What caused Roman sociaty to colapse?

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (74 posts)
  1. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

How much does moral behavior affect the social fabric?

1. Don W profile image83
      Don Wposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Bad spelling?

1. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Probalbly.

1. Siotosh profile image60
          Siotoshposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Close but you're all wrong, because it is a known fact that the Roman society evolved, into Christianity ( Bad spelling? ). That is probible the strongest for the evolution  theory. LOL

2. profile image0
        cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

p.s. Jeromeo answered the question quite nicely, i think.

3. mega1 profile image79
        mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol lol lol

4. tksensei profile image60
        tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Aw, I was gonna say that!

1. profile image0

Thanks.

2. profile image0
      L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In a way it was all moral and social stuff. In a way it was nothing to do with it.

The empire tried to expand too quickly (due to greed) so its forces were spread too thinly. This is why society collapses. They, literally, just got wiped out.

3. Don W profile image83
      Don Wposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Translation: Modern America is comparable to Ancient Rome. The moral corruption that was rife then is also prevalent now and will cause the collapse of the United States if allowed to go unchecked. You can (and must) stop this by subscribing to the same spiritual/religious and political beliefs I subscribe too. If you don't then we're all going to hell in a communist/atheist hand-basket.

Summary: Repent, the end is nigh!

1. mega1 profile image79
        mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

oh, verily, verily, good citizen, it is~! smile

4. Paraglider profile image88
      Paragliderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There's some evidence that lead poisoning was a contributory factor in the decline. Wine acids and lead are a lethal combination. The Roman aristocracy arguably destroyed their own intelligence with poisoned wine and lost the ability and interest to keep on top of matters out in the field.

I know that sounds like a crazy conspiracy theory, but it's reckoned to have been a factor, if not the whole truth.

But there's your answer - if overindulging in wine (which they did) is immoral, then yes, immorality was instrumental in the fall of the Roman Empire smile

5. Rod Marsden profile image67
      Rod Marsdenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Roman society collapsed over a long period of time. It didn't just happen over night. The true  wonder is why ancient Rome lasted so long. Christianity was brought in as a state religion to shore up the social decay that was evident. Rome had really grown too big too fast. The city, for example, became dependent on grain from Egypt. When Egypt suffered drought then famine Rome also suffered from lack of grain.

Christianity didn't help the Roman situation as much as Constantine and the other Roman emperors that came after him were hoping it would. Christian bishops when they came into real power were divided over what Christianity was all about. If Jesus was the equal of his heavenly father doesn't this suggest that there are, in reality, two gods? There were bishops who were all for this two god approach. Constantine, however, went with the idea that Jesus was from the essence of the one and only true god and this belief has come down to us. Divisions in Christianity meant in the end divisions between Eastern style Christianity and what has  become Western Christianity. Dividing the empire into east(Constantinople) and west (Rome) seemed to hold some promise. It worked for a while.

When the barbarians from the north sacked Roman a number of times I suppose you could then say Rome was finished as a formidable power. These barbarians, especially the Normans, created the holy Roman empire in remembrance in part of the ancient Roman empire but that is another story.

My take at any rate.     

6. Presigo profile image60
      Presigoposted 14 years ago

Don, that was good ! This is a big question with much to comment on, maybe the makings of a new hub !

7. profile image0
      ralwusposted 14 years ago

They fell because they too could not spell society or collapse. LOL wink

1. profile image0

Bite me.

1. profile image0
          ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

OK. But I warn you, I have some good canines. LOL Don't cha just hate that ya can't fix that? They need to make a way for us to edit the title too. LOL

1. profile image0

I'm going crazy here trying to fix it too! I don't need advertizing to look stupid.

2. mythbuster profile image72
        mythbusterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Their grammar may have been atrocious too?

smile

8. Jeromeo profile image60
      Jeromeoposted 14 years ago

Greed,moral/political corruption, & being extended to far militarily.

1. profile image0

I guess we got them all working about now.

1. sooner than later profile image60
          sooner than laterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Its interesting that some notice what the romans did wrong, but they don't see the comparison. Good answer btw Jeromeo

1. profile image0

My point.

1. drej2522 profile image68
              drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are 'we' saying the United States is on a verge of colapse?...I mean, collapse lol

1. profile image0

Bite me.smile

2. Presigo profile image60
            Presigoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sooner,
            you are absolutley right. They had a large welfare state as each roman citizen was guaranteed certain amounts ofgrain and meat, which caused incredible entitlement. They could no longer afford their society. The moral and political corruption was immense.  It is a story that could be told of us in the future

1. sooner than later profile image60
              sooner than laterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I read today that half of american children are fed by welfare.

