What do you think of the New Age Movement?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Say Yes To Life profile image79
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 10 years ago

What do you think of the New Age Movement?

I used to be bitter, because the first New Ager I knew was my father's 3rd wife who was a manipulative b!+c#.  I have since met some really cool people, among them a former roommate who overcame war PTSD through yoga, and my current landlord.  Fundamental religion no longer works for me, and I really wonder if there's something to crystal healing.  What do you guys think?

2. kittythedreamer profile image74
    kittythedreamerposted 10 years ago

I've been using crystals and stones to relieve stress for many years, and I know quite a few people who are into crystal healing and many other new age concepts and beliefs. The New Age movement is based on the Old Ways...old religions and practices that our ancestors practiced, before Christianity and the Abrahamic religions ruled the world. Modern day Pagans practice very similarly to what our ancestors did. I am a Pagan and embrace all religions, but more specifically New Age religions that are open-minded, loving, and kind...anything that isn't dogmatic. Blessings to you!

3. Mr. Happy profile image70
    Mr. Happyposted 10 years ago

I think Mrs. Kittythedreamer, answered your question quite well, especially in saying that the New Age movement is based on the Old Ways, or Ancient Knowledge as I call it.

Regarding crystals, I think it would be one of those things: to each their own. Not all Spiritual people use crystals but many do. I carry stones and such in one of my medicine bags. They are power stones and I use them more for protection and guidance; not so much for healing but they can certainly help with that too in my opinion.

In respect to manipulative people ... those are around in many shapes and forms, not just in the New Age movement. We would only have to think about the scandals with the Catholic priests and such ...

Research works best in my opinion, as in inform yourself: learn, study and then, see how the pieces of the puzzle fit for You.

All the best!

May Wakan Tanka guide your path.

4. Lady Guinevere profile image67
    Lady Guinevereposted 10 years ago

Jesus was considered a "New Ager".  He used all kinds of natural things to heal.  Many others of his time did that as well.  Why it was not documented---well it was.  There was lots of documentation for all these things and much more at the Library of Alexander.  It got burnt down by a very jealous, manipulative and selfish people who tried to put the blame on another people.  Jesus said for us to heal ourselves.  That means that we have the potential to heal ourselves.  We must believe this for it to be true.  Some things we will not be able too, but what we leave behind may help or shall I say will help others that are on their same path.  It's all about love.  If you believe then you have the real FAITH that Jesus taught.

1. lone77star profile image75
      lone77starposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Beautiful, Lady G. Jesus kept saying that it wasn't he that healed the person, but the people themselves by their own faith. His mission was to bring us to that new (old) viewpoint.

5. SidKemp profile image85
    SidKempposted 10 years ago

There is a lot of good in the New Age. It really got moving in the 1960s, when we needed to challenge a lot of old thinking quickly, or risk losing the world to, first, nuclear annihilation and, now, ecological destruction. Einstein pointed the way when he said that no serious problem we face can be solved by our old level of thinking, then pointed out that a loving heart was the path to the solution. (Most people ignore the 2nd half of that quote.)

The New Age is both new, holistic thinking about the planet and also ancient wisdom from non-western sources (India, China and the Far East, native traditions, and reinterpretations of ancient Western sources, including Christ.) That's a lot of wisdom to explore.

Explore with a loving heart. There is a world - a universe - of help for those who desire to heal and grow and help others.

6. fen lander profile image77
    fen landerposted 10 years ago

In answer to the last-part of the question - healing is GOOD no matter what methodology you use.
    As to the main question 'what do you think of the New Age Movement,'  - not only is it most timely that such a thing exists but it's most assuredly also a GOOD THING.
    When the New era becomes 'full-blown' in a couple of centuries we will by then be almost entirely transformed, individually and collectively.
    But at this time, the last-throes of the Old Age of Pisces, we are undergoing the necessary and vital changes and that's why the new Age Movement exists. We need it. The changes are massive, profound, far-reaching, revolutionary and we need some guidance because change is never easy for human beings, but even harder for collectives.
    The formal religion you speak of is a product of the Piscean Age now departing; The New Age will be characterized by self-reliance and self-empowerment for which formal-religion is a hurdle to be jumped, a skin to be shed.
    Aum

1. Mr. Happy profile image70
      Mr. Happyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I appreciate your answer. Aho!
      May Wakan Tanka walk with You.

2. Say Yes To Life profile image79
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

"All healing is good" - excellent point! The cult I had inadvertently joined asked, "Would you rather be sick or be healed by the Devil?" They didn't heal me! In fact, they put me in danger! For that matter, does the Devil heal?

7. C_MarieWeber profile image61
    C_MarieWeberposted 10 years ago

The New Age Movement stresses acceptance, letting go of negative energy, and feeling love and compassion for all things. It has holistic qualities and embraces healthy living...something that has been lost in traditional religions of today. New Agers understand the body/mind/spirit connection.

