Should the military option be used against Iran?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (68 posts)
  1. profile image0
    James Agbogunposted 14 years ago

It is apparent Iran is determined to arm herself with nuclear weapon. They are not ready for dialogue-as evident in the recent misile test. Should the military option be adopted? should Israel attack Iran?

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I hope and pray no, I really do.

2. blue dog profile image60
      blue dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

please post information regarding iran's "recent misile test" along with any information you have regarding any recent misile tests that the u.s. or any other country on this planet might be actively involved in.

1. jiberish profile image80
        jiberishposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Blue Dog, I charge $15.00 a minute for being your secretary. smile

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id … _article=1

1. profile image0
          A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do you expect him to have 15.00?

3. profile image56
      C.J. Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thats up to the Israelies. But I do like how you couched the question. "Should Israel attack Iran?"  In my opinion yes. The Iranians don't have the capability to reach U.S. Soil with their weapons(millitarily that is). As an American I would say we have no say in this matter.  However Israel and a host of other countries(with in 1200 miles of any Iranian border) should consider an attack.  Israel is probably at a higher risk than the other countries surounding Iran. The only country I think is at greater risk is Iran itself(accidental nuclear exposure). Every country that has utilized nuclear energy has experienced accidents. 3 mile island, cheyrnoble, etc. If a major industrialized nation can screw it up, just think what a country with one foot still in the third world can do!

1. profile image0
        cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

just the talk alone scares me...because it could escalate into action...action that could begin a war unlike any other we have ever known. scary...i don't even like watching the news about it but of course you have to or how else will you know what's going on sad

1. Sufidreamer profile image78
          Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I hear you loud and clear - we are on the fringes of the Middle East here and it is all a little concerning. Hopefully, nobody will do anything stupid hmm

1. profile image0

i know, right? i had a horrible nightmare once after reading "Warday". at the time i had a very high fever, so i had trouble waking up from the dream, and in the dream, nuclear war was coming and i was tyring to get to my son's room before the blast hit and just as i touched the doorknob everything went white. i woke up screaming from that one...

2. profile image0
        Scott.Lifeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The simple truth is that in the event of war outside of Nuclear exchange the United States can not defeat Iran in conflict.They have a million man reserve infantry force, and any internal fractures within their government and population will quickly evaporate in the face of a foreign invasion. We are already stretched near to the breaking point in Iraq and Afghanistan and there we are facing a rag tag bunch of guerrillas. Against a toughened and resilient foe on his home territory we would face a blood bath. I increasingly grow tired of those who push for a war they themselves will not have to fight or die in.

Good point, Scott - the Iranians have a long and proud history and will not roll over. In addition, aggression will drive moderates straight into the arms of the fundamentalists.

Greeks and Iranians have a great deal of mutual respect for each other, and the Greeks have been at the forefront of trying to use diplomacy. Sadly, the talks stalled some time ago - it looks like we will have a new government here in the next couple of weeks, so there might be a fresh attempt.

It is a difficult problem. sad

cosette - that sounds like it was a horrible experience.

1. profile image0

thank goodness it was only a dream Sufi. a horrible dream that could become reality if we are not careful sad

also, how do you fight nukes? with nukes...i wouldn't want to be the nation to use that kind of power against another. Hiroshima and Nagasaki were happenings we don't ever want to repeat.

I know what you mean - I remember watching that Holocaust film as a kid...I forget the name - it had Jason Robards in it...and had nightmares for weeks.

Not sure how to fight nukes - the threat of mutually assured destruction seems to be the only way. Hopefully, wiser heads than mine will figure that out - I have a few friends in Israel and do not want to look in that direction and see a mushroom cloud on the horizon hmm

1. profile image0

I believe you are talking about "Holocaust" maybe. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocaust_ … iseries%29  Maybe not no Jason Robards

Cheers for that, Tex - I could have Wikied, but it is very late here smile

Long time ago since I saw it.

EDIT: Not that one - The Day After: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085404/

Don't know if you saw that one smile

1. profile image0

I remember it well, it was a mini series

3. Make  Money profile image66
        Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Definitely not.

In fact Israel should be threatened with sanctions and loss of all support if they do a preemptive strike on Iran.

4. profile image0
        James Agbogunposted 14 years agoin reply to this
        1. rhamson profile image72
          rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What is apparent to me is that Iran is determined to be heard about their desires and wants to be a part of the global geopolitical community.

