If it was proven beyond a doubt that there is no God...

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (172 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Amie Warrenposted 13 years ago

...would it destroy your life?

So many people these days seem so dependent on God for everything, so wrapped up in letting him solve all their problems for them. It absolves them of so much responsibility for their own lives.

Do you think these people could cope if it was taken away from them? It would be like taking Heroin away from a junkie forever, wouldn't it? Some of them would be so addicted, they would literally die without it, but those who survived it would be stronger in the long run.

Or would they refuse to believe it, and keep worshipping God anyway? What would churches do? Religion is a multi-billion dollar industry in this country alone.

1. wilmiers77 profile image60
      wilmiers77posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Amie, how would one go about proving that God doesn't exist? I am not the smartest person in the world, but I think that for an orphan to prove that his/her biological parents doesn't exist, so don't worry about it,  would be infinitely easier

1. profile image0
        Amie Warrenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

God is not anyone's biological father, because he is not biological.  I'm sure if anyone was looking to prove he did not exist, it would not be someone who believed in him.

Posing a question doesn't mean I'm worried about it. Believe me, God is the least of my worries, since I don't believe he exists.

1. aguasilver profile image70
          aguasilverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Then why ask the question?

We will all know the truth soon enough.

1. Rishy Rich profile image72
            Rishy Richposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Would u care to answer her question?

Actually I thought I had, but looking back it must have been a similar thread...

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/53469?p … ost1221579

The question (in any case) is a red herring, in that it would be impossible to prove beyond doubt that there was no God, especially to believers who have a relationship with Him, but my earlier post answer (link above) would suffice as my answer, I would revert to being a Wiccan, or Buddhist which were by far the most accommodating choices before I came to faith.

But as it ain't gonna happen..... smile

What if God says that you are wrong... smile

Then I would accept His judgement, for He is Just.

You see I came to believe that He was Just and that I was not, so I placed my faith in Him, and He has been faithful to me in that faith, and I trust Him totally, so if He found me to be wrong, it would be for a Just and perfect reason.

So if he says that he doesnt has a Son & never sent any messages & its foolish to have faith than logic, would u totally agree with him?

2. profile image58
                    stoneyyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

'Just' isn't part of "God's" make up.

2. profile image58

One can't know anything when one is dead.

3. profile image58

I'm having to piggyback this reply to that of an earlier post.  Reason being there's no <reply> button at the bottom of the post I'm responding to.

aquasilver wrote;

"...As I said to Mark earlier, I am no defender of Churchianity or any other man originated religion, but I do defend (verbally and in print) the written word, for Christ is frequently blamed for the actions of man."

The Abrahamic religions are a man originated religion no different than those you don't follow.  That said, God rightly is blamed for several reasons.  First, the manufacturer retains responsibility for its products.  Secondly, the stated Omni characteristics of; omnipresent and omniscence.  Omni=all.  Thirdly, the oft demonstrated interfereance in human affairs.  Fourthly, the 'Divine Plan' rubbish. 

There are ramifications and reprecussions to stated attributes and claims.

aquasilver wrote;
            "I disagree with capital punishment for the same reasons, for it does no good except guarantee that the murderer kills no more (which is possibly all the good that is needed), but I condone capital punishment, because God has dictated that murders should die for their crime, and I trust His decisions to be correct."

God had dictated all who break the Sabbath at the level of picking up sticks are to have capital punishment applied to them.  God's indicated every Christian on the planet is guilty of this and should be promptly executed. Clearly, you don't trust His decisions to be correct.

2. profile image58

wilmiers77posted

"Amie, how would one go about proving that God doesn't exist?"

Toddlers play.  Look at what's given as the definition of the word.  Look at the tenets and base concepts and claims.  Look at the ramifications and repercussions, begged questions and broken logic.

"I am not the smartest person in the world, but I think that for an orphan to prove that his/her biological parents doesn't exist, so don't worry about it,  would be infinitely easier."

{BOGGLE}  An orphan is a child who's parents have died.  Death indicates a lack of existence.

2. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The billion dollar industry????  .. is ... NOT ...  God !

Why do peopleforget that ??

