What is God to you ?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (21 posts)
  1. litsabd profile image64
    litsabdposted 12 years ago

What is God to you ?

I remember since childhood that some used to tell me to be good cause God would punish me. That I should abide by His rules else something terrible would happen to me or someone I loved.
    I always thought that He is a caring Father , though and that His love and protection can guide me through life.
    Wondering what your heart feels for Him...

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5854847_f260.jpg

2. lorenmurcia profile image87
    lorenmurciaposted 12 years ago

He is everything, I turn to Him in times of trouble and thank Him when I receive graces. For me, He is the embodiment of what is good and divine.

3. twobmad profile image60
    twobmadposted 12 years ago

To me, God is loving. I would never begin by describing God as a punisher because he in my experience cannot be one. When the whole book of the Bible is read as one book, one can also find the many aspects of God's loving, caring, being gracious to sinners. Particularly, in the four gospels, it is crystal clear that God cares and ministers the marginalized. But in the Old Testament, there are many parts where God would intervene for the sake of Israelite. It is because God would like to model his own chosen people and keep the covenant he made with Abraham. But if Gen. 12:1-4 is read carefully, choosing the Israelite is for all nations to see the blessings from God through the chosen nation. Now, in this age, those laws may apply to us. it may not necessary be literally but principally.

4. Rastamermaid profile image66
    Rastamermaidposted 12 years ago

First and foremost God will mean different things to different people,to me HE is what keeps me grounded,humble and true.

We all know right from wrong,but what we chose to do is totally on you. I feel it is HE that keeps me straight and on the right path.

I'm just glad I know HIM!!

5. NiaLee profile image60
    NiaLeeposted 12 years ago

God is so much for me that I see no limit to his message and messages. I can really describe it by not describing it, it would set limit that don't exist.

6. craftybegonia profile image59
    craftybegoniaposted 12 years ago

A Father and a Friend. Also a wonderful source of comfort and guidance when His little girl cannot find her way around.

7. mathira profile image79
    mathiraposted 12 years ago

God is my friend and my anchor. He has created a new 'me' when I was shattered by the death of my husband.When I am worried he comes to my rescue, when I have problems, he lends a warm shoulder.

8. ivantsoft profile image61
    ivantsoftposted 12 years ago

God is love. God is world around us. God is you and me.

9. romari profile image56
    romariposted 12 years ago

God is my King and He rules over my life..He is my everything..

10. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 12 years ago

He is someone

- Who is there when I need help
    - Who is there to listen my prayers
    - Who is there to give me strength in my daily life
    - Who is there when everything else fails to pull me up
    - Who is there to help me with my heartache
    - Who is there to help me recover from sickness

He is always there for me in my entire life.

11. zzron profile image58
    zzronposted 12 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/4993196_f260.jpg

To me, God is the creator of all things and knows all.

12. imkd profile image59
    imkdposted 12 years ago

if you believe in God then he is otherwise not. I believe and i think whenever i get help or sign from anywhere around you that is god for me.

13. haikutwinkle profile image60
    haikutwinkleposted 12 years ago

He is a blessing and I feel blessed wink
    What goes around comes around. This theory has been proven many times. If you do good, good will come to you and vice versa.

14. CloudExplorer profile image77
    CloudExplorerposted 12 years ago

God is infinitely bounded to everything & everything to God, we are all inseparable from this universal truth also known as Love. 

The best way to thing of it is, looking at the smallest thing imaginable, and realizing it has no end in sight due to its existence because of being created by this infinite connection to God. 

God equates to All of everything & without this infinite love known as God nothing would exist.

15. emichael profile image62
    emichaelposted 12 years ago

According to Christianity, since the sacrifice of Jesus, God is no longer in the business of punishment. Discipline, yes. But targeted punishment as the result of specific sins? Absolutely not.

So, people who tell you God will punish you for sin are not telling the whole story. God will only punish unbelief.

God is a father. In that role he loves, disciplines, guides, and longs for our returned love, obedience, and respect.

