burning', Gene Hackman plays an FBI agent who's explaining to his Yankee boss WHY his bigoted father poisoned the mule of a poor black farmer who was getting ahead through hard work. "My daddy said, 'If you ain't better than a nigger, who are you better than?' ".

Those without health insurance have been the subclass in American culture for bigots to look down on. There's no more poserful status symbol than knowing you might live under exactly the same circumstances that those people will die under. What a rush of power! I will live - they will die. After watching the desparate fervor for a year, I've concluded that most of the opposition has nothing to do with patritism or nationalism. They feel personally and emotionally threatened.

Imagine a social ladder. The Politics of Resentment casts the fear of falling on those who have always been able to look down - no matter how low they are on the ladder - at a class that's at least several rungs lower. It gives a teabaggger a sense of importance and strength to look down on these people. With the stroke of a pen, these people will become equal in the one feature where teabaggers could feel dominant.

Soon someone who had no access to health care - will be going to the same doctors - have access to the same treatments or medicine and be able to allay some of the human suffering the previous system distributed by wealth or luck. Teabaggers are in a panic because the feel like they are in free fall, when the only thing that's happened is a level of parity - the teabaggers have lost nothing in fact.

The lyrics of the song will usually be deliberate lies or emotional rants. I intend to fight that with facts and truth.  Listen to the music under the words of the song. You will hear the Politics of Resentment. It's not an American melody.

1. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

OMG!!! What a crock of crap! I can't believe you're playing the race card!

No one in America has died because of a lack of insurance. If your life is threatened and you seek treatment, you will be treated!

You might remember back in history when all the needs of slaves were provided for by the wealthy in return for guaranteed jobs. Now that didn't turn out well did it? It tore the country apart in the bloodiest war in our history.

Somehow you on the left seem to have forgotten about that fight for freedom. Somehow you find it not only acceptable to have the government as our master but desirable! You view their providing for our needs as a right we are entitled to rather than a requirement for citizenship bestowed upon us by our wealthy "benefactors".

Yeah the opposition to HCR is all about resentment and racism. I submit that voting for this bill is a racist vote and a vote for slavery!

1. Danny R Hand profile image60
        Danny R Handposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am not even going to mention the race issue. because I'm not going to add fuel to the fire. But I will say, I don't believe it is a race issue. I believe it is a class issue. As for your statement that noone has died for a lack of insurance, all I can say is I'm sorry your stuck in a box that deprives you from reality. I would almost bet you have money! This is a class war, not a race war. WHY is it so bad for people to have access to good healthcare? This has nothing to do with to much government in our lives. we are dealing with a government who is FINALLY trying to protect the less fortunate from corporate greed. And if you advocate that greed by misrepresenting a bill that is good for citizens, and bussiness alike, all I can say is I'm grateful I don't think like you.

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
          Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well stated

2. creepy profile image56
          creepyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

everyone in this country has had access to good health care it required working for it something the ones with their hands out never seem to do

blaming the rich or those with health care isnt going to help the ones who have no interest in making good choices

the entitlement class will destroy this country

HOW is expecting fair treatment from your government after paying taxes for YEARS, entitlement? I am reffering to those who work everyday and bust thier ass to take care of thier family, but can't because of unregulated coporations who are motivated by PROFIT ONLY without a shread of moral boundries.

1. creepy profile image56

millions upon millions are doing it

its possible

you have to work for it

they wont  they will whine and cry because the man is keeping em down

they through every bad choice they ever made is keeping them down suck it up and work for your health care like millions have for generations

the entitlement class will destroy this country

Just like Rome, power and greed will destroy this country.

no paying for everyone's wants will bankrupt this country

unless of course you follow the examples of canada and slim down your military until you are waiting to be a victim

i imagine you are ok with downsizing the guarantor of freedom since 1946 arent you

this health care scambill will do far more damage to our country than the japanese soviets or germans ever did

I believe our military should be the best trained, best supplied, best fighting force in the world. The ONLY change I would make is, (not reducing monies, because we need what we've got), I think our Military would be better off within our own borders with the exception of maybe 2 strategic bases in the world. I am NOT for policing the world as we have been doing since 1946.

2. profile image0
            cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

..i can't believe i am going to fan a sockpuppet wink

tesify, creepy! smile

3. profile image0

I assure you, I'm not living in a box. People get treated even if they don't have money and that's a fact.

Well if you were to bet you'd lose. I'm a layoff away from despair, because I do have health issues, but luckily I have a job (still) and that job subsidizes my health insurance. Losing my job would be a real problem, not just for me but for others living with me.

Everyone that wants health insurance should be able to get it and the best way to get it is to have a job that will subsidize the cost for you.
          Now to make insurance more affordable you have to lower the cost and to do that you have to look at why the cost is rising. Insurance companies aren't just raising their prices and stuffing their pockets with dollars. Doctors are raising their prices. Medical technology is expensive. You have to attack the issues contributing to the costs not the one passing those costs on. Insurance company profits amount to 3.5%, for many, especially union workers that's about how much your raise is each year. If you took all the profits from all the insurance companies away from them you'd pay for about 2 days worth of the nations health care.
          This bill doesn't address the issues driving cost, it's an entitlement and an excuse to raise taxes with no lock box or any other guarantee that the money collected will be spent on health care!

I understand your point. However, one of the major things driving the cost of healthcare up is people going to an emergency room to be treated because they are denied doctors care due to LACK OF INSURANCE. So the hospitals charge $100.00 for a tylenol to insurance companies of those with insurance. If you make it possible for everyone to have insurance, then people won't have to go to the emergency room for treatment. This in turn brings down the cost of treatment which allows the insurance companies to pay less for medical suplies, medications, screenings, the list goes on and on.

1. profile image0

Well that's not exactly true. I have insurance and I went to the emergency room just last Thursday. In fact if you look at MA where they have universal health care, emergency visits have gone up since it passed! That's because if you have insurance, you don't worry about costs! That actually is one reasons why health care costs are rising so fast, greater demand!

