Can one live a moral life without religion?

Jump to Last Post 101-147 of 147 discussions (148 posts)
  1. Karle profile image60
    Karleposted 12 years ago

Definitely. As a whole I believe we are all smart enough to develop our own morals and beliefs and not rely on a religion to tell us what our morals should be!

2. penelopae profile image63
    penelopaeposted 12 years ago

Yes, but not without God, or some sense of spirituality.

3. Sunil Gautam profile image61
    Sunil Gautamposted 12 years ago

According to my view, most of the people may not live a moral life without religion.But, some could live by following the path of HUMANITY it as their religion.

4. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 12 years ago

Yes.  And I believe God will judge you by whatever standard you choose - whether it's a religion or not.  Which is why I choose grace.  I can't measure up to the standards of any religion even living a moral life.

5. mirza shahzad profile image60
    mirza shahzadposted 12 years ago

I don't think so. The religion gives a code of conduct which one must follow for better standards of Morality. On the other hand we have Nature. Our actions should not be against natural Laws. I cannot live moral without religion and without Natural Law. I need the both.

6. autumn18 profile image59
    autumn18posted 12 years ago

I fully believe that a person can live morally without religion. I see it all the time and I've also seen religious people show some very immoral behavior.

7. cheatlierepeat profile image83
    cheatlierepeatposted 12 years ago

Yes! I grew up in a very religious family which gave me a very strong view on "practicing" religion. Without getting into the whole twisted view I will say it boils down to, for me, what's in a persons heart. I've know people who attend church on a regular basis but aren't very moral people and I also know people who don't practice religion who are angels on earth.

8. smilingjimdickson profile image60
    smilingjimdicksonposted 12 years ago

I do not believe in god, never have done. Does that make me immoral, I certainly hope not. I live my life trying to be helpful, looking after my fellow man, ensuring that those around me come to no harm and I do it honestly. Strange question!!!

9. eye say profile image71
    eye sayposted 12 years ago

I believe so.

If a child feels safe, is loved, shown kindness, and respect, they will have the ability to do the same with or without religion; that is learned behavior.

I believe at our core, the inner most side of our actual self, we know and believe the very basic life principle which is, in simplest terms, treat others the way you want to be treated.

If we can live by this standard we can be nothing but moral. No one wants to be hurt physically, mentally or emotionally. Everyone wants help if they need it and be free to ask. Helping people transmits a wonderful energy that is contagious and we would spend our time giving more if not for societal pressures.

I believe that many of the immoral actions and communications of adults are a result of children, not being given enough love, kindness, respect or security. I also believe that we live in a society that targets distracting the population so the masses will be neglectful, be lazy, not want to be educated, not have time to take care of their families properly, will forget what true love, intimate love is. The combination of the media targeting and the lack of attention in the home is deadly.

I do believe the pendulum is swinging back to a more moral society with or without religion.

The young people I have talked to in my world although come across as "cool", when you talk to them one on one, are very down to earth and have good morals and judgment.

I also believe that the fact that there are so many divorced parents that a lot of kids want to be careful and not rush into anything that resembles a serious relationship until they are older and very ready.

that's my 2 cents ... good question btw

Which brings us back to the original question and my answer is yes.

10. Brian Weekes profile image60
    Brian Weekesposted 12 years ago

Yes I believe that you can have a moral live without religion. And I say that even though I believe in God. I have met a lot of non-religious people who are very active in the community and have strong ethics. There is a myth in the world that all religious people are weak and need a crutch. Thats baloney. I have met some very strong people who believe in God and I have also met some weak people who don't. (and vice-versa). Most religions are about a lot more than just morality though.

11. xethonxq profile image67
    xethonxqposted 12 years ago

I completely believe someone can have a moral life without religion. Religion can help shape morality, but religion is not the be all, end all on creating or maintaining morality. Ultimately morality comes from within after one experiences all sorts of life lessions...from many different areas.

12. Spencer Camus profile image59
    Spencer Camusposted 12 years ago

I once had a debate about this. Only light hearted, mind.