But God is who He is irrespective of what you or I believe. We either believe correctly or we don't.

16. Robert Erich profile image74
    Robert Erichposted 12 years ago

God is the one who provides me with life, love, and a purpose to share with others.

17. jainismus profile image72
    jainismusposted 12 years ago

I do not believe in God, so God is nothing to me. I am good man without believing in God.

18. Cresentmoon2007 profile image65
    Cresentmoon2007posted 12 years ago

Well I am a christo-pagan so I believe in a feminine and male aspect. In either case I do find it difficult to believe of a God or even a Goddess who would be so cruel. I was raised in a real strict christian environment where basically a lot of different things are considered sins and were wrong. However I personally felt that certain things could not be wrong. And I personally felt that if God created us how could he dislike us so much?

19. Craig Suits profile image63
    Craig Suitsposted 12 years ago

This is a small paragraph of one of my hubs called "A Realistic Anaylisis Of Humanities Religious Insanity."

We must come to understand our weapons of today are capable of annihilating all life on earth for the very first time in history and that yesterday was the time to change our ancient ways or face certain extinction by our very own hateful hand. It is absolutely critical that we realize religious secularism is, and always has been the number one root cause of mankind's continued destruction of himself and all he survey’s. In this book, I intend to prove just that.

The entire hub is the preface of a 711 page book I wrote a few years ago. All of you people that have commented below so far need to read it except Old Empresario.

No one on the planet knows if there is a god or not, you just think you do because you need to, and that's what you were taught throughout your adolescents.

Building a bridge? Teaching a child math? absolutly every endevor we humans do no matter what language you speak or where your from, you require "proof" don't you? Everything except religion that is....WHY?

That's an easy question. There isn't any proof. Nada, zip, nothing. Yet you still believe dont you? Enough to send your children off to war to get their heads blow off don't you...WHY?

Ok, believing is up to you and personally I could care less what you believed in the past 20 thousand years. You've had countless religious wars and murdered billions of your own children and destroyed more human accomplishments  than anyone could possibly count. You've put human progress back thousands of years but so what. More humans are born, and cities are rebuilt like it's always been. right? And if you read your history books instead of your fairy tale scriptures you easily discover that 95% of all wars ever fought, were fought by opposing religious groups. Just like it is today with the big one being Allah vs Jesus.

Well it can't be that way any more my friends because in the last 50 years or so, we've developed pathogens and nuclear devices that can destroy our entire species in a matter of a few days. These weapons of mass destruction are only going to get more efficient as time passes and your religious beliefs arent going to help any of you one lousy bit just as they haven't helped any of you in the past.

The root cause of war is what needs to be eliminated and that simply put is organized religion. We even have nut cases today that want to die in the process of killing as many of you as they can.

I ask you: How long will it be before one of these certifiably insane morons pulls the cork on a test tube full of smallpox and kills most of us in days. Read "Up One Level" and do what you can. That's all I ask. I've got children in this world and so do most of you. We'd all like them to have a safe, happy, and most of all, full life. Unless we stop this religious insanity now. We're ALL dead. It's that simple...

20. rLcasaLme profile image69
    rLcasaLmeposted 12 years ago

God to me is The Creator, my Father, and my Savior. God does not want people to do good out of fear, He wants people to do good out of gratitude and love, just as you'd want be done unto you.
    I usually didn't appreciate what people meant by His love, but, now I do, and it's a very very humbling and pride-killing experience. It was the day of my contrition and I won't forget it.

21. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 12 years ago

God is love.

All of the talk of "punishment" and "damnation" (what I heard too often in my Southern Baptist minister grandfather's church) is only the result of our own actions colliding with God's creation. If you step off a tall building, you collide with the pavement with the help of gravity (both God's creation). If you avoid spiritual salvation, then you will be stuck in physical reality.

God is the source of all. All power comes from Him. I have seen many miracles that blast the heck out of science, statistics and natural law. Each time, I felt the loving embrace of the Heavenly Father.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)