Dan Barfield profile image 87

Is it possible to change or better oneself?

Through personal experience, I feel I have in some ways changed a great deal over the years, especially in my beliefs. Have you changed a deep part of yourself through choice?

Lady Wordsmith profile image80

Linda Rawlinson (Lady Wordsmith) says

TIMETRAVELER2 profile image93

TIMETRAVELER2 says

• Dan Barfield profile image

Dan Barfield 4 years ago

Absolutely right! We can never cross the same river twice, and we are never the same as we were prior to an experience. However, there is a difference between passive change and concious change. Have you experienced concious change?

cjpooja26 profile image73

Sakhi Deshmukh (cjpooja26) says

• Dan Barfield profile image

Dan Barfield 4 years ago

Exactly! Take steps... In other words take action!

Neinahpets profile image90

Stephanie (Neinahpets) says

• Dan Barfield profile image

Dan Barfield 4 years ago

You talk about God like he is on the outside looking in. Of course we have choice - a holy man once said 'we have the freedom to be in bondage'. It is us who choose slavery, our freedom is in letting go.

pstraubie48 profile image90

Patricia Scott (pstraubie48) says

• Dan Barfield profile image

Dan Barfield 4 years ago

I agree with you totally - so long as we do not abdicate responsibility for our own choices then we can choose who it is that we are and to a lesser extent, we can choose what kind of world we live in.

Emanate Presence profile image85

Gary R. Smith (Emanate Presence) says

• Dan Barfield profile image

Dan Barfield 4 years ago

Excellent joke! :)

As to looking at ones beliefs... doing what you suggest is exactly what my 'Importance of philosophising' hub is about. I have done (and am in the process of doing) the very same thing :)

Tusitala Tom profile image90

Tom Ware (Tusitala Tom) says

• TerryK81 profile image

Terry A. Kennedy (TerryK81) 4 years ago

Bingo! Life is about living, growing, learning, experiencing, and giving. No one is meant to live to themselves. That sucks!

Highvoltagewriter profile image87

William Benner (Highvoltagewriter) says

• Dan Barfield profile image

Dan Barfield 4 years ago

Life is a constant state of flux - I agree. The trick I think is in steering the change.

IDONO profile image83

IDONO says

• Dan Barfield profile image

Dan Barfield 4 years ago

Very good point IDONO! It does often seem that most people find making a change difficult because to move forwards they must confront things about themselves that they would rather not face. It is far easier to live in the comfort zone forever.

dksuttle profile image80

Donna Suttle (dksuttle) says

TerryK81 profile image59

Terry A. Kennedy (TerryK81) says

• Emanate Presence profile image

Gary R. Smith (Emanate Presence) 4 years ago

You have written something beautiful and from the heart. It is real for you, in this moment, and what else is there? Not only is your writing well-received, it is appreciated for its even tone and deeper understanding. May your path be a joy to you.

ladylucknotso profile image60

ladylucknotso says

• Dan Barfield profile image

Dan Barfield 4 years ago

That is a wonderful feeling isn't it! Acknowledgement for positive change in someone - even if they hadn't conciously been aware of the change taking place - is a marvelous gift for anyone to receive or give.

tstrong773 says

• Dan Barfield profile image

Dan Barfield 4 years ago

I agree that society is never the place to look for an idea of happiness or success. The media tends to link money and material gain with happiness and success, and that is quite a shallow view. To find our goals, we should look within.

rabadiya profile image60

RAJAN RABADIYA (rabadiya) says

wqaindia profile image60

Ashok Goyal (wqaindia) says

• Dan Barfield profile image

Dan Barfield 4 years ago

Speaking the truth can be a game changer - I agree. One of the most successful decisions in my life was not to give or take any bullshit. I try never to put on a 'front' - it is a lot less tiring to just be me, warts'n'all. :)

dghbrh profile image66

deergha (dghbrh) says

• Dan Barfield profile image

Dan Barfield 4 years ago

I have gone through a fair amount of internal change myself - and I have taken control of that change. It is incredibly empowring to know that we are each our own projects. We can mould oursleves and our lives as we so choose if only we put the work

Cordelia Bay profile image60

Cordelia Bay says

• Dan Barfield profile image

Dan Barfield 4 years ago

Insightful words Cordelia! - this reminded me of a quote: 'He who conquers others is strong; He who conquers himself is mighty' (Lao Tzu)