Why should we have any faith in this administration?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (45 posts)
  1. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 13 years ago

On March 31st Obama gave a speech announcing his decision to allow new offshore drilling for oil.  He and the members of his 'green team' made the dicision to approve after reviewing the subject for more than a year.  Obama's 'green team' is made up of Steven Chu, Ken Salazar, Carol Browner and others.  His reasoning for the approval, "oil rigs today generally don't cause spills" and "they are technologically very advanced"

Cut to today.  In his speech last night he claims to have been misinformed.  Obama assures us that after the catastrophe in the gulf he assembled  a team of the best scientists available lead by, yep....Steven Chu, Ken Salazar and Carol Browner.  The same people who assured him the drilling would be safe are now trying to find a way to deal with the crisis.

Am I the only one that sees a problem with this?

1. pisean282311 profile image62
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

because 'change is here'

2. profile image57
      C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Never waste a crisis".......

3. Dr Love 69 profile image58
      Dr Love 69posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, had they been permitted to drill closer to begin with that big spill may not have occurred.  It's one thing to be green but to be green to the extent that it can potentially cause MORE problems is NOT a good thing.

4. bgamall profile image69
      bgamallposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This system of lax oversite was put in place by Bush. So, it really doesn't matter who you vote for. You get failure.

But that is what corporatism, or corporate fascism is, the weakening of government. It started with Reagan and it may have been useful for a time but I wish Reagan were still alive to see all the damage from deregulation that he was duped into permitting.

1. SparklingJewel profile image66
        SparklingJewelposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...it started a lot longer ago than Reagan...

2. alternate poet profile image67
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

Maybe you should look to Haliburton who did the work that caused the problem in the first place ?

1. tobey100 profile image60
      tobey100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh yeah, I forgot it was Chaney that blew up the oil rig.

1. alternate poet profile image67
        alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well BP are the owners but - A US Company were doing the drilling work from their own rig, and Haliburton did the well sealing that blew out. 
        Cheney blew it to make Obama look bad???, well he blew the shit out of Iraq and Haliburton got all the contracts so maybe the well blow out being Cheney's fault isn't too far fetched.

1. Sab Oh profile image57
          Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this
          1. bgamall profile image69

Dick Cheney is a criminal Halliburton has oil investments in the Caspian Sea. The Taliban went to Texas in 1997 and Unocal thought they had a deal to build a pipeline to those investments. The deal fell through. That same Cheney became vice president and allowed 911. This is not my website but tells the story: http://killtown.911.org

So Cheney is evil. However, it is not clear yet whether Halliburton allowed the oil spill. However, it would not be past an organization who had as a leader and still is Halliburton's political leader, a man who allowed thousands to die on 911 and who wanted a war for oil in the middle east.

The old PNAC website, and Cheney was a member, called for a new "Pearl Harbor" and that request remained up even after 911. An attack on your own citizens is called a false flag and has been done in the past. So Cheney is capable of ruthlessness at any time and any place.

Google "Taliban went to Texas in 1997" to see this is true.

2. Sab Oh profile image57

"Dick Cheney is a criminal "

Really? And where are the charges? NO? I thought not.

Sab, if as Voltaire says, the murders are committed with Trumpets and pageantry, there are no charges.

You are blind on this one Sab. Study it and you will see that the man is a corporate Hitler.

If you don't want to study then it is because you cannot handle the truth.

Fact is, I read with my own eyes the plan on the PNAC website. They posted in 2000 the need for a new Pearl Harbor in order to speed up the necessary entrance of America into the affairs of the middle east. One of the founders of PNAC was Bill Kristol. Other neocon atheists were Jeb Bush, Paul Wolfowitz, and others who were central to the planning of the Iraq War for oil.

They left the desire for a new Pearl Harbor up on their website after 911 no doubt to divert attention from their guilt. Had they taken the message down right  after 911 their guilt would have shown.

Warren Buffet  had a party at the strategic command on 911. One of the CEO's there saw her company destroyed in 911 on TV. The director of her company became the head of the 911 investigation.

Warren Buffet owns Net Jets. A Net Jet was following flight 93 on 911 but the government wasn't. This was mentioned once by Berkshire Hathaway and they have refused to comment on it since.

This is public fact about Buffet. The odds of this happening without Buffet's involvement in 911 is zero.

1. Sab Oh profile image57

"there are no charges"

Yes, I know.

But that is not an argument as to the merits of the case against these criminals. There is no charge against oppressing the poor or usury in the US, but that doesn't mean people won't have to face God about it.

2. JOE BARNETT profile image61
      JOE BARNETTposted 13 years agoin reply to this

which leads to cheney!

3. lovemychris profile image75
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

Hello!
    You got that one right poet!

That man shot his "friend" in the face.

4. CYBERSUPE profile image61
    CYBERSUPEposted 13 years ago

Were you ever misinformed?  Give Obama a break. Perhaps you would like do nothing Bush back. Then the "MISSION would be ACCOMPLISHED"

1. justplainmad profile image55
      justplainmadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

For one, I sure do.