2. Faybe Bay profile image64
        Faybe Bayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Okay. I have stayed out of this debate Yes People have died because of a lack of insurance! Many you will never hear of died because of no insurance!

They die because they didn't have that mammogram and the die because they didn't get those teeth taken care of. Did you know that too many abcesses in your teeth can cause your heart to STOP? My babysitter died because she had no health care. I will not go into the reasons, but she raised a few kids whose father was wealthy, and he didn't want them but refused to let her adopt them. He didn't want them to find out they weren't hers. If she went for medicaid they would have to contact the parents of these kids.
        http://www.dentalgentlecare.com/heart_a … health.htm

not sure how to break this to you but here goes

people with health insurance die too

its true

2. profile image0

Once again, they died because they didn't seek treatment, not because they didn't have insurance!

1. Faybe Bay profile image64

She didn't have money for treatment. it is expensive. She spent all her money to raise the kids of a low life relative, who when he did get on his feet and had money acted like they  never existed.

They were a mistake from before he had money. I know better than expect people to understand what it is like to be poor and sacrifice things so your kids can have what they need.

Forget I was here.

1. profile image0

I know what it is to be poor, I've been poor, unemployed, with 2 babies and a wife with a property tax lien on my home, no car, relying on the state for food. I KNOW what it is to be poor!

The best way to help the poor is to give them a job! To do that requires a strategy that promotes prosperity by creating an environment for business to thrive. Yes, that means the rich will get richer, so what! In that environment, there's hope that someday, maybe, you can become rich too!

2. wyanjen profile image70
            wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've known people who have been put out of the hospital because they don't have coverage.
            I have a friend who is dying from a curable disease because she cannot get medication to treat it.

You might not want to think it is happening, but it certainly is.

Here here. A friend of mine had breast cancer and couldn't get any assistance here so she went to live with her daughter in Texas. When she came back to Florida and needed therapy later, they told her she should have stayed in Texas!

2. profile image0

Well if all she needs is medication then there has to be a program in your state or her church that can help her. If it's really a matter of life or death she can move to MA and be covered.

She has moved now! She lived in Florida, was her own boss. but the illness ruined her, she lost everything and that was that. I do not know if she is still alive.

There are many people who lose everything just to stay alive,and when the house and money is gone, they become "among the missing" either moving away or becoming homeless. I have seen a lot down here, and my family was raised during the great depression.
                I don't even have life insurance, but I have health care, I have for four years. It isn't about me. I went for 30 years with no coverage.

She has found a lawyer who is helping her pro-bono.
                He is not getting anywhere. State aid is tied up in paperwork. No charities have helped her because they don't have the resources. The pharm companies have blown her off.
                When she lost her home, we tried to find a shelter to keep her off the streets but the shortest waiting list was 6 weeks. (She moved in with me at that point.) That might give you a better picture of the situation where we are.

She is too sick to make a move right now.

Believe me, we have exhausted every angle - which is not to say we have given up looking.
                She needs PT, maintenance meds, and further testing to see if she needs more chemo. All of it is completely out of reach.

Would you like to make a donation? Sorry I'm not trying to be a jerk about it. But, things don't always work out, even it you really really really want them to.

1. profile image0

The constitution gives us all the right to life, not the right to LIVE! People get old, get sick and die. We're all mortals, we're all going to die of something. The bulk of medical spending is spent in the least 8 years of life, efforts to extend our existence for a period of time, but sooner or later the end comes. For each of us that end is as different as we are. Death is a part of life, unfortunately.

The constitution also guarantees us the right to liberty, to be free to be left alone and to pursue happiness. The government exists to insure we keep those rights, not to take them away and trade them for the benefit of someone else or to provide for the "collective good". Why dopes the government decide FOR me what is "good" for the "collective"? No. That's not America, that's not the freedom our young men and women die for.

Health insurance is a good, not a right. It's no different than an ice cream cone and I, you, and all Americans have no more right to health insurance then we do to that ice cream cone!

If health insurance is a right, then what about food, a home, clothing, jobs, leisure, education, and a car, are these rights as well? Should then the government provide them to those that can't afford them?

1. profile image0
                    PrettyPantherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Finally, the true essence of your beliefs has emerged from beneath all the rhetoric. 

Yes, people die all the time.  That is a fact.  However, human beings step in all the time, in a myriad of ways, to prevent people from dying.  Sometimes, human beings send their military across continents to invade countries just so they can, in their words, "fight them over there so we don't have to fight them over here."  Presumably, that is, to save the lives of their fellow human beings.  My tax dollars were used for that, as were yours. 

This is just one example.  Police officers, fire fighters, even traffic engineers, are all tasked with saving human lives, using your money, which you seem to be okay with.

Yet, you oppose health care reform because you don't want to spend money to save lives and dying is just part of life.  So, it comes down to this.  Some people are okay with spending money on the military and other government programs such as police and fire, to save people's lives, but not okay with spending money on health care.  And the stated reason is that it takes away their freedom if THEIR money is spent on a program to help all people, even though their money is already used for that very purpose in other ways by the government.

Somehow, the logic of it completely escapes me. but the heartlessness of it doesn't.

2. profile image0
                    Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Personally, I think they should be. How can people allow others to be starving and homeless? I'm not saying for the lazy however in America there are now over 800,000 starving children.

3. wyanjen profile image70

are you kidding me????

the person I'm talking about is 40 years old and will leave behind 2 children. You're going to put this in the "get old, get sick and die" category?
                    You need to get a damn grip and give up your BS argument.

If you know a hospital with an ER that gives emergency chemotherapy, let me know & I'll bring her right over.