God is not a religion though he can be found there!
         And sometimes religion is all that the person is looking for, in which case,    that is what they find. 
         Their time is not yet   ...   but soon ....  they will be ready soon........

1. profile image58

God is fiction.  The billion dollar industry, for all intents and purposes, is *God.*  God is a sock puppet.

3. Zenofsong profile image60
      Zenofsongposted 13 years agoin reply to this

this is a bit silly, no?
      If you say youve got proof that there is no god i'll just claim some other invisible omnipotent entity as the origin of existence.

Every man and woman, toad and snail is god manifesting itself as the many things of existence. Yeah, there is no god, he is us.

1. pisean282311 profile image63
        pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

it is not at all silly...since it challenges your idea of being, you think it is silly..there was big "IF" with statement..so just suppose there is no god...now how does it effect ur life?...

2. profile image58

Omni characteristics fail due to their own internal contradictions.

4. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

sense when does a corporation need truth to make a profit???????
      especialy a nonprofit one!

5. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You would have to know God to understand. Knowing personally that God exists, gives a person strength to go on.

I have witnessed many people overcome some real obstacles because they trusted that God would help them, whether he is the mind in a person, nature itself, or a feeling God.

And if we could prove there was God, would you admit it?

1. profile image58

Concerning proof of no God.  Been there, done that, ad nauseum.  Doesn't matter since the theist driver is emotional.

"You would have to know God to understand. Knowing personally that God exists, gives a person strength to go on."

The above quote is very silly and nonsense.  Working within general Xian assertions....

'God is unknowable/No one knows the mind of God' then the believer goes on to state what is 'known' or what God 'wants.'

Check out the looney bins.  You'll find many people who 'know personally' they're God/Jesus Christ, Napoleon, and all sorts of other delusional things.

Granted, delusions can give a person strength.

Your statement about 'overcoming real obstacles' and the like reminds me of an old Honeymooners skit.

Ralph;  And just *who* took you to the hospital after you got hit with that baseball bat?

Norton:  You did, Ralph.  *After* you hit me with it!

You can't 'prove' God.  Heck, you folks can't even come up with a coherent definition for the three letter string!  Begged questions, furious hand waving, unsupported assertions, and broken logic don't a definition make.

That you believe is your business.  That many people don't buy the superstition theists peddle is also your problem.

6. lady_love158 profile image59
      lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

If god didn't exist man would invent him.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
        Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't and we did. sad

1. profile image58

With each individual believer 'rolling their own' God.

God is a sock puppet.

Thou Art God-Lazarus Long a character in a Robert A. Heinlein novel.

7. profile image58

Many believers would shout; "Get thee behind me, Satan."  Its emotion based.  Reason and evidence don't enter the theistic universe.

2. spookyfox profile image60
    spookyfoxposted 13 years ago

"Or would they refuse to believe it, and keep worshipping God anyway?"

Very likely. And maybe claim that the proof is the work of the devil.

1. profile image0

Or Obama's fault.

2. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

the ones that would face up to reality might experience grief.  Those that ignore sense will continue to believe what they want to believe (and stuff it down other people's throats)

1. profile image58

Those who face up to reality might also experience; rage at the betrayal by parents, as well as great pain at having to waste years eliminating the malevolent religious programming they should have been protected from in the first place.

Religion is for people who can't handle reality.

3. pylos26 profile image72
    pylos26posted 13 years ago

The desperate and weak would take the easy way and invent something to worship.

1. profile image0

Yes, I suppose the crippled must have a crutch.

1. profile image58

While they inwardly rage at those who stand on their own two feet and stride past the hobblers.

4. stilljustwonderin profile image61
    stilljustwonderinposted 13 years ago

God helps those who help themselves.  So, it isn't like we just sit back and wait on everything to come to us.  We know we have to do our part.  We do take responsibility for our lives.
    Actually God's existance, or not, can't be proven either way.  The people who have felt him, his love, will never doubt him.

1. profile image0

"God helps those how help themselves"...You know that's not from the Bible, don't you? It's from Shakespeare, I think.  Funny how so many Christians who swear they know the bible quote that so often.

