Do you believe in the Mayan profecies? If you don't tell me why

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (26 posts)
  1. PoetasDsigns profile image59
    PoetasDsignsposted 11 years ago

Do you believe in the Mayan profecies? If you don't tell me why

I don't believe in those profecies I can explain why but first I need your opinion

2. profile image0
    Sri Tposted 11 years ago

Because time is an illusion. We imposed the clock on the world. Before we put the clocks on the world there was no measure. Only humans run their lives by calenders. It is merely a tool imposed on nature. Even when we say it's 365 days per year, it's still an illusion that we created. So those primitive calenders are also projections on the world as all calenders are. The most humble statement should be, no one knows when the world as we know it will end.

3. swordsbane profile image60
    swordsbaneposted 11 years ago

There are no "Mayan prophecies"  The Mayan calendar has to end sometime, and as Sri T says.  December 22, 2012 is when theirs does.  It's as simple as that.  The galactic center alignment came and went with no end of the world.  It's simply something that is.  It's very impressive that the Mayan calendar was as precise as it was, but that's pretty much all it was.  Bad things happen all the time. The idea that something bad happened the same year as the end of each of their long counts isn't remarkable.  Remarkable would have been if those were the only years where nothing bad happened.

What I'm waiting for is when the world doesn't end and we all wake up to an unremarkable day on December 23rd, 2012.. how long will it take for people to come up with another date for the end of the world and all sorts of silly reasons why the world didn't end on December 22nd..... but really will end.... just you wait...

1. howlermunkey profile image74
      howlermunkeyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There were prophecies associated with the calendar, http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/49224135/ns … -thinking/
      But there were also prophecies that go far beyond 2012.

4. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

No, I don't.  I don't believe because if one studies history, you will find all kinds of predictions and forecasts--that never came true.  Writers and  historians seem to focus on the few that did come true out of the thousands that have been recorded.  Mayans were no different.

5. Ericdierker profile image46
    Ericdierkerposted 11 years ago

Hope you do not mind a rather weird response. I believe that prophesies that have come true have a huge number of very faithful that 100% believed in them. Somehow it seems the prophets were a focal point of thoughtfulness and affection. If you have a huge strong interpersonal meditation and prayer for a certain event It is likely to happen. If some dude sitting on top of a pyramid just comes up with it (or a group of dudes) and pronounce it -- without people behind it, basically willing and asking for it to happen, it ain't going to. I call the mutuality of common prayer  - Love. A connection between us and a deity can use Love to make something occur.

So if I prophesy that the sun shall rise tomorrow or a million tomorrows and then cease to rise. That is a prophesy. Accurate - not in my lifetime.

1. d.william profile image73
      d.williamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

the laws of probability dictate that prayer for something likely to happen will eventually prove your point when it finally does.   And it will, sooner or later.

6. d.william profile image73
    d.williamposted 11 years ago

I do not believe in these doomsday prophecies for the same reasons as ''Sri T'' and "swordsbane".  There have been hundreds of dooms day predictions in MY life time alone that obviously did not come to pass.  There is no scientific reason to believe the 12/21/12 prediction either.   Frankly speaking if, and when, doomsday does arrive no one will be able to predict it or prepare to survive it.   When the meteor hit the earth and wiped out the dinosaurs, there was little that man could have done to survive had he lived in those days.  I suspect the next great catastrophe will do the same, so there is little point in trying to "prepare" or worry about it.

7. lostdogrwd profile image60
    lostdogrwdposted 11 years ago

I heard and read about Mayan and it prophecies but never seen one and they not God but man and man have shown me to be full of crap.

8. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 11 years ago

It is a matter of interpretation when comes to prediction. If one able to read the stars and its formation, it can reveal certain secrets beyond science. But it is not a simple task as there are too many factors that can change the situation. Unless you are really very good at it where you can factor in all possibilities to have an accurate reading, it might be out. I always believe in things beyond science though it cannot be explained.