He ain't perfect, but he had some morals and a lotta strength of character and focus.

Unless of course I'm deceived about him.  In which case, Obama's STILL lots worse than Bush, because Obama doesn't even care....about anything really.

2. Sab Oh profile image57

YES!

5. MikeNV profile image68
    MikeNVposted 13 years ago

"Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking."

1. lovemychris profile image75
      lovemychrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and I really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority." - GW Bush, March 13, 2002

MISS HIM?
      Wish he was never there in the 1st place.

6. TMMason profile image61
    TMMasonposted 13 years ago

At this rate Obama may surpass Jimmy Carter in his treasonous American hating ways. I wonder how Obama would handle a hostage crisis with an Islamic country?

Groveling... apologizing... whimpering and giving away all the American assets he has siezed so far in order to placate the terrorists.

Yup, we could be in trouble.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image73
      Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"I wonder how Obama would handle a hostage crisis with an Islamic country?"

Maybe he'll cut a secret deal with them like Reagan did? Oops, I forgot, Reagan is the conservative movement's pseudo-messiah.

The answer to the OP is this: we shouldn't. We shouldn't "have faith" in any administration; they should all be held up to public scrutiny. Luckily, there will always be Americans who are looking for any misstep by a given administration and who will make sure everyone hears about it.

I'd probably prefer it if everyone would complain about issues that are
      1) actually the given administration's fault
      2) actual issues

I find entertaining the folks who complain about a given action (or inaction) of an administration, and then still condemn the administration for later inaction (or action) on the same issue.

To wit, the Right has repeatedly decried government involvement in commerce and industry, saying that regulation and government spending are bad. But now that this oil spill has happened, (most of) those same voices are complaining that the administration didn't regulate the oil industry enough, and isn't doing enough government intervention to deal with the spill.

It's also funny that the folks who complained about W's slow response to the Katrina disaster aren't complaining about Obama's response time to the Gulf spill (and those who defended W's response to Katrina are condemning Obama's response to the BP spill).

Zealots and ideologues serve a function: to call attention to the mistakes (real or perceived) of our leaders on the other side of the political spectrum.

It's on the rest of us to weigh their shrieking and decide if there's a real issue underneath them.

Some zealots, however, have a sufficiently low signal-to-noise ratio that they can be safely ignored. Especially those who malign the patriotism of their opponents, assuming that they (the maligners) have the sole power of determining what loving one's country means, and that anyone who disagrees with them is a scoundrel, rather than a person of goodwill with a different point of view.

Nice post about Reagan's deal with Iran.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image73

Thanks. It's interesting how the Right refuses to pay any attention to the Iran/Contra thing and hold Reagan up as some kind of savior figure.

Reagan was president when the Soviet Union imploded. However he also was big on deregulation. He would turn over in his grave if he could see the evils of the international banker cartel and the ponzi housing scam they hatched.

7. Ralph Deeds profile image66
    Ralph Deedsposted 13 years ago

We should have faith in the Obama administration because an historic health care reform bill was passed; because the START nuclear disarmament treaty has been re-STARTED; because a major financial and consumer protection bill will soon become law; because effective steps have been taken to avert a depression and pull the economy out of the deepest recession since the 1930s; and because "don't ask, don't tell" will soon become history. It's noteworthy that most of these accomplishment have been achieved without Republican votes.

I can't be so positive, Ralph.  Both parties used the new world order idea to fleece us with the repeal of Glass-Steagall, in the name of being competitive with the world. It was a scam from Wall Street and the central banks. Tim Geithner presided over the NY Fed when this ponzi was blooming. These are thieves, and are in both parties.

2. Jeff Berndt profile image73

Ralph, that's all well and good, but I'm still keeping my eye on the administration. I expect Obama will do something I don't like at some point.

I'm pretty leery of the cap-and-trade thing. It's the wrong way to deal with the carbon problem, IMO. I mean really, who is going to be doing the 'trade' part? Wall Street, right? Yeah, remember them from the financial collapse?

Anyway, 'faith' in any administration is a dangerous thing. It's good that no matter who is president, there will always be watchdogs to point out the president's missteps.

8. lovelypaper profile image58
    lovelypaperposted 13 years ago

I don't have any confidence in this president much less faith in the administration. We need to pray for our leaders, especially Obama. But my faith is entirely in Jesus Christ. We should have the worlds largest prayer chain going for Obama right now. I believe there is still hope for our country.

1. SparklingJewel profile image66
      SparklingJewelposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...and the Christ in all people, through all people, is the only hope for America and the world situations. Only in the mind of Christ (the highest mind-set is God)does anyone make the best decisions and choose the right actions

9. SpanStar profile image61
    SpanStarposted 13 years ago

Ask Not What Your Country Can Do You.

Ask What Can You Do For Your County.

Former President John F. Kennedy

10. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

I'm not really convinced that "the administrations" have all that much power anymore.

