Why do you mow your lawn?

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (55 posts)
  1. William R. Wilson profile image60
    William R. Wilsonposted 14 years ago

Strange question maybe, but why do you do it?  I mow only because I rent and have to maintain the yard as part of my lease agreement.  If I owned I would try to find a way to never mow.

What about you?  Do you mow because you want your house to look nice?  Do you get some other benefit from it?  Or do you just hate it and only do it because you have to (because of neighborhood bylaws or rental agreement?)

1. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't mow, the mexicans do it.

1. starme77 profile image76
        starme77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

wink wink Nice Idea smile

2. profile image0
      BBManposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Two reasons:
      1) To make my house look nice.
      2) To be able to see my chihuahua when she goes outside!!!

3. Jeff Berndt profile image72
      Jeff Berndtposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Only because my wife likes it to look neat. I can't think of a bigger waste of time, fuel, and effort than maintaining a lawn. Given the choice, I'd let it go wild.

4. KeithTax profile image72
      KeithTaxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Have you considered a goat? In the fall, after the grass is done growing, you can butcher the goat for a snack.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
        Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is true, also Llamas do a good job of grazing the grass and kicking the coyotes out. Alpacas are good grazers and their wool is highly prized by spinners and knitters-- you don't have to eat them to gain a profit. The baby alpacas are almost too cute.
        We have all of these natural lawnmowers in our rural area. Some animal owners rent them out. They also provide good  natural fertilizer. Not suitable for city or suburbs I guess, but they are part of the natural life here.
        Of course there ale also the native deer. They especially like roses.

5. the pink umbrella profile image75
      the pink umbrellaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

we mow our lawns because if we let them just grow wild, there is more chance of infestations such as field mice, ticks, chiggers...it just so happens that it looks nice. imagine walking to your car and getting chiggers...yuck.

6. profile image56
      purple cowposted 13 years agoin reply to this

To keep the grass short!

2. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

I dont  mow, my husband wont let me near the mower, hes afraid Ill break it.

He does it to keep the bugs down

3. Peter Hoggan profile image68
    Peter Hogganposted 14 years ago

So i can see out my windows!

4. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

It's that time of year and we do it to keep the snakes away from the house, lol. Life in the country by a pond and the critters will roam if you don't keep it up. I'm another one that doesn't get to use the mower though, dad is afraid I will break it, lol. Doesn't bother me though I don't like mowing out by the highway and there are several steep banks I would rather not ride sideways on. As long as dad can do it and wants to we let him cause at 74 it keeps him going to be helpful. I know in another few years that won't be so but he likes to mow the yard always has its relaxing to him and gives him time to ponder and such.

1. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

yup. good points. hubby loves to mow, he feels good that hes accomplished something. I have no arguements aobut letting him do it, as its the ONLY thing he does!!  smile

5. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I own my home and I want the yard to look nice... mowing helps it grow and I don't want creatures slithering though my grass (although they do slither through some vines I have, a baby was on my patio the other day..) I think a yard looks 'sad' when it's not mowed.
    part of my yard is more natural looking and covered with trees and my dogs path, so no grass is growing. I like the look.

my son mows it. smile

6. Greek One profile image62
    Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

My wife likes things to be clean down there

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
      Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I swear you ALWAYS beat me to these remarks.  You need to get out of my head.

7. Disturbia profile image59
    Disturbiaposted 14 years ago

I don't mow, my husband does. He mows the front of the property and the immediate back yard because he likes the property to look nice and I think its therapy for him.  We also have two yorkies and they are pretty small, if the grass gets too high, we can't find them.

8. Beelzedad profile image58
    Beelzedadposted 14 years ago

I just love riding around on my John Deere drinking beer. It just happens to cut the grass at the same time.  smile

1. Jerami profile image57
      Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Best answer yet.

9. Urbane Chaos profile image90
    Urbane Chaosposted 14 years ago

It keeps the Chia Pet population under control.

10. myownworld profile image73
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

...because I love the smell of freshly mowed grass... smile

1. profile image0
      Audreveaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh me too! One of my favourite smells.

2. aware profile image67
      awareposted 14 years agoin reply to this

what she said . as a kid me and my cousins push mowed old graveyards in ohio . it was the coolest. till dusk that is then we wanted my uncle to hurry up and pick us up.

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it is a nice smell, reminds me of my childhood.

4. Jane@CM profile image61
      Jane@CMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Me too - love the smell!

My son mows it now, we have a large lot & lots of grass.  I like our yard to look its best.

11. profile image0
    Audreveaposted 14 years ago

Cut crass is nice and springy underfoot. Who knows what might be hiding in longer grass?

12. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

seems many of us think the same .

13. kerryg profile image84
    kerrygposted 14 years ago

We mow so the neighbors won't hate us, but we've dug up 2/3 of the front lawn and replaced it with shrubs, flowers, and ornamental grasses because lawns are boring, especially in the front where the kids don't play anyway.

The back is fenced, so we don't worry as much about dealing with it. We've left a play area for the kids, but let the clover run amok in the rest. I keep digging up more back there, too. smile

14. starme77 profile image76
    starme77posted 14 years ago

well I get out the big ole commercial industrial weed-eater I used when I had a property maintenance business and cut it to the dirt so I dont have to do it often smile Though I look a little funny to the neighbors with my mountain machine - I dont care - I cut my lawn 1 time to their 3 LOL smile

15. donotfear profile image82
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

Why do you brush your teeth?

1. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So my breath won't offend when I'm lost in your kiss!

1. donotfear profile image82
        donotfearposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Aaaaahhhhh!

http://comps.fotosearch.com/comp/BDX/BDX003/woman-lying-grass_~bxp229498.jpg

2. Padrino profile image61
      Padrinoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

To get the grass clippings out of them after I mow my grass.

1. donotfear profile image82
        donotfearposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol lol

16. H.C Porter profile image80
    H.C Porterposted 14 years ago

My husband mows- I think because our neighbor has the perfect lawn, and he doesnt want to appear as if we are white trash with a jungle in the front of the house. It is also because our kids play outside everyday-and we live in the country so if you dont mow- there is no telling what will end up hiding in the grass (field mice-snakes etc)

17. profile image50
    lucaslevequeposted 14 years ago

hi

18. Jeffrey Neal profile image67
    Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years ago

I like the yard to look nice, and I actually enjoy the activity of mowing grass.

I prefer to do it on my own terms, though. Most lawns around here tend to be bermuda, and that grass will rule your life. Sometimes it has to be mowed more than once per week and requires constant maintenance.

This ends up being a huge waste of time, so a few years ago I killed everything, expanded the size of the beds to plant more flowers and shrubs that require almost zero care, and tore up the rest of the yard and planted zoysia.

Zoysia grass is perfect because it chokes out weeds, grows in moderate shade, grows slowly, doesn't need a lot of fertilizer and water like bermuda, and if you never mow it, it still only gets about 6" tall.  Now the yard is my playground instead of my taskmaster.

1. profile image0
      BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

what a great rely, I'm going to look into Zoysia grass and see if it's available here.
      Thanks Jeffrey

19. Greek One profile image62
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

i have a illogical hatred for blades of grass. 

They think they're so smart!

20. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

We have to mow, brush and weedwhack. If not, the dry vegetation in late summer would provide a fire ladder into the trees.  People who live in the foothills of California  are wary of wildfires.

21. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

i don't even like wasting water to keep it green - so i don't. but don't have to worry about forest fires in my immediate community. one day i'll get rid of it all and put in something nicer with plants and stones etc.  so i hire someone to do it and then let it die when summer comes and darn it keeps growing back - underneath (few inches) is beautiful rock.  have to basically mow your lawn most months of the year where i live.

22. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

I think in Canada you can be fined if you don't mow, though I am not sure. When I had a house, we used to mow up to 2 times a week during summer! Nuts! I think in my old country they do better: they grow fuits and vegetables, not grass everywhere! More work -  more satisfaction. You cannot eat grass!

1. Greek One profile image62
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I live in Canada and one time i did not cut my grass and the "Lawn Police" came by and beat me severely with my own weed whacker (no, not that weed whacker.. the one i use to actually cut my weeds)

1. profile image0
        Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think so , Greek One! Though they can beat your wallet pretty good!

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

neighbours would get upset if i had 2 feet of grass and weeds growing of course.  but people don't like it when you waste water on grass anymore either.  so mine dies off pretty quik and doesn't grow more than a couple of inches when it happens, all yellow, and stays that way until the fall.  so i get a break from the stupid grass for about 3 months in summer...yep - can't eat grass....

23. Origin profile image60
    Originposted 13 years ago

When I do mow it's a relaxing way to get outside, smell the fresh cut grass, and listen to my headphones.

big_smile

24. raisingme profile image76
    raisingmeposted 13 years ago

We basically mow our lawns for the same reason the chicken crossed the road - because it's there!  I love the way newly mowed lawn smells but I love walking barefoot in tall grass.

Chickens cross the road to get to the other side. You mow your lawn for the same reason people climb mountains.  smile

1. raisingme profile image76
        raisingmeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

you are correct - that made me smile!  I blame my brain burp on too many fumes from the lawn tractor!

25. manlypoetryman profile image80
    manlypoetrymanposted 13 years ago

It gives my tractor something to do!

26. profile image0
    BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years ago

I mow my lawn when my wife tells me too, she say's it makes the house/ garden look tidier.

27. BritFun profile image59
    BritFunposted 13 years ago

Makes the place look nice!   Or at least it stops it looking TOO much of a wreck.

28. Polly C profile image90
    Polly Cposted 13 years ago

If we didn't mow the lawn then there would come a time when we could not get to the other side of the garden without getting grass in our eyes and soaking wet if it had been raining. When I was very young i had a friend who's family never cut the grass at all, and believe me it was a jungle and we could not even see each other in the garden (though we were only about nine, so not really tall). Fun for children and great for hide and seek, but very bad for barbeques etc.

29. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I'm the only one who grows grass for compost, I guess. None of my neighbours on this housing estate have a lawn - their gardens are functional with patios and plants in proper planters and they all look great.
    I'm a gardener and grow the grass to improve the soil, which not so long ago was a dry embankment. It looks good too - it's really green in color and doesn't require much water. When it does rain it needs cutting a lot, but that just gets more more raw material for my compost heaps!
    My garden has earthworms now - and none of my neghbours do. Hmmm...I can see another money-making opening developing here...

The best reason, so far!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)