3. creepy profile image56

the pharmaceutical companies have programs to provide free of charge medications people need

state and county agencies can provide free medication for those who need it

this everybody is dying crap is just that  crap

seek and ye shall find

or sit on your ass and wait for another handout that i will be paying for

That is all new and because they were afraid of this bill. They weren't doing you any favors, believe me.

that is not new i received medication i could not afford 5 years ago from bristol myers squibb 

this is the real misinformation

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65
                Ralph Deedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"this everybody is dying crap is just that  crap"

The U.S. ranks 38th among nations in life expectancy, the lowest of all advanced industrial nations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co … expectancy

Many people are faced with the choice of losing their health or losing their house.

Your posts, creepy, are just crap.

3. profile image0

I have to beg your pardon on your statement that no one in America has died because of a lack of insurance and that if treatment is needed a person will be treated. This is hogwash. I work in a hospital and have worked for doctor's offices. Many are turned down for treatment due to no insurance. Many don't take certain types of insurance and turn patients down.
        Where you came up with your incorrect assumptions I don't know.

1. profile image0

Doctors decide what insurance to take but if you walk into a clinic or state hospital you'll get treated, certainly if your seriously ill, maybe not for an ingrown toe nail.

1. profile image0

The only way you can walk into a hospital is through the E.R. and the ER doctors are not part of the hospital they agree with the hospital to treat the emergencies in return for a place to practice. They do their own billing.
            No one goes to the hospital for an ingrown toenail and many are turned away.
            The emergency room is for loss of life or loss of limb.
            If someone has severed their hand and need it stitched back on, that's one definition of the loss of limb and yes they will help you. But if you don't qualify for county aid, you will get the bill soon in the mail.
            To qualify for county aid you have to make $903.00 or less per month. If you make $950.00 a month you will not get help with the bill and will be turned over to a collection agency, then an attorney then to the courts. The courts do not deem the inability to pay an excuse.

A walk in clinic will also bill you.

Still you are assuming too much about access to health care.

Doctors take the insurance they have a contract with. If there is no contract an insurance company will not pay. That's why doctors are called Participators and preferred providers. They have a contract. If say they don't have a contract with blue cross...and the patient is covered by BC, the patient is not treated and turned away.

1. profile image0

Well you might get a bill, but if you can't pay it, you can't pay it!

Oh I went to the ER last Thursday. I thought I might have a blood clot, turns out it was a skin infection. So people do use the ER for all kinds of things! I have insurance so it was no problem.

I don't know where you live, but here in NY, if you walk into a hospital and you're bleeding to death they're not going to ask if you have insurance before they treat you.

1. profile image0

If you had actually read what I said..yes loss of limb, loss of life (you know,  bleeding to death as you stated ).

Someone can have chest pains that turn out to be gas. But since they don't know if it is gas or a heart attack which could be a loss of life..they are treated.

This is why on the bill that is sent to the insurance company they have to state what the chief complaint was when the person went to the ER..what the patient complained about. This way they can determine if they will or will not pay for the visit.

Yes people go to the hospital ER for everything, but do you keep in touch with them and ask them if they got a bill? You are basing your statements on assumptions..

1. profile image0

I didn't say they wouldn't get a bill, I said no one DIES because don't have insurance.

If your car won't start and you have the garage tow it and fix it, you're going to get a bill aren't you? Why wouldn't you expect to get one from the hospital?

When my son was born, I didn't have insurance, I got a bill! It took me years to pay it in the mean time I got a job had my daughter and became unemployed and out of work for 5 months. So maybe I stopped sending money to the hospital for a time, but eventually I paid them.

I know there are people with serious health issues like cancer and it's very expensive to be treated. Some of these people don't have insurance. I recognize there are people that need help, and there should be a way to help them, but Obamacare is NOT the way.

1. profile image0
                    PrettyPantherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"I said no one DIES because don't have insurance."

This is why it's so frustrating to try to have a reasonable discussion with some people here.  Poppa, I know you are smart enough to know this is simply not true, yet you continue to say it.

Deborah, good luck.

2. profile image0

That is not true. Many people die because they can not get treatment due to no insurance. Not everything is treated in the ER, just the most obvious problems. Something that doesn't show a concern for life is not treated if the person does not have insurance...I know of a lot of cases.

How do you know who in the ER does and does not have insurance when you see them there? You don't

People die daily..

4. William R. Wilson profile image60
        William R. Wilsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

AHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sob.

1. profile image0
          LegendaryHeroposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Obviously his comment went right over your head...

Even with the quote taken out of context, technically he is right.

1. William R. Wilson profile image60
            William R. Wilsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you serious? 

The slaves were taken by force from their homeland,  and packed into wooden boats like sardines with no room even to roll over.  If they survived the journey across the Atlantic, days of being forced to lie in their own excrement and vomit, next to their dead and dying companions, they were put up for sale like animals, and then worked for however long their owners wished.  They were not allowed to have families, not allowed to worship as they pleased, not allowed to socialize freely for fear of uprisings.  They were beaten for the smallest infraction.

Technically he's right?  In what way were "all their needs met"?  Slavery is a "guaranteed job?"

It was a revolting thing for him to say, and it's revolting for you to defend him.

1. profile image0

I'm just saying you took that quote out of context and that he is technically right. I'm not saying it was good for the slaves. I'm just saying that the slave owners did provide slaves with their needs - food, water, shelter, and clothing. They had to take "care" of their "investments" otherwise it would have been a waste of their money.

most ridiculous thing i have ever read since your last ridiculous post

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65

Another thoughtful, enlightening, fact-based, well-reasoned  opinion from little Creepy!

3. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

...If there were such a thing as "the politics of resentment", your pal Obama would be the author of it.
      Reckon maybe that's his true Political Party.  I call it the treasonous party, but with that chip he carries on his shoulder, maybe you've hit the nail on the head after all.

4. profile image0
      Dog On A Missionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I notice that insurance company stocks are doing very nicely.

I can't believe that some people think that insurance companies didn't want this legislation. They drafted it!

The new US healthcare system doesn't provide "universal healthcare". It just forces people to pay for overpriced insurance.

Its a racket. The Republicans are pretending to be outraged by this. Whatever...