I claimed you could live a moral life without religion. I really can't see how this isn't possible.

The argument put  to me, that I couldn't argue around, was that having been brought up in a country with centuries of Christian relgious roots and culture, the moral code I employed, whilst not necessarily religious in itself, was a moral code inherently Christian in its nature.

I can see the sense in this, and I suspect it could hold true for many non-religious people from other countries and cultures.

13. shadowprancer profile image60
    shadowprancerposted 12 years ago

I have never attended church, nor do I believe in any specific religion and I have led a moral life. Often people are surprised when I tell them I am not religious. In fact it offends me when they are surprised because they tell me that they assume anyone who does not follow a religion is an immoral and 'bad' person, something that I am not. The assumption that anyone who is not religious is an immoral person is yet another stereotype.

14. Philanthropy2012 profile image83
    Philanthropy2012posted 12 years ago

A lot of people will argue that a far more moral life will be lived without religion!

15. profile image54
    firesisleposted 12 years ago

Morality is more closely connected to spiritual beliefs than to religion itself.  Buddhism is a philosophy and a lifestyle, but not a religion, yet it promotes ethical, moral behavior, and respect for all things. 

Religion, any religion, is basically a template for spiritual growth, based on preconceived rules and beliefs, many of which may be unrelated to morality itself, and centered more on faith.

In the end, a moral life only requires that a person know what is right and what is wrong, and act accordingly...

16. liftandsoar profile image60
    liftandsoarposted 12 years ago

Yes and no.  The Scriptures teach that God's grace enables all human beings to do good things despite their natural bent toward evil.  It rains on the just and the unjust.  So, yes, I'm grateful I don't have to check a doctor's spiritual credentials before allowing him to operate on my body or my broker's religious convictions before entrusting him with my money.

On the other hand, morality never got anyone into favor with God. "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."  And in another place, "Whatever is not of or from faith is sin."  The point is that God looks at the heart and finds us all wanting.

There was a young vip who came to Jesus asking what good thing he could do to win God's favor.  Jesus asked if he'd kept all the commandments.  The man answered that he'd kept them all from his youth.  "Well then," said Jesus, "go sell all your goods, give to the poor and come follow me." We're told the man went away sad.  Jesus had exposed that all his morality had been self-serving rather than form faith... and thus it was sin.

17. Ramsa1 profile image62
    Ramsa1posted 12 years ago

Religions were invented to control people. One does not need religion to lead a moral, good, and decent life. Many "religious" people have done truly horrible things.

18. rajan jolly profile image91
    rajan jollyposted 12 years ago

Never thought of this way. I have always believed in religion ever since I understood what it said and stood for. So I guess I would say religion teaches us to lead a life with morals

19. Brian Burton profile image61
    Brian Burtonposted 12 years ago

One of the most moral people I ever knew was not religious at all.  By all accounts, he did right by everyone.  Was so moral in fact, he carried this to the point of never breaking any laws.  Not even speeding.  We couldn't stand to ride in the car with him because when the speed limit said 55, this guy would drive no more than 55.

He was great to his kids, wife, friends, and employees.  Just an honest and simple man.

Although, maybe his religion was his morals?

Great question.

20. limocars profile image58
    limocarsposted 12 years ago

Yes one can live a life,but not a moral life. Without religion life is like a animal without cage or chain.

21. profile image0
    MP50posted 12 years ago

I do believe Jesus is who he claims to be.

I am not religious.

I do not believe in the commercial Church, nor the Commercial Bible.

I just believe in Jesus.

Love, Peace and Harmony to all.

MP50.

22. profile image35
    LORD ENKIposted 12 years ago

Absolutly YES.Religon organizes a belief system.Religon is great if one wants to controll the masses and don't forget the almighty dollar.Just look how much money the catholic church is worth!Most of all MORE PEOPLE HAVE DIED IN THE NAME OF GOD THAN ANY OTHER CAUSE SINCE WE WROTE HISTORY!LAST the golden rule if truly applied.Do unto others as you would have them do unto you is the best most rewarding and fulfilling life you could ever have.YOU DON'T NEED RELIGON!!!

