Can anyone define what a Christian is?

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (160 posts)
  1. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

So many times, a child will come up to me and explain that their religion is Christianity. Other times, it is an adult who makes that statement to me.  However, when I ask them to explain what a Christain is, they cannot.  When I ask what the differences is between the Christain religions are, they cannot.  Can you?

1. Joy56 profile image67
      Joy56posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Christianity is not necessary a religion.  As far as i understand.  Christianity is a belief in Christ.  There are hundreds of religions that believe in Christ, though sadly, there is always somewhere where they disagree.  I wish all christianity could unite, it would be wonderful

1. Anesidora profile image61
        Anesidoraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, it's much better when they squabble amongst themselves.

1. J.R. Smith profile image58
          J.R. Smithposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A christian is simply a gentile who believes in Christ. As for baptist,methodist,zionist,etc. those are christians who focus on different aspects of christianity. who knows what they all mean. Some can drink,etc.Seems like people have re-defined christ to meet their own needs. It's only a matter of time till we have a lemon-scented,Organically grown,politically correct Jesus with no transient fats.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
            couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

With respect, Smith, Christianity is not limited to Gentiles.  Having said that, a Christian is simply someone who believes Jesus is the Christ, the Messiah, the Lamb of God, the Saviour of humanity from sin of their own making.

The different sects have come from different interpretations of the Bible.  As Joy stated, they disagree on the meaning of the writings the same way the U.S. Supreme Court Justices disagree on the interpretation of the Constitution, which was written with a broad stroke.  It is not codified law, but meant to be interpreted. 
            The Christian Bible is similar in that it has its laws, but it also has guidelines.  This is where interpretations differ.

Anesidora - why is it much better when they squabble amongst themselves?

Doesn't gentile mean "not jew?"

Yes, but Jews who become Christians are not considered Gentiles.

P.S. - Isn't Jesus lemon-scented and organically grown?  Well, I'll be darned.

LOL. I guess I should have stated it was an open door for gentiles. I know he wouldn't approve of religion. Lemon-scented or not, He's gonna be mad!

1. hanging out profile image59
                    hanging outposted 13 years agoin reply to this

a gentile is anybody NOT jewish. I am a gentile because i am not jewish. It was a term to refer to pagans. A pagan being anybody not of the jewish faith.

2. profile image51
            paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And Jesus was not sent to the gentiles

2. profile image51

Hi friend Joy56

I also wish that the Christianity should unite into one; but that is only possible if the real creeds of Jesus are believed in leaving all that Paul mythically invented and ascribed to Jesus. It is the mischief of Paul and the Church that has created differences among the christians and they are now 32000+ denominations of them.

Now that the Promised Messiah 1835-1908 has come; the Christians have a chance to unite under his banner; if they have ears to hear and eyes to see.

I love Jesus and Mary as mentioned in Quran.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

2. kess profile image60
      kessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

a christian is one who follows the christ the image.
      but since there are many images to this christ, you would find them divided according to the images which they follow .

there is one christ and he is the author of all reality and is all reality and not merely the image of it..

3. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

christians believe in jesus christ as their "saviour".  There is squabbling between different christians about interpretion of bible & who is a "real" christian etc

1. profile image51

How could Jesus be the savior of the Christians? He could not save himself from a cursed death on cross, as per Bible. Did he?

Satan already tried that trick, paarsurrey.  It helps sometimes if you, as an Ahmadi Peaceful Muslim, would put into effect the love of your messiah and stop posing provocative slights to the Christian faith.  I understand if you want people to see your side but that is not the way to do it.

I am peaceful eternal intelligence.

2. dutchman1951 profile image60
          dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Paar, if you were truly a peace loving Muslim you would not question another's faith, you would accept the person, and understand that they believe in God and thats ok.

Your actions show so much different than your words. You appear as phony as the Cult leader you follow, as he appears phony to the Muslim world. 

Islam will not even accept your belief as a valid Denomination, they think it treason and warn of it?  Yet you preach it..?  Amazing...

1. Stump Parrish profile image60
            Stump Parrishposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Dutch, isn't the flip side of your statement ...questioning someone's faith is an act of violence? The most peace loving people I know are the ones who question things the most. Asking questions has nothing to do with violence or the peacefulness of an individual. Just an innocent bystander's observation.

1. profile image51
              1. lcg4jc profile image72
                lcg4jcposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Simply answering the original question.

Can anyone define what a Christian is?

Jesus never referred to His followers as an inanimate object.
                Therefore the question asked would not refer to what is a Christian but who is a Christian.

Furthermore, the term Christian began to be used in the city of Antioch and it was used in a negative way. It isn't the term Jesus used when describing His followers.

With that said, if you want to know who is a follower or believer in Jesus Christ? Then that would be simple to explain.

A follower of Jesus Christ is one who subscribes to the teachings of Jesus and adhere's to his ways. They are Jesus' servant and He is their Master and Lord. A follower of Jesus strives to be imitators of Christ. Hence becoming Christ-like is the primary goal of a follower of Christ.
                In a more theological sense, followers of Jesus are representatives of Christ Jesus on earth. They are His ambassadors with the main goal and purpose of reflecting His character, His persona, His teachings, His standards and His precepts to the world.

Blessings to you for asking a sincere question. May this simple answer uplift and exhort you on your quest in answering the question at hand. smile

1. profile image51

How do you know the teachings and deeds of Jesus? Bible does not present them correctly.

1. lcg4jc profile image72
                    lcg4jcposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is your opinion and belief.

You are not a follower of Christ and His teachings.

Every follower of Christ understands that the gospels are all written by personal eyewitnesses of Jesus' life death and resurrection.

Every follower of Jesus also knows that the writings of historians at the time of Jesus' earthly ministry have been documented in various places.

The most popular of these historians is Josephus (a Jewish historian)

Jesus' teachings are not hidden, esoterical, or mysterious.

His teachings are based on two major commandments.

Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength.
                    Love your neighbor as yourself.

The Golden Rule for a follower of Jesus is: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

These are Jesus' teachings, His words, His acts and His deeds.

You obviously are not a follower of Jesus so you are skeptical to all that is written about Him in the Holy Scriptures. First the prophetic Messianic promise found in the Hebrew Bible and the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ written in the New Testament of the Holy Bible.

Your faith I understand does not believe anything else other than what is found in the Quran.

I can respect that, and I would greatly appreciate it if you would respect the beliefs of others and their choices.

