Huge drop in traffic today... anyone else?

Jump to Last Post 1-38 of 38 discussions (116 posts)
  1. Bendo13 profile image77
    Bendo13posted 12 years ago

I was loving that my traffic was doubled for a while... it was hitting levels I had never seen before on HubPages.

But today I just noticed it's down at least 1,000 views, and I check pretty much every day.

I'm not sure what could have caused this but the only thing I've done different is I've been going back and adding in summaries so perhaps that is a temporary cause...

Or is it a slow day...

a glitch...

another Panda update...

I don't know but I was getting close to 2,000 views a day for a while there and right now I have like 700... soo I'd say something is up once again.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
      Maddie Ruudposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your traffic shot up pretty quickly there, so it may be that you were getting a lot of views from some particular source (like StumbleUpon) for a limited period of time, and that's now died off.  Was the traffic distributed amongst your Hubs, or did one particular star shine?

Bendo13posted 12 years agoin reply to this

It was up all over from what I can tell... the only big dog was Google.

But I also forgot about yesterday's server problems where the site was inaccessible for an hour or so and wouldn't load anything fully.  So perhaps that was part of the problem but I don't know.

I'll just have to wait and see.

1. IzzyM profile image87
          IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're not alone Bendo. My traffic returned better than ever almost 2 days ago, and collapsed again today.

One minute all my hubs were up high again in Google, next thing they can hardly be found.

There have been a few reports across the threads of another plunge today.

Yeah I'm seeing that articles that were on page one got bumped to page 2 and probably lower... Google giveth and taketh away!

2. Bendo13 profile image77

I just noticed I got a pretty rad $0.49 from HP Ads yesterday... the single worst day ever since I started the program.

I think my traffic is lower now than it was after Panda hit.

Look at these lovely stats...

google / organic       

September 6, 2011: 98 

September 5, 2011: 1,035

Looks like a giant slap for no reason or something... hopefully the stinging feeling goes away soon.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
          PaulGoodman67posted 12 years agoin reply to this

98 is good, after 4 days of plunging my google organic has reached zero!  ;-)

for 486 hubs.... some of which are 3 and 4 years old?

Yes, that's very "good"

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maddie, on another thread we've been sharing our experiences, and I suggest the staff should follow that thread because it deserves investigation.

The pattern, which has happened to several of us:

- a nice recovery after the switch to the sub-domain
        - then a surge in traffic way above pre-Panda levels for a week or so
        - then a crash when traffic drops to less than half its original figure. 

This pattern has happened to me, IzzyM, Woodsmenspost, PaulGoodman67 and Brandonhart100, that I know of.

It happened to Izzy much earlier than the rest of us, for some reason - Paul took a look at her Hubs after the 'crash'. 

It's not Stumbleupon because that's more of a spike than a surge. My surge lasted over a week and I think, so did Bendo's.  And the surge wasn't to just one Hub:  my traffic pattern stayed quite consistent across my popular Hubs.

There are several Hubbers still riding a higher-than-prePanda surge, it will be interesting to see whether they also crash - for their sake I hope not!

1. QuestionMaster profile image79
          QuestionMasterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There does appear to be a definite pattern - accounts that didn't change over till they were forced to, at the end of August, are still flying high, while those that changed over at the first opportunity are feeing the plunge.

1. wilderness profile image96
            wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe I'm the exception; I changed the day it became possible (not counting test cases) and am still surging at 3X pre-panda levels.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
              mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ditto that!

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88

Not in my case. I changed over voluntarily virtually as soon as it was an option. My traffic rocketed a couple of weeks later (or so) and is now treble Pre-Panda levels. Income is also well up, in fact although I use HP Ads my Adsense is also at around the same as pre-Panda levels. HP Ads are providing treble pre-Panda income too.

Not banking on it lasting though, just saying I don't 'fit' into the box you might expect.

2. wilderness profile image96

That post produces another small tidbit of information.