23. bearstate profile image59
    bearstateposted 12 years ago

Yes, but you'll find that many of our "morals" are based on old vestiges of religions, even if the person themselves is NOT religious.

24. Borsia profile image40
    Borsiaposted 12 years ago

There is really no connection between the two.
    The most moral people I have known in my life have been atheists, including some Buddhist who are atheistic.
    If you read the Bible the Christan god wasn't particularly moral.
    It condoned and if fact practiced slavery, adultery, murder, blood sacrifice, and robbery among other things.
    Religions are all about power and wealth. They seek to control others with words and if that falls short with swords. Nothing moral there.
    Consider that atheists are moral because it is the right thing to do. Religions push their morals solely as a means of control and to garner wealth and fame.
    Oh now I see that this is an old post, don't know why such old questions pop up in new searches but having already typed this I will post it to avoid wasting cyber ink.

25. profile image49
    mintimoposted 12 years ago

Of course someone can live a moral life without religion. Just because some people were raised to do right by others and be respectful and things of that nature doesn't mean they are obligated to have some sort of religious belief system. Some people can have morals just because they feel its the right thing to do and not worship anything because they are logically against it. Morals and religion in most cases do go hand in hand but there are some people who can live righteously and have morals without believing in any religious system.

26. Pikachusif profile image61
    Pikachusifposted 12 years ago

Of course. There's really not much else to be said about this. Many influential and important people in history have had no religion at all, and as an atheist myself, I would greatly disagree with the fact that you're a bad person if you have no religion.

-'Nuff said, Pikachusif

27. flowmeter profile image60
    flowmeterposted 12 years ago

Yes for sure they can. They can follow all the best things they see in others and reject the worst things.

28. cherriefic profile image68
    cherrieficposted 12 years ago

Living a moral life is not always about having a religion. There are many people who are active with their religion can be qualified as immoral. It always depends on you if you will lead a moral life or go in a different direction.

29. auge profile image60
    augeposted 12 years ago

Religion is one of the main sources to teach people morality and to control them. In my opinion, religions are very precisely created money - poeple control machines. If a person is tought about morality in other ways, not religion, but with examples, it is ok. But that is not so easy, becouse believing in something is in our blood and it is the best way to live a moral life.

30. thecoffeewrite profile image70
    thecoffeewriteposted 12 years ago

Yes. We are spiritual beings religious by nature. Since the term is defined as something we do regularly, being religious has less value than being spiritual or moral

31. platinumOwl4 profile image71
    platinumOwl4posted 12 years ago

yes, it is very possible to live a moral life without religion. All you have to do is look around. Everywhere you look there is someone speaking about religion. The world is a war and for what? because some people think their religious order is superior to someone else's. Yet, it they would take the time and do some research a great discovery will cause them to re-think their ideology. We are surrounded by  so-called religious and observed the level of crime from the lowest to the highest social level of society. If they are religious I would not adhere to this type of religion of degeneration.

32. profile image0
    writeronlineposted 12 years ago

Of course. You only have to look at the truth of the converse , (an immoral life, although religious) to see that morality and religion have no cause and effect functionality.

33. CZCZCZ profile image89
    CZCZCZposted 12 years ago

Sure someone can be morally right and lacking a belief in a religious deity.  Being a good person, acting each and every day with good morals is not synonymous with being a follower of a religion.  Historically there have been morally good relgious people and non religious people just as there has been hideous poor morals religious people as well as evil non religious people.  The belief in a specific deity does not inherently make a person good or evil it just means they believe in something that is unseen.

34. okno profile image64
    oknoposted 12 years ago

it is possible but the durability is the problem. Again is better for your moral life lead you to eternal life

35. ajuvr profile image60
    ajuvrposted 12 years ago

what is moral by one religion is taken immoral by man of different religion ; gone into human brain block.Do away with abusive ethnicity , territory and religion.
    http://causeunique.weebly.com

36. ehow101 profile image38
    ehow101posted 12 years ago

you don't have to belong to any religion to lead a moralic and good life. If you have personal values and always try to act good you can definitely be a great person without any religion.