Within the New Age Movement we seek the divine spark within all of us, this may be recognized as the Holy Spirit. It connects us all and in that sense we are One. The integration of all that is makes up the Divine Source, or God. We are all eyes and ears of God. In the Holy Bible it is taught that what you do to your brother, you do unto God.

I am not in favor of any religion that uses its dogma to oppress others. Unfortunately, many things within the bible do this. Islamic religion do much to control female reproduction. Frankly, this just annoys me. Old World (and some modern) males trying to control females so they are guaranteed access to 'you-know-what', and it's really pathetic. I will not 'submit' to my husband and I will not 'obey'. In some countries I could be killed for this attitude...and probably by my husband, his mother or brother, with a swift acid wash or freakishly accelerated burning. Ouch!

There is so much ridiculousness within scripture that when critically read can only be seen as a means of justification and rationalization of the dominating forces of that time...it still lingers, unfortunately. I may not believe all I read in scripture, and maybe I'm going to its theoretical hell, but I will never deny the existence of God. I just don't believe in a God of Wrath and Jealousy. These are infantile human characteristics.

Crystal healing? Why not?! At one time we thought the world was flat, so what do we know? If it works, it works. I lean more to the idea that self-healing has more to do with 'faith', or the belief that whatever you are doing WILL work. The placebo effect, maybe? However, it has been proven that consciousness affects matter. There's really no telling what we are capable of, and maybe crystals help.

8. somethgblue profile image72
    somethgblueposted 10 years ago

I have accepted that most people think I'm crazy based on my beliefs, what is difficult is that the people I love and that love me think that because I have beliefs that are so far removed from what 99% of the world believes that makes me crazy as well.

I have absolute proof beyond a shadow of a doubt that not only is astral projection real, anyone can do it. However fear prevents most people from even considering the information, let alone trying it themselves.

Conditioning from TV leaves most incapable of accepting anything outside of what they're told is real and so most people have no clue as to what is possible and what is real.

I have learned that it is not my job to enlighten the world and that all I can do is offer the information, what you do with it is your business.

There is a whole world of spiritual information right at humanity's fingertips and yet most people refused to even consider it (denial is the most basic human emotion), the human race has a long way to go but I do see some hope of humanity waking up.

1. lone77star profile image75
      lone77starposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Awesome, blue. I tend not to call it "astral projection," though. For me, it's more like "me" (true spiritual self) getting out for a walk.

Keep spreading the love. Some of are hungry for it.

9. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

I love it and live it.  I believe spirituality and finding oneself and your connection with your source is the way to go.  Religion is dogmatic and rigid - confining.  The New Age movement is all about exploration, freedom, connecting with your higher self and finding your personal, spiritual power.  I found the new age philosophies to be liberating.  I don't subscribe to everything about it - but I love yoga, meditation, and energy healing.  Mostly, I love the people I know who are a part of the movement.  You can find manipulative, disrespectful people among any walk of life.  Look for the good in others and focus on those who uplift and inspire you.

10. lone77star profile image75
    lone77starposted 10 years ago

There is a great deal of good in most spiritual movements, but there can also be dark elements, too.

I have had my greatest spiritual breakthroughs by studying comparative religion. I've studied Christianity, Scientology, Yoga, Buddhism, Judaism, Jewish mysticism (Kabbalah) and Christianity. I've experienced full-blown miracles comparable to Moses parting the sea, and I've been outside of my physical body fully capable of seeing every detail without my human eyes.

I wouldn't depend on vehicles for spiritual growth. That's going in the wrong direction, in my experience. That may be why one of the Ten Commandments cautions against graven images, because God has no form. Neither do we, His children.

Vehicles can be good for learning about spirituality, but it's all too easy for them to turn into cults.

11. savvydating profile image90
    savvydatingposted 10 years ago

The main thing to keep in mind in studying New Age, is that good and bad flow out together. Consequently, it is imperative to learn methods of protection before beginning a new esoteric spiritual endeavor. "White lighters" like to think they can choose the good and ignore the bad, but it doesn't work quite that way. Also, crystals can probably be useful. A good book to read about this matter is "Shouting at the Wolf." by Reed Anderson.
    I'm not into New Age, but I understand the appeal. Again, methods of protection are needed to keep you grounded before you begin, should you choose to do so.

Excellent point!  That's a good idea, any time you take on a new endeavor, whether it be travelling to another country, or checking out a new religion.  I used to think New Age was EST, which everyone now knows is a damaging cult. I now know better!

12. Lor's Stories profile image61
    Lor's Storiesposted 10 years ago

well it does not upset me because we all can chose what we want to follow.
    I don't believe in crystals or  gurus.
    And i would not follow any movement just because a Celebrity is into it.
    How many times has Madonna changed her movement?
    What ever gets you through your day is fine by me

True - plus John Travolta left Scientology, and they tried to destroy his reputation. Also, currently Tom Cruise is a hot topic in the tabloids because of the cult he's joined.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)