I agree to disagree with you on the topic of my faith. I respect your God given ability to choose what you believe, now kindly do the same in return.

Thank you and may God bless you in your endeavor to find the Truth.

4. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Being a Christian is like having fingerprints, no two beliefs will ever be the same. We see a complete lack of agreement on believers interpretation of not only their scriptures but whatever it was their indoctrination provided them, which is little more than a version of "Chinese Whispers", that which has been handed down to them by their parents and peers.

In other words, it doesn't come down to the sects of Christianity, it all boils down to each individuals personal belief system, which often has nothing to do with the religion itself and more to do with what they really want to believe. smile

I think rather that belief is interpreted according to peoples individual libraries and i believe that the scenario is also likened to a large puzzle in which some people are working on this section over here and some on that section over there. When questions are asked some ppl hasten to answer and others realise they have never worked on that part of the puzzle and perhaps they learn a new thing, or by contributing they teach others a new thing. This is wonderful and exclusive only to christians in that atheists can never edify the body of christ by positive input neither can they ever give us a piece of the puzzle or learn a new thing apparently. sad really.
        The second rebuttle on your once again negative and slightly incorrect inference of your sliding truth. Is libraries. When i say to you paris is beautiful in the summer! I see a park with a statue of a man on a horse and people laughing in bright sunshine. Perhaps you see a clear sky and the Eiffel tower. Libraries. I have a library of Christian images, so does peter paul and mary, etc. You also have a library with few images of christianity which are most likely wrong images, but as you may be able to realise by now that when i call up a scenario and you interpret it or mary or paul we all use the images we are familiar with. Which is fine. Some are accurate and yours completely wrong and some of ours wrong also, but they are on the puzzle over there and not this section here, so their library has old images in it  and not the updated images, which eventually, hopefully the images will update or be changed, there is no sin in being wrong, sometimes it is humbling.

1. Beelzedad profile image59

Yes, it's all about what people want to believe.

I have no images of Christianity that have not already been provided by Christians themselves. The images of witch-burnings, Crusades and the Inquisition are readily available for all to see. smile

1. Jim Hunter profile image60
            Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"I have no images of Christianity that have not already been provided by Christians themselves. The images of witch-burnings, Crusades and the Inquisition are readily available for all to see."

You need to get a more recent history book.

We haven't burned a Witch in like 250 years.

And she didn't taste like chicken.

How about the Holocaust or Northern Ireland or the burning of blacks on a cross in the 50's? Is that recent enough? smile

You should cancel your internet service and send that money in to feed the hungry.

Remember, every little bit helps.

Considering that your god does nothing but find jobs and send kids to Disneyland, that is one of the only options left open. smile

Get after it then.

2. Stump Parrish profile image60

You are correct, there's been another volcano and tsunami, they desperately need another load of solar powered bibles asap.

2. Stump Parrish profile image60

This is true but at least history did provide us with the whole Save the Lions, Donate a Christian food drive series of art for us to enjoy.

5. outrider2 profile image40
      outrider2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like you are delibertly trying to condecend to people and they don't like it. Christians believe Jesus came to earth to die for our sins. Catholics believe in authority of bible and church teachings. Protestants focus mainly on the bible.

6. wilmiers77 profile image60
      wilmiers77posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Beth100, Christianity is following Jesus. I take it that you meant what is the differences between denominations. If so, each places emphazis on a core of scripture. Holy churches places emphazis on scripture in Acts on the day of Penecost. Penecostals similarity is obvious. Baptist teach scriptures validating God and His Son, Jesus, and the Word Of God,  and their authority...ect.

7. profile image57
      dawned-onposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A Christian is someone who believes that Jesus Christ is the Savior of mankind and follows the example that Jesus Christ set for us throughout his life

8. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

(Christ-ian)  one who believes in the death and resurection of Jesus Christ by faith, and has submitted themselves to  the Lord God as his or her's Lord and Master.

the differences in the the Denominations are different Interpretations of the Bible.

1. profile image51

This definition does not fit on Jesus even; he neither believed his death on Cross nor his resurrection; the Creator-God Allah YHWH saved him and he secretly went to India.

Your definition of a Christians is therefore erroneous as it does not fit on Jesus even.

May be you are defining followers of Paul and the Church; not followers of Jesus; of course you are free to do it.

2. Beth100 profile image69

Okay, this is what I had always thought.  But...

why then when asked which sect they belong to, they exclaim (like I'm totally out to lunch) that they already told me -- they are Christain.

Why can they not tell me if they are United, Methodist, Orthodox etc.??  Do they not teach this or explain this to their congregation??

1. profile image0
      china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is because the original point of being a christian has been lost to the self promotion of people.  I can really empathise with your question, I really know my non-religion from an understanding of catholicism and the schisms that followed.  When arguing any point with almost any christian or  anyotherism they do not know anything about the thinking behind their own version of a smiley face with forked tongue.

Beth100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ah, good to see you!  That's what I was beginning to believe with many of them.  Especially when I ask them what the differences are between the sects.  They cannot answer though they insist their "brand" is better than the one down the street.

I just asked this question of a 15 year old, and she became extremely irritated and angry that I wouldn't accept the Christian reply.  I was not goading her, just trying to see if she really understood what she was suppose to come to undertand after 13 years of church going. 

@ BailyBear -- That's the simple answer.  I'm in it for more depth -- why not state I'm Methodist or Roman Catholic or whatever?  Why a blanket answer??

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
          Barbara Kayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is because a real Bible believing Christian is just a Christian. When we lived in one town I went to a Baptist church because it was a good teaching Bible believing church. We then moved and I no longer go to a Baptist church but an entirely different denomination that is also a good Bible teaching church.

I am not a Baptist, Methodist etc because if I went to any denominational church and they didn't teach the Bible, I would go to another church.

I am a Christian, not a Baptist, not a Methodist, but just a Christian.

1. profile image51

Sorry.

A Bible believing cannot be a Christian; as Jesus never authored Bible; he did not approve the writings of the Bible. Did he?

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
              Barbara Kayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

He quoted the Old Testament many times. The Old Testament points to his coming and the New Testament is about him, his life and his teachings.

2. wilmiers77 profile image60

paarsurrey, the bible is Jesus' dialogue. He profoundly stated to carry His message to the world. The Old Testament is still good for teaching and discourse, but doesn't have Jesus, our Savior, Who gets us to heaven. The Old testament apllies to the daily enteractions of man more than the New Testament...man is running behind.

