Can zombies swim?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 60 discussions (134 posts)
  1. Dolores Monet profile image95
    Dolores Monetposted 14 years ago

Can zombies swim? What with the threat of zombies these days, I just had to wonder if you could escape a zombie attack by jumping into a large body of water.

1. DogSiDaed profile image61
      DogSiDaedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well in old stories, the undead can't cross running water, so if that applies you could be ok (Y)

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

no but they will just stagger on the bottom of the lake until they make it to the other side and onto the bank where they will just be even madder. best to carry a sawed-off shotgun at all times wink

1. Happyontheinside profile image72
        Happyontheinsideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I came here to say exactly that...Well done in reading my mind smile

zombies don't breathe do they? Theoretically speaking it would walk about underwater until it got to the other side. But I have another question whilst I'm thinking about it. If they didn't breath then they souldn't be able to groan surely - isn't voice produced by air resonating off the vocal chords?

3. TheGlassSpider profile image63
      TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well...I don't know if they can swim, but since they're already dead, one would assume that they don't need to breathe. Perhaps they would just walk across the bottom of the body of water.

*shivers* Ewww.

1. DogSiDaed profile image61
        DogSiDaedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Pirates of the Caribbean stylie smile

4. profile image0
      Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

*blink* I hope not...oi I better go freshen up on my zombie killing skills if the zombies are coming back. I thought we got rid of them all.

5. nikki1 profile image59
      nikki1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

hahahaha

6. tobey100 profile image60
      tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sure,for a few seconds before they sink.

7. tobey100 profile image60
      tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

They must be able to.  I saw two at Dillards in the mall buying one-piece suits.  By the way, I believe someone mentioned 'salt water zombies'.  Now that's funny!

8. aware profile image66
      awareposted 14 years agoin reply to this

no they cant but if a zombie bites a shark will the shark become a zombie? cus in that case they would

2. K Partin profile image60
    K Partinposted 14 years ago

They can in Left 4 Dead! smile

3. Paradise7 profile image69
    Paradise7posted 14 years ago

Now that's a thought to sleep on--a swimming zombie.  Thanks, ta so much honeychile.

4. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Only in pools of blood.

5. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

They are like chimps, no body fat and sink.

1. tantrum profile image61
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Charlie !! Nice 2 C U ! smile

6. Paradise7 profile image69

Oh man, Cosette.  And here I thought you were all peace and light!  The insights we get from the forums!!!

Yeah, thanks again for the "pools of blood", kids and geraniums!

1. profile image0

big_smile

actually, sawed-off shotguns are illegal. but if you want to stop zombies, you have to blow their heads off. they will still be undead but they need their brains to make their legs move...

7. profile image0

Helloo tantrum. So great to see you as well.

1. tantrum profile image61
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

big_smile
      You look great !!!

2. Paradise7 profile image69
      Paradise7posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Rawlus.  The man is back.  Terrif.

8. waynet profile image70
    waynetposted 14 years ago

Yeah like cosette said, they can't swim as we can, they hang around on the bottom of the sea beds and carry on walking.

If you've read World war Z, this explains that zombies gather under the seas surface feeding off fish, sharks and whatever else is down there.

But if you've seen land of the dead, it shows the zombies doing exactly what Cosette described walking through the manhattan river, classic!

1. profile image0

you would think a Great White could make mincemeat out of those zombies though...

1. waynet profile image70
        waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But in great numbers, zombies can beat anything, not that I'd know as I havn't seen a zombie yet, apart from in films!

9. profile image0

Tantrum you are great thanks.

10. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

I have heard that zombies are deathly afraid of fairies and that if you keep a fairy around you won't be bothered by any zombies!

11. profile image0

Ooo I like mincemeat.

12. lorlie6 profile image73
    lorlie6posted 14 years ago

So, I gather we're talking salt-water zombies here.

1. waynet profile image70
      waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah we don't want no fresh water zombies, they is bad!

13. profile image0
    blatvaposted 14 years ago

As far As I know They cant... Wouldn't their lungs fill up with water?

1. Dolores Monet profile image95
      Dolores Monetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lungs don't matter to a zombie. They are dead.

14. Dolores Monet profile image95
    Dolores Monetposted 14 years ago

Well if they can walk around on the bottom of the sea or lake or whatever that's no good. But moving water? Like a swift running stream or river? They could probably just wade across a stream. I would like to avoid the sawed off shot gun or the flame thrower. I don't have any of that sort of thing on hand.

1. mega1 profile image80
      mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

why I'm saying - get yourself a little fairy!

15. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

Just make you some zombie pie!  Take one cup minced zombie, add a handful of raisins and some brandy, then, yeh brandy

and then a teaspoon of cinnamon

about a cup of brandy

another cup of minced Zombie

and brandy

and then some cognacs

what?  oh.  where was I?
    did I mention brandy?

1. Paradise7 profile image69

put a dash of Southern Comfort in there and you're on!

