I have yet to find a movie that scares me.

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 61 discussions (95 posts)
  1. WaffleCheese profile image43
    WaffleCheeseposted 14 years ago

I don't know what it is . . . I usually find a movie that is recommended by a friend that will break me.

I, to this day, cannot find a horror movie that actually makes me scared. I'm not even a jumper.

I guess I'm just too good at knowing it is not real, which is why I tend to gravitate to the ones based on true stories. I'm up for anything though.

Well, if any of you have any suggestions I'll see what I can do and then if I rent that movie I'll let you know how it affected me.

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You just have answered your question yourself: "knowing it is not real". If you want to get scared, find things you are afraid of in real life, scared of and watch about it if you dare, period. I personally think horror movies are simply digusting.

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't know if I would consider this scary, but it's fictional based on real life and it will make you tense up while watching, I watched this movie sitting next to a career special ops military man, and he tensed up numerous times,
      http://thehurtlocker-movie.com/

3. emievil profile image68
      emievilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

*sigh* not another horror movie fanatic. LOL j/k. you would get along well with  my husband. He absolutely loves horror movies. the scarier, the better. The more suspense, blood and gore, the more interested he gets big_smile.

And your phrase "too good at knowing it is not real" also reminds me of his advice to me which is to always think the movie is not real and to see the actual story, not the scary make-up or the hair-raising sound effects smile.

4. Jonathan Janco profile image60
      Jonathan Jancoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wargames and The Shining . . . saw them both when I was nine. Ever since, no movie has managed to have anywhere near that kind of effect on me.

5. LViddamoy profile image61
      LViddamoyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think you need to find a horror movie that you can in someway relate to or one with characters you can empathize with. the problem with horror movies is that many of them are unreal and can end up like a gory comedy,it happens to me too. I there isnt sufficient character development, you will not feel for the victims.

6. dejajolie profile image59
      dejajolieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Paranormal Activity scared me.....and nothing really does, but I believe in demons so maybe that's why

7. Friendlyword profile image60
      Friendlywordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're best best is a horror movie with a good story line. The two I recommend is Aliens. and a TV Short series called THE STAND. There actually real movies. Not cheap thrills as they would say. Enjoy!

1. Friendlyword profile image60

Have you tried Books (Dean Koontz"THE BAD PLACE")

I forgot about the best scary movie you will ever see.
          THE KEEP

8. Shahzarimin profile image60
      Shahzariminposted 14 years agoin reply to this

some Asian Ghost movie will do you good.. go and check on DVD Beaver.com

9. spease profile image60
      speaseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Watch a movie from 1987 called Dolls.

10. profile image0
      L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There was a scientific test carried out in the UK where people were hooked up to heart monitors and made to watch horror clips. Apparently the scariest film is Friday 13th. Apparently the scariest bit is where Jason leaps out of the lake.

Dunno if that's any help.

11. Dark knight rides profile image60
      Dark knight ridesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hmm, I don't often find once that are scary, but I do enjoy a well-crafted one. have you seen "Let the Right One In"? It's a really well-done vampire movie, not in a scary, make-you-jump way, but well told story, well acted. I loved it.

12. Bluefeverx profile image59
      Bluefeverxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hey go to my profile and look at the hub "Some Great Horror movies to consider" , and aside from finding some cool movies to watch I think at least one film in that list will have a lasting effect on you something greater than terror.

1. Bluefeverx profile image59
        Bluefeverxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Alright, I was reading this to see if you replied yet, but I figured I would just tell you the name of the movie that "SCARED" me as you say. The name is "Martyrs" this movie is extremely graphic, and some find it distasteful. I wish I could explain to you the thoughts that crossed my mind the days after seeing this film. It wasn't "jumpy" scary it was the disturbing thoughts it left you with. Initially after seeing the film you may not feel it, but a day or two when reflecting on the film passively it'll sink in and should understand what I am talking about.

I really wanted you to visit my hub, but if you don't thats O.K. , but I thought I'd just tell you anyways.

13. Deborah Minter profile image92
      Deborah Minterposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Try the movie "World war Z".

2. Wonder_Woman profile image59
    Wonder_Womanposted 14 years ago

The exorcist always scared me bc its based on a true story

3. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

Have you seen the Haunting in Connecticut? Based on a true story. More creepy than scary to think what these people were trying to do.