37. techfreakworld profile image59
    techfreakworldposted 12 years ago

I think he can if he got the humanities instead of religion.

38. bharmoriat profile image44
    bharmoriatposted 12 years ago

of course , one can live a moral life without religion
    morality has nothing to do with religion. morality is all about being a good person. religion can be a motivator at best. in fact it seems like religion was created to make people moral (fear of god and the lure of heavens). but if we search , we will find many immoral people hinding behind religion. the strict orthodox punishments in the name of god can never be justified on moral grounds.

39. Jaggedfrost profile image61
    Jaggedfrostposted 12 years ago

Lol asking children the riddles of the ages. Could the works of the moral be accomplished  by the irreligious? Why not? But why are the moral, moral? Is it not thier view of life, death, and god as they know him or her? If one has no higher power to look to will they feel so motivated? Probably not. In addled utopia maybe. Seeing men and women as they are and as they have been for the last six thousand years of recorded history, which springs forth a plethora of evidence, it is counter to human nature to behave as those with firm religious mind sets if they are isolated from those having such thought.

40. Tabiee profile image61
    Tabieeposted 12 years ago

Probably not! Without religion you are just an animal outta cage. The one who created this world can suggest best ways of living and that's what religion is! So I think those Nations which are going away from religion, you can see their moral decline..

41. Anesthesiologist profile image59
    Anesthesiologistposted 12 years ago

Yes. Some of the most humanitarian minded people in the world are not religious.

42. fred allen profile image60
    fred allenposted 12 years ago

I've read a number of replies to this question and have a question of my own. What is morality? Who establishes it? For some it is completely within their moral boundries to do many things that others would consider immoral. Without an absolute standard who can say with complete authority one standard is correct while another is not? The real question is "Can there truly be an absolute moral standard without invoking a divine authority?" Without this divine authority morality becomes a matter of relativism.

43. Sottway profile image67
    Sottwayposted 12 years ago

I certainly believe so!

I believe that religion is just an abstract of our imagination, it was created by us for us which is one of the most important creations of mankind (other than language)!

Also, I do believe that without religion we'd collectively be worse off than we are now - but we raise morals through what our peers deem as what we should or shouldn't do and we relate to it.

I don't think we need religion for a moral life, but it helps

44. hubber088 profile image60
    hubber088posted 12 years ago

Yes you can. Even though I myself am religious, I still believe you can live a moral life without religion. My grandfather is a great example of this. I don't know if he has ever told a lie in his life and he is an atheist or agnostic; I don't know which. He lives his life by a code in which he created I guess through life experiences and thinking. Religion is a tool to help us live a moral life and if you can live a moral life without religion I still feel like you are a good person.

45. MrUnderhill profile image61
    MrUnderhillposted 12 years ago

yes. A better question would be: "Is possible to moral and religious?"

46. profile image52
    Norine Williamsposted 9 years ago

Yes!  Probably more than one who is "religious," because "religion" has been established by "men" not filled with the Holy Spirit!  Morals and values have nothing to do with Christianity!  Christianity is a "believer" of the "truth" in Jesus' Doctrine and not what man has interpreted it to be! If one has been raised in an environment and was taught kindness, treating everyone the way they want to be treated, not to lie, live by society's rules, etc., they are probably a lot moral than those who proclaim "religion!"

47. Gyanendra Mocktan profile image81
    Gyanendra Mocktanposted 7 years ago

Yes, I'm trying to live a moral life without religion? During these past five years, I've been trying to rediscover myself.  Thank you. Yes, I can understand life without region is very painful. But I have found out that it is possible. Thank you.

1. profile image52
      Norine Williamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Keep searching!  You'll eventually find out who your CREATOR is! 
      There's NO OTHER WAY for we must ALL go back to THE SPIRIT from whence we came!
      Death is inevitable!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)