2. profile image60
        logic,commonsenseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sound familiar!

9. dyonder profile image71
      dyonderposted 14 years ago

According to Rousseau's 'War & the Lasting State of Peace' Rome never collapsed - the senators just swapped their gowns for clerics' robes

1. mikelong profile image61
        mikelongposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nice post. 

Roman elites would use the church and state to their advantage. While one family member may stand to inherit the family wealth, other siblings would often join the clergy, therefore keeping family wealth centralised. At the same time the families would give money, lands, etc, to the church....

The non-church administration, however, lost its tax base over time.

The prestige of being a Roman elite had to do with service to community. The town council, per se, would be responsible for paying taxes to the center (Rome). Yet, over time this feeling of civil pride faded as tax demands from Rome increased.  People, more and more, would hide their wealth, and therefore keep from having to serve on the town council (and be liable for tax payments).

They would sell their lands to others (while secretly retaining them for themselves) in order to show the state that they were poor, and therefore unable to serve their communities.

The Roman elite in the church never had this problem, and through their missionary work with the Germannic peoples they came in contact with, whether in the territory that would become England, or France, or Germany, to keep their status intact.

Too few have read Rousseau.......

10. sooner than later profile image60
      sooner than laterposted 14 years ago

I thought so. smile

11. mega1 profile image79
      mega1posted 14 years ago

But seriously, if you see the world the way I do, Rome didn't collapse and is still collapsing, as is all the world we know as Earth, the Universe and Infinity.

12. profile image0
      ralwusposted 14 years ago

No problem Sneak, we all have been there. I did a porate thread, shoulda been pirate. The Roman Civilization fell because of corruption, and bad spelling, you ever try spelling Latin? LOL

1. profile image0

I really do suck at spelling! It's the one thing I just don't get right.smile

13. Nell Rose profile image89
      Nell Roseposted 14 years ago

It was probably because of Boudicca our most famous Celtic queen, she wipped their a...s. and after she fought them and they eventually killed her, they thought to themselves, my God do we have to live in britain and marry women like that? Bright red hair streaming out behind her, screaming and wipping the horses in her chariot, stabbing and swinging a sword in every direction. and that was on a good day! imagine if they asked her for a cup of coffee, and if she woke up in a bad mood! A mad English woman chasing them around the bedroom with a machete... does'nt bear thinking about, the Romans being so refined and all!

14. Ron Montgomery profile image61
      Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

Gay marriage and gun control.

Oh yeah, and socialized medicine.

15. Daniel Carter profile image62
      Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

I think the Roman Empire fell because the big money machines of the day were in bed with the government.  Just sayin'.

16. drej2522 profile image68
      drej2522posted 14 years ago

(shrugs) I think they had a good run...time eventually caught up to the corruption and internal struggles...because, lets face it, people suck! smile

17. profile image0
      worried manposted 14 years ago

The same inevitable proccesses that erode every culture.

18. Valerie F profile image60
      Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

It certainly didn't help that the Roman government couldn't come up with the right answer to a relative no-brainer question, "Those Goths want equal treatment, and they're getting restless. What should we do?"

1. Paraglider profile image88

Maybe if they'd laid off the poisonous wine they could have thought that one through!

19. David Bowman profile image61
      David Bowmanposted 14 years ago

There are many theories about what led to the collapse of the Roman Empire. Some say that constant barbarian incursions into Roman territory had a lot to do with it. Overextension of military forces and the maintenance of said forces became too much of a burden.

I think I've heard some experts say that bad governance by tyranical emperors and their extravagant spending on various building projects for the purposes of self-glorification is said to have been a factor.

Then again, it could have just been tainted wine as Paraglider has suggested.

Perhaps all of the above contributed in some way to the fall of the Roman Empire.

Like Dubai, you mean?! Especially the self-glorifying building projects - man made islands, world's tallest tower etc...

Plus ca change smile

1. Dame Scribe profile image57
          Dame Scribeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol is strange, a wealthy nation looking to add assistance for their future tongue

Dubai isn't naturally rich. It built its real estate, commerce & tourism empire on borrowed money and inflation. It doesn't have its own oil or gas, unlike Abu Dhabi or Qatar. It's now a burst bubble, dependent on Abu Dhabi to bail it out.

20. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 14 years ago

I wrote about this from my point of view it is here on HP smile

21. WriteAngled profile image73
      WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

The Romans were unimaginative bureaucrats, like the UK government today. Their society inevitably became stale and started to moulder away.

22. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image60
      VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 14 years ago

The Roman empire lasted for nearly 2000 years. It itself is a great thing. As generations pass by, people tend to become heroes themself, instead of glorifying their elders.

In the case of Rome, the neighbouring countries improved enormously. England established monarchy and annexed neighbouring states of Scotland, Wales and Ireland. It became powerful and had more influence on other European countries. That is one reason.

The discovery of new lands in east, west and Africa made Rome lose its importance. With new colonies and new sources of revenue, the European countries stopped caring about Rome. That is another reason.

As long as the Christian influence ruled over the Romans, they were strong intact. After the founding of Protestant sect, the original religion, which later became Catholic lost its glory. With religious glory vanishing, Rome lost its supremacy. That is the third and final reason.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
        Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Your timeline is skewed.  Adopting Christianity as a state religion coincided precisely with the beginning of the fall of the empire.  There's a lesson there for the U.S.  Of course you would have to be able to read to learn the lesson...........

1. Valerie F profile image60
          Valerie Fposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So skewed, I don't know where to begin. Suffice to say, England didn't annex anybody during the Roman Empire. It was itself part of the Roman Empire. The Scots were also so feared that Hadrian's Wall was built to keep them out of Brittania. Upon rumors that the Irish were even crazier, the Romans opted to simply not bother with them.

As for adopting Christianity, I think there were indicators that Rome was declining well before Constantine's time, such as the persecution of the Church. Whenever a government puts so much effort into targeting one particular group, it's obvious they only want a scapegoat for their own problems.

1. profile image56
            thetfinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good points all of them! (Especially the one about us Scots being crazy!)

2. profile image56
        thetfinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

European colonization occurred long after Rome fell.
        Care to explain how Protestant religion existed before the Catholic one? If I recall correctly, the bible took decades if not a century or more to be completed and distributed. How can a religion base it's teachings solely off of a book when said book has yet to take a completed form? Tradition would seem to be a neccessary element here.

23. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

they were replaced by a better society, politically, more organized, new religion, fresh new set of world order...the English civilization I call it

1. kerryg profile image84
        kerrygposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But bear in mind that England did not become a major world power until after the Norman conquest in 1066, nearly 600 years after the most common date given for the "fall" of Rome, 476 AD, and that it was only one of many European countries jostling for position for another ~600 years after that. It wasn't until the 16th and 17th centuries that England really became a dominant power, and not until the 18th and 19th centuries that it really reached its zenith, about 1500 years after Rome's fall.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
          prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

would you call it dark ages after the roman empire fell down

1. kerryg profile image84
            kerrygposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"Dark ages" puts it mildly, to be frank.

It's hard even to fathom how far Europe fell and how long it was stagnant afterwards. Charlemagne made some attempts at improving the situation in the late-8th century - that's 300 years after Rome fell, longer than the United States has been a country. The 600 years from Rome's fall to the Norman conquest of England is longer than Europeans (a few Scandinavian sailors excepted) have known that America existed.

When you think about how much has happened in those 600 years and how little we know of anything that happened in the 600 years after the fall of Rome, it really puts things into perspective.

2. AdsenseStrategies profile image64
            AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey, I am English, and I'd say both Rome and England were not exactly "civilized"! I mean, the Romans were a military empire; if someone conquered half the known world today by military might, we wouldn't praise them, would we? Who praises the Soviet Union for example?
            As for the British empire, well, ditto...
            I mean, at least the Americans didn't go marching around the world to achieve the might they did (though native peoples would disagree with me). They've done a fair bit since then, of course, but it's pretty impressive that they were such a power by the middle of twentieth century while they only had a few, small colonies...
            ...I mean, in comparison to the British: who basically stole everything they could find, the world over.
            (Let's see how this one plays out: a Brit defending the US, and a bunch of Yanks leaping to the defence of the English, perhaps?!!!! wink )

1. profile image0

I love the English and I love England!

24. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 14 years ago

Being greedy turned on them and led to self destruction.

It happens in all situations when the fundamentals are greed.

25. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

Here's a great web site that outlines the multiple factors that various authors have attributed to the decline.

http://www.visualstatistics.net/East-We … tivity.htm

Interestingly, some of those same factors are present in the USA today.