9. howlermunkey profile image74
    howlermunkeyposted 11 years ago

Google "days left mayan Apocalypse" and you will see my hub. I tried to keep it short and sweet, yet, present some interesting facts. The "Long Count" Calendar , which was 5,125 years long,  expires on Sept 21. (very cool I think, long time coming). This was their longest calendar (as historians, they actually used 4 different calendars). Their Long Count expires on The Winter Solstice, but not just any winter solstice, .....

On sept 21, 2012 the Sun will be exactly in the center of the Galaxy!  To the Mayans, who were superior astonomers of their day, this must have seen like the end all.....

BUT..., given the age of our Planet Earth, .... 4.3 billlion years... our Planet has survived this event over 150,000 times!!!!

(Our planet is old,.... Mankind record keeping Not so much....)

1. swordsbane profile image60
      swordsbaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The sun will not be in the center of the galaxy.  It orbits the center of the galaxy.  What you refer to is the point where an observer see's the sun directly between the earth and the center of the galaxy.  The trouble is.. that has already passed.

2. howlermunkey profile image74
      howlermunkeyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

TY Swordsbane,  I need to change my terminology to "precession of equinoxes" references I used -
      http://alignment2012.com/whatisga.htm. http://people.howstuffworks.com/mayan-calendar4.htm.

10. kevins blog52 profile image77
    kevins blog52posted 11 years ago

I have to agree with you I don't believe in that crap either,I mean don't it just figure they had to run out of room sometime lol. They will blow it out of proportion though like they did for the year 2000, its big bucks, they will take advantage of people for there own gain. Only God knows, and you will know when his son Jesus Christ descends from  the eastern skies, every knee will be bowed.Just believe in Him and you wont have anything to worry about.

11. Alexander Brenner profile image80
    Alexander Brennerposted 11 years ago

I don't "believe" in them but anything is possible. People say that with the Mayan calendar not accounting for the introduction of leap year it should have been some time ago. The thing is this "prophecy" is of such a giant magnitude, a new world order, that I doubt it would be disturbed by something as shaky as humanity's concept of time. If it was supposed to happen a while ago and it didn't, awesome, no one is happier than I, but I do not think that is a good reason to be one hundred percent sure nothing will happen.

1. swordsbane profile image60
      swordsbaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But with no reason for something to happen, I'm not losing any sleep on the 21st of December.  It's just a date, just like many others.  Someone SAYING something will happen isn't good enough, yet that's all we've had.

12. tsadjatko profile image66
    tsadjatkoposted 11 years ago

Prophecies? Prophecies are an illusion. Many have made predictions, some may come true while most do not. Because a prediction comes true has absolutely nothing to do with an ability to predict it (unless one can prophesy without error and as far as I know only the Bible has been credited with that ability). Anyone who is naive enough to believe that anyone has the ability to predict the future needs to grow up. Anyone can make statements about the future, even calculated educated gueses and odds are one will come true, but that in no way means that the event was prophesied. Prophesy implies a supernatural knowledge of the future, not a chance hit or miss statement which gives the illusion of prophecy..

13. Frank Menchise profile image51
    Frank Menchiseposted 11 years ago

Perhaps is just the end of the Mayan calendar, and it does not mean that the world will end that day, therefore for me this is not even a prophecy.

14. Rosana Modugno profile image73
    Rosana Modugnoposted 11 years ago

I believe they ran out of stone or the stone maker dropped dead and no one could take his place. lol  End of the world?  No, just end of the stone maker. lol  Making light of it because it's silly.  No one can really predict the end of the world.  It's way too complicated.  It will end when we least expect it, while we are asleep or walking along doing nothing or we will die, which is pretty much the same thing;  the end of "our" world.  It has to end some day with or without a calendar.