I'm still in the "surge" stage, and views are showing a gradual increase with normal (if that term means anything any more) variations day to day.

I think nearly every hub I have has seen a large increase, at least in percentage terms.  Those that were 0 on most days now bounce between 0 and 5.  Those that had 10 or so now see 20-30 and those that had 30 are now pushing 100.  About the only exception is a few that were #2 or #3 in the SERPS; they were already about maxed out and have remained about where they were.

It most definitely isn't just my popular hubs; it is everything I have.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

Wilderness, I suspect mine was the same - it's just that I didn't examine the figures that carefully.   However I did notice that on Analytics, all my top-performing Hubs were still the same and the traffic to them increased in proportion, as you say.

I didn't make a formal study either, but what I DID do was watch carefully several times a day on which hubs were doing what.  With only 100 hubs it wasn't to hard to see that the general picture was that everything I had was increasing.

Massive quantities of red arrows but very few blues.  This because a hub that got 10 views now gets 30 (red arrow) and may fall to 25 but that won't produce a blue arrow.  The only blues are always on hubs that got a few one day but 0 the next - loss of only 4 or 5 views was 100% of their traffic.

My best hubs, unlike yours, have remained static.  These were low volume keywords that already ranked very high and couldn't go up.  As a result my top performers have all been passed over by new "top performers" that have higher volume keywords and are now ranked better than they were.

At the same time I have done many searches for various hubs in the SERPS.  The ones I knew about (perhaps in the first 100) all came up several pages.  Those at #20 are now first page, those already on first page all bumped up several places.  Even the duds, on page 8 maybe, are now on page 3 for example.

3. bgamall profile image68
          bgamallposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The pattern is a joke. It is a travesty. It is unfair and it is content theft.

What the hell is wrong with Google?

4. David 470 profile image81
          David 470posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well it appears as though I am crashing. I would of hoped that I maintained, but apparently not. My traffic rose over 10,000 views in late August then dropped off. It then rose again -- now it is falling even more than the first time. sad

I need to check and see how my best performing hubs are doing. I had a hub over 2000 views, now its less than 1000.

This whole thing is really making me nervous all the time. I felt so good when I saw views rise, now they are sinking like the titanic.

Honestly, I did not necessarily care if I stayed at 10,000 views because even 3/4 is over my pre panda traffic levels. I would of liked it to least maintained. I have been watching closely the last few days and what I feared -- is now occurring!

RUN FOREST RUN!! Google is coming after you!!

5. Dorsi profile image86
          Dorsiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm holding my breath. My traffic is still tripled. After Panda my views went from 1,500 to 800 a day. Now they are holding pretty strong around 3,500 views a day.

2. PegCole17 profile image94
      PegCole17posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow, if only! My stats are a micro miniscule version of yours. Where I was getting 100 hits a day on a hub - it now has 5 views. Hmmm. I only have one really "hot" hub. But it fell right off the planet overnight, again.

Looking back, I did notice a pattern of slow traffic during the first few days of the month with the later days picking up.

Today's views are truly disappointing.

2. kmackey32 profile image65
    kmackey32posted 12 years ago

My traffic is amazingly high today.

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My traffic is back to 'normal' after being 500% higher for the last week! Ah well the good times are over!!!

3. Len Cannon profile image89
    Len Cannonposted 12 years ago

My traffic went had two large sustained bursts of growth, then shot down to less than 75% of what I expect, and now it is back to where it was before. Nonsense!

4. brandonhart100 profile image75
    brandonhart100posted 12 years ago

Mine did the same thing... Crashed and burned to 1000 hits a day went up to 7000 hits a day for about 7 days... and now crash and burn again today. It's really weird.

I'm thinking that it's possible what we're seeing is the normal Google sandboxing that they do to new URLs.... they give you a chance, see what happens then pop you in the jaw and see if you'll still keep working on those pages, if the comments keep coming and the links and traffic keeps coming..