1. WaffleCheese profile image43
      WaffleCheeseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it was actually the last one I saw. I thought it was hilarious.

Plus, I read about the 'real events'

Pretty much the family made it up. All have different versions, and they lived there for 2 years before 'anything happened' Google it, it's actually pretty interesting.

1. theageofcake profile image61
        theageofcakeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Movies billed as being "based on true events" are almost always sensationalized to the point of removing anything real.  One should always expect a level of fantasy in film.

Movies are generally not very scary to me either.  Creepy, occasionally, but never frightening.

2. profile image0
      R.G. San Ramonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

True, true. I highly recommend it too.

1. Paradise7 profile image70
        Paradise7posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Big ditto.  Freaked me right out.

4. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 14 years ago

The first Halloween movie scared me.
    The newer ones are too "technical" and silly.

And the Texas Chain Saw Massacre was scary.

And Helter Skelter was scary.

And the "SAW" movies are horribly creepy.

And Natural Born Killers.

But hey I'd rather you or anyone watch something good and thought-provoking like the Passion of the Christ,  or Flywheel, or Facing the Giants,  or Joshua.

But whatever.

5. Wonder_Woman profile image59

if you dont believe in that, read:
    "Possessed, The True Story Of An Exorcism." It was written by Thomas B. Allen

6. profile image0
    zampanoposted 14 years ago

Try to review visual coveries about Palestina, Iran, Afganistan
    and a touch of Congo, Guinea and Ethiopia
    Or simply a coverage about obesity in America, for instance.
    That's scary allright, man !

7. CMHypno profile image81
    CMHypnoposted 14 years ago

Well I was scared of Jurassic Park.  Let your imagination loose and feel that you are running away from those huge teeth....

8. torimari profile image67
    torimariposted 14 years ago

I am the same way Waffle dude. I have seen some of the most messed up films--especially some of the asian ones. smile

Yes, I know it is not real. That's part of why it doesn't scare me. But, of course people know Mike Myers from Halloween is not real or the story, but still get scared. Some people I think just have a more vivid imagination than me. There are more than just the realistic element that scares folks I'm sure.

I LOVE horror movies though. smile I still say Paranormal Activity was crapola.

9. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Sometimes it's a matter of being too aware that its all pretend; but people who have commented on the increasingly violent/real-seeming movies that have been coming out in the last several years have just made people who have seen a lot of them "immune" to them.  Movie-creators keep trying to top the last bunch, but it's gone on for so long now it's pretty hard to top a lot of what's already been done.  So, your quest to be scared at the movies may be a futile one.   lol

10. profile image0
    Wendi Mposted 14 years ago

My kids went to see that new "Paranormal Activity" with my sisters.  They said it was pretty creepy!

11. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Well maybe it's a good thing WaffleCheese that you haven't seen a movie that scares you, because if you did, it might scare you to death.

12. WaffleCheese profile image43

Some movies on the docket:

The carriers

Paranormal activity,

and the new Alien one coming out in November.

Any reviews?

1. torimari profile image67
      torimariposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Paranormal Activity, as I've voiced on here prior, was horrid. Not scary. Maybe if you believe strongly in ghosts/possession/demons, but it is a poor copy of Blair Witch (which, atleast gave me a creepy feeling). Don't waste your money.

Cannibal Holocaust made me cry...well, that's because they killed real animals. Truly horrifying.

1. jwmu311 profile image61
        jwmu311posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Read "House of Leaves"
        Watch Jimmy Fallon try to tell a joke.
        Seriously, "House of Leaves is pretty creepy.

13. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

To me, there is nothing that is not real.  Must be part of why science fiction / fantasy is my favorite genre.  I live any book I read (insurance textbooks gratefully excluded), ditto for any movie I watch.

So I surely can't help you one bit--no  point of overlap whatsoever!

14. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 14 years ago

Hmmm...that's a tough one since I don't know what horror films you've seen.  However, if you haven't tried psychological horror films yet, then I would recommend "Vertigo", "Psycho", or any of Hitchcock's other horror films that might scare you. 

Or if that doesn't work, you can try seeing the "Exorcist" and "Jaws."  Those films were pretty scary.