I seriously doubt if they if they will repeal the legislation despite all of the faux outrage.

Both teams in the US (Republican and Democrat) work for the same special interests.

If you look at who donated to Obama and who donated to McCain its pretty much the same people.

Same story all over the developed world.

Partisan politics is getting really old. Really tired.

People are just refusing to accept the lies any more.

I thought that the NHS system in my country (Britain) was bad, but its looks like care for the poor, elderly and infirm will soon be worse in the USA.

2. The Dix View profile image61
    The Dix Viewposted 14 years ago

As always you are right on track!  Bravo, Bravo!  I have two things to ass, one a comment,the other an observation. 
    1.  Did youhave a chance to look at the stock market this mornming?  Health stocks are going through the roof.  Investoirs recognize that these companies are now poised for increadible growth and are standing in line to cash in.  Hardly socialism.
    2.  I was ten with a broken leg going through a turnstyle the first time I was called a Nigger.  I grew up in a very sheltered enviornment, my father a successful singer, had themeans to compleatly shelter my brother, sister and myself until I was ten and we moved to the city.  I didn't know what Nigger meant, having never been exposed to the term.  that was over 40 years ago.  I don't remember the pain of getting hit by the car, which is how my leg was broken,  I still feel the hatred in that lady who I don't and didn't know, but will never forget.

I prey all heysayers read this article and see today's stock market.  I'm now old enough to realize that for a few, equality is probably not an option.  Thank God, it's only a few.

3. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
    Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years ago

Well Stated Doug smile

Dix, I agree racism and hate is terrible, and hurtful.

I remember the first time I was a victim of racism. I was a young boy only about 7 or 8, Mom had sent me to the store to get something. As I got to the store there was a group of African Americans standing around outside. Having never seen many or possibly any African Americans before I looked at them in curiosity. Their response to my boyish curiosity was...

"What the F#ck are you looking at White Boy. Haven't you ever seen a N#gger before? You better watch your a#s, there is more of us here than you Mother-F#cking White boys."

...and your right as an impressionable child these words have stuck to me more than many or possibly any other childhood memories. The Hate in the Man's eyes is not something I will ever forget.

4. mikelong profile image60
    mikelongposted 14 years ago

I agree with you Mikel.....and in your words the deeper cord of racial tenions can be perceived...perhaps..

I still look to the more distant American past...and find that racial identification and dominance still came from other than black sources..

I have found myself in similar situations...and my diverse educational experiences in LAUSD schools compounded by my time in the military left lasting impressions on my mind regarding racial displays...

While still prejudiced behavior, there is still a living legacy that is not found elsewhere found within the words of the man you depicted in your story..not in your words...  A response to racism with racial intimidation is not to be condoned...but if white racism can be laid to rest...I think a lot else can be accomplished....  This type of behavior needs to be rooted out:

http://www.africamaat.com/IMG/jpg/kkk-child-in-robe.jpg

True, I agree. This type of behavior needs to be rooted out, on all sides of the issue.

But I will remind you that it was White people, not Blacks, that freed the slaves. If Whites hadn't decided that slavery was wrong and fought, killed and died to end it, it would still be practiced today. At the onset of the Civil War there weren't ANY black soldiers.

http://www.wildwestweb.net/cwphotos.html

2. profile image0

Why don't you post a picture of the many black gangsters putting knives and guns in the hands of little children?

Why don't you post statistics about how many drive-by shootings were done by members of inner-city gangs?

Why not post a pic of some black rapper advocating oppression of women?

And the pic of an effigy of Sarah Palin being hung during Halloween?

And the gay Kevin Jennings teaching our school children that man-boy sex is okay?

because only white people can be racist

1. profile image0

Yeah, well that's another lie perpetuated by the liberal agenda.

they lied say it aint so

2. Ron Montgomery profile image61
            Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ummmm, don't you mean liberal media.  I'm not sure agendas can actually perpetuate anything.

5. lovemychris profile image75
    lovemychrisposted 14 years ago

Difference is Mike, racism against black people was legal. You didn't need the National Guard to step in to allow white kids to enter a school.
    It was so ugly ugly ugly.
    Hosing down black people, calling them jungle bunnies, go back to the zoo....as a whole white people did this!

That is why that hateful display of the baggers cannot be ignored or made light of.
    Do we need to go down that road AGAIN???

And why do I, as a tax-paying American citizen get denied access to a legal medical procedure, because a religious argument is made against it?
    What happened to separation of church and state?

Yeah...the more I think about it, you are right Doug. It's about keeping us 2nd class.

NO!   as a whole NO.

It was the white people that stopped the segregation, it was white people that created new laws to protect the African American minority.

If African Americans weren't in control during the times of these changes, who was? It is the people that were in control that made the changes, the White Majority and their representatives.

Not the powerless, not the people that on their own would still be slaves.

The Majority of White people did it. Against the will of the White Minority. (and they still hate us for it too.)

2. profile image0

You're not denied access to a legal medical procedure...
      Have you ever heard of Roe vs. Wade? It made abortion legal in the U.S.

3. Sab Oh profile image57
      Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"And why do I, as a tax-paying American citizen get denied access to a legal medical procedure, because a religious argument is made against it? "

No need to include religion to be against abortion. And you are not denied access to the 'procedure' but don't you dare ask me to pay for it.

6. srwnson profile image59
    srwnsonposted 14 years ago

As a southerner I am surprised by the fallicies people have concerning bigotry in the south today.

As a driver, I had an African American student in my truck while traveling through a small town in Pennslvania.

My student noticed many people staring and asked me what I thought they were staring at.

“They’re staring at you Pete, “ I told him, most of them rarely see African Americans.

Count how many you see on the streets; of this particular town, zero was the answer.

We in the south live together black and white. Poor is poor no matter the color of your skin.

1. Ohma profile image60
      Ohmaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do not usually dis agree with you but on the point of African Americans in Pa. I must. I am a native Pennsylvanian have been here for 50 years. I am a white female and I am a member of the minority in this state.