When they see you stand back up and start coming up the ranks, they'll pop you in the jaw again and see what you do.

They want to see if these new URLs are legit and are going to continue to improve so that you're worthy of the ranking you can get.

I'm hoping that's what it is because I'm not going to get KO'd by Googlefists

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years ago

My traffic is holding. wink

3. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 12 years ago

Even pre-Panda, traffic went up and down on a daily basis and watching the small variations was just a recipe for going crazy.  More comprehensive trends can be seen if you watch week to week, and then month to month once you have enough stats.

In early July when I got to be part of the subdomain test group, I quickly saw traffic return to near-pre-Panda levels, and starting at the end of August, I've had a full return of both pre-Panda traffic levels and earnings. 

Of course my traffic went up and down a lot over the holiday weekend, but overall, the levels are matching pre-Panda winter 2010 levels, and stats are up when compared to Aug-Sep 2010.

The thing is, though, it's not small variations.  Pre-panda I saw around 350 views, give or take.  Post-panda dropped to around 200.  The subdomain raised that back to around 300 for a few days.

But then, in a two day span, I hit 1000 and have remained between 900 and 1100 since.  Nor am I alone - the plungers saw the same kind of thing, but then plunged to post-panda or lower in just a day or so.  I suspect that if my climb had begun at the right time of day I would have seen it in a single 24 hour period.

These kind of traffic variations are nothing like you are reporting.  A 300% increase in two days, without a hub going viral, is not normal.

I wonder if the fact that you hit the subdomain without hundreds or thousands of other hubbers along had anything to do with it?

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

Relache, as Wilderness says, this is not normal traffic variations.  The people posting here are long-standing Hubbers and we know what normal traffic variations look like. In three years, I have never seen anything even close to what's happening here.   

To go from 1,500 to 4,000+ views a day overnight - and stay there for a week - isn't normal.  To then drop from 4,000 views to 2,000 overnight, and again from 2,000 to 400 a few days later, isn't normal either.

1. Lisa HW profile image61
          Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'd agree. It looks to me as if there's a defnite pattern, but I doesn't look at all like the normal one of ups and downs with traffic.  (Maybe the "new consistency in pattern" is the result of whatever changes have taken place), but it doesn't at all resemble what I've seen in the past as far as patterns go. 

I just posted (in excruciating detail - so sorry to anyone who runs into that) because it's been a real pattern.  It seems similar to what you've observed, although not as drastic, maybe, as far as rate-of-change goes.  Most recently, within one day I saw a drop from 5000 down to in the mid (maybe even low) 3000's.   Beginning yesterday ( holiday in the US) and through this morning it's returned to over 5000 (and is awfully close to 5500).

One thing that strikes me about Maddie's post above is that I don't belong to social sites other than Facebook and now Google+, but I don't do anything on them.  I don't backlink to anything that isn't within my own little circle of my own stuff and profiles. So, on the one hand, the post about maybe an quick surge from something like StumbleUpon might explain why I'd see a a "less dramatic" (at least in ways) pattern of changes (the social-site factor isn't a factor for me as far as I know, but also according to my Analytics pie chart  roll).  My better performing Hubs haven't performed "better enough" to account for the rises in traffic. 

I'm still thinking "data gathering" (maybe that's completely wrong) and - oops - it seems I've slipped back into the wheel-spinning over traffic changes that I vowed I wasn't going to do any more.   hmm  (It is intriguing, though.)

Not really, because if it's a Stumbleupon (or similar) spike, it will mainly be directed to the single Hub that got Stumbled.  The rises and drops in traffic are affecting all my Hubs, not just one.

You'd love my results right now... I've got a whopping 360 views right now... down from around 2,000-ish.  Doing really good!

