A Tribute to the Rough Copy by Chitrangada Sharan

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (46 posts)
  1. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

Please take a moment to read this enjoyable article and poem by Chitrangada.

https://hubpages.com/literature/A-Tribu … Rough-Copy

Chitrangada, I can relate to everything you wrote here. I always go through a similar process and my rough copy notebooks are full of sketches and doodles too.

1. surovi99 profile image83
      surovi99posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, John for sharing Chitrangada's exquisite article.

I also love to write my first drafts in notebooks before computerizing and finalizing them. My brother knows how much I love it so that he always gifts me notebooks and I appreciate it a lot. I loved both your prose and poetry along with the quote. Very commendable indeed, Chitrangada!

1. ChitrangadaSharan profile image90
        ChitrangadaSharanposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Hello Rosina!
        I am pleased to know about the writing process that you follow. Writing  notes in rough copy, before submitting it for publishing is the proper way, in my opinion too. Good to know that your brother gifts you notebooks for this.
        I am glad that you liked the thoughts expressed in the article.
        Thank you so much.
        Thank you John, for sharing this.
        Best wishes to both of you.

2. ChitrangadaSharan profile image90

Thank you John, for sharing the link to my article in the forum.
      I am glad that you liked reading it, and found it relatable too. Yes, most of us follow this process, whether for writing or any other creative activities.
      Appreciate your kind words and support.
      Have a wonderful day. Thank you so much.

2. MsDora profile image93
    MsDoraposted 2 years ago

Really good. She wrote for me too. Thanks Chitrangada. Thanks, John

Thank you MsDora, for reading and appreciating the article. I am glad that you found it relatable.
      Thanks and best wishes. Have a great day.

3. Gianella Labrador profile image83
    Gianella Labradorposted 2 years ago

It is always good to look back on the things we have written foolishly and innocently on our notebooks/notes, even on journals, diaries, pocket notepads, after a couple of years that passed by.  It may seem so silly and funny when you read it now, some may flash wonderful accounts of memories, sad and dark times, you'd even find how creativity sparks in you at the very peak of your boredom, or maybe that's just how effective the teacher is in getting our attention as students to the point were only five minutes have passed and we are back to our other business/es such as scribbling, doodling, chitchatting with friends, munching on something, doing other tasks for other subjects, etc big_smile

Nice poem and tribute Chit! Thank you for sharing John! Have a blessed day to both of you!

Hello Gianella!
      Thank you for reading and sharing your insightful comments. I agree with your observations. Creativity sometimes can strike at the peak of boredom—So true!
      I am glad you found this relatable.
      Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Have a good day.

4. Pamela99 profile image89
    Pamela99posted 2 years ago

I really enjoyed this article chitrangada. The rough copy from days past is really a treasure as it contains all those precious memories. I have rough copies from times past also. Thanks for surch an enjoyable article.

Thanks for posting this article Joihn.

Hello Pamela!
      You are right that the rough copies of our past days are no less than a treasure. I am very much attached to my old belongings, and often scan through them.
      Thank you for reading and appreciating the article. I am pleased to read your comments. Have a great day.

5. billybuc profile image85
    billybucposted 2 years ago

That was a fun trip down Memory Lane. I, too, had rough copies, although I had forgotten about them until your fine article. Thanks for the memories and bravo on the poetry, my friend. It has been a pleasure to follow you all of these years.

Hello Bill!
      So good to read your kind words of appreciation. The feeling is mutual and It’s a pleasure to follow you and learn from you.
      I am glad that this refreshed your past memories.
      Thank you and it’s always delightful to hear from you.
      Have a great day.

6. Peggy W profile image93
    Peggy Wposted 2 years ago

Hi Chitrangada,

To this day I make notes on paper before I start writing an article online.  They are discarded after the article is published.  Your rough copy article and poem, plus the quotes, were all enjoyable.  Thanks John for highlighting this piece.