2. profile image51

Hi friend  Beth100

I agree with you.

I love Jesus and Mary as mentioned in Quran

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

3. couturepopcafe profile image60

Beth - with respect, I think you did intend to provoke the 15 y. girl.  If you really wanted to learn, you would go to the ministers of the different sects.  It sounds like you're goading people just to prove your own point.  I'm not saying you're wrong to realize most people can't differentiate between the sects, but it's simply because they don't know about them and don't care to.  I know about a few, but not much about any of them except the one I was raised in.  Why should anyone know about another unless it is something that interests them?  Many people are not book smart and don't know what the word sect means, especially the 15 y.   So you've had several answers and you finally agree with the one which was the one you were waiting to hear.  You're just like the rest of us, choosing the one you want to hear.

2. duffsmom profile image59
        duffsmomposted 13 years agoin reply to this

China Man

Why do non-believers and people who dislike (hate) Christianity hang out in a religious forum?

3. Claudin_Dayo profile image60
    Claudin_Dayoposted 13 years ago

To put it in simple words being a Christian means one is a follower of Christ.. smile

4. Beth100 profile image69

Yea, I got that part.  smile  Always understood that part.  But why can't one answer with the sect or type of religion that one follows?  Saying that you're Christian is like saying you're human.  It's too general.  Why can't it be narrowed down?

1. profile image0

maybe to give the impression that the "body of christ" is not so fragmented? 
      To add to the confusion, ku klux klan, mormons, jehovah witnesses all arose out of christianity too

hmmm... I didn't know that part of the history of things.  Proves how dangerous power of one over others based on a belief can be. 

Are they told that the answer should be a blanket answer?  Or is this just something that they come up on their own -- self deduction or simply lead to say?

I know, for me, I never gave a blanket answer to any question.  I always answered it with a specific answer, no matter the question.  Perhaps I'm just different. hmm

1. profile image0

yeah, I didn't know until recently either - been reading up on history etc.  I did know that the JW bible is very similar to christian bibles (as many diff interpretations)

1. Joy56 profile image67
            Joy56posted 13 years agoin reply to this

what is a JW bible

1. profile image0

I guess that would be a Jehovah Witness bible ?

1. profile image0

yep, I recall reading that the JW bible is near identical to the christian bible, but has a few words changed here and there to change the meaning (and therefore their doctrine)

1. mom101 profile image61
                  mom101posted 13 years agoin reply to this

bb, jw bible is quiet different than the standard kjv bible.

In English, we learn that inserting a comma, or placing a period, or adding caps to words affect  the meaning of the  sentence. 

Choosing not to offend anyone, I will simply say this:  I have done some major research on this particular group. Pros (for) and cons (against). I, from the bottom of my heart BEG anyone that is thinking about joining ANY denomination to research, research, research. and then research some more.

Some denominations are extremly careful, smart as how they present their doctrine.

Here is a general rule of thumb I tell others who are looking for the best denomination for them.   The Bible, as it is written, is a good rule book to follow. The rules in it are few, they are easily understood, and not hard to follow, the last rule being the Golden Rule. All churches have their own set of "bylaws" which form their doctorine. These bylaws were not written to include the present day membership. They were written many years ago. Search, research and UNDERSTAND each of their bylaws BEFORE you join any denomination.

There is no perfect denomination and it is my understandng that ALL churches  are required (by the gov)  to establish bylaws.

2. hanging out profile image59

I don't see where bailey gets the kkk rising from christianity. As far as i know: Historians generally see the KKK as part of the postwar violence related not only to the high number of veterans in the population, but also to their effort to control the dramatically changed social situation by using extrajudicial means to restore white supremacy around 1865 in america. The mormons have their own book and are not considered christians at all, jehovahs witness have their own book and are not considered christians either. hmmmm.
        Christian means to be christ like,  Acts 11:26 is the first recorded use of the word. To me it means a goal. The goal is to be like christ, when in truth, after justification, comes the long and lengthy sanctification process and then glorification sometime in the future. 'Child of God' is more precise. To call oneself a christian is to shove oneself into the library of associations which others conjure up.
        I would call a christian: one who is trying to achieve christ (Jesus) likeness. Its very hard to define beyond that, you see christians are in a state of transformation and learning from the day they accept jesus as Lord. The best definition is vague at its best. A lot of religions are tucked up under the banner of christianity but if they are not jesus centered, like the kkk for example they are in fact not christians.
        And why people say they are when they are not christian is because its an easy reply. For a catholic to admit they are not christian is perchance a rarity. Often people parrot what they are taught and do not examine the teachings to find out the truth.
        hope this helped.

1. profile image0

I guess your fuzzy description would be about right in many ways.  But the KKK were based in christianity, those horrendous photos of negroes hanging in the trees were invariably around the church porch.

that doesn't prove a root. It may have been part of the disquise of religiosity but not that kkk bloomed out of christendom. The kkk were feared and hated and hid out like refugees and behind masks. The church was certainly not their club house.

2. profile image0

I'm not sure how reliable the sources were, but I read in several places that kkk was an offshoot that arose in america from christianity (and even called themselves christians).  That was a surprising find for me.  Whether it's 100% accurate or not, I can't say, but I'd be interested in knowing

in a time when people were BORN as christian, i.e roman catholic, catholic, anglican etc... its not appropriate to say that they were christianS.  Thats kind of like saying that constantine was Christian, he had his troops baptized and still worshiped the sUn and cohorted with pagan ceremonies. The problem i have with violent actions under the guise of christianity, is, that it is a lie and a deception, even strong delusion. To deliberately go against the peaceful ways of jesus christ is to ignore an important part or a basic principle of what makes a christian, Christ-like. There is strong evidence to support that the jesuits have their origins in masonry, catholicism too, and even islam, but we say, oh christians. Hort and westcott the translators behind the NIV bible were 33 degree masons and we see a lot of parallels between the aforementioned groups and the stepped down divinity of jesus christ in the NIV.
            The kkk would more likely have been a political response to the black situation in white america, even a racist movement, which if i were asked by them if they were christian, i would say no.. then run! lol.. maybe run first then yell no. From the quick searching i did the most common info I could find was written previously and it seemed to come across as political. I am sure the guise of christian is and has been a favorite way to hide corruptness. just sayin and yet i know the Inquisition, sucked big time and was headed by catholicism. Truly sad, yet i would not blame the christians for this atrocity. Any truth or light shed would indeed be interesting to know, although i can live without it, lol.

