Who's your favorite hero?

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (67 posts)
  1. Super Lux profile image60
    Super Luxposted 12 years ago

Who's your favorite hero?

name one person you know personally or don't but have always admired and wanted to emulate.

2. Marsei profile image91
    Marseiposted 12 years ago

Owen Meany.  Although he's fictional, I have always admired his rescue of the schoolchildren and wanted to emulate him in every way.  Everyone should read "A Prayer for Owen Meany."

Super Luxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

i will definitely get a copy. thanks for sharing.

3. KevinTimothy profile image74
    KevinTimothyposted 12 years ago

I will have to proudly say, Jesus Christ.

1. josh3418 profile image69
      josh3418posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Great answer!

2. Super Lux profile image60

highly admired but sooooo hard to emulate. hehe. He is indeed the Hero of all heroes

4. endless sea profile image60
    endless seaposted 12 years ago

Naruto Uzumaki, he is a fictional character an anime I have been watching it for 8-9 years and I have always admired him smile

my brother likes him too. smile

5. gabgirl12 profile image59
    gabgirl12posted 12 years ago

I'm against organized religion in general, but I would have to say Jesus Christ. Not only was he a staunch opposer of hypocrisy but he also carried himself with authority. Ultimately he died not only for what he believed in but for the people he loved.

1. royalblkrose profile image61
      royalblkroseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Jesus wasn't a fan of religion either.... He was/is all about relationships.

wise choice gabgirl12

i agree with royalblkrose. that's something we should always remember.

6. jaredbangerter profile image74
    jaredbangerterposted 12 years ago

Without a doubt, Spawn.  Does he count as a hero though?

well, everyone's entitled to his own opinion. if he's your hero, no one will question that.

7. krillco profile image83
    krillcoposted 12 years ago

My Dad. Forward observer in Asian Theater, WWII, walking point through a jungle at age 18, seeing his friends die in the most horrible ways possible. Came home and became the gentlest, strongest man possible.

1. Marsei profile image91
      Marseiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This touched my heart.

his true character was never changed by the war.  such a hero indeed. happy for you to have a dad like him.

8. skgrao profile image67
    skgraoposted 12 years ago

I admire Bill Gates and he is a Hero to our Generation,however being Indian I like the one and only SWAMY Baba Ramdev for his efforts to bring in a change in India from the clutches of impotent old pot belly politicians who want all their children to be a member of some position in the govt to have protection from power that they fear.

1. jaredbangerter profile image74
      jaredbangerterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Gotta love how he wants mass depopulation. ;]

9. Gentle Fist profile image82
    Gentle Fistposted 12 years ago

"If I could be a Superhero, I would be Awesome Man. I'd fly around the world fighting crime. According to my Awesome Plan."...just joking, though this song is good and funny! If I had to name one, it would be Edward Elric from anime series Fullmetal Alchemist. Although being a fictional character, the story he takes part in is very deep and noble. I've been carrying a pocket watch for years because of him!

wow, he's such a great influence in you. i got curious. one of my FB buddies always post about fullmetal alchemist so i've heard of it before but i didn't know there's a character as such.

10. Dee aka Nonna profile image60
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 12 years ago

I will have to say two....I am sorry.  But the first is my mother for many reason; and, Mickey Mouse because he represents presistance and the never give up attitude his creator possessed.

you've got a unique choice Dee aka Nonna. i like that.

11. prasadjain profile image64
    prasadjainposted 12 years ago

Mahatma Gandhi -the father of India, and who showed the world a different way to fight against injustice.

1. Edwinoel Tanglao profile image59
      Edwinoel Tanglaoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I believe in the fight against injustice for Jesus is against all injustice, prasadjain.  I admire Mahatma Gandhi too for his selfless dedication of his life for freedom and against injustice.  I pray too that he is saved if his faith is in Jesus.

2. swordsbane profile image60
      swordsbaneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm a big fan of Ghandi, but remember; if the British had been Nazi's, Ghandi's movement would have failed.  Pacifism only works if your opponent dislikes killing more than he needs you killed.

12. youmeget profile image65
    youmegetposted 12 years ago

God! I've always wondered why he is so patient, despite he once destroyed the earth with flood. He's my role model in everything!

1. swordsbane profile image60
      swordsbaneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I hope not in EVERYTHING... You want to watch that killing anyone who doesn't believe the way you do... enforcing ethnic cleansing...  killing homosexuals and witches... infanticide and general mass destruction... you know... stuff like that.

13. ThussaysNanaMarie profile image59
    ThussaysNanaMarieposted 12 years ago

Mother Theresa for her unconditional love. Nelson Mandela for his unshakeable resolve. Lady Diana for her dedication to the causes she supported. There have been aspects of different people family and work acquaintances. My dad for his love of his people and rise from rags to riches, my mum for her tenacity in the face of discrimination, my brother for his love, drive and big heartedness, my step mum for her ability to love unconditionally. The list goes on.......