1. srwnson profile image59
        srwnsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This particular town Ohma, it was one of those little gingerbread house towns...wish I could remember the name. I wasn't trying to imply there are no African Americans in PA.

I'm just saying that perspective means everything.

1. Ohma profile image60
          Ohmaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry if I made a bad assumption of what you where saying.

1. srwnson profile image59
            srwnsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Let me give you an example. A friend of mine, hired by a company to instruct a group of engineers from china on modern mining just after the 9/11 , incident got on a plane in New Orleans heading for Asia.

As he got on the plane a middle eastern gentlemen sat down in the seat beside him. The airline policy at that time was you could only use your cell phone until they closed the door. The middle eastern guy got on his cell phone and said these four words. "I'm on the plane." nothing more.

My friend told me he was terrified, later he considered himself silly for feeling the way he did. Never having been around any people from the Middle East he assumed...you see. People don't always understand that just because the history says this and this about a country or region. Doesn't neccessarily make every person from that area the same.

People who've always been rich may not realize what it's like to be poor.

I can't speak to current conditions in the south. but when I grew up in Baton Rouge there was very little contact between blacks and whites. The blacks lived in what was referred to by whites as "Nigger Town." Public and private schools were completely segregated as were restaurants, movie theaters, public toilets, drinking fountains, etc. The only black person I met while living 11 years in Baton Rouge was the woman who came once a week to help my mother with ironing and housekeeping. At the huge EXXON refinery where my father worked, blacks, no matter how well educated and conscientious, were confined to janitorial and common laborer jobs. So, from my perspective the notion that blacks and whites lived in harmony side-by-side was an idealized myth. I hasten to say that when I moved to Detroit in 1960 conditions for blacks were little better than in Louisiana. Blacks couldn't buy houses in white neighborhoods and suburbs and were segregated much like Baton Rouge. Public schools were integrated on paper, but actually were segregated as a result of housing segregation. In the auto industry, blacks had high paying factory jobs but were excluded from skilled trades jobs, and salaried secretarial, accounting, engineering and managerial jobs. Even today, I occasionally hear the "N word" from the mouths of Grosse Pointe swells.

7. lovemychris profile image75

I live on Cape Cod. There is no place to get an abortion here.
    The one clinic was bullied out of business by the Operation Rescue thugs...or it might have been a local church...either way, I mean thugs.
    Imagine...going into a private place of business and having people screaming at you like bulldogs. Carrying signs with offensive language and pictures....being called a slut, keep your legs shut, and of course, the infamous baby-killer.
    Please..these people care not one iota about the Constitution, that's why it's so maddening to hear them preach it now.
    And let's not forget the doctors who have been murdered for providing this procedure, those who are targeted for harassment, and whose families aren't safe either. Some freedom baby!
    And what of gay people? Pay more taxes than anyone here, since they must file as single. What is it, 138 tax breaks married people get? And the Child tax credits? Yet, a gay couple must file individual returns...making their tax burden higher, but they have less rights. It's insane the damage that religious dogma causes.
    Don't get me started....because I wanted to share this;This is awesome writing! And it got my fist pumping in the air with a resounding YES!!

"Bipartisanship can kiss my ass. Seducing, pleasing and appeasing the current Republican Party is as interesting to me as lopping off an arm. These people have allowed themselves to be taken over by extremists, imbeciles, racists, fear-mongers and ignorant thugs. They choose circus politics over good policy, the popularity of the mediocre and incompetent over responsibility, intelligence and common sense. The Republican political bible begins with the god Karl Rove, exalts cartoon prophets like George W. Bush, Michele Bachmann and Sarah Palin, and demands its disciples receive communion from lunatic priests Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck. The Right laughably and transparently throws around euphemistic bumper-sticker words like "small government" and "socialism" to thinly disguise their real agenda to relieve your conscience of any inconvenient feelings of responsibility toward your fellow humans."

Awesome writing Mr. Michael Seitzman! Got my little nerves tingling....

these people care not one iota about the Constitution

they care about the constitution but its obvious you dont you would be happy to see their rights to speech ripped away because you dont like the words

my how this country has fallen

2. Sab Oh profile image57

"I live on Cape Cod. There is no place to get an abortion here. "

That is simply not true.

8. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
    Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years ago

creepy wrote: "seek and ye shall find
    or sit on your ass and wait for another handout that i will be paying for"

Ok Im sitting and waiting...Patient-ly  (Pun intended)

big_smile

your substandard care is on its way

congratulations

sad   huh? I thought I was going to get as good as our elected officials did?  I want my own private physician, just like Obama's...

tongue

9. lovemychris profile image75

Ooooh-it gets better!

"Now take a look at the victors in yesterday's vote. What is their agenda? To provide health care to the people who don't have it, to prevent loss of coverage when you lose your job, to prevent the denial of coverage for preexisting conditions, to prevent your children from being denied coverage. Monsters, right? Un-American beasts! I'm sure you can understand why so-called protesters spewed racial, anti-Semitic and homophobic epithets at United States Congressmen on their way to vote for such "Nazi" legislation (yeah, the Nazis were really big on health care). These people aren't activists, they're a mob."

ouch...good one smile

10. lovemychris profile image75

"Here's a question for conservatives, is there anything you think shouldn't be subject to private profit interests?"

absolutely nothing

your insistence that this bill is being done for the uninsured by good hearted politicians is a farce

medical coverage has been available for years through medicare/medicaid it is broke because of fraud and incompetent bureaucrat involvement but you think they can do this better

if this is such a good bill then why will there be 16500 new agents of the irs making sure we are all compliant

health care is not your right  rights dont have to be mandated they just are

1. profile image0

And if someone is homeless because they lost everything and they can't take a bath, brush their teeth etc..who will hire them? would you? nope.
        If a person could not afford to further their education and they make $8.50 per hour who helps them get or pay for insurance? no one.

