This question is nearly impossible to answer. There are a lot of great places to live in Canada. From east to west, I would choose the following:
1. Halifax. This small town has A LOT to offer. It has a small town feel but it also has tons of cultural events and beautiful historical sites. Halifax has great restaurants and great live music. The real estate is cheap too.
2. Montreal tied with Quebec City. Montreal and Quebec City are hip. These places feel like Europe. Montreal has a great arts scene and fashion scene.
3. Ottawa is simply beautiful. It is a major international city within minutes of the wilderness. Skiing, skating, hiking, etc can be easily done after work. Ottawa and Vancouver are perfect cities for urbanites that enjoy outdoor activities.
4. Toronto. Say no more. This is truly an international city. There are Korean sections, Italian sections, Chinese sections, Greek sections etc, etc. Toronto, with 4 plus pro sports teams, has something for every one.
5. Vancouver is likely the best Canadian city. However, it has very expensive real estate making it beyond the reach of many people. Vancouver has a great climate and a laid back feel. People who live in Van stay in Van.