3. pisean282311 profile image62
          pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

kkk is offshoot of christianity...they called themselves as Christians...

I call myself christian and i am
            my neighbor calls himself christian but he isn`t

It doesn`t matter what we call ourselves, the truth is what matters.

2. profile image51

Since the christians don't believe what Jesus used to believe or what Mary believed; it would be appropriate for the Christians to say like they are Catholic or Protestant of JW or Mormon. Christianity is a vague term; does not define one properly. Why should they be ashamed of calling themselves Catholics or Protestants; if they actually belong to these religions? Why do they hide under Christianity; when they have nothing common with Jesus?

3. aware profile image66
      awareposted 13 years ago

one of many .who think they know.weather or not they do is yet to be seen

4. aka-dj profile image66
      aka-djposted 13 years ago

Christians originally were a "sect" of the Jewish religion.
      That's what they were seen as, at any rate.
      It was later in Antioch, that (non-believers) called them Chtristians. So, it was an externally applied label, not a self label.
      This was done because, for all intents and purposes, their lives were "Crist-like". They spoke of the Message that Jesus brought, in similar manner as He did.
      These early believers were calling themselves as followers of "the way".
      Any other labels are unfitting, IE Methodist, Baptist, ..or whatever. That's all a relatively recent splintering.

Methodist does not = christian
      Baptist does not = christian
      (Add any other denomination/sect you like to this list)

Christian can be any of the above, (if they choose to be part of such groups)

Also, if a Baptist (christian) decides to attend a Methodist church, what is he/she?

Christian?

5. Rishy Rich profile image72
      Rishy Richposted 13 years ago

The definition of a Christian is simple: Anyone who believes in Christ & his teachings is a Christian. However, such simplicity is vague & thus confirming the definition as FLAWED. For example, Muslims also believe in Christ & his teachings, but we dont consider them as Christians, do we? Because Muslims also believe that there were many other saviors like Christ & Christ' teachings are not properly preserved in the Bible, hence we should follow Quran.

A definition has to be specific, vague ones are prone to confusion.

1. profile image51

I agree with you here

2. couturepopcafe profile image60

Rishy - if you add "as the Christ" to your definition it is more correct and therefore, though simplistic, not flawed.  Christians believe Jesus is the Christ, Muslims don't though they believe his teachings were worthy.  Muslim's don't believe there are many other saviours, as far as I know.  They believe in Mohammed the prophet as the Messiah, but not Jesus.

1. Rishy Rich profile image72
          Rishy Richposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Then you dont know Islam. They believe in Abraham, Moses, Jesus & all other saviors. But Muhammad is considered as the greatest among them.
          What I have stated is correct. You should study Islam before commenting on that.

3. wilmiers77 profile image60

The Spirit of God is very clear to whom it teaches. Jesus is the Son Of God, and the Holy Spirit testifies of Jesus. To Him who knows and hears the Spirit Of Truth knows. You must know the Holy Spirit of God?

6. christiansister profile image60
      christiansisterposted 13 years ago

Christianity is for the most part is a misunderstood concept. Because sadly many of the actions we see in this world by Christians is so contrary to what Christ actually did, and not many lives portray his attributes.

Just like in Islam and Judeaism, there are different variations of doctrines and precepts to follow. And sadly there is the terrorist element also. It is so misunderstood what means to be a Christian.

Christians are called to always be forgiving, never offending, peace seeking, long suffering, willing to lend a hand (or anything else you may have that someone needs), Loving, Kind, Gentle, Patient, compassionate, considerate and truthful.

But the most important part about being a Christian is to realize our human inability to always be the things above and we put or Faith in the fact that Jesus was all these things and he said that If we claim his life for ourselves that we will be counted worthy and he will share the rewards of his life with us. And we are to spread the Good News.

Many people refer to this as the Gospel. To me the Gospel is different. It is the doctrines and rules that a certain sect adapts for their lives and the people who live as they do.

While the Good News is The fact that Jesus fulfilled the Law and paid the ransom for our shortcomings. Satan could no longer hold mankind captive to the Law.

Unfortunately, Christians have not learned the attributes of Christ, or they have but they only apply them when they are around people like themselves. They don't love like Christ loved.

Being a Christian is a way of living out your life. How you treat people, how caring you are (even to strangers and enemies), And most of all believing that because we cannot humanly do these things perfectly all the time, we claim that Jesus did and He said that His reward, He would share with us.

1. profile image51

I pray to the Creator-God Allah YHWH that the Christians believe like Jesus and Mary believed in and they do what they both did.

I like such Christians

2. couturepopcafe profile image60

Christiansister - with respect, I thought the Gospels of Christ were written and final.  How do you 'adapt' doctrine and rules to fit your life?  It should be the other way around.

7. Beth100 profile image69

hmmm...we seem to have quite an array of answers here.  All valid and intriguing.

If I am to understand this, then Judaism is the foundation of religion, whereby Christianity is a branch that began with a different interpretation of the written word.  From there, we now have 32,000 denominations -- all claiming to be Christian. 

Beelzedad -- your statement makes sense to me, but what about those who are church going and listen to their minister/preacher or leader?  Is it not the responsibility of the person behind the pulpit to teach the teachings to his followers?  If so, why is it that we only know what is passed on to us from our parents?  Technically, if one attends church regularly, listens, interprets and applies those teachings, then one should be following the word.  Am I correct?

If it is true that it boils down to what one wants to interpret, then why all the different denominations?  Why a church? 

So, when one says they are a Christian, it does not state their belief?  It only states that they are trying to live as Christ like as possible?  That means this is left open to personal interpretation.  And in turn, it means that the philosphy of that denomination may not be followed.  One could be calling oneself a Christian, yet not be one in anothers' eyes.  Correct?

1. aka-dj profile image66
        aka-djposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would say that you are pretty well on the mark.

However, it's not Christians who decide if others are or are not.
        It's His decision/judgment, for He knows the thought and the intents of the heart. We only see outwardly. Many can learn the lingo, the routines and fit right in. So, on the outside they look OK, but that does not make them TRUE.

As for why belong to a church, or denomination, it's because we are all a part of something. Like minded people gather together. I notice that even atheists support one another, even though they have different outworkings of their (lack) of faith.

The real problem comes from different groups separating themselves by claiming to be better or real or more than others.

