Should a person feel guilty about feeling blessed, for not losing a loved one fo

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (16 posts)
  1. IDONO profile image61
    IDONOposted 10 years ago

Should a person feel guilty about feeling blessed, for not losing a loved one for any reason?

For every winner, there is a loser. For every loser, there is a winner. Why do some feel it is wrong to give God credit, but so easy to give God blame? Whatever one believes is their choice and should be respected. But that doesn't make the other one wrong, or ignorant, or insulting. Winners celebrate. Losers mourn. Isn't that simply how things work in life?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

Yes. Just celebrate your blessings and what God has done for you and your family. Celebrate each day you get to wake up and spend time with your loved ones. Each day is a gift, not a promise.

1. IDONO profile image61
      IDONOposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. I think you know where this question came from. By asking this one, I felt it would give me the chance to check my own thoughts without the argumentative environment. It's hard to be open-minded with people that aren't. Thank You, JT

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are welcome my friend.

3. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 10 years ago

No.  Nobody should feel guilty for not being the one to lose a loved one.  However, I don't think the reasoning used in this question "holds much water".  Within the context of this particular issue, life isn't a game or a competition.  Based on the kind of reasoning used here, that would mean that everyone who has ever died is a loser who didn't know how to "play the game" or "beat out the competition".

The point that one person should not feel guilty for not losing someone is a good one.  Ironically, it is the "winners/loses" kind of thinking that makes people have jealousy, envy, and/or resentment toward others who are more fortunate.  "Winners/losers" thinking makes people think there's not room for everyone (ideally) to be fortunate and/or that one person must be unfortunate (lose) in order for others to be fortunate.

No.  Nobody should feel guilty for being among the more fortunate in not having to face horrible loss/tragedy; but, no - "winners/losers" isn't "how life works".  It's how games and competitions work.  Who is fortunate and who isn't most of the time is of little consequence to anyone other than the person, himself (and his family/friends, maybe).

1. IDONO profile image61

I'm sorry if my choice of wording was misleading. You are right. Life is not a competition and that wasn't what I was trying to convey. I hope no one is offended. That certainly was not my intention. Thank you for giving me opportunity to clarify.

4. Grace-Wolf-30 profile image61
    Grace-Wolf-30posted 10 years ago

Nobody should feel guilty for what other people don't have, or for successes. Every persons life is different, we are all given a unique roll of the ball. Each loss in life is an opportunity to grow stronger as human beings, and each success is a celebration of what we can achieve.

1. IDONO profile image61

It's far different when speaking of people that "don't have" compared to those that had and then lost. There is a certain amount of guilt that sets in when  people of much higher standing than myself, suffer losses  ,while I don't.  Why am I lucky?

5. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Of course not. No one should feel guilty for not experiencing the greatest hardships or losses. Their time just hasn't come yet. Some of us experience loss earlier in life and some, later in life. Thank God for every day of your life that doesn't include loss, for it is sure to come. Count your blessings as gifts and enjoy them. I would advise one who is experiencing this type of "survivor guilt" to direct that energy toward giving back or helping someone in need. This way, there will be balance in receiving and giving; there will no longer be a need to associate joy with guilt. Good question, peace to you.

1. IDONO profile image61

Thanks Janshares. My question isn't about feeling guilty for not losing someone. My question is feeling guilty or arrogant by believing you are blessed by God while others aren't. I don't believe God to be punishing, but understand why some do.

2. MissBrando profile image60
      MissBrandoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Great comment Janshares. I thought it was very well put.

6. Renee Abbott profile image80
    Renee Abbottposted 10 years ago

I would hope no one feels guilty for their blessings. For those who still have their love ones, it is another day to cherish them. For those who don't, we cherish their memories. Are they both not blessings?

7. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 10 years ago

There is a story from ancient times of a woman who's tiny baby died in the night.  She went to The Buddha, for she truly believed that, if he wished, he could restore her child's life.  She pleaded and pleaded and would not understand when Buddha told he her was just a man and could not do that.

Eventually, he said to her, go into the nearby city and if you can find any family  who has not had someone die then come back to me and I'll see what I can do.

Well, she went into the market place and started asking around.  Everyone she spoke to had lost a husband, or wife, or brother, or sister.  Some had lost mothers or fathers or both.  Some had lost uncles and aunts.   She tried other places, poor people homes, rich men's residences.  Finally, after several days of searching she returned to Buddha, the dead baby still with her.  She stood before the Buddha and at last she knew:   nobody goes through life without losing someone.

So I think that all this losers and winners stuff is nonsense.  It is our attitude to what life presents to us that makes us think we are winners or losers.   As I've said before, it is a case of 'mind matters most.'

8. stanwshura profile image72
    stanwshuraposted 10 years ago

I don't begrudge others for feeling blessed for their good fortune, NOR for said good fortune.  That said, I do bitterly reject any type of yin/yang idea that the millionaire must be balanced by the pauper!  In turn for not blindly hating and resenting those who enjoy a relatively comfortable life, I appreciate at least a considered respect for my sometime feeling jilted - yes, even by God - and wishing those who bask in blessings aplenty to look around and see how they might help others.

9. LoisRyan13903 profile image62
    LoisRyan13903posted 10 years ago

I honestly cannot think of anyone who has lost at least one loved on.  In my immediate family I have lost a father and an infant son.  Even with these loses I still feel blessed

1. IDONO profile image61

I'd say that you know something about gratitude!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)