Your ID name Creepy...great one!

11. Dolores Monet profile image95
    Dolores Monetposted 14 years ago

In any debate, I think we should all listen to both sides of the issue. So I occasionally tune in to right wing radio shows to get an idea of what they have to say, thinking that, of course the other side will have points to consider. Imagine my shock at hearing Mark Lavin shouting 'the Democrat party must be destroyed!' I guess I did learn something after all.

would it make you feel better if i shouted it

the democrat party doesnt have to be destroyed but the socialists running the party should be removed

on second thought its better to burn the party down and start over

12. Dolores Monet profile image95

See, we here in the US allow differing opinions. We like to think of ourselves as people who will give a listen to the opposition as well as what our own party offers. But if you start yelling that the opposition should be destroyed, then you are going against everything that we Americans stand for.

1. IntimatEvolution profile image69
      IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Or, what we are to stand for. 

I think conservatives these days, have a different view.

no it isnt this country was founded by men who said the opposition should be destroyed

what country are you from

Doug Hughesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What  founding father said that?

I'm never sure whether to be amszed or horrified by the stuff you make up...

13. Doug Hughes profile image61
    Doug Hughesposted 14 years ago

I want to clarify a point. I do not think that the issue is strictly racial. It's a class issue and it has racial overtones. But the kind of bigot who wants to prevent coverage  to the uninsured in order to elevate his social status is just as happy seeing 'white trash' excluded as he is seing blacks suffer. SO MY opionion is that there's a class war going on and getting worse. I would have moderates see that, and develop an ear for the class bigot only a few rungs up from the bottom of the ladder who's kicking at anyone 'below' him who stands to move up when he can provide decent health care to himself and his family.

I quoted Gene Hackman because it's an unforgettable scene and a near match for the situation we are in.

1. JON EWALL profile image59
      JON EWALLposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Doug

TODAY THE ILLEGALLS COST THE AMERICAN TAXPAYERS  SOME  $300+ BILLION IN FREE GOVERNMENT ENTITLEMENTS.

THE HEALTH CARE BILL PASSED IN THE HOUSE AND SENATE DOES NOT EXCLUDE ILLEGALS FROM GETTING FREE HEALTHCARE.

The Dems didn't approve the Republican amendment.

Just wondering when you will wake up and realize that your children will be working to pay down the debt that the government is compounding for our future generations.
      The Obama way is for social justice, take from the rich and give to the poor.
      That scenario is socialism, not what our country was founded on.

Wake up and find the truth.The truth will set you free and you will not be bitter or resent the rich,who pay the most in taxes and who provide the jobs needed to support families.

The majority of the saved jobs were public unions jobs in Washington and in the states. Spending money on extending unemployment in stead of helping businesses create jobs is unforgivable.

1. profile image0

The wealthy pay more taxes because they make more money. When Obama became President and stated the wealthy (Making over $250,000.00 each year I think) would be paying more taxes I thought this was a great idea.
        No, America may not have been founded on this however America and other things have changed, times have changed therefore there must be other changes. I know many wealthy people who waste their money on many unneeded or over priced items just to impress others.
        Yet they turn their heads to the starving children. I admit there are many lazy, uninspired/ambitious people in the world. There are also those who COULDN'T further their education for one reason or another.
        True, many resent these types of people but..these people have had children..these children are not at fault and need help even though some cold hearted people don't care and resist this idea.
        Just remember you can be wealthy one day and the next not have even a piece of lent in your pocket much less money.

Try to put yourself in another's place.

There is nothing racial about this. This is about class and there are many white people in this class also.

2. profile image0

Yes well my view is that there is indeed a class war, and that the lower class is created by the reliance of hand outs from the government. The government is in fact, enslaving people through the welfare system, making people reliant on whatever scraps are left over after the corruption and waste and employment of government union workers that on average get paid higher then the private sector and receive better benefits.

Again, when you rely on others to supply your needs you become a slave to that person, or organization, just as I am a slave to my job, welfare recipients are slaves to the government.

Just look what happened to the poverty levels under LBJ's welfare state. It was a disaster!

14. mikelong profile image60
    mikelongposted 14 years ago

"Why don't you post a picture of the many black gangsters putting knives and guns in the hands of little children?"

Black gangsters are not racists..some might be, but the KKK is ALL racist.

Instead of emphasizing the black gangsters...why don't you recognize that not only are whites gangsters, but that other gangs were responses to the aggressor.. Look at the roots of gangs..look them up..see where it all comes from Brenda... But I won't wait up for you to actually do your homework..

Why don't you also look at groups like the Aryan Brotherhood...let us see how many guns they are putting in the hands of youth....this is just one, and a more recent addition, to the ongoing American tradition of organized racism...

Have you heard of the Sleepy Lagoon Murder or the Zoot Suit Riots, by the way?

gangsters...

From Pacas to 18th street, to the Bloods and Crips, there is multiethnicity.....not so with the KKK......  That flag that that kid is wearing is also a symbol of treason... That boy must be getting brought up well..

I wonder if "Combat 18" is going to be playing anywhere around him....

"Why don't you post statistics about how many drive-by shootings were done by members of inner-city gangs?"

Refer to my statement above.... I haven't mentioned the statistics of white racist acts against anyone else...perhaps when I start my statistics portion of the argument we can do some comparative analysis...But again, membership in a street gang does not imply racism...and acts by gangmembers are mostly all towards one another...not targeting ethnic groups based on being alive...

Big difference Brenda....way to show your lack of real knowledge of "gangs" or "the inner city".

"Why not post a pic of some black rapper advocating oppression of women?"

You must know much of rap.  I listen to KRS One, Del the Phunky Homosapien and Immortal Technique, amongst others...

White corporate interests have twisted the public image of rap/hip-hop into a lot of things that the real culture abhor...listen to the music from the list I mentioned.

