The Nature of Fan Mail - feedback requested

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (37 posts)
  1. SEM Pro profile image82
    SEM Proposted 14 years ago

Naturally, receiving any fan mail is great. I tend to take things literally though so before posting, the question to tell the world what I think of that author stares me in the face and I write a mini recommendation.

On the other hand, any fan mail received is more of a personal message or thanks. I'd greatly appreciate your comments to help me solve the dilemma that's now tempting me to simple say I am a fan without letting them (or anyone else) know why.

1) Do outsiders read our fan mail?
    2) Which do you receive more of: recommendations or personal messages?
    3) Which do you prefer to receive?
    4) Which do you leave - and why?

Thanks in advance for your help!

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Umm, ok, let me see what I can come up with smile

1. yes, once approved it is visible to everybody.
      2. personal messages
      3. personal messages
      4. personal messages - cause I like it this way smile

Well, there is another reason for my #4 choice. With my ESL I do worry about getting condescending, which is really easy to become when you give recommendations, and which really hurts the relationship from the start.

Hope this helps smile

1. Sufidreamer profile image79
        Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You seem to have no problem getting the message across when they are pretty girls......lol

2. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
        GeneriqueMediaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

1. yes, once approved it is visible to everybody.
        2. personal messages
        3. personal messages
        4. personal messages - cause I like it this way smile

mmm...redundancy

1. Misha profile image63
          Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL

SEM Proposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Misha - I know I loved your personal message but wasn't sure if you'd read any of my hubs. Concerning #1 - was more wondering if folks who write as professionals actually utilize any positive fan mail as a recommendation for potential clients or a job writing.

Very much appreciate you stopping by!

3. SEM Pro profile image82

Hmmm - responded in later copy - seem to be going backwards lol Let me say thanks again though smile

2. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Hi SEM Pro ... I prefer honesty in fan mail. Upon joining HP yes... everybody can see those ones... emails...nobody sees those cept you and your fan ... recommendations is good if you know the person...personal messages are more real...least I think so..I leave what I know n that usually is that my fellow HP author/friends and HP team are truly wonderful and one will enjoy themself...least I do anyways...why? I prefer honesty ...personal experience is a recommendation in itself, yes? hmm smile

OK - thanks so much for your feedback Dame Scribe! I agree that personal messages can be a recommendation, but more so for the person themselves than their writing yes? For those of us who are new, we haven't established a whole lot of connective personal experience. Our "fresh eyes", if considered in a way to let the world know why we became a fan, might enhance greater readership? It might also give an onlooker an idea of what type of person is recommending them (consider the source is always a good policy) and also help any of us newbies figure out what we're doing wrong - or right?

Posing everything as a question because I really am in the mode of trying to figure it out rather than trying to confirm an opinion that has no foundation... thanks again!

3. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
    GeneriqueMediaposted 14 years ago

1. I know I tend to. Especially if I want insight on who the person is...by knowing who the gel with I've a better picture of whether or not I would be interested in following their work. Though, I don't discount them if they just have cool writing.

2. I get a lot of personal messages. I love those. smile

3. See uhbuv.

4. It depends on the situation.

GREAT feedback GeneriqueMedia! Tried to bookmark one of your hubs for definite on the list complete reading but some gliche - probably on this laptop I'm having to use on the road prevented it. So I fully understand the 4th. I'll wait to leave a "personal message" before writing anything since I know you love that smile Thanks so much for your thorough assistance!

4. Dame Scribe profile image56

I believe that your writing style will show others what you're about, do not fret over what others think. Best to present yourself as you are n people will pick up on that wink

I totally agree and do write to give the best I have to offer which will eventually shine through. There's always a temptation to compare or decipher expectations, with what others are achieving - especially on the same venue/opportunity. I've started to look at some who've just joined and seem to be a whole lot more appreciated or noticed. I realize though this is partly because I've been too busy working to really dedicate any PR time outside of hp - or on any social venues for that matter.

Your comment (and cruising around) helped me realize that many are too busy to read other hubs but once a personal connection is established, they/we make the time - so thanks again!

5. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
    GeneriqueMediaposted 14 years ago

Yep, what she said.

And if they're leaving you fanmail most likely they are into your stuff.

Was beginning to think they were just appreciative of the mail and sentiments I left them so thanks again (although backwards - commented on your other)

EM wrote that we ought not to simply "reciprocate" on netiquette. I'd been going on the premise that it's all about connections and getting to know fellow hubbers you like and who connect and like you in return.

Appreciate you!

1. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
        GeneriqueMediaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I appreciate you, too. smile Reciprocation indeed! One good turn deserves another. And I'm tired of people living life within the confines of "treat others how they treat you." =P

fun2hub: yup, just like some comments.

Fairwell, so long, good bye, and thanks for all the fish!

Thanks again G|M - think I've encountered too many jerks to ever consider treating others that way lol  Of course, having worked door-door in 3 countries has probably added to the list of jerky attitudes I've run into. For years I've figured my whole job as a salesperson is to make folks laugh first - then we can talk smile

2. SEM Pro profile image82

I have this philosophy that when we communicate with an idea to expand, both of us adamant about a particular opinion, there's the possibility of finding a smaller, third side of the coin. That third side is what can move mountains and change lives. If someone isn't willing to let others hear their side, it's pretty clear that they don't want to expand but would rather "convert" or control me - no chance to move anything that way - it's just going backwards. I do see your point though. Guess I like valid debates.