1. stilljustwonderin profile image61
        stilljustwonderinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wasn't quoting from the Bible.  If I were to I would use the one that says, don't work, don't eat.  Funny how athiest misunderstand so much that a Christian says.

1. profile image0

Not an Atheist, thank you, I'm a Pantheist, but that being said, I've read and studied four versions of the Bible and taught bible classes for years, so I do know a little about it.

Believe me, there are more Christians who don't really know the Bible than those who do.

2. libby101a profile image60
        libby101aposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"God helps those who help themselves"

Written by Ben Franklin!

I think more christians know the Bible than you think! There may be a few who don't but I think or hope most of them have read their bibles and studied the scriptures out as I have! If they don't then shame on them!

5. spookyfox profile image60
    spookyfoxposted 13 years ago

Is it me or everyone's completely missing the point of this question? It's not how do you prove that god doesn't exist? or would it be possible to prove that god doesn't exist?

It's what if.

1. profile image0

I know, you know, but everyone else just wants to spout their own views. So be it.

1. profile image58

Threads, like life, evolve.

6. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

Amie, my favorite movie is "Contact" featuring Jodie Foster and Matthew McConaughey. She is a skeptic scientist and he is a preacher. There is a line where she asks him "How can you be certain that there is a God? How do you know you're not deluding yourself?" He answers: "I wouldn't want to live in a world where there's no God."
    I think this is true for most people. It's not a matter of not wanting to take responsibility for our faults. It's a matter of feeling like we belong to something greater than ourselves.

1. spookyfox profile image60
      spookyfoxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wonderful film. It didn't really portray religious people in a very good light though, besides the priest. It was based on Carl Sagan's book afterall and he was not a fan of god.

1. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think it shows clear examples of what happens when people become fanatics of religion and science. The character that Jodie Foster plays is a fanatic of science. She had not even considered having a normal life since she was so concerned with her work. It's not until after she experiences something she can't explain that she begins to walk in someone else's shoes.

1. profile image58

I would indicate for her it was a normal life.  No different than Condoleeza Rice {former US Secretary of State} or other driven goal oriented folks.

2. profile image0

But even without God, we DO belong to something greater than ourselves. We belong to the Universe. How much bigger than that can you get?

1. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but in my personal opinion (and note I am not a religious person) I believe that God is the energy that embodies and moves everything that exists in the universe. I'm not thinking of an old white-bearded grandpa sitting on a throne surrounded by angels and clouds. So, if God is the Universe, then we do belong to it, just as we belong to the force that created it. smile

P.S. - I'm passing the soup secret among friends. You are becoming famous!

1. Woman Of Courage profile image61
          Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

klarawieck, I agree. God is truly the main source of all his creations.

2. profile image58

Trivially so.

We are a very very very very very  etc small and insignificant part of the universe.  The universe isn't sentient so I don't think belong is the proper term.  YMMV, of course.  smile

3. profile image58

Belong.  Concerning Christianity such is slavery.

So often things come down to the 'promise' of 'Eternal Life' coupled with the 'eternal binary consequence' of 'Heaven' and 'Hell.'

7. Merlin Fraser profile image60
    Merlin Fraserposted 13 years ago

For those that are interested there is ample proof of the non existence of God, however as mentioned here, there are many who need the crutch of faith to sustain their lives and give their existence some sort of meaning, other than the obvious.

For the greater part it is not a failure of education it is rather a refusal to believe or accept the blindingly obvious.  Of course, as we have demonstrated here in the Hub Pages forum it is clearly a waste of time trying to explain anything to anyone with such religious mind set.    Mentally they are incapable of accepting such information and will use the most ridiculous arguments and Biblical quotes to justify and cling to their belief.

Presumably their life would be meaningless without God, a fact I find a little sad since it demonstrates how little they think of themselves and their abilities.

Good to see your normal pomposity is still working overtime.

2. profile image0

Our minds do what they need to do to survive. If your mind isn't capable of believing or coping with reality, it will go into a dissociative state, which is the state most religious fanatics live in.  Some of them even live in a fugue state, totally divorced from any reasonable sense of reality.