15. Brie Hoffman profile image60
    Brie Hoffmanposted 11 years ago

I don't believe in the Mayan prophecies because they contradict the true prophecies of the Bible.  If the Bible is correct the least amount of time we have left is at least 10 years and even then certain things would have to occur in order for the 10 years to be the end or the time of Jesus' return.  However, I do think we are close to the end so I would give it 10 to 30 years left.

16. lone77star profile image73
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

They weren't Mayan prophecies!

The Mayans merely said that their calendar would end on about December 21, 2012. And that date is approximate, because of uncertainties in the calculations.

But our calendar ends every year -- December 31. No great shakes, there! No horrible events, except perhaps New Years' resolutions! Ouch!

The only ones who "predicted" doom and gloom were the people who wanted to make money off of their "discovery." But what they discovered was about as significant as your car odometer rolling over from 99,999.99 to 100,000.00. Whoopee!

And yet, there are some sinister folk who might be behind the fear mongering. There are a Power Elite who thrive off of such things. That's why they created the false flag operation we know as 9/11, and then blamed it on a rag-tag group of Muslims that they had kept free from FBI interference -- prepared as patsies until the fateful day.

Will there be another 9/11 this December. Perhaps. Perhaps not. But the Rockefellers, Rothschilds and their ilk get off on widespread fear and unease. Keeping people distracted and divided helps them accomplish their Orwellian goals. They have a private Central Bank in nearly every country, now. The once sovereign nations are now debt slaves to the Power Elite. America has been such a slave for 99 years, ever since the private Federal Reserve (Rothschild and Rockefeller) Central Bank was created in 1913, along with the IRS to keep the Fed well fed.

There is an end coming. But no one knows exactly when. It was foretold in Revelation, the last book of the Bible. We've already had several of its signs appear during my lifetime. In fact, the rebirth of Israel, so vital to all of Revelation, occurred 2 years before I was born -- 1948. We've seen the Great Star named Chernobyl ("wormwood" in Ukrainian) spread its pestilence across 1/3 of the world -- 1986. And the Rockefellers have already let it slip their intentions to give their Mark of the Beast (Revelation 13) to everyone so that no one will be able to conduct commerce without it (Aaron Russo interview 2007).

17. whonunuwho profile image54
    whonunuwhoposted 11 years ago

I do not believe the prophesies were meant for us, and those that it was meant for, the times are way out of whack and even contradictory. There have been some Mayan prophesies that read more than 5000 thousand years into the future. It is all such a sham, and flim-flam artists are capitalizing on it just as they did in Y2-K times.Millions are being made in survival equipment and underground bunkers and much mass hysteria is being concocted. People are being worried for no good reason, other than that we should try in being more conservative of the earth's natural resources, and respectful of nature, in general!!!The real worry that we have is the people who take it upon themselves to riot over not being able to secure goods from the shelves, which will be mist likely emptied by the middle of December in this year. If we stay calm, it will pass, and it will all be business as usual.

18. PoetasDsigns profile image59
    PoetasDsignsposted 11 years ago

This i what i have to say the only one that knows when this world is coming to an end is our creator God, there has being people who give prophecies but it's only those who have a communion with the holly spirit. Mayans did human sacrifices therefore they couldn't have a communion with the holly spirit so whatever they said was going to happen to us it's not because they didn't have the gift of giving prophecies

19. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 11 years ago

I believe they were a philosophized people and that what their prophecies say were carefully calculated and thought out, but today we cannot be exactly sure how to decipher their prophecies. What has been said in the past that those prophecies mean is hogwash.

20. soconfident profile image71
    soconfidentposted 11 years ago

I don't either, because there are so many domesday dates out there that it doesnt make since. Live your life to the fullest.

21. Goody5 profile image60
    Goody5posted 11 years ago

All I can say is that December 21st will be here before we know it. There's a really an interesting hub that's been written with a totally different perspective on this topic - http://theholestory.hubpages.com/hub/Th … n-calendar  Keep on hubbing  smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)