A close friend of mine composes and performs similar music..justfloz.com

Way to turn a diverse culture into a stereotype....  Rap/Hip Hop has enabled women, as well, far and beyond the Republican Party, Sarah Palin, or any Tea-bagger gaggle...or whatever it is you claim to represent...

"And the pic of an effigy of Sarah Palin being hung during Halloween? And the gay Kevin Jennings teaching our school children that man-boy sex is okay?"

I haven't heard about either of those things...I don't believe in the lynching motiff at all.....regardless of who it is directed towards... As for sexuality issues, I don't believe in repression of what is normal....and I believe that kids need to know more about it than conservative "abstinence and straight only" air bags...who in more and more cases end up being gay themselves...

This reminds me of the military....having homosexuality illegal is an unofficial power hold....

Those with power who are gay can then abuse subordinates....and hold legal "transgressions" against the less powerful.... It is used for other things to which are on a diffent tangent...but it often leads to abuse of power regardless... (in an illegal state)..

Real response Brenda?

15. lovemychris profile image75

I know exactly what you mean Dolores!!
    It's UNBELIEVABLE what come out of their mouths!
    My virgin experience was with Rush Limbaugh...back when Clinton was pres...oh my god, he was pure slimy gooey hate.
    I was damaged!! Oh the vitriol. So, after that..nothing surprises me...much. Sometimes Beckles the Clown will come off with something so off the wall, your jaw just drops.
    I just can't listen anymore. And I was an addict! Since 1985..Jerry Williams on WRKO Boston. First show, Deadly Force, interviewed a former cop about the BPD....Gene Burns, a Libertarian who saw all sides....Lefties, Righties...it was all there. Then came 1991 or so, and bam...slowly it became all right-wing. And not the conservative thoughtful kind, but the kooks!

Dam shame. They ruined a great medium. And then they took Howard Stern away, because they weren't content to just change the channel, they had to take it away from all of us....
    Some freedom baby!

1. Sab Oh profile image57

No one took Howard Stern away. He took a fat contract with sattelite radio.

16. lovemychris profile image75

He didn't want to leave commercial radio--Focus on The Family and Michael Powell fined him out of existance...and repressed his speech so much why bother to talk?

They can't handle anything that goes against their ideology. They're not for freedom, but repression.

He lost a lot of listneners, including me. Just can't justify paying to hear him, and I shouldn't have to!
    Limbaugh is more offensive than Stern every day of the week. But this FCC isn't going after him like the Repub/Christian Right one did to him.

That's why ALL your claims of loving the Constitution...loving freedom, are bunk.

1. Sab Oh profile image57

"He didn't want to leave commercial radio"

BS. He jumped at a huuuuuge contract and is now a much richer man than before. If you want to listen to him go ahead, he's still there.

17. Ralph Deeds profile image65
    Ralph Deedsposted 14 years ago

The GOP is playing with fire in its dalliance with the unhappy populist Tea Partiers. The question it faces is how to bridge the immense gap between its traditional rich individual and corporate supporters and the disgruntled masses. A kerfuffle in the UK over a recent statement by an elderly 39-year member of Parliament over his objection to not being to travel first class at taxpayer expense illustrates the problem faced by the GOP here.

Election Looming, Tories Put Posh Foot in Mouth
    By SARAH LYALL
    Published: March 22, 2010

LONDON — What could be more embarrassing for a party trying to change its elitist image than the existence of someone like Sir Nicholas Winterton? A Conservative member of Parliament for the last 39 years, Sir Nicholas wandered disastrously off message recently when he decided to share his thoughts on why legislators should be allowed to travel first class to avoid exposure to the common man.

David Cameron, the leader of Britain's Conservative Party, fielded a question during a meeting in a London neighborhood on Wednesday. Mr. Cameron's party is ahead of Labour in recent polls.

“They are a totally different type of people,” Sir Nicholas declared in a radio interview, speaking about the relative ghastliness of people in standard-class train cars. “There’s lots of children, there’s noise, there’s activity. I like to have peace and quiet when I’m traveling.”

As Labour supporters gleefully disseminated “LOL”-annotated links, David Cameron, the Conservative leader, moved swiftly to register his lack of appreciation for Sir Nicholas’s philosophy. Still, with an election looming, it was a reminder yet again of how difficult it has been for the Tories to shake off a past that a fair number of them still seem to embrace.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/23/world … ?ref=world

18. Arthur Fontes profile image73
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

By increasing the monetary burden on each and every household we will also be lowering the amount of charitable contributions those households can afford.

Thereby increasing the outcry to govt to step in and pick up the pieces.

Increasing once again the size and scope of the govt.

Doug Hughesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The monetary burden decreases. Premiums will stay the same for the vast majority who get insurance through work. For those who buy their own insurance premiums will effectively go down (though some people will elect better coverage that they can afford with the help of subsidies). This downward trend for those not covered at work is true up to a family income of $88,000 per year. Source: CNN 03-22

You pay tax on your medical insurance ONLY if the policy costs over $27,000 per year. These 'cadillac' plans were designed for top executives as a company-paid perk - no copays, no deductables, etc.  The fuss over unions not being covered is bogus. A few unions have gotten their employees covered under these expensive plans, and they are sometimes under a 4-year contract. The exemption gives those contracts time to expire so the union negotiators can opt to a less expensive, non-taxed plan. Which is only fair.

19. alexandriaruthk profile image68
    alexandriaruthkposted 14 years ago

health insurance is a basic factor in health seeking behavior, I agree with Deborah and prettypanther here

20. susanlang profile image60
    susanlangposted 14 years ago

I know of a man who's in the hospital right now and he has a problem with his prostate gland as he is wetting himself before he can get to the bathroom. The doctor and hospital as of todays date is refusing to give him a prostate exam. Whats worse, after the man has been in this hospital for 9 days having the same problem, none of the staff, not even his doctor thought to do a pee test. But they are milking his health insurance company just fine.