Then there are some foreign and independent horror films, like "Ringu" and "Blair Witch Project."  Neither of those films are based on real events, but they're portrayed in such a way, that you can't help but feel the authenticity of the terror itself, within both those films.  Anyway, I hope that helps.

15. WaffleCheese profile image43

I've seen vertigo, and I kept thinking, just .... stay on the ground? Jaws was more funny to me.

I have heard of a movie I need to watch 'In bruges?

Anyone?

16. WaffleCheese profile image43

I've seen Cannibal Holocaust....

I didn't find it scary so much as I found it, well, disturbing.

When that movie came out it was banned so many places because it convinced many people it was actually real. The animal killings were, but the human interactions were so compelling and well done that a lot of people thought it was real.

I would recommend cannibal holocaust if you want to have mental pictures in your head you want to just get rid of and can't.

17. Tom Cornett profile image81
    Tom Cornettposted 14 years ago

Fox news!  smile

18. Wonder_Woman profile image59

Movie review for Paranormal activity by pajiba.com

"You Are Powerless"

Paranormal Activity / Steven Lloyd Wilson

Film Reviews | September 28, 2009 | Comments (49)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paranormal Activity cannot help but be compared to The Blair Witch Project. It was made on whatever is less than a shoestring (a sockthread?) for just $11,000, by Oren Peli, a video game designer with no previous film experience of any kind. Cast a handful of unknowns, make them film themselves with a single camera, pretend that the film is actual found footage, do the production work yourself on your computer, and all of a sudden you’ve done made yourself a real live movie. Most of the time this process results in something that looks like the amateur film project it really is, but every once and a while it just plain works. When the director holds up his end of the proceedings and manages to luck out with unknown actors who can nevertheless carry the film, the end result is a film like Paranormal Activity.

The film begins with brief text explaining that the following footage was recovered by the San Diego Police Department, and then introduces us immediately to the two leads. Micah (played by Micah Sloat) meets Katie (Katie Featherston) at the door of their house, filming her with the video camera he just purchased in order to document the “paranormal activity” that they’ve been seeing. The film quickly establishes that this sort of thing has been following Katie for years, since she was a little girl, terrified of the dark figure in her room. This simple observation lets the film escape from that easy loophole of haunted house flicks: leaving simply won’t do any good, the problem is Katie, not the house.

The film progresses from there, with a steadily mounting progression of paranormal activity, punctuated by gaps in the timestamping of the video footage. Something horrific might happen, followed by a night of minor disturbances, and then three days of nothing before something terrible happens again. It gets worse overall, but the unpredictability from moment to moment keeps the audience tense. Horror films typically are built on a sequence of horror, relief, worse horror, relief, etc. After each instance of horror the tension evaporates and the audience relaxes until it recognizes the build up to worse horror. Paranormal Activity doesn’t play by that rule book, the uncertainty never really allowing the tension to relax through the entire film.

The two lead actors simply carry the film. If they weren’t top notch, all the tension and believability would drain immediately out of this film. They use their real first names, presumably in order to make the interactions feel more natural. They have an easy reparte, that comfortable humor and teasing of a real couple. From start to finish, there is an amazing amount of humor and nuance to the characters, even as the tension weighing upon them becomes suffocating. Katie and Micah fight more as the film goes on, but they argue the way a real couple does, the muttering under the breath, the irrational nit picking, the half joking barbs. They’re not too eloquent and smooth around the edges to be real people.

Katie magnificently conveys a confident young woman who gradually slips further and further from sanity. She exudes a quiet dry wit, reminiscent of Pam from “The Office” but with more curves. As the film progresses, she swings wildly in her desperation, from sobbing to screaming to angry denial to passive aggressive sniping at Micah. Micah plays that guy who pisses you off in horror movies, the one who pushes all the wrong buttons and looks in all the rooms that he shouldn’t. But simultaneously, his response is so natural: it is his house, he will fix the problem, he will protect his girlfriend. He goads the invader, stands up to it, taunts it, dares it to show itself. It’s a clever underlying point that Micah’s defiance is the leverage that opens the door wider bit by bit.

The faux documentary style of it is a little rough now and then, but evens out since most of the footage is taken when they set up the camera for the night looking out over their bed and down the hall, passively taking in the events. Even when they grab the camera to film throughout the house, it is rational from the point of view of Micah: no one will believe this unless it’s on film. Paradoxically, the more insane the activity becomes, the more important it is for it to be captured, for their own peace of mind. The continuous filming becomes a point of sanity for the characters. Several times, we watch them play back the previous night’s footage, watching over and over trying to figure out what’s happening.