3. profile image58

Merlin Fraser posted

"For those that are interested there is ample proof of the non existence of God, however as mentioned here, there are many who need the crutch of faith to sustain their lives and give their existence some sort of meaning, other than the obvious."

A person can give them self a 'purpose' then change it when they choose.

Concerning a universe spanning multiple omni character-there is nothing a theist can do for such a entity.

There would be no notice or connection to said entity much less any 'relationship' personal or otherwise.

"For the greater part it is not a failure of education it is rather a refusal to believe or accept the blindingly obvious.  Of course, as we have demonstrated here in the Hub Pages forum it is clearly a waste of time trying to explain anything to anyone with such religious mind set."

Of course not, but there are lurkers observing the interchanges.  Theists are driven by emotional needs, induced or otherwise.  Reason and objective evidence don't enter their universe.  Its a royal mind f**k.

"Mentally they are incapable of accepting such information and will use the most ridiculous arguments and Biblical quotes to justify and cling to their belief."

Toddler tactics as per those seen from those who've just learned Santa Claus doesn't really deliver toys to all the good girls and boys.  That's what I find the most horrifying-the mental level of those tactics.

"Presumably their life would be meaningless without God, a fact I find a little sad since it demonstrates how little they think of themselves and their abilities."

Their meager existence is less meaningless with their deity. 

Being very charitable, what if their 'purpose' was, as an infant, puking on someone to distract someone else for a moment.

The purpose of their life was fulfilled at the very beginning of life.  Should they then die since there's no further use for them?

I've asked theists this many times.  I've never gotten a reply.

8. profile image52
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

The Creator-God Allah YHWH does exist; so there is no "if"; the valid question is if we exist.

1. chubatemjen profile image61
      chubatemjenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Amie..you raised a good question..to take away heroine from a junkie isn't the same of God being invalidated..Matter of faith and belief goes much more than tangible objects or even mental states that are transitory in nature.
      As such it forms an inseparable aspect of your life..the Bread of Life for Christians....Brahman of Hindus... etc..It is in fact the inherent subtle force .   
      One need to be spiritual.

1. profile image0

WHY does one need to be spirtual? There are plenty of perfectly happy non-spiritual people in the world. I'm very spiritual, but I'm not religious, but I would still be able to have a good life without being spiritual.

2. profile image58

Solipsism.

9. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

I have a very good friend who is religious. We are best friends, old school buddies. I don't believe in any higher being. We have fun debating the whole god thing, it's all good.

Anyway I once said he must be very religious and very loyal to it since he goes to church all the time.

He replied that he does not go because he's so loyal, he goes because he NEEDS to hear what the church says. He goes because he needs to know there is a god looking over him.

He said he could not imagine thinking that everything is just up to him, that he controls everything in his life. He can't go through life thinking that it's all up to him, nothing more.

He needs to believe in something, anything, to help him get through life. God or no god, he needs one, see? So prove or no prove, people like him will still believe in a higher form.

I'm fine with that, we all need something. That's why I don't debate this crap. If you need to believe in a higher being, go for it. It helps you in life, so who am I to take that away?

So in answer to your question, they already go on believing anyway, right now, something, anything to help them live. As we all do in our own way.

I believe I need to get me a Dunkin Dougnuts coffee right now to get me through the day!! big_smile

1. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What would be interesting to know is the reason why he believes he needs to believe? Perhaps, it is the very religion he follows that created the psychological need for him to believe in the first place? Food for his thought. smile

1. profile image58

BINGO!  In the main, such a need is deliberately and with malice aforethought created in the defenseless mind.

I can't recall who the Bishop or Cardinal who's said to have stated; "Give us a child before he is seven and he will not stray from the path we put him on."

2. profile image0

I can understand that. It's not every man who is capable of surviving without a crutch of some sort, in fact, very few can. Even those who claim to be atheists have some sort of crutch...money, power, fame....whatever.

1. profile image58

All an atheist is is a person who isn't a theist.  Theists are atheist with regard to all other deity(ies) but theirs.

I lack belief in deity constructs.  That and pocket change will get me a cup of coffee.  [shrug]

3. profile image58

Kudos to your friend, Bill.  He knows himself.  He knows what he needs and why he needs it.