3. SimeyC profile image88
          SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yep - exactly what happened to me. The sub domain switch gave me a 50% boost or so and I was back at pre-panda levels. I then surged on 8/23 and in a matter of days was tripled - I saw a slow and steady increase through 9/5 and hit my highest ever level on HP and then yesterday I lost it all and am back to early July levels.

Sad thing for me is that I haven't been at 300+ views for years.  At the beginning of the year, before Panda even hit I was seeing close to 1,000 views a day.

1. WoodsmensPost profile image63
              WoodsmensPostposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe Google doesn't like Hub Ads? When traffic skyrocketed I turned them on. Since the crash I turned them back off. Google has been known to dislike competition. That's just my theory for my accounts activity.

"This is in no means a guideline for others to follow"

Because Bendo13 has also seen this surge and plunge makes me believe there is more to the picture than any of us can figure out at the present time. I was told yesterday by Will Arse that my plunge was due to stuffing keywords.

One of the hubs he referred to had nothing to do with my traffic anyway and was a hub that was published with intent to revise at a later date. This is not against any rules but only sends the little hublet into the stream with hopes of growing later.

Anyway does Google like the competition from Hub ads? Dont they have a rep for beating down the ones they feel threaten by?

1. gracenotes profile image88
                gracenotesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

WoodsmensPost,

Not so.  I don't have HubAds enabled.  My traffic took a dramatic plunge.

3. bgamall profile image68

We aren't talking small variations Relache. Glad to see you are hanging in there. My ebooks are selling so I can rant against Google and if they wipe me out screw em.

4. lender3212000 profile image60
      lender3212000posted 12 years ago

Same here! Got a nice push after the subdomain switch and then suddenly today, everything fell off a cliff and very few of my hubs are appearing anywhere in the search results.

So far, the best theory I have seen is that Google reacted after a number of similar sites copied the actions of Hubpages and made the switch to subdomains to get out from under the Panda update.

My guess is that before, Panda only applied to the root domain and now it has been broadened to include subdomains as well. I am hoping that they will allow those who go through the claim process to verify authorship may be able to slip out from the noose once again.

I think that theory is highly unlikely.   Panda isn't run continuously.  It's run about once a month.  If HubPages sub-domains were going to be Panda'd, they'd all be slapped at the same time - and we'd be seeing reports from other webmasters who noticed the Panda update being run.

Besides, other sites didn't copy HubPages' idea - it's a natural reaction to Google's new emphasis on authorship.

1. lender3212000 profile image60
          lender3212000posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Blogger subdomains have faced a headwind for years. When was the last time you saw a .blogspot.com show up in the search results for a competitive search term?

If you think about it from the standpoint of a Google engineer, they developed Panda to prevent low quality search results and spam from showing up in the rankings. If sites were able to get around that by placing all authors on their own subdomain, that does remove the penalty from the quality authors but it also allows to garbage to rank again as well. I would imagine that dealing with that would probably be high on the priority list since they made such a big deal about announcing Panda.

Judging by what has just occurred, it is pretty safe to say that something of that nature has been implemented. While we may never know the exact details of how it works, the results seem to be pretty clear.

Sorry, edited my post while you were posting.

Google's algorithm regards a sub-domain as a standalone website.  Therefore it's possible to filter out the garbage sub-domains using Google's normal algorithm, without having to penalize the quality sub-domains. So there would be no need to slap HubPages as a whole. 

Besides, those of us who've seen the surge/crash phenomenon are not experiencing it all at the same time.  Panda runs on a specific day, approximately once a month.  If we were all being Panda'd, we'd all experience it around the same time.

1. lender3212000 profile image60
              lender3212000posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm not claiming to know the specifics of how it works but I can say with a reasonable degree of certainty based on the information I have available, this is tied directly to either how Google views the relationship between a subdomain and a root domain or how they view anything that ends in Hubpages.com.

So how do you explain those Hubbers whose sub-domains are doing well?  They also have Hubpages in their sub-domain name.