And what’s actually happening is terrifically dark. I’ll not spoil the film here, but suffice to say that the activity is not just increasingly obnoxious footsteps and lights turning on and off. There is serious psychological horror here, events that while not visually spectacular are emotional gut punches within the carefully constructed context of the characters.

But let’s be frank, the same people who hated Blair Witch will hate this film. The crowd I saw it with was overwhelmingly positive when the lights finally came back up, but there were a few of those guys. “That was it? What was so scary about that? A bunch of noises? Come on.” I think that people who don’t get why films like this are terrifying are having a fundamental disconnect. Mediocre films rely on you thinking that what is happening on the screen is frightening in and of itself, that’s why they depend on those jump cuts where the camera pans and then jerks back because something is suddenly there that wasn’t before, never mind that if the character was real, he or she would have seen it on the first camera pass. Good horror relies on you empathizing with the characters, in other words, the events depicted would be terrifying if they happened to you.

The noise from the other room, the door you swore you closed, that creepy feeling of being watched, suddenly waking up in the middle of the night certain someone was standing next to the bed. Those things scare the living shit out of each of us at some point. Sure, on the screen there isn’t much inherently frightening about the sound of footsteps, an odd gust of air and a moving sheet, but when you’re laying in bed tonight, half asleep with the lights off, imagine hearing the steps coming towards you, imagine that hot breath exhaling on your neck and the sheets sliding slowly off your legs. And when you yelp and lunge for the light and check under the bed and in the closet, whisper to yourself that a few bumps in the night aren’t that scary.

19. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

The realer the better...

1. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

hey man. where you been? how are ya? I missed you.  smile

1. profile image0
        fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Gee, you been here only 3 days...how do you even know me? Just asking...big_smile

1. profile image0

ha ha
          smile
          I have been here nearly a year
          its just my new name
          Im stalking you...  wink

1. profile image0

Is that Dennisematt...?

1. profile image0

dennisematt? whos that?
              you know my story..
              smile
              cant say my name
              but i stil got a batch of cokies for ya!!!!

1. profile image0

ooops cookies

1. profile image0

Why do you keep changing IDs?

1. profile image0

sorry. Just found this comment
                    Can I email you? I would rather not put all of my silly story out here in the forums...I feel a little stupid...but I know your a busy guy, being all self employed...
                    smile

20. michael1mars profile image39
    michael1marsposted 14 years ago

Theses days nothingis really scarry you have to watch stuff that messes with your head.HEre`s a few good ones their not necessarly scary but good enough
    The Forgotten
    Silent Hill
    The Mist
    The Ophanage
    The Window

21. davecunning profile image58
    davecunningposted 14 years ago

When "Blair Witch Project" was released, I went in blind -- that is, not knowing anything about the movie prior -- and I was shook for days after. 

Not sure you could get the same effect anymore from that movie, but it's a good method to try.

22. izzy_giggles profile image59
    izzy_gigglesposted 14 years ago

One movie that scares me still to this date

THE DEVILS BACKBONE - the new one :b

23. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

The last scary movie I saw was The Ring on DVD.  I'm careful about what I play on my DVD player now.

24. animus_r profile image59
    animus_rposted 14 years ago

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098486/

I don't know if this movie is actually scary or just weird and gross.  I saw it maybe fifteen years ago and it really scared me.

25. HC23 profile image57
    HC23posted 14 years ago

I know your pain. Maybe it's because I've seen a ton of horror movies and I just don't get scared anymore. Things seem predictable to me in every horror movie I watch. People and critics keep saying movies are scary,but they are not. If you're like me, skip Paranormal Activity. I laughed more than anything. I suggest a movie called Autopsy. It was freaky on some level, at least to me. And it's very hard for me to think that about movies. It's a bit weird and a bit gory, but had some good jumps in it. Also, try any movie from an Asian country. Not the U.S. remake but the actual asian film.

26. hudsonj1994 profile image61
    hudsonj1994posted 14 years ago

Get the paranormal activity!!! it will scare you sooo bad!