1. Edwinoel Tanglao profile image59
      Edwinoel Tanglaoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Amen to this ThussaysNanaMarie, if they all have received inspiration from Jesus, and the truth in his words.

you're blessed to have such wonderful family and be surrounded by great people.

14. tsmog profile image85
    tsmogposted 12 years ago

My friend Fred is one. Their are others. Fred is kinda' spectacular in different ways. There is a picture of him to the left. He will defend other birds from cats, much, much bigger than he. He always arrives when the sun rises to say "hi!" just like clockwork. Like other hero's he flies. But, he can go up or down, from side to side, stay in one spot, and even go diagonal.

When I sit at the desk too long typing a story, he knows just when to come up to the window and tell me to get the blank out for awhile. When a territorial male tries to take over a feeder, keeping the females from a their meal, he will buzzzz right in and put a stop to it. I've seen him take on a group of wasps a couple of times that tried to take over the orioles feeder. He kinda' whooped their tail ends.

I've heard tales that he posses spiritual powers too. Once when weeding the garden there was this one big weed. Just when I was about to pull he dive bombed me. I couldn't figure out why. Then when I looked a second time I realized it was a sunflower, which had grown apparently from bird seed tossed on the ground.

Yeah, for  now I will have to say Fred is my favorite hero. There is another, but I may write a hub on that person.

Thanks Super Lux for asking this question . . .

lucky you to have Fred smile

15. suzettenaples profile image89
    suzettenaplesposted 12 years ago

My father is my favorite hero.  He was always there for  my sister and I and we always knew we came first for him, along with my mom.  He was a gentle man but had great strength of character and moral strength.  He was a great teacher to us both and was always interested in whatever we were doing or were interested in.  He wasn''t a drinker, womanizer, gambler, quit smoking for my sister and I, and always taught by example.  I couldn't have asked for a better father.  I have always admired him and looked up to him and he was always my rock when I was growing up.  I was very fortunate to have a hero for a father!

1. Marsei profile image91
      Marseiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I found this touching.  Having had a father who was totally different from yours, I'm amazed that he gave up smoking for you.  You were fortunate, as you said.  Good for you to remember him this way.

you are so blessed suzettenaples smile

16. Edwinoel Tanglao profile image59
    Edwinoel Tanglaoposted 12 years ago

Jesus is the man, Super Lux, for he is 'the truth, the way and the life.' Believing in him and following him is greater than loving myself, for in doing this, I may help lead them to the truth in his words and to eternal bliss, which is far far longer and greater than this short and worldly life, where the real battle is against all evil.

And living with Christ and in Christ, may we all win the best reward of all, the elusive key to heaven.

amen to that Edwinoel Tanglao.

17. MarleneB profile image92
    MarleneBposted 12 years ago

I'm going to have to say Jesus is my hero. He fights the bad guys and saves me from the evil ones.

18. Daffy Duck profile image60
    Daffy Duckposted 12 years ago

Batman.

1. profile image0
      johnnymnemonicposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ahh..finally someone else who thinks like me! Thanks for this big smile on my face right now! smile

Unlike many superheroes, Bruce Wayne is just a man who suffers from all manly burdens : treachery, love, sorrow, responsibilities, physical limitations.

i used to like superman but when i saw this episode in justice league when everybody else fell asleep and batman was the only one left to save them, i've realized that super powers aren't everything.  intelligence is still undisputed. smile

19. mrshadyside1 profile image59
    mrshadyside1posted 12 years ago

My father.Although I may try I will never be able to emulate or duplicate the dynamic person my father was in life.He was unique in his level of clear fairness and temperateness.I am 40 years old and to this day if I chose I could ride the coattails of his memory within the community in which I grew up.Now that I am a grown man it is harder for me to understand how a man can balance himself as well as my father and how anyone can be so selfless and giving.Even on his death bed his only concerns were for my mother and myself and those who had come to rely on him.He is sorely missed by many.

you're so privileged to be a son of a great man.

20. The Stages Of ME profile image82
    The Stages Of MEposted 12 years ago

Well Jesus first and foremost because of all He did for me and my mom second because she modeled for me the mom I wanted to be and then of course my husband because he is just awesome smile

you're living the sweet life The Stages Of ME

21. baronhertzog profile image70
    baronhertzogposted 12 years ago

This is actually a pretty tough question. There is Jesus Christ, St. Augustine, an old theology teacher of mine named Dr. Marshall, and Glenn Beck in a way. Each one has something different I admire. However, right now I would say I most closely identify with St. Augustine.

hey baronhertzog, i am an Augustinian! thanks for reminding me that St. Augustine is someone to emulate too.

22. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

My mother was my hero until she passed away from Cancer on August 21,2010. She is the one I emulate; but she is and was very hard to mirror. She is what every woman should strive to become and no matter what she had gone through she always rose to the top with a smile on her face.

She was Compassionate, loving, caring, understanding and everyone's best friend.

1. ishwaryaa22 profile image80
      ishwaryaa22posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry to hear that your beloved mother had passed away. You are blessed with a beautiful mother who possessed many excellent qualities. Thank you for sharing with us about your mother and her unique traits.

your mother will live on in you.

23. Fullerman5000 profile image56
    Fullerman5000posted 12 years ago

in real life, Jesus Our Lord and Savior, and my father. Both have devoted their lives for others

Favorite fictional character is Batman. He is the definition of a hero. Using his fears to strike against his enemies.

batman is the "man" smile

24. Sushma Webber profile image71
    Sushma Webberposted 12 years ago

Helena Petrovna Blavatsky, one of the founders of the Theosophical Society.

25. ElderYoungMan profile image68
    ElderYoungManposted 12 years ago

Yahoshua Ha Maschiach.  The Son of the Most High.

26. somethgblue profile image71
    somethgblueposted 12 years ago

My father as he is a Warrior of the truth, he taught me to embrace integrity and to practice it at all times not just when it is convenient to do so.

a great father you have

27. josh3418 profile image69
    josh3418posted 12 years ago

Jesus Christ, because He is everything I want to become; my greatest role model!

He is the greatest indeed.

28. edhan profile image36
    edhanposted 12 years ago

God.

God is within me and my family. God has helped us through all obstacles of life and give us courage to overcome difficulties.

29. profile image0
    Jhudahposted 12 years ago

My Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.. He is mighty to save.

30. arb profile image77
    arbposted 12 years ago

Aside from the obvious impact that God may have upon a persons life, there is one person whom I admire most. It may sound trite, but, I've know it as I know the back of my hand. I've been married to her for 43 years. She has caused me the greatest self reflection and the profoundest reason to make changes. I know "about" many people, but, I know her and if she were the only one left on earth, what I know of her would suffice to see me through. If I were her equal, it would be improvement enough to face God in the end and say, " I'm far from what you want, but just look how damn far I came."

awww that is the sweetest i've heard.  so refreshing to know such love exist.  you're blessed to have a wife like her. but i'm betting she's also just as blessed to have a very appreciative and loving husband. hooray for love!

31. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

Anne Sullivan, teacher/companion of Hellen Keller.  It's not that I've ever particularly wanted to emulate her, because I'm not a big "emulator" as far as being who/what I am goes.  I have, though, admired her since I was a child because she had faith in Helen and found a way to prove that such faith in someone (even someone who seems like such a "hopeless case") can be more than well founded.  She figured out how to get through to a girl who couldn't see or hear AND to teach her how to read and write and talk.  I find that mind-boggling, and if there's one thing I admire in anyone, it's being someone who will "figure out" - not someone who "just accepts".

Maybe I admire Anne Sullivan more today than I did as a child, because these days it so often seems that so many people (whether that be people in government, people in education, parents, doctors, or "whoever else") seem so ready to give up on others too quickly.  Also, it can seem as if so few people (and people in positions where it matters) see the potential in individuals of all kinds, and instead just assume they're of less intelligence, strength, capability or character than they are.

Today we live in a time when too many people seem to think they're the only ones who are capable, intelligent and/or of good character; and who tend to think that "everyone else" is less capable, not intelligent, and of character that is more flawed than their own.  Self-fulfilling prophecies can happen, and I think too many people today can live in an isolation that could be said to be similar to what Helen Keller lived with (even though most of those people can see and hear and speak).  If more people saw in others what Anne Sullivan saw in her young student, there would be a lot less isolation and waste of potential in a lot more people today.

very well said Lisa HW.  we indeed need people like Anne Sullivan.  if there were more of her, it would have been a happier and better place.

2. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Super Lux, thanks.  (I just noticed that I typed two "l's" in Helen.  I don't know how to make a correction at this point, if it can be done at all; so I hope this comment acts as correction.)

32. DeanCash profile image60
    DeanCashposted 12 years ago

My son ask me about it too. I replied - Hulk or Green Lantern. Even though it can't be true I hope if I can be that hero I can scare off the bad guys so they won't attempt to do bad things.

33. daskittlez69 profile image78
    daskittlez69posted 12 years ago

Bruce Lee would have to be at the top of my list. He was way ahead of his time and had accomplished so much in such a little time.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)