2. Lisa HW profile image61
              Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mine haven't been dramatic crashes.  They more been "disturbingly big dips over a day or so before they turn around and then reach a new all-time high for another few days and hover there until the next dramatic dip pattern starts again.  I should point out that the dips have been fairly wide spaced (a week or more apart), and that after each one I've ended up with a new all-time high (at least for now). Still, the pattern has been enough that I pretty much don't assume that even those new all-time high's will be permanent and/or will even return after any upcoming dips.

2. bgamall profile image68

Some are apparently being slapped at the same time. It is weekly and even more frequently than that. Google has gone MAD. They are just crazy.

5. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years ago

Those who are seeing big dips and rises, I've just created a survey Hub to collect specific data in one place.  Please post your stats in the comments.

http://marisawright.hubpages.com/hub/Hu … ges-survey

However, please note this is for data collection only.  If you leave a long wordy comment, I'll delete it!

Lisa, I've had to delete your comment for that reason.  I hope you'll try again using the format Wilderness and I have used.  Explanations are unnecessary,just the figures please.

6. profile image0
      SirDentposted 12 years ago

My traffic has also dropped.  It is almost non existent now.  It is in fact down to the levels after the first Panda run beofre subdomains were added.

In that case, please do and complete the survey at the link I posted.

The more data we can gather, the more chance we have of getting HubPages to look at the problem.

1. profile image0
          SirDentposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am working on it.  I am also going to post my Google Adsense page traffic report.

2. gracenotes profile image88
        gracenotesposted 12 years ago

I just added my statistics to Marisa's survey hub.

I was busy all day and did not have time to look at my account, but this evening, I noticed the huge, sudden drop in traffic.

3. Laura Marie profile image60
        Laura Marieposted 12 years ago

Thankfully its not just me then!! My traffic has halfed too! Things were back to pre-panda a few days ago but yesterday was an awful day for me. Let us hope this is temporary and not another google slap!!

4. seamist profile image62
        seamistposted 12 years ago

As of checking my account today, my traffic has had an unreal fall. I've gone from over 1000 views to less than 100 right now. Something is definitely wrong.

5. Adventure Colorad profile image78
        Adventure Coloradposted 12 years ago

I don't get near the views per day as some of you do, but I have not noticed any significant changes recently, I'm still plodding along very slowly.

6. SimeyC profile image88
        SimeyCposted 12 years ago

I just did a quick analysis of your stats hub - just reading the comments I notice at least four people (myself included) that saw a surge on or about 8/23 and then a plunge in early September - while it's a small survey so far it does seem there is some pattern!

7. SimeyC profile image88
        SimeyCposted 12 years ago

Just noticed that the recent plumbing contest started on August 21 - for several people the surge started August 23 - the contest ended yesterday - the traffic plunged for me yesterday! Coincidence?!

1. profile image0

This is interesting to note.  I also noticed that Mobile Content for Adsense was implemented on the Adsense Interface just a few days ago.

2. IzzyM profile image87

Complete coincidence. My traffic tumbled yesterday after having only surged the day before. Lucky white heather!

Enough of this Izzy.  You have produced far more than your share of radical changes are now allowed only one more big one; as you just plunged it will have to be a surge.

See that you make it so or you will be punished. smile

3. gracenotes profile image88
          gracenotesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hub plumbing contest?

Gives new meaning to the term "plunger."  smile

8. Richieb799 profile image74
        Richieb799posted 12 years ago

My second and third best hubs have almost collapse, from 200-500 views a day they are on 50

My best hub is holding strong on 1000 though, hoping its just a glitch

Richie its not a glitch you are feeling the wrath of Google like so many have reported already. Sorry to hear about this man.