Israel is very concerned and I would be too if I were them.  Their determination to carry out their agendas despite calls from the west to stop the settlements and seriously begin talks of peace with the Palestinians is adding fuel to the fire.

Ahmedinejad is a tyrant and should be taken seriously no matter if we agree with his views or his agenda.

We need to talk with him with no preconditions as that will hamper the time factor of getting this thing to a peaceful end.  I did not say we should give him everything he wants but a conversation would be a step in the right direction.

1. profile image0

We must all know that the problem is not from Ahmedinejad. The real ruler of Iran must be brought to the table if any meaningful progress is to be achieved. The man you call the president seem to me as a secretary of state. He only delivers the message of what have been decided at home. small wonder, they usually avoid dialogue.

5. Pearldiver profile image66
        Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Did it work in VietNam? Or Afganistan? Or Iraq? Or the Religious forums? hmm

1. profile image0

So, what is your suggestion?

1. Pearldiver profile image66
            Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Have the US Not lost Enough Sons and Daughters so far?
            The Commercial Value of Iran... Will ultimately decide whether or not the movers and shakers choose a military 'solution'

1. profile image0

Why is it that the US is the only country pushing for resistance against weapons of mass destruction? Why can't the UN and NATO be empowered so that the US can contribute the same combat Quota as other countries?

4. profile image0
      ralwusposted 14 years ago

I don't know but I fear no man's life, liberty, or property is safe while our congress is in session talking about this one.

AMEN!

5. Paradise7 profile image68
      Paradise7posted 14 years ago

NO!!!!  Please, God, NO!!!!!!
      PEACE!

6. profile image53
      Rick Hillposted 14 years ago

Yes, they are a terrorist nation.  Their President was one of the terrorists that took over our embasy several years ago.  We should bomb them back into the stoneage.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Since the majority of Iranian's did not vote for him I don't believe that is a fair option.

7. Tom Cornett profile image80
      Tom Cornettposted 14 years ago

Our very existence is in the hands of leaders of the "Nuclear Nations"  What Nation is really, truly stable and responsible enough to posses the power to destroy the earth.
      Consider the hatred and anger between the political parties here.
      It is a chilling and horrific thought.

8. Paraglider profile image87
      Paragliderposted 14 years ago

In a word, no. It would alienate the large and growing number of Western-leaning Iranians who will, in time, reclaim their own country from the regime.

1. Dame Scribe profile image56
        Dame Scribeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Now that would be a true Blessing smile bravo Paraglider!

2. profile image56
        C.J. Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Any thing that helps destroy the millitary apparatus of this regime will be welcomed by the western leaning Iranians.  Their only issue will be with the people (Israelie's) doing it. Alienate them? No. They more than likely felt alienated when no one came to their aid after the most recent elections. I do believe your correct in the idea that Iran may experience a change from with in.  It would be a great thing, however no middle eastern country has been willing to pay that price so far.

3. earnestshub profile image79
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree, the people in Iran have already suffered enough under the current regime, and most are peaceful intelligent loving families.
        The last thing we should be thinking about a war in Iran! !

9. Flightkeeper profile image66
      Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

I think Israel might have to do the dirty work and stop Iran, I don't see anyone else who is willing to do so and Israel has to for its own sake.  If Israel does, I don't think that Obama will do anything to help her.  Obama sympathizes with the Muslims in my opinion because of his early history.

If Obama sympathizes with the Muslims why haven't we cut off the 3 billion dollars in aid to Israel?

1. profile image0
          Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Because then we would lose our "say so" to a certain degree. Obama's sympathies don't matter as much here.

Is your assumption that I am a sympathizer and therefore not relevent to the argument?

1. profile image0

No. My comment was addressed to your question of "why haven't we cut off the 3 billion dollars in aid to Israel?" Because our financial aid always gives us some influence.

What say so are you referring too?  The influence to stop the setllement expansion? I think you have the cart before the horse here Madame.  We have not cut off the funding to Israel because of the jewish lobby in Chicago and DC.  This regime of Netenyahu's is a circus and the double speak coming out of his mouth is hilarious.  What is more hilarious is that you bought it.

1. profile image0

They're also our main ally in the middle east. That might have something to do with it.