I would indicate he's a very wise man, and you're welcome to pass that along to him.

Regards,

10. pisean282311 profile image63
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

would it destroy my life.No..i dont believe in god as described by religions...but i believe even if someone discovers that there is no god with proper proof, it must not be made public...it would be dangerous thing to do that...

1. profile image58

I've heard many Xians indicate if they weren't restrained by the threat of Hell they'd be out, raping, murdering, pillaging, thieving, among all sorts of unsavory enterprises.

So many cannot be unobserved or 'off leash.'

11. alternate poet profile image67
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

If  a god rolled up dying and told the religionists as it rolled over just " I am dead" they would spend the next thousand years telling us what it really meant.

lol

2. aguasilver profile image70

Funny that....you just quoted some scripture!

Revelation 20:4-6 (Amplified Bible)

Then I saw thrones, and sitting on them were those to whom authority to act as judges and to pass sentence was entrusted. Also I saw the souls of those who had been slain with axes [beheaded] for their witnessing to Jesus and [for preaching and testifying] for the Word of God, and who had refused to pay homage to the beast or his statue and had not accepted his mark or permitted it to be stamped on their foreheads or on their hands. And they lived again and ruled with Christ (the Messiah) a thousand years.

The remainder of the dead were not restored to life again until the thousand years were completed.

This is the first resurrection.

Blessed (happy,to be envied) and holy (spiritually whole, of unimpaired innocence and proved virtue) is the person who takes part (shares) in the first resurrection!

Over them the second death exerts no power or authority, but they shall be ministers of God and of Christ (the Messiah), and they shall rule along with Him a thousand years.

Come soon Lord Jesus!

smilesmilesmile

yes!! Praise God!

1. libby101a profile image60
          libby101aposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Double Yes!!!

1. marty1968 profile image60
            marty1968posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Amen and Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. profile image58

He's been breathing hard for two millennia!  Talk about a terminal case of blue balls.

12. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

It is not possible to prove any non-existence. smile

1. BDazzler profile image78
      BDazzlerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Misha, I thought I already proved to you that I don't exist and neither do you.  Why are you contradicting that? tongue

13. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Just for fun David, just for fun. In fact, if I don't exist, I can't contradict anything. wink

1. BDazzler profile image78
      BDazzlerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's a very good point, Misha, I'm sorry I contradicted you smile

14. profile image52
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

The Creator-God Allah YHWH does exist; so there is no "if"; the valid question is if we exist.

15. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

No it wouldn't and I'm (very) spiritual.
    I would just adapt
    and have as much fun as I could!

1. profile image58

How so {if I may ask}?  {curiosity}

16. Diane Inside profile image72
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

If there was no God then I guess I would stop trying to be nice to people who are not nice to me. Stop trying to do the right thing, even though there are those who are preditors, I still try to be nice and respectful. But if there is no accountability then why bother being nice.

well actually without accountability if one is nice , it makes one realize true self...it is great to be nice without motivation of heaven ,being in good books of any god or in fear in getting hell for eternity..if one is nice irrespective of what he/she gets that manifests the humanness and is in fact much better than being nice with purpose of something...

1. Diane Inside profile image72
        Diane Insideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

no there is no reward in being nice to go to heaven, When I am nice it is because I believe we should do unto others as we would have them do unto us, right. 

Well, if someone is not nice, but down right mean, should I turn the other cheek, when there is no accountability.  No!  I wouldn't turn the other cheek, and would put that person in his place.

But because I believe that one should turn the other cheek and not lash out at every unfortunate person who comes my way who is not nice, I feel that I am trying to be better than my instincts tell me to be. Because that is what God would want me to do.

If there were no God then what would it matter, Mind you I wouldn't be mean just to be mean, but at the same time, I would not make the effort to be nice when others make it hard to do so.

i got your point of view..thanks for sharing...

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
        schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't buy that.

it is not for buying..it is paramount of humaness..

any person doing good without fear of hell or heaven..without being concerned whether there is god or not is highest level of what human can reach..since humans are self interested being...doing good for being in good books or heaven or hell is easy and natural than doing good for sake of doing good...latter part is difficult ...but if implemented it woudl bring human to next level...

17. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

You know, I know at least one person who has told me (and they are agnostic or atheist) that they are unhappy in life because they didn't choose to be born.
    that if they came out of a "rich womb" life would have been better.
    so your perspective is obviously a factor in your happiness.
    What's wrong in beliving there's a better life in Heaven?

am not saying there is anything wrong..it is perfect and infact i may say quite natural way of thinking...concept of heaven does exist much before all organized religion came into being...so humans think that way and since it works it is nice way too...

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
        schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

well that was unexpected smile

18. Diane Inside profile image72

It amazes me that unbelievers talk so much of morales and values.
    It is actually comical.

Why is that? We are morally superior. This is obvious.

Yes the fact that you say that is highly comical. lol

You would not understand, obviously. You are blinded by your beliefs. So sad. sad

It just seems to me that predators have no morals. If you are not a predator, why do you seek out religious forums to comment in. If not to attack, anyone who has any belief at all.  It seems to me if you are so moral, you would leave us little peasants alone, since we are to ignorant to understand what the heck you might be talking about.

I mean please, we are beneath you, why would you bother.

Why? An attempt to educate in order to prevent the countless conflicts and wars caused by the religious. Sorry you are incapable of understanding true morality, but I must try.  So sad. sad

Are you preying for Jesus to come back and force us to our knees as well?

Get off your High Horse, Mark.

You are no better than anybody else. Sorry to burst your bubble, but facts are facts.

@diane attacking someone on forum is different thing and taking someone's life is different thing..name one atheist which killed masses for no god theme?...while religion has killed and would kill in future too in name of someone whom they call full of love ...history is filled by politics and religion killing maximum people...so religion and politics are last entities which can preach morality...i am not saying that people following religion are not moral..far from it...most are great people..no doubt about it...but religion as entity has no grounds to call for morality....

Pol Pot, Stalin, Mao, Lenin..... need more?

Between them they killed 75 million folk.

2. marty1968 profile image60

Mark it may be a laughing matter to you now but when the day comes and you are on your knees you will say to yourself "they tried to tell me and I was too stubborn to listen" My friend Im afraid your heart has been hardened just as Pharoahs was when God led the children away from bondage. And My friend, You WILL be on your knees cause no man is worthy to stand in God's presence

why are you deciding on someone's worthiness?

2. Mark Knowles profile image58

Please stop threatening me with your invisible super being. And you wonder why you cause so much ill will? You are not my friend. My friends do not shove their ridiculous beliefs down my throat with threats.

How offensive it is that you feel the need to threaten in god's name. Does it make you feel powerful?

1. marty1968 profile image60

Thats no threat. Its a promise

3. profile image58

[sigh]  There it is-the same old empty threat.

'Astonishing' how Xians natter the same drivel while ignoring all the older religions who's deity promises the same eternal and dire consequences.

2. Woman Of Courage profile image61

Mark, you think you are morally superior than God also don't you?

1. profile image58

Demonstrably so.  First, Mark can be demonstrated to exist.

Secondly, he's never threatened anyone with eternal torture where the 'fire dieth not and the worm never turns.'

God has exist before the creation of this world. Secondly, that's not a threat, it's a warning from God's word in the bible. God give everyone a choice to go to heaven or hell. Mark will never be morally superior above God, and that's a fact.

1. Jerami profile image58

Yes !  Like if you tell your child; "don't put your hand in the fire cause it will burn your skin!"   Is not a threat ! 
                  It is a warning.    AND    "Don't drive down that road in the car that you are driving!   You are going to get stuck".

It isn't a threat  but a warning!

As they Say !   A word to the wise is sufficient!

And instead of saying  ....I told ya so!  ...
              Now Ya Know sounds much nicer.

Jerami, nicely stated! It's a shame how someone constantly tries to make God look evil. God loves each and everyone of us.

YEP!   Some people will always find something that THEY  in Their infinate wisdom;  is going to think,  "That Ain't  right"

2. Beelzedad profile image58

No, it is indeed a threat. A warning would be a message of a danger. A threat is where there is an intention to inflict harm.