The Bible teaches that we are ALL (together) the BODY of Christ. Paul goes to some length detailing how that relates. So, the different groups are a bit like the Body organs. Some are hands, some feet, some legs, etc, The sad thing is, that by our divisions, we make the Body dysfunctional. As the world so plainly can see, and points out.

1. profile image0

last 2 sentences very true

2. profile image51

Please quote from Jesus where he stated that Christians are his body; if they were his body then why did they runaway when Jesus was put on the Cross and nailed down there?

The Christians becoming 32000+ denominations have negated that Christians are body of Jesus; in fact they had never been.

2. Beelzedad profile image59

While the minister/preacher may indeed fortify the indoctrination of the children, it is still the parents and peers that have the most influence on them. It is the parents who take the children to the church of their choice, which is often the same church their parents took them, and so on...

If the children have questions about what the preacher/minister said, it is the parents and peers that provide most of the answers, based on what was handed down to them by their parents, and so on...

This is the cycle of childhood indoctrination, the church simply fortifies the indoctrination. smile

This makes sense.  This applies to teaching children morals and ethics and the way of life.  This, I can understand.  smile

3. couturepopcafe profile image60

Beth - with respect, not all of us only know what is passed on to us from our parents.

Quite true. The fact that many are indoctrinated as a result of what their parents and peers have taught them does not mean they agree with it. This is one of the reasons why there are so many sects of Christianity, for example. It's not about what people are supposed to believe regarding their religions, it's all what what they want to believe. smile

And what do you indoctrinate your children with. Stories of no god
            lol

Ah, I can see you aren't familiar with that term, hence are providing a fallacious argument as a result. smile

LOL that was lame.
                just answer the question

I understand you consider your question valid even when it is not. smile

8. christiansister profile image60

Very nicely put Aka Dj.

9. Beth100 profile image69

Couturepopcafe -- first, I did not provoke the girl.  She posed the question to me first, I in turn asked her back.  I answered her but she was not able to answer me.  We actually had a very good conversation after this and she had approached her minister to pose him the same question.  She, unlike many of the attendees in her church, is actually trying to understand what the teachings are about.  My question to her was to raise awareness, not to cause a conflict with her.  My purpose has succeeded, as she is more open to learning and has posed many good questions to her minister as well as to her congregation.  There is now open discussion which is helping her and others to learn what they want to learn.

I am not "waiting" for an answer to fill my needs.  I am not an uneducated person when it comes to the world, including religion.  I am trying to understand where everyone is coming from.  Some of the answers make sense, others cause question within me.  I'm searching to understand.  There is no right answer.  This question cannot be answered with one answer nor do I expect it to.

It is only a matter of time before a simple question becomes a provocative one as a result of answers that others provide.

Each person, as far as I am concerned, has a right to voice his/her interpretation.  The more I hear from others, the more I can learn and gain an understanding.

The only person goading, with due respect, is you.  Your response and pointed accusation at me is judgemental and based on your assumption of what had transpired between me and this girl.  You assumption that I am provoking others to argue in this thread is strictly from your view.  I do not see it. 

The responses I have read are straight forward.  There have not been any attacks on other religions or on other people.  Just yours in relation to paasurrey, who made a question.

10. christiansister profile image60

Beth you have misunderstood. Christianity is not a different interpretation of the word of Judeaism. It is the completion of it. The Old Testament is the same as the Torah, but it is the Beginning of a new Testament.

This Testament claims that the law of the Torah has been fulfilled and no longer are we in need of sacrifices and ceremonies to be forgiven. We are set free from them because Jesus lived the fulfilling life and offers us the opprotunity to reap his reward if we acknowledge that for our life we see him as our Beaker. And we purely in our hearts strive to be as him.

Thank you for clarifying this point.  This is all becoming a bit more clear.  smile

11. christiansister profile image60

Beaker????  DUH!!! Beacon :}

lol  I figured as much!  lol

12. christiansister profile image60

Couturepopcafe, in the "Gospel" Jesus said that there will be a helper available to us to commune with our spirit to help us to understand and form our true thoughts and actions we each are responsible for our own actions.

13. Beth100 profile image69

Can we take this a step further?  I understand how Judaism is the foundation and Christianity completes it (as Christiansister explained).  How and where does the other religions come into play?  Better yet, how did the differentiations between Christians and non-Christians come about?  Yes, I know this may be a hot topic, but I'm honestly trying to piece the puzzle together.

1. Jerami profile image58
        Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not to be argumentative or anything ...BUT ...

I would have to disagree concerning the statement about Christianity completing Judaism.

This is a misconception created by SOME among the Christian ranks.

As a believer; I was under the impression that Jesus is the fulfillment of Judaism.
           To say that Christianity finishes it, sounds to me as an attempt to steal the credit when there is nothing to take credit for.
           I heard that Jesus finished it on the cross. 
           Nothing after that needs finishing.

Which opens up an entirely different can of worms.

14. Beth100 profile image69

This is why I am so intrigued by all the different interpretations of so many different sects.  And, no, you are not being argumentative or anything.  smile

I think that it's important to understand, to the best of my abilities, the whole picture.  But to do that, I need to understand the little pieces here and there.  Naturally, I expect overlap and opposing theories.

Can you expound some more Jerami?

Was off reading a few Hubs.

My Views are terribly difficult to explain.
        Because since the beginning of religion, the people that knew better than to do it, did it any way.
           They interpreted the word of God.

No one likes my views.
           The arrival of the messiah had been foretold all through the old testament.  I accept that he die on the cross as Redeemer's as foretold.
           He fulfilled the OT.

And approx 6o years later John received prophesy of two false religions that is said to come that will fool even the most faithful believer if possible

Religion was officially organized approx 240 years later.
           And approx 50 years after that if you did not sign up as a member of that official religion of the Roman Empire ...  You were in a whole lot of trouble.  Ya better get out of the Roman empire as fast as you can.

Religion is a good thing and a BAD thing all at the same time.

This is why it is so hard to explain.

nicely said. The religion that organized was called catholic. the council of trent is important to note around 325ad i think. There has always been a persecution against Gods word. Even in here we see anger and hatred and resentment at the mention of jesus and these people have not the need for such aggression and neither the power of the roman catholic church or any governing body, (thankgoodness for they would be no different than herod when he wanted the babies.. i digress) So we can see how it is possible that the early church and even jesus, who of course was crucified, got a bad start right out of the gate, so to speak. And still today a vile reaction occurs at the mention of jesus. The flesh knows what it doesn't want to do and the people enslaved to its' wants and compunctions just willingly and quickly follow along. If jesus had said, make love to your neighbours wife and steal as often as you can, many ath... people, would be christian LOL.