27. Mike Lickteig profile image74
    Mike Lickteigposted 14 years ago

The Exorcist got to me when I first saw it, and while I don't find it necessarily "scary" now, it is still disturbing to me.  I don't know that I would call "The Shining" a truly scary movie, but it was a chilling moment when the wife looks at what Jack Nicholson had been typing for months and saw it was "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy", over and over.

I have a fear of large dogs, so Cujo got to me, but that doesn't mean it was a scary movie--it just pressed the right buttons for me.

28. conundrum profile image69
    conundrumposted 14 years ago

Hey WaffleCheese,

Sounds to me like psychological horror might "work" better for you, since films like that MIGHT be "real."

Example: THE GAME--This movie is all about not knowing what's real and what isn't. Still one of my favorites.

Then, there's frightening scenarios that aren't all that far-fetched.

Example: ON THE BEACH (either version; the recent TV-movie was actually done very well). I found that both tragic and terrifying. I watched it with my boyfriend in the middle of the night and we both couldn't go to sleep for several hours afterwards. (P.S. I had a really creepy nightmare after reading the book, and I usually don't have nightmares at all.)

Give these a try (if you haven't seen them already) and let us all know what they do for you.

29. aware profile image66
    awareposted 14 years ago

try devils rejects or citizen x

30. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

I'm usually not the type to recommend movies, cos I study movies for myself, and I dont expect people to like what I like, but this year, I was impresssed with the movie, The Ruins...check it out...

31. WaffleCheese profile image43

Anyone else excited for 'the 4th kind?'

32. cramras profile image58
    cramrasposted 14 years ago

It's old, but what about the television mini-series "The Morning After?" For those who don't recall, this came out during the height of the cold war and was about what the U.S. would look like the morning after a nuclear attack. It apparently scared Ronald Reagan so much that he wrote in his diary that we must never let nuclear war happen. I haven't seen it in decades, but with the recent threat of other countries potentially getting the bomb, I've been thinking about watching it again.

It's the kind of "scary" that sticks with you well after the movie.

33. Lady_E profile image74
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

Well, cross my heart I saw the most horrendous horror movie this week on TV. I had to keep on looking away, but kept on peeping. lol.

It was SAW - One I never want to see again.

Surely, that should scare at least half the pants off you.

34. Fresh_Flower profile image59
    Fresh_Flowerposted 14 years ago

Ok - I don't like horror movies with zombies, vampires, ghosts  etc... they are just so predictable.

However there are some more movies with horrible scenes where you just can't keep looking. 1) Irreversible and 2) Salo (based on Marquiz de Sade's book) .

These movies shouldn't be classified as entertainment, they are truly disgusting but they make you scared...

35. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 14 years ago

hmmm...have you tried seeing like rosemary's baby?  psycho?  those films were very good.  plus, if you see ringu, that was one heck of a scary movie as well.  or if you want realism, then i would suggest, the blair witch project.  that film seemed so real, you'll literally get scared trust me.

36. Jackson Riddle profile image46
    Jackson Riddleposted 14 years ago

I laughed during several parts of Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I too am yet to be scared of any movies but I have "jumped" a couple of times when unexpected things happen. I'm not sure if this movie was actually scary but as a kid I thought the movie, can't think of it's name right at this moment (it's on the tip of my tongue), that's it, it was called Urban Legends and I was about 12 when I saw it. Great Movie though, I think.

37. sumosalesman profile image61
    sumosalesmanposted 14 years ago

"Audition" might do it for you, because it's so plausible.  There are other tricks it uses to get at you, and the horror concepts are gruesome.  If you get into the main character's experience, you'll feel his whole world permanently break.  I can watch any monster movie without really batting an eye, but "Audition" made me physically ill like no movie ever has.  In the last few minutes I felt like I was about to pass out or have a heart attack, and I've always been in decent health.

38. Pr0metheus profile image58
    Pr0metheusposted 14 years ago

Event horizon?

Reefer Madness (lol)?

Give us some info about your daily life.  What do you do on a daily basis?

39. profile image0
    assemberposted 14 years ago

I think everyone should watch

"The Happening"

By

M. Night Shyamalan

1. dejajolie profile image59
      dejajolieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I thought that was horrible! I was so disappointed

40. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I know a lot of ppl won't agree with me but I always found the Final Destination movies scary...and I want to go see Paranormal Activity because I do believe in that sort of thing. But like you WaffleCheese horror movies don't scare me anymore and I find it sad. I love horror movies!