Making a choice to go to heaven or hell is a threat, not a warning. If it was just a warning, then one should have the capacity to avoid both heaven and hell. smile

If you had designed the world that is the way it would be?

Can YOU really do that?

1. Beelzedad profile image58

I would never have designed a world in which threats of eternal damnation existed for those who simply wished to use their brains. smile

So you support anarchy??

2. Woman Of Courage profile image61

Beelzedad, You are a right! a warning is a message of danger. The bible warns us about hell, not threaten. God does not have a intention to inflict harm, so therefore it's not a threat. I am sure you will found a way to rebel again. Take care

2. pisean282311 profile image63

because morality and religion seems to be in symmetry but actually both are two different things..one may be religious and morally upright as well as morally corrupt..in same way being morally upright doesnot require being religious at all...every one does have basic sense of morality which is in built ,one doesnot need conditioning of religion for it...

countries sitting right at top on moral index are infact non religious countries where majority have filled spiritual but not religious box...

Which ones would that be?

quiet a few but for e.g. - sweden...According to different studies, between 46% and 85% of Swedes do not believe in God...

Newzealand - Christianity is the predominant religion in New Zealand, held by 55.6% of the population, a decrease from 60.6% at the 2001 census. Another 34.7% indicated that they had no religion, up from 29.6% in 2001

Finland -The second largest group - and a rather quickly growing one - of 17.7% of the population has no religious affiliation.

In various countries religion is quickly eroding but integrity and morality aren't..simple example that two are different things...

My only worry is eroding of one religion and second filling the vacuum is not the answer though...

Moral values without religion controlling lives is ideal evolution according to me..I dont mind people being religious as long as it remains private matter and has nothing to do with politics and public domain...

1. profile image0

Historically, religion has been used for politics, to control people

agreed..religion is for controlling people and using masses to achieve goals...goals vary from finances to power to stay influential.

1. profile image0

I've just been reading how the bible is all code for astrology.  Very interesting. 
                http://members.cox.net/deleyd/religion/david16.html
                The leaders of the church knew the code, and could "predict" the best times for planting and harvest etc by stargazing

2. profile image58

pisean282311 posted;

"Moral values without religion controlling lives is ideal evolution according to me..I dont mind people being religious as long as it remains private matter and has nothing to do with politics and public domain..."

Exactly.  It being a private matter is ordered by Jesus which is generally ignored by his 'followers.'

19. Diane Inside profile image72

No you give religion to much power and people no credit.  Religion is only a belief system, whatever belief that may be.  People who kill in the name of religion only use that as an excuse. Therefore it is not the religion that does anything it is the people who decide to kill people.

Like I said intolerace to other beliefs and down right greed that causes war.

Not all followers of any religion believe they should not be tolerant, it is a select few who hold those beliefs.

well you are right but select few only matter actually..it is select few who make religion , it is select few who direct masses and it is select few who decide...general people follow with belief they are born with or take option which they think is best...but options have already been decided by select few...

Like I said you give people no credit.  To decide for themselves, what they want, or believe.

well i give all credit to humans only...i give none of credit to god...all credit is for humans who defied nature ...religion too is human's creation and has been wonderful in directing human race..i give credit to all those who came up with these idea..though i dont like religion because of its outdated concepts and dangerous possibilities , i do give religion credit for contributing in human evolution..without religion social order would have been difficult think to achieve...marriage , do good , fear god all worked and helped humans evolve...for me it is all humans , all the way ,right from 0.2 million years....

coming to what people believe..well my saying anything wont change what people believe...would it?..people think they decide what they belief but that is possible only if all religions are taught since childhood..as well as atheism is taught..then people have choice...how can one decide when one is not given option?

okay good we agree it is people who decide.

20. CYBERSUPE profile image61
    CYBERSUPEposted 13 years ago

God Bless America, where we are free to worship whomever we want. In God we trust, seems to in all our pockets.

21. LeslieAdrienne profile image71
    LeslieAdrienneposted 13 years ago

You asked, "Or would they refuse to believe it, and keep worshiping God anyway?"

This would be me......

1. profile image58

Which is your prerogative.  smile

Cheers

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)