I think that it was 326 ?? that Constantine gathered the leaders together to form the universal church and in 380 Christianity was proclaimed the only religion recognized by the state.

Ya actually had to be a Christian to get a GOOD Job, own a home or own a retail store.  If you tried to express a different faith ya died.

How many faithful do ya suppose died keeping their faith?

the christian you are talking about is catholic by this time. Catholicism is a blend of paganism and christianity, easy for most to get a job under these circumstances.

Those that died for the faith were the early church christlikeians, still using the received texts distributed by the apostles of christ. These most likely were putting jesus on a pedastal and being killed for it.

all those that died of course
              smile  sorry couldn`t resist

That is what I was thinking.

2. wilmiers77 profile image60

Beth100, I repeat, Christianity is following Jesus. Why are you worried about justifying other denominations or sects or any other cult? Follower Jesus even if I call it the Beth denomination. Follower Jesus!!! Your soul; only you can accept and save your soul. Want to start the Beth100 cult? Talk with God thru Jesus about it!!!!!

ha ha ha  No thanks. I'm not a cult leader type.  I'm not trying to justify any other denomination or sect.  I'm just trying to understand.  I have a much better grasp of it all now, thanks to the many replies here by the many who do understand.

I appreciate the help and the respect that everyone has shown each other. 

smile

15. Beth100 profile image69

Jerami, I'm not here to like or dislike anyone's views.  They are personal beliefs and I am not one to judge.

Thanks for taking the risk to explain it in a nutshell.  I am sure that there will be a few responses to yours.

I can't say much in return.  My lessons on the written word were many, but I was not an astute student who gave her undivided attention.  Perhaps I should have, then I wouldn't have so many questions.

I agree with you that religion can be good and bad at the same time.  As for the Roman Empire, religion was questioned but the philosophers were never given a true platform to speak upon.  It's ironic -- the Romans did not live the life of the word.  And, they created the monetary system.  Oh, I could go on an offshoot of this one, but I would be taking us off on a tangent.... 

Have you studied different religions?

I have had a few friends that are Buddhists and a few Muslims.
        We have have a good amount of pleasant and agreeable conversations.  That is about it as far as other religions.

I've been focusing on attempting to understand the written text of the KJV from a literary prospective.

Kinda like an English teacher might give the class as a project.  What does this paragraph say if you disregard any and all foreknowledge of its contents.

You would be surprised.

2. outrider2 profile image40

Religions are not good or bad, the people who follow them are.

I disagree with you. It is not the followers who are good or bad, it is their trust that they have laid upon their teacher who has the power to teach them.  It is the teacher who can interpret and teach what his/her belief is and pass that belief to the followers who are trusting his/her teachings to be truth.  If that truth was corrupt, then the beliefs of the followers will be corrupt.  If that truth is pure, then it good would come out of it.  Of course, the followers have the choice to choose as to believe it is good or bad.  The final action is of the self, but the choice is greatly affected by what has been told to him/her.

1. outrider2 profile image40

What I meant was that in and of themselves religions cannot be good or bad. A teacher is still a follower and his/or her response to the religion in question can be good or bad. Yes the people who follow the teacher can be influenced but in my opinion you let them off to easy,ultimitely they are responsible for their own reactions and beliefs.

2. Jewels profile image83
            Jewelsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well said Beth, that is so spot on.  Blind faith falls into this category.

A teacher who says "don't believe what I say" and gives the ability to discern is a true teacher.

Thank you Jewels.  I like how you put it too.

16. Beth100 profile image69

@ Outrider -- If you had read the previous posts, you would realize that I am not being condescending to anyone here or off line.  It is judgemental of you to state that.  Read the posts before you judge me and make such a statement.

@ Jerami -- I've had many friends from different religions as well.  We have had many good conversations -- always open, never have we had an argument.  I've always walked away with more food for thought than I could handle for a night.  smile  I enjoy learning and love even more the presence of friends who are able to articulate what their thoughts are without bringing in the emotional aspects.  I find it enlightening.  You've posed a good question.  I'll have to think about this in more depth.  smile

@ Hanging Out -- Ah, you have given me more to ponder over.  There is a difference between being born into a religious belief than being presented a choice.

I did read previous posts. Maybe you aren't doing it on purpose, But I am Christian and somebody who asks what "sect" I am sounds condecending to me.People make judgments every day its not a bad thing.

Why would it be condescending if one is trying to understand the opening question that another person poses? 

Being condescending means that one believes he/she is superior to another.  I have openly admitted that I am trying to understand some points that I have not grasped completely in its entirety.  If anything, anyone else in this thread who has more knowledge than me could definitely treat me as lesser and less educated than him/her.

Judging another person, in my opinion, will never result in anything that is condusive to being positive.  Judgemental minds are closed.  They are not open.

You meet someone who lets their kid smoke or smacks their kid in front of you and you don't make a judgment? Making a judgment based on no facts or information is bad other then that judging someone means you have beliefs and convictions. There is an old saying about people with open minds believing anything, think about it.

There is a difference between knowing what is right or wrong.  Perhaps we have a different definition of "judgement".  If I see a kid with a skateboard, I do not automatically judge him and classify him as a druggy skateboarder up to no good.  If I see a person hitting another person, I know that behavior is unacceptable -- it is wrong.  Judging and knowing the difference between right and wrong are two concepts that are entirely different.

Open minds are what changes the world.  Open minds question what is around them.  They don't necessarily accept everything that is told to them.  This is a good example of your judging someone. 

Inventors have open minds.  Inventors create when others tell them its wrong, evil or the world doesn't need it.  Yet, they continue to because they know it's right.  We would not be conversing on line in this forum if it weren't for the open and creative mind of an inventor.  Medicine, cures, material goods that help on a daily basis, and a million other things would not exist if we didn't have open minds.  We'd still be living in the cave with no fire or metal weapons.

You make a judgment because you have convictions on what is right or wrong. If you saw a kid on a skateboard in a park late at night and it was only you and him, you're saying you would have not even have a little worry (you could be wrong) even if briefly?your open minds point is well made but it is possible to make judgments and have an open mind,they are not mutually exclusive. Since you seem so curious about Christianity you should look at all of th inventions made by Christians,people who had convictions and curious minds.