Yes, it does sound like the plunge.  :-(

2. Richieb799 profile image74
            Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think I'm feeling a wrath because if that were true then my best hub wouldn't still be getting a huge amount of traffic and second on Google

Ok my mistake maybe its a glitch 500 views to 50 on your number 2&3 hubs? Its possible if you you think really hard. I was just speculating on what my self and others have stated about views and traffic. No harm smile

You will know if you get the wrath.  ;-)

2. Richieb799 profile image74
                Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, I know what it is, you can lose hundreds of views if your hub slips 3-4 positions, I'm still on page one but a few spammy pages have crept in from somewhere. And I might remove the summary I added to the other hub

9. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
        LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years ago

My views were dramatically less yesterday 09/06/2011 than from the previous two weeks, but like some have said HP was having technical issues (or at least I was), so maybe this was due because of it. Lets hope not.....cool

10. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
        PaulGoodman67posted 12 years ago

This slap is far worse than anything that I saw post panda.  My Google traffic is showing as *zero* in HP stats and my earnings are next to nothing now.

I have got a feeling that most, if not all hubbers will lose their traffic sooner or later, as the problem definitely appears to be gradually spreading (even before I lost my traffic I was concerned, as experienced hubbers who are clearly good writers and not at all spammy or amateurish were suffering).

I suspect that the underlying problems is more serious than problems with individual hubbers and relates to the Google and HubPages interaction.  I hope that I am wrong.

I have taken some individual action, but I am increasingly sensing that it will be Google or HP who has to fix this.  (I don't have any of these problems in Blogger or my own sites).

(ps I went to subdomains within a short time of Paul E announcing that we could and my traffic was hit on the Saturday of Labor Day Weekend)

11. profile image0

2011-09-05       415

2011-09-06        82

Something is definitely going on.  I don't get a lot of traffic anyway but this big a drop in a 24 hour period is way too big.  These are from thre HPads page on my account.

12. Hollie Thomas profile image60
        Hollie Thomasposted 12 years ago

I think there's some kind of glitch. I'm in the process of writing a hub and when I leave the hub, saved but unpublished, the views are not showing in account, which they normally do. So I would imagine other views are not being counted also.

13. seamist profile image62

As of 9:30 AM, my traffic is still pitiful, 179 views for 255 hubs. It's never been this bad even right after Panda. If this continues, HP needs to take off those success stories about everday experts earning money. At present, it's clearly false advertising and gives new hubbers the wrong impression. I clearly think this ship is slowly sinking.

14. Randy Godwin profile image60
        Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

I personally think Google is punishing content sites to promote their own related businesses and garner even more money and control over the internet.  It's the American way!  smile

Grew Scoogle!

1. bgamall profile image68

Screwgle.

15. seamist profile image62

Considering HP's ups and downs the last six months, if you're a new publisher here, you should definitely make sure you write in a tightly focused niche so if this continues, you can transfer your articles over to your own domain.

16. Richieb799 profile image74

The one hub of mine that is in question is still on page one but lower and one has dissapeared since I added a custom summary? :S

17. TamCor profile image82
        TamCorposted 12 years ago

I've gotten hit by the huge drop, too.  I don't have a ton of hubs, so I don't get the amount of hits that some do, but 28 hits in 24 hours is the worst I've ever had, even when I had 10 or so hubs!  For about a week before, I was having a great jump in traffic.

One of my Halloween hubs is responsible for almost half of my total hits, and this time of year it usually goes crazy.  Not the last two days, though... sad

18. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
        LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years ago

OK, something is definitely going on since by this time of day I normally have around 300 Google views, and as of right now they are just 3!!!.
        BTW HP stats are going through yet another technical difficulty syndrome since some of my stats have not updated in about 3 days....hmm

09/05/2011= 800 views
        09/06/2011=60 views
        09/07/2011= currently at 6 views!!!!!!!

1. David 470 profile image81
          David 470posted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is an insane drop!

2. Rosie2010 profile image67
          Rosie2010posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh Luis, sorry to hear this.  How awful.. is today better?

19. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 12 years ago

I've had a slight drop in views according to HP stats. Today I'm at 770 views, which is below my most recent average 800-1100 views per day. However, I have identified a problem with many of the summaries I wrote and I'm in the midst of changing them, for more details. smile

Not to mention, I'm also in the midst of doing my advertising for the day. I've taken a break to post in the forums and will return to finish. smile

20. David 470 profile image81
        David 470posted 12 years ago

Wait a minute...I do not think my drop has anything to do with Google. My best performing hubs are still in the same position.

A new video game came out yesterday that is similar to a lot of my hubs. I think gamers are are making more searches on that game at the moment, rather than keywords related to my hubs.

My position does not matter if my keywords are not being searched as much. I could be wrong, but it does seem funny that this big anticipated videogame came out yesterday and my videogame hubs are taken hits.

1. Silver Rose profile image65
          Silver Roseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You may be right.

Knock out a hub on the new game, link to it from your existing game hub, and see what happens.

21. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 12 years ago

Ok, I'm on the rollercoaster again. Back up to 4,000 views today. Not complaining about that but it's making me giddy!

I hope I didn't get on the kiddy rollercoaster... I want some big swoops up!

2. profile image0

That is good.  As of this moment I have exactly 1 view on Google adsense interface.  It is 6:03 AM. 

There is obviously something wrong here also.

Yesterday
          90 Impressions

Last 7 Days
          2,051 Impressions

1. dungeonraider profile image84
            dungeonraiderposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'll put this here since it might help.  My latest Constant Content submission has been submitted for eight days now.  Normally I hear back within five.  My Yahoo Contributor articles are seeing traffic (terrible) that is following the same pattern as my traffic on HP.  I'm talking small audiences to begin with compared to some of yours, but what I'm trying to point out is that the problem, for me anyway, is not with only HP (which I was initially worried might be the case).

22. Cheeky Girl profile image64
        Cheeky Girlposted 12 years ago

I noticed there have been power cuts across parts of the USA. I notices Twitter was over capacity parts of Thursday and that Hub were on and off a wee bit the other day. And Yahoo fired a big boss and is losing advertising revenues, as some advertisers took a powder, so the Big "Y" is in some trouble too, and is up for sale. So maybe it's a combination of things.

Of course, there is Facebook likes, Tweets, and any other Diggs or Stumbles or whatever social media book marks or backlinks you prefer - to choose from. And maybe time to re-check out the Google Plus Groups and Circles lark they recently rolled out too...

Just reminding folks! And remember we all have sub-domains now, so any affects on certain hubs will be attributed to just that hubber (or hubbers) - rather than the whole community. Hub Pages is better protected against future Panda-style updates.

It's obviously not happening to just one person...

I backlink all my hubs and other people promote them too, that's not the problem.  The problem is Google is putting us through a rollercoaster and dipping us in the sandbox.

1. profile image0
            Multimanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree and got an email from Hubteam on this very question telling me that google was checking out our sites and it would take a couple of weeks for this kind of violent swings and downs for things to settle out one way or another about how our traffic will be.

That is strange as I never had any noticeable 'ups and downs' in traffic after I changed to a Sub-domain. As I said, after a couple of weeks traffic went madly upwards in one day, and has stayed that way ever since. Not sure what might be different about my Sub-domain to anyone else's.

1. habee profile image92
                habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Same here, Misty. Do you hold a rabbit's foot when you check your traffic and earnings? I use a Great Dane paw. lol

LOL Habee, I have to settle for a cats paw smile

23. profile image0

I switched to the subdomains while they were testing (second run).  I have been thinking that maybe the traffic was an anoimaly when it was high.  it was higher than it had ever been.  Now it back to post Panda levels, possibly a little lower.  I know it makes me feel like unpublishing everything.  Even my highest traffic hub is getting very little attention. 

Anyone got a crying towel? 

Thanks for letting me blow off a little steam.

Hang in there Sir Dent.  A lot of people are reporting this, and many have recovered.  There have been a lot of ups and downs lately for a lot of people.