11. Dominionmaster2 profile image60
    Dominionmaster2posted 13 years ago

Here's my answer to the question of why should we trust the current administration. The answer is Why should we trust any Administration? We sit back and allow these people to bend us over and rape us because we say to ourselves. " Oh let the government take care of those things, we divide ourselves into these 2 parties and no matter how obvious the failure of said party policies are, we support it, we make excuses for it!Because we do not want to admit we are wrong.
       We no longer think for ourselves in this country. We do not take the time to actually read any of the laws, or proposals that are set before us. I voted for Obama, but I will stand in front of anyone and tell them I was wrong, I thought it could be different, but it won't ever be different no matter who we pretend to elect. The reason for this is, that we don't have any choice right now in what direction this country takes either democrat or republican! The phrase United we stand, Divided we fall applies to the 2 political parties more now than ever!

1. SpanStar profile image61
      SpanStarposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Dominionmaster,

It is usually hard for someone to leave me with my mouth open- But you did it.  I am most pleased with all that you said because people have been running around that bush (not former president) for a very long time.  I finally hear what I've been waiting to hear for sometime now from someone other then me.

Thankls

12. Dominionmaster2 profile image60
    Dominionmaster2posted 13 years ago

I will further my last statement and clear up the idea that I am not one of these all government is evil people, I am certainly not one of those people. I support government, without it chaos would ensue. The government ran the way our fore fathers intended it to be is wonderful, it works or we would never have become the nation we once were. However the bastardizing of those ideas by huge corporations and the Elite wealthy in this country has made a mockery of what was once a great society.
        This country is NOT great anymore, it is a sad shadow of it's former self, corrupted and sick with disease, Over run by the elitist, self righteous who believe that their agenda is the only agenda worth messing with, in spite of it's inherent evil and catastrophic implications. We have in fact become worshipers of Money, they have it, we want it and they know it! While you are worried about the next cool cell phone, or the next celebrity scandal, they are trying every means available to keep you in the dark and keep you just below them.

13. mikelong profile image60
    mikelongposted 13 years ago

Sab and Cheney sitting in a tree...

Wanting Bush back?

That deserves a facepalm of its own I'm thinking...

14. eilander1542011 profile image59
    eilander1542011posted 13 years ago

There is nothing green about drilling oil. Everything we have n society today is completely dependent upon our willingness to drill oil. Green would be saying no to drilling oil and instead using the time, energy, money and brain power to advance other powerful technologies. We have an infinite supply of fuel available to us via the wind, sun and water, never mind the Earth's own geo-thermal energy. So why is drilling even discussed anymore. We are so far behind ourselves it is embarrassing. In conclusion we shouldn't have any faith in the current administration. Nor should we have had faith in the last forty plus administrations. And even more concerning is the invariable faith we will have in future administrations. They are all the same... corrupt and power hungry.

15. Mighty Mom profile image79
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

How anyone could possibly be pro-drilling after the BP Gulf Coast disaster is beyond me.
    As you say, eilander, the US has more than enough SAFE natural resources to power our businesses, homes and vehicles. The technology is already being harnessed and applied here in CA.

At the risk of sounding Darwinian, it's "adapt or die" and it goes for big oil companies as well as any other industry.

1. Abecedarian profile image78
      Abecedarianposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In Texas too. Solar and windmill technology is up and running. But I can understand why "some" people are pro-drilling. It's their livelyhood. I grew up in West Texas, where oil rigs were in our backyard, on the school playground. The smell was awful, but it was and is the main source of income. I just came back from there a week ago, after a 40 year absence and the only thing that's changed, is some of the businesses are closed. What will they do for a living if we stop pumping? These are the people that I feel for. Then we have the "greedy", those paid by lobbyists to keep it pumping. As long as the money flows, so wil the oil.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image61
      Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When the Koch brothers via Fox News tell you to be pro-drilling, you damned well better be pro-drilling; no questions asked! mad

16. Abecedarian profile image78
    Abecedarianposted 13 years ago

Because of 506 campaign promises that he made, He's accomplished 106+ of them in less than 18 months and he has over 200 of them working right now, while the GOP is stalling over 80. He ran to work hard for the American people and regardless of all the crap and obstruction, he continues to work to acheive all those promises he made to us and how do we thank him? We contiuously bitch and complain it's not being done fast enough, he's trying to control us, he's doing things that are "unconstitutional". WAKE UP!  He's a CONSTITUTIONAL ATTORNEY. He knows it inside and out, so why would he do something that is illegal? Oh, I know because Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck said it, so it must be true. Two of the most disfunctional Americans, who couldn't stay at one college, can't hold down a steady job and continue to lie to the American people on a daily basis.

17. Doug Hughes profile image61
    Doug Hughesposted 13 years ago

Implicit in the OP is the suggestion that since the administration did change dirction AFTER the disasterous spill, that proves they made a mistake and can not ever be trusted.

Infalability is the MINIMUM requirement for public office now.  What the change in policy shows is that this administration is capable of ADAPTING - as opposed to operating in denial of obvious facts. This is not a weakness - it's a strength.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)