I am not the one who made the comment about open minds, it was you.  I simply answered you with my own opinions.

I have no fear whether there is a kid with a skateboard in a park or not.  Fear is an emotion that stems from our experiences in life and can be controlled.  It's fear that causes us to make irrational, and sometimes, dangerous decisions.  On the other hand, fear can save our life.  Yin and yang.  Good and evil.  Life has both in order to balance.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...another can of worms.

Actually you brought it up first (judgmental minds are closed not open) but interesting conversation anyway. Time for me to rack out,got work tommorrow.  maybe talk later

2. Jerami profile image58

And I have enjoyed our conversation and have been respecting your attitude on the forums.
           Thanks.

Thank you Jerami.  I respect what you have said and will take from it what I can.  Perhaps I will have to turn to you for more explanations.  smile

3. Beelzedad profile image59

That is true if it weren't for the fact that children are not presented choices, they are indoctrinated into their parents religions, they never made any choices nor were ever given that opportunity. Most parents know very little about their own religions let alone the others. smile

The flaw in your thinking here is that you think God doesn`t exist.
          To teach a child about God is to ensure they know, it may also provide them wisdom to be childless outside of marriage in older life. Since we christians believe very strongly that God does exist, it makes sense to us that we teach our children according to scripture:
                           Proverbs 22:6  ``Train up a child in the way he should go:
                                and when he is old, he will not depart from it``.
          The information that children receive at a young age is never to depart from them, although they may depart from God for a while. Since God never dies it is a rational conclusion that God will always be with the child up through manhood to old age, bringing the once ago, child, now man back to God or preparing the child who never left God, now a man, for some mighty service for God. Who knows how many that fledgling shall save.
          What a parent knows or does not know is irrelevant. The child will get knowledge of God and then when older, grab a bible and as every christian parent hopes. - the child will grow in God and know more than they do. There is no wrong in this neither is it derogatory.

17. hanging out profile image59
      hanging outposted 13 years ago

jesus completes judaism in the fulfillment of prophesies about a messiah who would restore the belief of shall we say OT peoples. Jesus is a perfect fit. The new dispensation and the end of blood sacrifice of animals. Jesus was the blood sacrifice when he was on the cross and said "it is finished". He meant just that, the OT was finished and the NT started in the upper room Acts chapter 2. The firstfruit to God is his son and he who ignores the son, ignores the father.
      For centuries the catholic church kept the bible from the people. This action made them the sole interpretors and dictators of what was in the scriptures, therefore they sold their doctrines to the unlearned masses. (be aware that in the background the received texts were floating around to the churches that perpetuated the early church belief system, howbeit, they were not the majority.)
      Then luther, 1483–1546 opened the proverbial can of worms to the incorrectness of the catholic doctrines and the catholic church in rome unwilling to lose the catholic church of englands dole money, went to war with england to regain the church back. The end result was the protestant church. Still life in those times, education was scarce and the upper class had the edge, today is far different, everybody has a bible thanks to lutherism.
      So the church began to grow in knowledge again and over the years as more and more people began to understand more and more of the bible, truths became revealed. Each denomination is a level of truth, revealed according to what the one whom it was revealed to could handle. Today baptists cannot accept the baptism in the Holy Ghost and neither can many unsaved yet the catholic sprinkling baptism, incorrect; spawned the baptist movement of immersion, correct, the dutch reform and the christian reform and other churches are interpretations of revealed scripture, superimposed by other layers of revealed scripture, and so the church grows, or branches if you will.
      Why does God not straighten all this out? because the only important part of this whole mess is, jesus. If a person believes in jesus and accepts jesus as the way to God the father then they shall be saved; and many churches do believe this. Heaven, so to speak is not dependent on the interpretation of genesis 3's serpent or the rapture doctrine or Ezekiels' temple.. it is only based upon the question, "what have you done with my Son". God tries to keep it simple.. but people make it complicated. Nobody i know ever says, "it is easy to deal with people" and i can hear God sigh when someone 'gets it!'.

You speak the truth.
        But I must add, that in my opinion... Martin Luther only scratched the surface.

agreed
          but still

a good scratch smile

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/4001802.jpg

Scratching is a good thing!

18. Beth100 profile image69

@ Hanging Out -- Thank you.  You've answered one of my questions, well, actually, a few of them.  This has helped me tremendously.  And yes, I am sure there is a big *sigh* somewhere as the light turns on for me.  smile  With a big help from everyone.

i am humbled and honored

19. Beth100 profile image69

Inventions are not created because they are Christians.  They come about because of creativity and the ability to see things in a different light.  Many inventors were non-Christians as well.  Religion does not determine whether you are an inventor or not.

I agree but you seemed to be implying that being judgmental was the sign of a closed mind and therefore bad. I simply wanted to point out that people make judgments all the time and it doesn't make one good or bad. Also that plenty of people of religious faith (judgmental) have invented things.If you check closely the majority of inventions in sceince and medicine were made by people of faith.

20. Rod Marsden profile image67
      Rod Marsdenposted 13 years ago

A Christian believes in and follows the teachings of Christ pure and simple. Of course he or she can do other things as well.

A Christian doesn't necessarily have to be a gentile though I believe that almost all followers of Jesus (Christ) nowadays are gentile.

Strangely enough there is a small order of Jews in Jerusalem today that actually believe in Christ and at the same time maintain their Jewish faith.

The first followers of Jesus were, of course, Jews who saw no contradiction in being Jewish and following their Jewish teacher.

21. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 13 years ago

I think that the true definition of what a true christian is ...is  a person that is seen to be and is said to be ...

But Not self proclaimed.

Why proclaim yourself to be something that you do not know what the other person believes that to be?

If I am asked if I am a Christian; I answer; depends upon your  definition of a Christian? 

And if they want a better answer than that, If they want to know what I believe ?   I will tell them.

It's bed time   nite yawl.

22. profile image0
      King Larryposted 13 years ago

christianity is defined when people keep their freaking traps shut about their beliefs and keep it to themselves.  other than that, people who use it to promote evil deeds is a dumbass!

23. profile image0
      King Larryposted 13 years ago

croiks! a talking frog!

24. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

Well, according to my religion, it is one who believes the following..

I believe in one God, Father Almighty, Creator of
      heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.