16. dave272727 profile image61
    dave272727posted 14 years ago

Cosette hit the nail on the head.  In fiction as well in games and movies it has been mentioned that they will just shuffle across the sea floor, river bed, ponds, lakes, whatever.  How long it takes, or if they make it intact is open to interpretation.  Day by Day Armageddon by J.L. Bourne talks about a Zombie in fresh water that has been fed on by the fish.  Monster Island by David Wellington leads you to believe that zombies are afraid of water.  So I guess the only true way to tell is to wait for the zombie apocalypse and hope you have a shotgun handy.

Love the hat!

17. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

so you all are not gonna take my fairy idea seriously  - well, ok, but I haven't seen any zombies around here ever since I got this little fairy!

Good deal, we should all have some fairy dust to protect us from zombies...

ESPECIALLY the ones that can walk under water.

Hmmm....we should put it to a vote:

FAIRIES vs. Cosette's sawed-off shotgun, what's the best protection against zombies coming out of the water at you????

big_smilebig_smilebig_smile

1. dave272727 profile image61
        dave272727posted 14 years agoin reply to this

What about a shotgun the shoots fairies or fairy dust?

18. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

I believe you, Mega. I believe I have fifteen fingers, too, but , um, yeah.....uh, what?

19. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
    Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years ago

The absolute authority on the topic is The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks.  I received it as a gift from a neighbor, and it is very thorough. It says that they do not swim and can stay underwater walking around on the bottom indefinitely, so to further reinforce Dave and cosette...keep the shotgun ready. smile

1. profile image0
      Am I dead, yet?posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely.

20. profile image0
    Am I dead, yet?posted 14 years ago

No. They would just wait you out. From my experience with killing zombies (RE5, Left for Dead, etc)--they have the best patience in the world.

21. dave272727 profile image61

the Zombie Survival Guide is some great reading.  World War Z is by the same author and is very good as well.  I mentioned Day by Day Armageddon earlier in this thread, and it is my favorite in this genre.  A close second would be Z Day is Here by Rob Fox.  Research and planning will go a long way in surviving the zombie onslaught.

1. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
      Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the recs! big_smile

I honestly expected the book to be tongue-in-cheek, but it was not.  Didn't make it any less enjoyable.

22. Richieb799 profile image75
    Richieb799posted 14 years ago

What if it was a olympic swimmer or a good swimmer who had been bitten and turned into a zombie?

Zombies retain little if any memory of their former selves.  Which is why parents attack children, children attack parents, wives attack husbands.  Brother against brother.  Once a person dies and they come back, they are no longer human.  They are living dead.  Sole purpose in life would be to eat and consume the light of the living.

23. dave272727 profile image61

Air can enter their bodies through the gaping holes in them, or through their open mouths.  They wouldn't necessarily have to be breathing to produce the noise.  Just a hypothesis, interesting question though.

24. blondepoet profile image67
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

Oh Dolores believe me the only body of water you are safe from them is your very own bath tub.
    Twas only last week I nearly drowned in the surf at Rockhampton trying to get away from one. I was catching a wave in on my boogie board (no hidden stash of green leaves in it)..... and one appeared from the depths of the sea and lunged itself at me. It had big long fangs and eyes so evil I could have sworn it was my neighbour Hugh Jass.

And look at what fate awaited my cousin Dan Druff when he jumped overboard cos a massive orange one foot zombie came after him.........
    http://static.pyzam.com/img/funnypics/people/jaws%5B1%5D.jpg

That's funny ! big_smile

25. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

but zeriouzly,  I believez zombiez iz vezzy frightened of zee firez!  yezzzz darlingzzzz - fire zee only zing to keep off zee zombie - if you have zee zombie problemz!

26. Happyontheinside profile image72
    Happyontheinsideposted 14 years ago

hehehehe

best thread yet!

Does everyone else here have a zombie escape plan for their homes or is that just me?

Nope.  I have one for home, the bar, work, and Wal-Mart

1. profile image0

Wait you are supposed to have escape plans instead of just going crazy and killing 'em all? shoot I guess I better work on mine then. Oh have to save my kitties lol

27. dyonder profile image72
    dyonderposted 14 years ago

the whole family's versed on it here

28. Paradise7 profile image69

Save the women, kittens and talking mushrooms by shooting fairies from your sawed-off shotgun.  Works every time. big_smile

1. profile image0

Paradise don't use fairies on the zombies lol and careful or the fairies may come and box your ears. big_smile

I thought fairies were immune to zombies, enjoyed helping humans, and loved speeding like a bullet...Sort of the shot-from-the-cannon rush, not to be mistaken for the magic talking mushroom rush.

Other than that, you're probably right!

1. profile image0

lol nope Paradise sorry but they aren't all like that, fairies are helpful sometimes but they do like to play jokes on people. and nope not immune to zombies i'm afraid

2. mega1 profile image80

you a fairyphobe?  you a fairphobe aren't you!  I'm staying clear away from your freekin sawed-off shotgun, dude.  don't worry about that.  I don't see how shooting fairies is gonna keep any zombie away, though!

29. Paradise7 profile image69

It also helps to hyperbreed your babubka, after soaking in rum.  You, soak in rum, I mean, not the babubka. Zombies just stay far, far away.