ON piling on comments - we agree and I think, are both right

6. JamaGenee profile image78
    JamaGeneeposted 14 years ago

For new hubbers I choose to fan, I try to leave something more than "Welcome to Hubpages".  If their first hub(s) really wow(s) me, I'll say so and add "looking forward to more!". I try not to fan anyone without leaving fan mail too. cool

Ah yes - just checked and you have more content/recommendations than most I've seen previously. Thanks so much for your feedback JamaGenee - great example. Think I'll continue to leave mail rather than be tempted to just click "yep, a fan"

1. JamaGenee profile image78
        JamaGeneeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm flattered that you looked it up! cool

7. Dame Scribe profile image56

You are very welcome smile and btw, welcome to HubPages.

Thank you so much - love being here smile

8. Mimbi profile image60
    Mimbiposted 14 years ago

From the profiles I seen, yes people read Fan mail on people posts. It's best if you leave fan mail to leave something encouraging or something that will not take away from a Hubber.
    Aka:
    something that targets the respect or the integrity of a Hubber.
    something that is negative toward how they write or form hubs.
    something that is insulting like use of grammar etc.

If you have any recommendations (for grammar or how they write etc) you can post it in the comments, or mail them. Many Hubbers might not let you e-mail them on Hubpages, but you can always see if they have an address on a personal website or blog.

Hope this helps,

Mimbi

It helps A LOT Mimbi - thank you! I tend to only write if I feel positively or am inspired. I agree, if negative - "do unto others" - I'd rather someone write an email pointing out any glaring errors or if I offended them.

I've discovered getting emails with differing opinions can suck though. As with one I wrote, essentially responding to some personal contacts on a controversial issue and preferring to take it public for verification that I wasn't the only who felt that way. Naturally, I invited feedback. They won't go public and keep emailing me their negative paradigms with absurd justifications - all of which feel like abuse. Did have one fellow fan comment with agreement - so your point is well taken. That same question was later posted as a forum with tons of feedback so I see both the beauty of being able to utilize forums for answers, and having supportive, like-minded fans.

Thanks for your input!

1. Dolores Monet profile image94
        Dolores Monetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sem - Maybe it's better than they email you the stuff you don't like instead of giving you a  hard time in public. Of course, it's always good to get comments, pile them on, at least that shows interest.

9. profile image57
    fun2hubposted 14 years ago

Some fanmails are really funny and irrelevant lol

Hi fun2hub - appreciate your input. What do you consider irrelevant? And what do you consider funny? I'll look for your answers - thanks

1. dingdong profile image57
        dingdongposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Could that be about Spams? I guess sometimes we can see spammy fanmails which are irrelevant and funny too!

10. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Yep Sufi, I am a devoted lesbian lol

1. Sufidreamer profile image79
      Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol

In answer to the OP, most of the fan-mail that I give and receive tends to be personal. I use HubPages as a portfolio and suspect that people are much more interested in your product than the fanmails.

I like to see them as the nice ego-boost that we require from time to time.

Of course, if any potential clients see my forum postings, then I will be in trouble hmm

You deserve the ego boost Sufi! glad I wrote as I did smile

11. lawretta profile image62
    lawrettaposted 14 years ago

I think fan mails are cool! Welcome to hubpages babe.

Thanks! You too lawretta!

12. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

This is going to seem really "stupid" or "oblivious" (or something), but there are a lot of "extras" on HubPages about which I'm not entirely sure (when it comes to what people are "supposed to be" doing.   As a result, a lot of things I've stayed away from until I see something (often here, on the forum) that makes me more aware of it.  (Again, it seems ridiculous because I've been on here for quite a while now.)

Anyway, fan mail is one of them.  I become someone's fan by clicking "become fan", and I always figure nice comments (on individual Hubs) kind of says what there is to say (and helps traffic).  Because I don't know what "fan mail" is "supposed to" be, and because I've only accidentally and occasionally seen "respond to fan mail"; I'm pretty much fan-mail-challenged.  If I want to respond to fan mail I somehow can't ever find "respond to fan mail" when I want to.

I've often thought how I should put something in my profile that says, "I'm not very very 'brave' about new 'social situations' unless/until I really know how things 'work'".  The only reason I mention this is because I imagine there are others like me; and I guess I hope to "promote understanding" that not sending fan mail doesn't always mean not admiring other Hubbers' work.   In the meantime, I'm going to do some more looking into the whole "fan mail" thing (it's about time, eh?).   I pretty much "fan" people when I've seen a two or three of their Hubs that I find to be well written, well thought out, and/or useful.

Thanks Lisa! I too haven't a grasp on all aspects - which is why I posted this forum. Feel like I'm on a sort of learning curve roller coaster even with this forum question. Have been responding to last post seen and then realize, it posted to another comment - yikes. Then I made a spelling mistake with Mimbi's name and went back to fix, only to have the same message post another time - hmmm. My laptop is messed up and I can't post a hub so I figured it was a great time to catch up on all the hubs I want to read and learn - clearly a good call lol

As always - I appreciate your feedback - here and on reciprocal comments with new hubs! So, whatever you're doing, it's working. The responses on here concerning fan mail may educate us both smile

See what I mean smile your message is in the middle - need to come back when not rushed and straighten it all out... (yeah, may have straightened it out - so what if my hair isn't done before my daughter grabs me for another event!)

13. cindyvine profile image71
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

I agree with Lisa, not too sure what the purpose of fan mail is

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)