And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of
      God, begotten of the Father before all ages;

Light of Light, true God of true God, begotten,
      not created, of one essence with the Father
      through Whom all things were made.

Who for us men and for our salvation
      came down from heaven and was incarnate
      of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary and became man.

He was crucified for us under Pontius Pilate,
      and suffered and was buried;

And He rose on the third day,
      according to the Scriptures.

He ascended into heaven
      and is seated at the right hand of the Father;

And He will come again with glory to judge the living
      and dead. His kingdom shall have no end.

And in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the Creator of life,
      Who proceeds from the Father, Who together with the
      Father and the Son is worshipped and glorified, Who
      spoke through the prophets.

In one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church.

I confess one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.

I look for the resurrection of the dead,
      and the life of the age to come.

Amen.

1. Rod Marsden profile image67
        Rod Marsdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well that makes the Anabaptists non-Christians because they believe in two baptisms. they like to keep it clean I suppose. I wonder what the Anabaptists are if they aren't Christians? Bit of a mystery there Greek One.

1. Daniel Carter profile image62
          Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you ask an anabaptist if they are Christian, they would say yes. And who are any of us to disagree? However, there are lots of "Christians" who make their own definitions of what a Christian is, and try to enforce it, despite what many Christian believers claim.

And that is just twisted.

The Anabaptists were persecuted as heretics by the Catholics. I don't believe that the Anabaptists were ever involved in foisting what they believed onto other Christians with different views. They just thought that two baptisms was the way to go.

2. Greek One profile image64
          Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

not really a mystery.. anyone can call themselves anything... 

I can only answer the original question as to what I think a Christian is from my own perspective (ie as to why I (and those who follow my own particular faith) call myself a Christian). 

Someone else might call themselves a Christian just because the value Jesus' teaching.

Valuing Jesus' teachings sounds about the best reason to call yourself a Christian Greek One.

2. profile image0
        mtsi1098posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree and would like to add a Christian should not judge someone because of another individuals beliefs

Sounds like you have some sense on your side mtsi1098.

3. profile image51

Who witnessed it and write it? None whatsoever

What happened to the Anabaptists is part of history. Look it up if you like.

1. aguasilver profile image70
            aguasilverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I seem to have ended up with three baptisms!

First someone dunked me in St Mary's Church in Walthamstow, England, but as I was six weeks old, I can't think why or what happened.

Then 40 years later I came to faith in a church that was apparently AoG and the pastor, who loved baptising... dunked me, but frankly nothing seemed to change,because it was a baptism of repentance, rather than the public declaration that I now realise is required.

I called that my 'John' Baptism (as in John the Baptist, who baptised for repentance).

Finally I came to a full baptism, of my own free will, where I publicly declared that I had permanently surrendered my rebellion against God and would be a bond slave to His Son, Jesus Christ, and could declare to Satan that he no longer had any rights over me.

Baptism has two meanings and uses....

One is the kind of baptism you do to vegetables, to wash the dirt from them, the other is the baptism when you marinade something in spirit, which actually changes the nature of the thing baptised.

So I guess I'm an Anabaptist in that respect.

To answer the topic:

A believer in Christ is someone who has recognised their plight as a sinner, accepts that Christ died to provide our salvation, surrenders their rebellion against God, and rejects the ways of the secular world, renouncing the authority of Satan over their lives, and electing to obey Christ from that time onward.

If after that they wish to call themselves by a brand name, so well and good, for God cunningly hid His people in all those denominations...

John

2. profile image51

What or who is Anabaptists? How does it concern me?

1. Daniel Carter profile image62
              Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do a google search, paar, and you'll get a lot of info.

2. Rod Marsden profile image67

Daniel is right paarsurrey.

2. Greek One profile image64
          Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The same people who witnessed Jesus go to India to open up that Samosa shop you claim he did, Paar

I believe the Anabaptists were European.

25. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

aka-dj wrote:

The Bible teaches that we are ALL (together) the BODY of Christ.

Paarsurrey says:

Please quote from Jesus where he stated that Christians are his body; if they were his body then why did they runaway when Jesus was put on the Cross and nailed down there?

The Christians becoming 32000+ denominations have negated that Christians are body of Jesus; in fact they had never been.

26. Esori profile image57
      Esoriposted 13 years ago

I believe the underlying definition of Christian is exactly what it sounds like (and what other people have already said), a follower of Christ. However, from what I've seen most people seem to only follow him on Sundays.

I don't care for Religion. People can do the worst things to each other in the name of Religion. I know that the major religions don't call for violence towards others ( I believe) however that seems to be all we are witnessing today. I don't know why that is. Maybe it's because we learn all these rules through our Religion and then we filter the actions of others through our teachings. And when we see someone "misbehaving" it's like Kids who point and declare loudly that they're "gonna tell Daddy".

I'm constantly going back and forth on what I personally believe as far as God goes, however I've never wavered in Common Sense, which Jesus very clearly lays out in his teachings.

My personal belief, my personal Religion you might say, is very simple and can be summed up in three sentences.

1.) Judge Not
      2.) Treat others as you would have them treat you.
      3.) Be the change you want to see in the world.

These are all Christian ideals, sweet, simple and to the point. Who needs religion to tell you how to behave when you have common sense.

1. Anesidora profile image61
        Anesidoraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's way too simple. It'll never sell.

27. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

dutchman1951 wrote:

(Christ-ian) one who believes in the death and resurection of Jesus Christ by faith, and has submitted themselves to the Lord God as his or her's Lord and Master.

Paarsurrey says:

This definition does not fit on Jesus even; he neither believed his death on Cross nor his resurrection; the Creator-God Allah YHWH saved him and he secretly went to India.

Your definition of a Christians is therefore erroneous as it does not fit on Jesus even.

May be you are defining followers of Paul and the Church; not followers of Jesus .

1. Druid Dude profile image59
        Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Someone waiting for the Calvary to arrive? Not misspelled.smile

Someone who thinks they were immaculately conceived? OK, I'll quit now!smile

2. profile image0
          Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Indeed.  That, I await....

VERY,VERY patient people. Excellent swimmers. They can hold their breath for 2 thousand years! I lied. I never quit.smile

Your time will come MR Druid Dude! 

This I know Dude!

WAIT!

Your time is almost here.

Better get the firewood for the sacred fires ready.

Its almost upon us.

Too early to say Happy Halloween?

I'll say it anyway.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!  HAVE A GOOD ONE PAL!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)