30. dave272727 profile image61

Well, the noise would attract more of them.  And them more would come.  It would be better to grab the cats, run to the car, and drive away from them.  Less populated places are best.  Make sure you stock up on food, water, first aid kits, and soap.

31. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

*sigh* Fine I won't go after the zombies and kill 'em. lol

32. dave272727 profile image61

You can kill some of them, but it's better to lead them to a place where they will kill themselves.  Like lemmings jumping off the cliff.  The zombies will just fall to their "death" if you can lead them to a cliff's edge or something.

just so long as they don't fall into the water, then, hey presto, here we go again!

33. profile image0

Cliff's edge got it...HEY we can use the Grand Canyon big_smile

34. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

I am only trying to be zee helpful onez!  and you - you want to shoot me!  I can zee I am not zo welcome in zis plaze!  I will flit away, azz zoon az the rum-sozked zombie jumpz een zee volcanoe and zizzles heemzelf up in zee zmoke!  zen you weel zee - fairiez ARE your helperZ!

Oh man, a fairy just boxed my ears!!!!  Ouch, but I deserved it and am SORRY!!!!!  Don't go away!!!!  Pleeeezzzeeee!!!!!!

1. mega1 profile image80

maybe for you a zzzzhotgun and a fairy - becazzze zee fairy juzt might flit awayz -

35. Dim Flaxenwick profile image80
    Dim Flaxenwickposted 14 years ago

I think I'd prefer to have a shotgun with me at all times rather than a fairy.

Take it from me, you don't want to tick off the fairies.

2. mega1 profile image80

as long as you don't shoot the fairies!

36. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

No they cannot, don't worry they are too weak. smile

37. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Zombies operate on only one basic need. To eat, that's it. They are dead, therefore immune to pain. They don't have the intellect it would require to swim. There ability to function is extremely limited and very slowed.

At least that's my take on it. I've never actually seen one, so I really don't know. smile

38. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

no, dudes, listen to me - I'm telling you straight now!  FIRE is the only way to fight off the zombies - get your torches out and light up - they won't come near, and if they due fire throwers to catch them on fire - they burn up fast, dude, because they are nothing but old, dried skin! and hair!  and they stink bad of rum and swamp!

FIRE!!!  yes fire would work to grab their attention and probably to catch a few on fire.

2. Dolores Monet profile image95
      Dolores Monetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You can also chop their heads off. Fire is so dangerous.

1. profile image0

but I like working with fire big_smile

3. TheGlassSpider profile image63

You have been fortunate...you haven't run into any of the more modern haven't-been-molding-in-the-grave-long kind of zombies...they don't burn up quite like that, and they're FAST!

1. mega1 profile image80

acshully?  I haven't run into any zombies yet- I just seen some movies is all!

39. blondepoet profile image67

HELP THERE IS ONE IN MY KITCHEN CALL OOO HELPPPPPPPPPPP

40. blondepoet profile image67

sorry false alarm it was the plumber sorry to alarm everyone, so sorry, it's all good now.

41. dave272727 profile image61

Shoot, I was on my way.

1. blondepoet profile image67
      blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh heck well you still better just in case there's one hiding somewhere. Can you ride a white horse and wear a little armour, just to make my neighbours jealous.

AS long as I can still wear my hat.  I will do whatever you need!

1. blondepoet profile image67
          blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Done deal!!! Woo hoo!!!Finally my fantasy to be rescued by a knight in shining armour will be fulfilled... You will see directions to my house at google earth or at where-is.
          I'll start making a lot of noise here to attract the neighbour's attention so they don't miss you.

42. dave272727 profile image61

Sounds good to me!

43. profile image0

Good to see ya back crazd. x

44. profile image0

heya ralwus...jeez was I really missed that much?

1. TheGlassSpider profile image63

I've only been here a few days and I can tell you...people have *really* missed you.

1. profile image0

Hey GlassSpider, welcome to hubpages. and they have? wow smile Didn't know that I made such an impact on ppl...

Thank you! And a big Welcome Back to you...although I have missed out on the joy of having known you before...We can remedy that now smile

1. profile image0

Yep very true though I have to warn you...don't listen to the others about me...I'm not sweet. I am mean mea mean lol

I try not to listen to others about anyone. I find that the best people have an intriguing balance of niceness and meanness...Although that may be something I tell myself to justify my own sadistic streak! lol

1. profile image0

lol

2. profile image0
      ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, not really. Hehe wink

1. profile image0

Yea didn't think so lol

45. profile image0

We loves ya girl. Now have fun.

46. profile image0

You love me? Aaaa they really love me! *sniff sniff sniff* lol

47. profile image0

pffffft! dead

48. blondepoet profile image67

ZOMBIE ALERT!!!!  ZOMBIE ALERT!!!!!
    The sun has gone down, arm yourselves all ye people with whatever tools you can find, prepare yourselves for battle.

49. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

gee - I hope the zombies didn't get everybody last night! there aren't any around here - although the fog is so thick -might be a couple lurking around out there!

50. profile image0

Man too bad the director of the remake of Day of the Dead didn't read this or read dave's stories. the movie sucks! PMG they have the zombies using weapons yikes

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)