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
            Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mostly downs!  But just for those who write "awkwardly."  lol

1. habee profile image92

You know you don't write "awkwardly," Randy Godwin! You're just having a rough spot right now. Your traffic will come back - I know because I'm psycho...er...psychic.

2. habee profile image92

Wilderness, is your traffic still holding steady? Mine is. It's close to the same number every day, which is great.

1. profile image0

Mine is about the same every day now too.  The problem  is it is a low number of PVs.

2. wilderness profile image96

I missed this yesterday, Habee, but I'm falling a little today.  Not much - maybe a 100 views out of 1,000 - and I'm thinking that it is probably just Friday as all my Fridays are poor.

If it's not, though, I'm gonna be really P***d because I just today got links showing up in webmaster and that would be quite a coincidence.

3. PaulGoodman67 profile image94

Have there being recoveries?  I was thinking that the best you could hope for once you plunged was the occasional brief surge, followed by more plunging?

1. IzzyM profile image87

I know someone who plunged same day as me and Ms Chievous, 10th of August, who has since seen a sustained recovery.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

My traffic is up again, not making any predictions on whether it will last though.

2. Ms Chievous profile image66
          Ms Chievousposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are not alone Sir Dent! believe me I understand your  frustration!

24. Rosie2010 profile image67
        Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

My traffic was holding until yesterday.. it took a nosedive and today being Friday, I'm not holding my breathe because weekend traffic for me is always low.  Well, it was fun while it lasted, but why do I feel like crying?

The Party's Over...

Turn out the lights
        The party's over
        They say that
        All good things must end
        Call it tonight
        The party's over
        And tomorrow starts
        The same old thing again

1. profile image0

I will share with you.  Traffic is so bad I can only afford to buy one of these.

http://pix.auctiva.com/pix/10/00/06/CRYING_TOWEL_TOW-04.jpg

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
            Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Welcome back Sir.  I read somewhere that you had left us.

1. profile image0

Only the religion forum.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
                Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

gotcha

1. profile image0
                  Multimanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I got this from team hubpages:
                  Hello,

I'm not sure I understand your email.  Traffic fluctuations will continue on new subdomain accounts for several more weeks, until search engine algorithms assess the quality and reputation of your individual subdomain. You may want to verify that your Hubs are easy to read, are not benefiting from excessing/dubious back linking practices, and are not keyword stuffed. Let us know if you have any questions.

25. lender3212000 profile image60
        lender3212000posted 12 years ago

Very strange indeed. I fell off two days ago and have been dead ever since. Non-HP content performing just fine.

26. profile image0

Mine has fallen even further down.

27. kmackey32 profile image65
        kmackey32posted 12 years ago

Mine has also fallen for the last few days.....

28. profile image0

Mine is creeping back up.  It is slow but at least on the right track.

29. Richieb799 profile image74

My second and 3rd best haven't recovered, but my best is still getting 1000 views and still second on Google.

30. Neil Horton profile image60
        Neil Hortonposted 12 years ago

If you understand anything about business, then you might consider that Google too is a business. But implementing Google's Dance, it allows the company to make room for more sites to rank higher while others drop. By alternating page rankings, Google can increase page exposure. When you take into consideration that alternating page rank will allow Google to gather statistical information as to what sites are doing better than another. "think page testing". Also, if Google's cash cow "adsense", gets greater exposure though page rank manipulation without actually placing adsense sites to the head of the pack, then Google is in essence staying within it's contractural obligations with its publishers, while increasing click throughs on its advertising products. This is just a theory on my part. If Google is able to increase its click through inventory, then it allows room for more advertisers to compete, and publishers are still kept on an even playing field.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
      Necessary
      HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
      LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
      Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
      AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
      Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
      CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
      Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
      Features
      Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
      Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
      Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
      Marketing
      Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
      Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
      Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
      Statistics
      Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
      ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
      ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)