Do we have to hide in the closet about our beliefs today? It sure feels like it!

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Rodric29 profile image81
    Rodric29posted 6 years ago

Do we have to hide in the closet about our beliefs today? It sure feels like it!

2. msorensson profile image71
    msorenssonposted 6 years ago

To have a belief or faith, is perfectly fine..it is to try to preach it and to convince others about it that bothers you..
    Faith, perfected, requires no one else but the one who has it...............

Rodric29posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Msorensson, thanks for posting and voted up. I think that your comment is European idea--that beliefs are personal. It is starting to be more accepted in America but not yet. We still wear our beliefs on our sleeves as of yet.

3. Doc Snow profile image93
    Doc Snowposted 6 years ago

I'm not sure what your beliefs are, Rod--guess you're into that closet--but a lot of people are pretty up-front with theirs--pushy, even.  It doesn't seem to cause them any trouble.

Hi Doc Snow. I voted it up. I am definitely not closeted. I am a Mormon. I am one of those "pushy" types. Some people feel they have to hide their faith. I am sure many Americans who were Islamics may have felt this way in recent times.

4. profile image74
    owurakwasipposted 6 years ago

If you do believe in God then you do not have to hide anything. Do not let your feelings get the best of you; do not let them conquer you. You can change your attitude on anything in life and your feelings will follow suit.

Thanks for answering. I posed this question to start discussion. I am not in the closet about my faith. I am a Mormon and I believe in Jesus Christ. I do believe that people would prefer me to be a closet Mormon though.

5. phillippeengel profile image75
    phillippeengelposted 6 years ago

Preaching may be perceived as a personal insult, especially when the person you are preaching to is already ingrained in his/her own belief and spurned to believe others.

Thanks for commenting and voted up. I agree that more and more people may feel that way. It is okay too. This is the right of all people to believe as they please. Some of us believe that we have to spread our beliefs and that is okay too.

6. edhan profile image60
    edhanposted 6 years ago

I have open discussion with friends who brought up the topic. I am neutral with all religions.

The clear fact about religion is teaching us to love one another and giving respect for each others. Therefore, it does not really matter what religion you believe in as it is for the good of mankind.

Edhan, thanks for that insightful answer and voted up. I voted up a lot of answers. I do agree with you a little. I think your religion can skew your view of what is good for mankind. Take the Extremists of religion, they kill to show their faith.

7. nightwork4 profile image59
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

in a lot of cases we do. i own a construction company and if i was to let everyone know i was an atheist, i would be out of business in a year. it is absurd but such is life.

Now this is what I am talking about. You cannot express you faith due to other's prejudice. You choose not to believe, which is a faith in itself, and you must guard it to feel comfortable in society. You must live in the Southeast!

8. lone77star profile image83
    lone77starposted 6 years ago

It certainly is more "dangerous" to display your beliefs. Ego abounds.

A generation ago, love of God and Christ were common things to see at football games. Now, Tebow gets ridiculed.

I saw a picture recently of early American astronauts sitting around a table, praying prior to their upcoming space mission. Now, there's no room for such things.

But love of God should be displayed often, not for our own sakes, but for merely showing by example how one can live their life in harmony with the source of all.

9. CR Rookwood profile image81
    CR Rookwoodposted 6 years ago

In America, especially since the internet has taken off in such a big way, it seems like ridicule is the main mode of communication about almost everything. It didn't used to be this way though. When I was growing up, polite people were more private about their religious and political beliefs and that was respected.

Today, I've had people of all persuasions demand right off the bat for me to state my religious perspective or lack of it and defend it. That's so rude. I started to just say things like, "That's very private. Why do you ask?" Most people get very uncomfortable then and back off--if it happens in person. On the net, all bets are off.

I think there's a BIG difference between secrecy and privacy. Keeping some things about yourself private is normal and makes for easier social relations. Secrets harm, privacy can help.

10. IDONO profile image81
    IDONOposted 6 years ago

Beliefs can be expressed if the time, place and company is appropriate. If not, you can be labeled as a martyr or radical. You will miss your point.
         Also, airing your beliefs doesn't mean shoving them down someones throat or telling them they are wrong if they don't see things your way. You have to be able to handle rejection because it will happen.
         Some beliefs are hidden because society can be a very unfair place. Others are hidden because the person is ashamed of their belief such as superstitions, phobias, or even being gay. This person has to decide how important this belief is to them before deciding whether to express it or not.

11. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 6 years ago

I am a Catholic. I am no in the closet. I do get tired to trying to correct misconceptions that people have about the Catholic Church. I was raised as a Baptist and converted about 21 years ago, or eight years after my Catholic wife and I was married. I did not rush into the conversion. I can say I am a better Catholic than I was a Baptist.

There are practices and beliefs in the Catholic church that are not understood by people of other faiths--and the opposite is also true. However, there is so much common ground among the Christian faiths that it seems someone petty to argue about the differences.

12. Georgie Lowery profile image93
    Georgie Loweryposted 6 years ago

I used to believe that I couldn't talk about my beliefs. Being agnostic/atheist is a difficult thing, and there is definitely a stigma attached to it. Most people will refuse to admit that they don't believe because religious people are so prejudiced against us. If someone isn't trying to convert me to their religion, they're assuming I'm a Satan worshiper or I eat babies for breakfast. When I tell someone after I've known them for some time, they are usually surprised. I get 'but you're so... nice!' I guess atheists represent the anti-Christ to the faithful. Like you can 'catch' atheism, or something. I read a poll once where people voted on which group they trust the least, and atheists were right at the top, ahead of politicians and child molesters. That made me sad.

13. SidKemp profile image91
    SidKempposted 6 years ago

For those of us who live in countries with freedom of speech, it is much more about how we express ourselves, and when, where, and to whom, than about hiding in the closet. Even people with views that very few accept (I've got a lot of those) can learn to listen first and speak in a loving and respectful way, and receiving a loving and respectful greeting in return.

Of course, there are those who will always be negative. But does their response matter?

There are many places in the world today where people can punished or imprisoned for their beliefs. Do you live in such a place? If not, are you grateful for that?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)