Hi Peggy!
      I am pleased to read your comments. Most of us follow the same process while writing, and that’s so amazing. Thank you for appreciating the article and my poem.
      Always a pleasure to read your encouraging comments. Thank you so much.

7. Diana Lee profile image75
    Diana Leeposted 2 years ago

Those rough copies are treasures all on their own. Notebooks, tablets or a paper bag all turn into a work of art just for jotting down those first ideas of a good story or poem. Great hub, Chitrangada. Thanks for the open discussion, John.

Hi Diana!
      You said it perfectly— All those rough copies are treasures and in fact, a work of art. I agree with you, completely.
      Many thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts. Have a wonderful day.

8. Misbah786 profile image85
    Misbah786posted 2 years ago

Brilliant hub, Di. I thorough enjoyed reading your wonderful hub. Who doesn't really like rough copies?

Loved it all!!  Your hub brought back some beautiful memories of my school & college days. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you so much for creating this forum discussion, John

Blessings to both of you!  smile

Hello Misbah!
      So good to know that this article brought back your student life memories.
      Those were lovely days indeed.
      Appreciate you for reading and sharing your thoughts on this post.
      Have a wonderful day.

9. AliciaC profile image92
    AliciaCposted 2 years ago

What a great idea for an article. Chitrangada has described the value of a rough copy very well in her prose and poetry. Thank you for sharing the article, John.

Hello Linda!
      I am glad that you liked the topic of my article and also the thoughts expressed in it.
      Appreciate your kind words. Thank you so much.
      A wonderful day to you.

10. annart profile image82
    annartposted 2 years ago

This is a great article that so many of us can relate to.  The rough copy lets us scribble down ideas as they come into our heads, before we forget any details - an invaluable reference when it comes to writing the final article.  I have loads of notes which I go through from time to time, picking out relevant ones for the moment or just ones I feel like doing right then!
    Lovely poem too.

Hello Ann!
      I am so pleased to read your thoughtful comments, after receiving your email. Glad to know that this is the process, which most of the writers follow, before publishing their article.
      Thank you for appreciating my poem. Have a great day.

11. RozlinMohsin profile image61
    RozlinMohsinposted 2 years ago

Hi, Chitra di. I enjoyed reading your hub. Rough copies are treasures, I agree. I too do the same while writing an article.
    Reading your hub took me back to my school and college days.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Take care.

Hi Rozlin!
      Thank you for reading and sharing your thoughts about this article. I am happy that it took you back in time, to your student days.
      Have a great weekend and take care.

12. Vanita Thakkar profile image84
    Vanita Thakkarposted 2 years ago

Hello, Chitrangadaji,
    You have written about lovely memories each and everyone of us have in your simple, touchy, fluent, elegant style.
    I could relate to everything in your article and poem. I still have rough copies and the fair versions of the rough copies and compilations go on ....
    Different copies for different subjects, sketching and writing quotes on the back pages, writing poems and lyrics of favourite songs .... we all do that, isn't it ? smile smile
    Now a days, sometimes, I have started writing directly on laptop / mobile, to save time or if I don't see my note book around ....
    Thanks for refreshing many memories.
    Thanks, John for sharing it in this forum.

Hello Vanita!
      Many thanks for reading and appreciating the article. I am pleased to know that you could relate to this.
      Sorry for the late response. Have a great day.
      Thank you so much.

13. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

This article has been stolen, Chitrangada and appears here:
    https://acpeo.com/2022/02/22/a-tribute- … opy/?amp=1

Thank you John, for informing me.
      This has become so frequent with HubPages articles. I do write and publish on Wordpress, and have not experienced any of my work stolen from there.
      There must be some loopholes with the HubPages site, their changed rules etc. If they can restrict the writers/ contributors in so many ways, I am sure they can do something about preventing this from happening.
      So, what am I supposed to do?
      I have some previous experiences of filing the DMCA and all that, and it didn’t help me to get my stolen HP articles removed by the stealer.
      Anyway, thank you John.

14. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

I have not bothered filing a DMCA either, as I feel it is largely a waste of time and effort. If my article had been flagged as duplicate I may feel differently, and my article is linked back to HubPages. It does annoy me though that we put in so much effort, only  to provide some other person with content for their site as they sit back and do nothing.

I agree with you John, that filing a DMCA is a waste of time and effort. My article is also linked back to HubPages, as I have checked just now.
      This is annoying to say the least—Earning money on someone else’s hard work, on their content sites. There are several other articles by fellow writers over there.
      Thank you and take care.

15. Gianella Labrador profile image83
    Gianella Labradorposted 2 years ago

all articles from that site 'acpeo' has now been deleted. God has heard our plea and prayers!

1. Misbah786 profile image85
      Misbah786posted 2 years agoin reply to this

I filed a DMCA a few days ago. Glad to know it's gone now. Thank God. Thank you for the information, Gianella smile

1. Jodah profile image91
        Jodahposted 2 years agoin reply to this

This is great news. Well done everyone who complained about this site. But not all are gone, or they are still stealing. Greg Cain’s latest response to Bill’s challenge is there:
        https://acpeo.com/2022/03/06/bills-chal … -17/?amp=1

1. AliciaC profile image92
          AliciaCposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Sadly, the disappearance of the site was only temporary. It's back.

Yes Alicia, I can still see the site.

Yes John! They are probably stealing the latest published articles.

Thank you Misbah! I have also emailed to HP about this.

Thank you Gianella!

16. Vanita Thakkar profile image84
    Vanita Thakkarposted 2 years ago

I also found my latest article stolen and copy-pasted on this website acpeo.com. That's disgusting indeed.
    This problem is troubling so many of us on HubPages. I hope HubPages administration takes some action on our behalf.
    I have never filed a DMCA till now .... I hope it is not too difficult ....

Sorry to know Vanita, that your article has also been stolen.
      You may write an email to the HubPages team, sharing the link to your original article, and also link to the website of the copied one.
      Regarding filing the DMCA, you can follow the instructions in the learning centre of the HubPages.
      I have notified the HubPages about my stolen article, but haven’t filed the DMCA. I hope and believe, that the HubPages will look into the matter, as this time many writers have been affected.
      Wish you all the best.

17. vocalcoach profile image94
    vocalcoachposted 2 years ago

Chitrrangada, this is brilliant!  I love how you've pointed out that the Rough Copy is our very heart and soul. Many ideas have been the seeds for my articles.  And some of the greatest music ever written started from bits of paper crumpled up and tossed on the floor.  Ideas for songs have even come from tablecloths and napkins

I am grateful for your talent.

So well said, Audrey. Thank you for adding more value to this discussion and to the article, about the importance of a rough copy.
      Always a pleasure to read your insightful comments. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your kind words of appreciation.
      Have a great day.

18. vidsagster profile image87
    vidsagsterposted 2 years ago

Very interesting article and poem on the Rough copy, Chitrangada. I can relate to the points you have mentioned. I also used to jot down notes during classes in rough books and that used t0 be very valuable. Apart from the lessons it would contain other important things like messages, phone number and other thoughts. Now also i jot down notes in a journal, the rough copy and publish after making changes on reads and rereads. Thanks for sharing this wonderful tribute to the rough copy. Thanks John for sharing.

Thank you Vidya ji, for reading this article and sharing your thoughts. I am so happy that you can relate to this. It's so interesting that most of us use the rough copy in the same way.
      Sorry to respond late to your comments. The latest problem of HP article being stolen has proved to be very disappointing, and I wasn't even checking out my email notifications.
      Anyway, many thanks for your kind words of appreciation.
      Wish you a happy day. Thank you.

19. aesta1 profile image91
    aesta1posted 15 months ago

You made me feel nostalgic with your article. I love once in a while to leaf through old notes and enjoy the memories they bring.

ChitrangadaSharanposted 15 months agoin reply to this

Hello Mary!
      It gives me great pleasure to read your positive feedback. I am happy that this article refreshed your sweet memories.
      Thank you dear friend, and my best wishes to you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)