jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

Atheists, agnostics, non mainstream - if treated with respect, is your response

1. jlpark profile image86
    jlparkposted 2 years ago

Atheists, agnostics, non mainstream - if treated with respect, is your response different?

In relation to religious (mainstream - Christian, Islam etc) people approaching or discussing religion with you - if treated respectfully, and a respectful dialogue is had - do you respond differently to when approached with no thought to yr beliefs or lack of?

2. Edwin Thomas profile image75
    Edwin Thomasposted 2 years ago

As long as atheists won't force their ideas into others or mistreat other religions they must be treated with respect

1. peeples profile image94
      peeplesposted 2 years agoin reply to this

That is a great view. I hope it extends to all people not just atheists. We'd all be a bit happier if no one forced their ideas on others!

2. ChristinS profile image95
      ChristinSposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I agree peeples - smile

3. chuckandus6 profile image76
      chuckandus6posted 2 years agoin reply to this

I agree I am not an atheist but my husband is and respecting someone is whole picture including beliefs

3. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 2 years ago

I have managed to discuss religions respectfully with many people and have even studied many different paths.  I love Buddhism, yet I'm an atheist smile I think anyone with an open mind who isn't just looking for a fight or wanting to be "right" at anothers expense is worthy of respect.

1. Say Yes To Life profile image81
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Buddhism is non-theistic, which means it doesn't matter if the follower believes in a deity or not.  So it's not surprising that you are both Buddhist and atheistl

4. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

If religionists are respectful and open-minded in discussing their particular religious ideology with me (New Ager), I would readily discuss religious, spiritual, and/or philosophical ideologies with them.   I do that with liberal, nontraditional, and/or universalistic religionists all the time.  They respect my beliefs and I respect theirs.

However, the more conservative, dogmatic, fundamentalist, and/or fanatical religionists strongly aver that their particular belief systems are the only sacrosanct ones.  Although they purport that they respect others' religious, ethical, and/or spiritual views, in actuality they do not.  They will underhandedly convey to you that your ethical and/or spiritual beliefs and/or ideology are in error.  They will go as far to acknowledge that your particular belief system is fallacious and will try to convert you to their thinking.  No, I do not respect such people and rather than to futilely argue with them, it is best to ignore them altogether. 

They are toxic people and it is best to tax oneself emotionally, mentally, psychologically, even psychically.  If they are family members-avoid them, even dissociate yourself from them entirely.

5. Austinstar profile image87
    Austinstarposted 2 years ago

I have almost never been treated with respect regarding religious discussions. The minute someone finds out that I do not believe in a god or gods, they become antagonistic for some reason.
    Usually, it goes like this, "Seriously? you don't believe in god?" or "You HAVE to believe in god, He created us!" or "I don't want you to go to hell, let me tell you how to be saved." or some other expression of "it's impossible to NOT believe in a god or gods."
    And I'm also tired of religionists insisting that "religion is the only way and it does no harm". In my opinion, it is one of the most harmful human behaviors on the planet - this insistence that "my god is better than your god" divisiveness. If you don't belong to my club/cult/religion, then you are not worthy of acknowledgement.
    Fellow atheists and/or agnostics do respect my thoughts, so quite naturally, I can have intelligent discussions with them.
    It is said that atheists are the most hated group in America - perhaps the world. I would like to see that impression change in my lifetime.

6. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 2 years ago

I'd like to think that I respond thoughtfully even when I'm not approached with respect. But it's definitely preferable. For me, the most respectful way someone could approach me about the subject is by asking me questions, and then acknowledging my answers. Dominating the conversation, or claiming my answers are insufficient, is one of the fastest ways to end any kind of dialogue.

7. Say Yes To Life profile image81
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 2 years ago

As someone who used to be a conservative Christian, now turned agnostic, I can see both points of view.  In the past, if I came across an agnostic / atheist, I would try to convert them.  Now I realize that no one really knows what lies beyond this Earthly plain, so it's not our place to judge.  It's usually easy to tell if someone is a hard core Christian who will judge those who see things differently; in those instances, I simply refuse to discuss the matter.