26. kirstenblog profile image79
      kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

As far as I was aware I thought a big part was the use of lead, from cosmetics to lead pipes. All that lead poisoning in the higher classes must have been a factor....

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image64

Sounds right...

27. helot profile image58
      helotposted 14 years ago

The use of alchemists to produce gold from lead.  What they ended up doing is producing gold colored lead which was then made into goblets, plates, and other things that the aristocracy used.  This made them dumb and thus they did dumb things.

Or like any empire, they outgrew themselves and rotted from the inside out.

28. AdsenseStrategies profile image64
      AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years ago

Who knows. Who really knows. None of us was there...

I am pretty sure it wasn't sleeping around though...

29. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Rome fell due to coruption on all levels. The most devastating was moral because it affects all aspects of life.

Possibly true. It seems reasonable that a widespread lack of stability in the family unit could erode a civil society, for example (if that is what they had). But, again, none of us here (I assume) is a professional ancient historian, so...

1. profile image0

I wouldn't listen to me I don't know much of anything.

But for us amateurs it doesn't sound so bad as a part of the reason, perhaps...

1. profile image0

I like you! But I need a shower so I'll leave you here, we both wouldn't fit.smile

30. Make  Money profile image67
      Make Moneyposted 14 years ago

When asked how long did the Roman empire last for this site says this.

Romulus Augustus was deposed by the Germanic chieftain Odoacer. (Source)

This map fairly clearly shows that the Western Roman Empire fell to Germanic tribes such as the Ostrogoths, Visigoths, Vandals and Huns.  The British Isles were not invaded by the Angles, Saxons and Jutes (the English) until after the Romans left the British Isles in the 5th century AD.
      http://static.newworldencyclopedia.org/thumb/2/2d/Invasions_of_the_Roman_Empire_1.png/500px-Invasions_of_the_Roman_Empire_1.png
      Map source

From 610 with the birth of Islam the Eastern Roman Empire fell to the Islamic sword.  Note in the first map below how the middle east was Christian before the birth of Islam.  This gives a clearer meaning to the Crusades when you consider they were just meant to secure a safe passage for pilgrims to the Holy Land.
      http://tonova.typepad.com/thesuddencurve/ad_600.jpg
      http://tonova.typepad.com/thesuddencurve/626_ad.jpg
      http://tonova.typepad.com/thesuddencurve/737_ad.jpg
      The above 3 maps are taken from this Source under the title of 'Whom invaded Whom, again?"

Note the Khazar Khanate in the above map.  This was a powerful kingdom in the 700s made up of Aryan Turkic tribes.  In 740 the Khazarian King had his whole empire convert to Judaism.  They are now know as Ashkenazi Jews and make up the majority of the Jews today. (Source)

31. brimancandy profile image78
      brimancandyposted 14 years ago

This just a comment, so don't dump all over me.

The reason societies fall, is because they are too convinced that changing anything in the way they live will somehow greatly
      effect them. Like they might suddenly all drop dead if thier Capitalist country suddenly became a socialist or communist country. They are so full of their old ideas, that anyone who threatens that idea needs to be taken out with war.

If it isn't government related, societies continue to fight over religion. And, back then, if your were an emporer, you considered yourself a god, and whomever did not obey your wishes was executed on the spot. I would assume it was more than likely a war over religion that was their downfall.

One thing I have always loved came from "John Lennon."
      The song was "imagine". A world with no governments, no religions, no money. What would that be like?

The problem is a lot of people can't imagine. And those who are in power wouldn't even dream of it. That is why a great society falls, because they eventually get so stuck in their ways, that when they can't do any better, they lash out, and go out looking for people whom they think are less than them and try to convert them to their ways. Usually with bad results.

Obviously nothing has changed, and we are the new Romans.

1. mythbuster profile image72
        mythbusterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ah - just condensing here - but if I get what you're saying correctly - "failure to adapt/inability to adapt/refusal to adapt" causes collapse - both for the Romans and any society?

32. JON EWALL profile image61
      JON EWALLposted 14 years ago

hubbers
      Let's all hope that history will not repeat itself in our generation. The greatest empire on earth at that time was not defeated by their enemies.
      The empire collapsed from within the government, the political needs for power and greed.

Sounds a little like what is happening today.Time will only tell if history will repeat itself?

33. Padrino profile image60
      Padrinoposted 14 years ago

"What caused Roman sociaty to colapse?"

Romans!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)