41. HWP profile image61
    HWPposted 14 years ago

I think possibly the scariest film I have watched to date is REC - I don't scare easily and it scared the pants off me LOL!

Worth a watch, seriously!

42. profile image0
    assemberposted 14 years ago

Well, the happening is not the standard visual horror flick, for me the key lies in the what if ?

43. MovieGuruOnline profile image61
    MovieGuruOnlineposted 14 years ago

My review on Paranormal activity will be done soon!  its a good one thats all i will say for now you will have to check out my hub for more info on that movie.   I will let you in on some movie insight, its not the movie itself that will scare you, its the music and sound effects.  Film makers us this type of technique to scare you or make you fill said.  Its an emotion jerker.  So if you want to be scared you need to find a movie that has alot of these technique.  An example would be to watch a movie that has made you cry no watch it again with no sound. A couple suggestions would be
    1. stay away from slasher films these are to predicable
    2. try foreign films
    3. Try movie like The grudge

1. profile image0
      L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Try 'The Ring' before 'The Grudge'.

I am a lover of horror films and am looking into careers involving writing horror scripts - 'The Grudge' did just make me laugh whereas the end of 'The Ring' is quite scary.

Watch 'The Orphanage' if you want a good foreign horror film. It's an amazing ghost story.

44. WaffleCheese profile image43

The grudge?

That was more of a 'jump-y' film.

It did nothing to me as I was able to predict it pretty well.

I have heard that foreign films are the way to go. I'll try that!

1. profile image0
      Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am with you WaffleCheese, that movie didn't scare me, nor did it even make me jump sad it was sad....

45. Midasfx profile image65
    Midasfxposted 14 years ago

your best bet is to not watch any horror movies. Tere are people who are just too critical. See things in black in white. Your better off sticking to the national geographic channel. I have seen tons of horror movies and enjoy all of them. Sure maybe some are scary, creepy, suspensful, and make me jump, but thats becuase i dont over think about the movie im watching. " this is bad acting, why do they always run upstairs, this isnt real, this doesnt happen, this is so fake" These thoughts never enter my mind. and because of that, i find horror movies very enjoyable. Specially asian horror.

46. Tora Glory profile image60
    Tora Gloryposted 14 years ago

Well it really depends on what kind of horror you're looking for.

"Jumpy" horror may get you in the theater, but you laugh about it outside.  Some classic examples are slasher films, where the killer jumps out from behind corners to get cheap thrills. They never really stay with you.

Gory horror may sicken you to your stomach, but that's because it's gross, not really scary.  See any of the eight million sequals to Saw and you'll understand.

Actually scary horror to me is from what I call creepy horror.  It may not make you jump in the theater but it will haunt your nightmares for weeks.  Movies like The Shining, Misery, or Vertigo.  Even Jaws, because I still hear that music whenever I go to the beach.

Of course, you have to want to be scared. Just let yourself fall deep into the film and go with the flow. Just remember that horror is different for everyone, so play around to see what works.

47. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

Maybe the trick is to read the book and let your own imagination provide the scare factor.
    That worked for me for
    Misery (although the movie's pretty good) and
    Red Dragon (movie version Manhunter with a young, thin William Peterson from CSI is also good).

48. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

The ring. Great movie.

49. Shinkicker profile image53
    Shinkickerposted 14 years ago

I'm not a Horror fan but I did enjoy 'The Blair Witch Project', it drew me in and was very clever on meagre resources budgetwise.

50. kwalters profile image60
    kwaltersposted 14 years ago

I'm old, born in the 50s.  When I was little, as our family story goes, my paternal grandmother visited us in Detroit.  She had never seen television.  When she did, she was absolutely convinced the shot cowboys and indians were actually dead in western movies.  You won't get scared, nowadays, by movies.  They are not real.  If based on fact, they still are not real, but the situation might appall you.  If bloody and gory enough by special effects, they might disgust you, but fear--I don't think so.  If suspenseful, they might startle you.  But, they won't scare you as long as you know they are not real.  The movies mentioned are good movies, in most cases.  I liked Cloverfield, but it really didn't scare me. For true fright, you may have to play chicken with oncoming traffic or look at the prices of grocieries nowadays.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)