If they are our main ally in the middle east why is it that they were caught and are still spying on us?  This seem to be an uneasy type of arrangement.  We give them money, arms, technical training for the arms they get and they repay us by spying on us.  Try watching this and let me know what you think of our buddies the Israelis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWpWc_suPWo

1. Make  Money profile image66
                      Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If anyone has not watched this short video yet they should.

2. Paraglider profile image87
                Paragliderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A little financial aid gives 'us' some influence. Too much merely gives Israel autonomy, so they can commit war crimes in Gaza with impunity.

1. profile image0

I say, pay em well!

2. Flightkeeper profile image66
          Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am sure it's on his to-do list, he's only been president for 9 months, give him some time.  However, he will have a fight on his hands from the lobbyists.  Israel does get that aid but they are required to spend 3/4 of that money on military materiel that they buy from our companies.

10. Dame Scribe profile image56
      Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

I think Obama is doing great staying 'objective' and not getting 'emotional'. hmm

11. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years ago

It would certainly be good if Israel unleashed itself! Jordan,Saudi Arabia would feign anger while secretly thanking them!

1. Flightkeeper profile image66
        Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

True.  Saudi Arabia has already signaled to Israel that it would be alright with them if Israel attacked Iran.  The Saudis being Sunni do not want a Shia Iran to have the nuclear advantage.

12. visitmaniac profile image61
      visitmaniacposted 14 years ago

I don't think its in our hands anymore. Iran is continuing to pressure the USA on all sides along with North Korea. Given a few more years they will start the war with us and not us with them and it will be much worse off and devastating.

13. Sufidreamer profile image78
      Sufidreamerposted 14 years ago

I think I saw holocaust, too, but I was a little older then. Good series smile

14. Tom Cornett profile image80
      Tom Cornettposted 14 years ago

Iran is facing it's worst drought in years.  They are becoming more and more dependent on foreign grain.     http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/864801.stm    I would guess that the leadership is trying to build leverage for political survival. Perhaps they believe that being "Nuclear" will sort of even the odds at bargaining tables.
      Iran has witnessed the babel of diplomacy during genocide around the globe.....especially on the African continent.
      Why would they trust the so called Super Power Oil Junkie Nations in any diplomatic treaty?
      It is time for the world to bring work together for peace and prosperity to the table instead of war threats from the biggy boys.

15. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 14 years ago

NO

1. profile image0

Misha, why no?

1. Misha profile image63
          Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Likely to backfire badly. Besides, you don't have enough money for the wars you fight already in Iraq and Afghanistan. smile

1. profile image0

Is it better we leave Iran to go ahead with the Nuke if they do not comply with dialogue?

2. ledefensetech profile image68
            ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Who said anything about occupying the country.  We just need to send over a couple of carrier battlegroups and we can level their entire nuclear infrastructure.

1. Misha profile image63
              Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Need a sarcasm smiley? smile

1. ledefensetech profile image68
                ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, I'm pretty sure it can be done.  The Iranian Air Force is a joke and it's not like the Russians have been supplying them with state of the art air defense systems.  I'm very concerned about religious fundamentalists getting their hands on atomic weapons.  It was bad enough when the Soviets and the West developed them.

I think I feel more comfortable with NK or Pakistan having the bomb.  Iran is just too crazy, it's not just Islam either, their brand of craziness goes all the way back to Persia.

1. Dame Scribe profile image56
                  Dame Scribeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's what has me worried too hmm that religious craziness tongue too unstable and emotional ...leaders have to be objective and steady hmm scary , yup.

16. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

We should do what ever makes everyone the most happy!

17. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 14 years ago

What you resist - persists. smile

1. profile image0

You are very right. It is better we ignore them. What has North Korea done with their Nuke except for having it?

18. Ralph Deeds profile image66
      Ralph Deedsposted 14 years ago

Iran agreed in talks with the United States and other major
      powers to open its newly revealed uranium enrichment plant
      near Qum to international inspection and to send most of its
      openly declared enriched uranium to Russia to be turned into
      fuel, senior American and other Western officials said.

This is an illustration that united diplomacy backed by power can solve problems without military action.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/02/world … amp;emc=na

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
        dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree, it seems we are talking for a change,and it can work.
        There is hope

Jon

19. tksensei profile image59
      tksenseiposted 14 years ago

That's great! Iran and NK can have a good ol' chuckle together!

20. Island Tropical profile image59
      Island Tropicalposted 14 years ago

Why do you need to do that? Is it because Iran is a bad country?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)