21. wyanjen profile image70
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

I just got this e-mail, if anybody might be interested:
    sorry it's so long but I don't want to edit it shorter

I want to highlight some of the changes that middle-class families and small businesses will see over the next year:

Starting Right Now...

o   Small businesses will get a tax cut to help them pay for health insurance for their employees. Companies will get a credit up to 35 percent of the money they spend on premiums. Those credits will increase over time, eventually reaching 50 percent when the Insurance Exchanges go into effect. The full credit is available to small firms with 10 or fewer employees, and firms with up to 25 employees will qualify for a partial credit.

o   The federal government will begin investing in community health centers to provide care to the people who need it most. In the next five years, $11 billion will be spent expanding access to health centers to 25 million more people in 10,000 communities.

o   Any senior who is affected by the so-called "doughnut hole" will qualify for a $250 rebate to help them pay for their prescription medicines.

In 3 Months...

o   People with pre-existing conditions will be able to get help with a special fund set up to cover the gap until the Insurance Exchanges are up and running.

o   Retiree health plans qualify for a new federal reinsurance program for health plans covering early retirees (age 55-64) to bring down costs for businesses and lower premiums.

In 6 Months...

o   All health plans will be prohibited from denying coverage or care to children because of "pre-existing conditions." This protection will apply to everyone when the Insurance Exchanges are up and running.

o   All health plans will be required to allow young adults to stay on their parents' insurance until age 26.

o   All new health plans will be required to provide free preventive care with no co-pays or deductibles.

o   All health plans will be prohibited from cancelling coverage when a patient reaches a lifetime limit on coverage.

o   All health plans will be prohibited from cancelling coverage if a patient gets sick or if they file too many claims.

o   All new health plans will be required to allow consumers to appeal insurance company denials of coverage and get an independent review of their case.

o   All new health plans will be required to let you pick your own primary care doctor. Women will also be allowed to visit their ob-gyn without getting permission from their insurance company first, and all patients will be guaranteed access to emergency care.

On January 1, 2011...

o   Seniors in Medicare can make an appointment for a free annual wellness checkup with their doctor. There will be no co-pays or deductibles for this visit.

o   All insurance plans will be required to spend at least 80-85 percent of their revenues on medical care. If they spend too much on wasteful overhead, like executive salaries and advertising, they will be required to give their customers a rebate.

The package of fixes the Senate is working on now will make this good bill even better. This "reconciliation package" will be debated over the next few days. As we continue working on this issue, I remain committed to helping middle-class families, small businesses, and seniors afford the health care coverage they need. For updated information about this new legislation, you can visit my website at http://stabenow.senate.gov/healthcare.

As always, please continue to keep me informed about issues of concern to you or your family.

U.S. Senator Debbie Stabenow
    The United States Senate • Washington, DC 20510
    stabenow.senate.gov

1. profile image0

Is she up for re-election this year? I'd love to see that socialist defeated!

Thanks. Nothing like a few facts. Stabenow is my senator as well. Wonder why I didn't get the same communication.

1. wyanjen profile image70

This just came through to me this afternoon - I posted it here right away actually. I don't get too many from her office anymore. I used to get quite a few, but they seem to have dropped off.

I'd offer to forward it to you, but I posted the whole thing here - minus my personal info of course. 
        wink

2. susanlang profile image60
        susanlangposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ralph, you have a good question smile Let me know if you get the answer.

3. Padrino profile image62
      Padrinoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This info is just great. Reading this one may get the impression health care is free, but sadly all of these things cost real money! Where is it coming from?

22. Dolores Monet profile image95

Why is it considered socialist to take care of sick children? And why are hardworking people suddenly considered dead beats? The working poor are a lot of the people who have no health insurance. These are people who work. Hard. Businesses have a hard time affording health insurance to workers so the old system has put a strain on them as well.
    The wealthy folks in this country have the lowest taxes they ever had. The wealth in this country is in the hands of fewer and fewer people. It's a class war alright, a war against the working people.

1. Padrino profile image62

The way you phrase the question makes it sound like the only people benefiting from this redistribution of wealth are children. What kind of hard hearted person would be against helping sick children? Of course that's not the reality of this bill and it certainly isn't to help anybody except to help the government get more of our money.

This entire bit of legislation is designed to get the U.S. to a single payer system, the insurance companies are mandated to keep 85% of their money on hand to pay insurance claims instead of the 65% that was required before, they will pay an extra 40% in taxes. The result of this is the collapse of the insurance industry as you know it, whats left? The government will sweep in and control 100% of health care.

The U.S. government has never shown any ability to run anything effectively and this will just be a repeat of Social Security,Medicaid,Medicare,and the post office. The Post Office by the way has the benefit of laws that protect it from competition and still loses money.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65

I don't know much about Medicaid, but I'm very pleased with Social Security, Medicare, the U.S. Postal Service and Unemployment Compensation, something I actually know a fair amount about having worked in the field for 8 years or so. All are solid, useful public services. We urgently need to figure out how to curb Medicare costs however, or the country will be bankrupted. The Obama bill didn't go far enough on this.

1. Padrino profile image62

If you are receiving those things then I guess you would be pleased, the young people paying for it aren't all that happy about it. The point is its all a ponzi scheme, take from those working and give to those retired, its broke!

The money for these programs were supposed to be for these programs, that is not how things happened at all. Politicians from both side funded their pet projects with the money and now its all gone. And you are right this bill will bankrupt the country, nothing but drastic cuts to services we all depend on will stop it, we are screwed. For every dollar this country spends we borrow .50 cents, its unsustainable and it is the Democrats who will pay for it.

23. profile image0
    Robakerostposted 14 years ago

Interesting topic and a lot of conversation in here

24. susanlang profile image60
    susanlangposted 14 years ago

Update: That man with the prostate problem, after a long struggle with the hospital and doctor, he has since been tested for cancer, enlarged prostate and other problems. The only thing they found was an enlarged prostate which is being treated with meds. He just got out of the hospital, good for him I say. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)