jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (14 posts)

Do you pray or meditate?

1. soconfident profile image84
    soconfidentposted 5 years ago

Do you pray or meditate?

Some people find it to be more effective to meditate than to pray and vice vera

2. samnashy profile image81
    samnashyposted 5 years ago

Both, whatever feels right at the time.  I think my thoughts are going to the same place.  That 's what i feels like to me,

1. soconfident profile image84
      soconfidentposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I use to pray, but I found that meditation works best for me.

3. lone77star profile image84
    lone77starposted 5 years ago

I find that there is a great deal of overlap in the meaning of these -- prayer and meditation.

If ego is gone and confidence comes from the true self (immortal spirit, soul, Holy Ghost), within, then miracles occur.

Prayer, to me tends to be directed or purpose-driven. Meditation seems to be more neutral and ego-subduing. So, it might be that prayer is best done after meditation, so that ego doesn't muck up the works.

4. mikejhca profile image93
    mikejhcaposted 5 years ago

I meditate because it feels good and it is good for my health.  The relaxation techniques also help me relax at will.  For me the main focus is on becoming deeply relaxed.  I don't ask for things but sometimes I do some mental programming.

5. faisalb87 profile image41
    faisalb87posted 5 years ago

Both are good things and they helps us in our daily life.

6. watergeek profile image97
    watergeekposted 5 years ago

I do both too, but mostly meditation. For me the difference is in whether I'm putting out energy or receiving it. I pray for help and courage, I meditate for information and peace - not meaning the topics, as much as the purpose.

When I've really screwed up I'll sometimes drop to my knees and say, "Oh God, help me I blew it and I really need support." Emotional release is what I use it for.

Most of the time I'm fairly calm, so I meditate to put myself in that place where information flows easily - the universal data bank, so to speak. There are all kinds of ways to use it and I just wrote a hub that includes that info. Here it is:
    The Psychology of Flow
    http://watergeek.hubpages.com/hub/The-P … gy-of-Flow

7. bhargvi sharma profile image48
    bhargvi sharmaposted 5 years ago

I do Meditate & pray to attain peace of mind. Moreover Meditation keeps me mentally fit & helps in reducing my stress & depressions; pray gives me personal satisfaction & helps me in resolving my problems as it identifies me with my myself... smile

8. Crissylite profile image75
    Crissyliteposted 5 years ago

I do both. When I meditate, I clear my mind, do breathing exercises, and relax my body. I also mediate on scriptures or on the characteristics of my God; ie. love, merciful, holy. I feel peace and a good feeling all over me. And I talk to God/pray...not just asking for stuff.

9. penlady profile image59
    penladyposted 5 years ago

I do both. I have to in order to get through the day.

10. Civil War Bob profile image60
    Civil War Bobposted 5 years ago

Yes. They are not mutually exclusive.  I meditate on things that come to me and pray about things I want God to deal with in His time...casting all my cares on Him because He cares for me, as the Bible says.

11. Jaggedfrost profile image79
    Jaggedfrostposted 5 years ago

I have found that they work hand and hand but can be used beneficially either way. Meditation, as I understand it, is an internal searching.  It centers and brings one in wholeness.  The methods vary and some, I am told, kind of blur the lines between prayer and meditation.  Prayer on the other hand reaches out in a specific direction. 

One should meditate in order to pray because usually people on the whole have many things they want and desire to say at any given point of the day.  Many of those voices conflict.  Meditation brings one in to an awareness of what one really wishes to say so that the person meditating is able to reach out with one voice and also to consolidate and quiet the mind to hear the response to that question when it comes.

12. violetheaven profile image60
    violetheavenposted 5 years ago

I pray and meditate daily.   They are two not so different things.  When you meditate you concentrate on something.  Thats about it.   Many of the Eastern Guru's use different methods, such as breathing and visualization.  Often time there is a mantra or scripture thats concentrated on. When this mantra is spoken it becomes a meditational chant.   A Christian form of meditation is done with biblical scriptures and is used to relax and gain understanding of said scripture.   Meditation can take some time and practice to be affective.  Prayer is more like a letter or conversation to God, or the divine energy(s). Of course the goal and purpose of meditation and/or prayer greatly depends on the religious/spiritual perspective of the practitioner.  We all have our unique tastes and perspectives.  So whether you favor one over the other, both equally or, none at all will depend solely on your taste and perspective. Keep in mind that perspective tends to change overtime as life changes and we grow.  What we find to not be helpful today may be helpful with tomorrows circumstances.  Both prayers and meditation are tools to access peace and well being.

13. edhan profile image61
    edhanposted 5 years ago

Yes. I pray daily and meditate once a week.

I feel enlighten with my daily prayer as in connection of the higher spiritual being. It is like having conversation with my angel that is always taking care of my family and I.