Made only $14.00 on Google Adsense in what is now 8th month?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (44 posts)
  1. Jean Bakula profile image91
    Jean Bakulaposted 12 years ago

I seem to have come to HP just before all the changes. I have put in almost F/T hours on the days I write my hubs. I've read whole books, not only the ones I review, but for material for my hubs. I think what I write is well written and informative. I kept hoping as I got more readers, the money would slowly trickle in. I checked Google Adsense today, and I only made .35 cents last month. I've never sold one Amazon item. When one of my readers said he bought something on one of my Amazon capsules, it was in the 40 percent Amazon takes. Pretty crappy for the first time I had an order. I get a message I'm making 3 or 4 dollars from HP monthly the last two months. I learned how to put RSS feeds on hubs, and have drawn attention to my Astrology hubs, the ones I began with, to improve them, as I'm a more experienced hubber now. But I really hoped I'd make a little money. What am I doing wrong? I read hubs that I feel are poorly written, boring subjects, punctuated incorrectly and have spelling mistakes. But many people who write them have 99 and 100 scores. Maybe I'm not cool enough for the clique? What's up?

1. MPG Narratives profile image60
      MPG Narrativesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If it makes you feel any better I have been here longer than you and have not earned much either. Sorry, I bet you didn't want to hear that.

Basically it takes a lot of hard work with SEO, researching keywords, backlinking and many (full time) hours to really make money with online writing. There are no tricks or quick fixes and the panda slap has not helped at all.

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
        Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry MPG, but that's not necessarily true. I do none of the things you mentioned and have already made my Adsense payout this month.

The truth is, not many people here write about things which aren't already well represented on the net.  This is when you must backlink all over the place to get views, and even then it depends on the subject.

Amazon is different.  I really don't trust them very much because of recent anomalies.  And we have no way of knowing what time share we get on Amazon products here either.

The Panda slap, because of HP's ignoring Google policy, has vastly lowered the pay-per-click rate we once enjoyed.  I figure I'm losing 2/3's of what I should be earning on Adsense now.

1. MPG Narratives profile image60
          MPG Narrativesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Lucky you, want to tell me your secrets?? smile

I already have!  It's in my second paragraph on your quoted post.  smile

2. DangerZone profile image58
          DangerZoneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

may you tell me how did you get an adsense account

i made about 7 new emails because every email gets a refuse and dont know what to do now

Jean Bakulaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Go on your page that lists your hubs. There' s a link to Google, or Google them about Adsense. They ask a few questions, like are you a business or your personal info, in this case tell them it's so you can work on Hubpages.com. I have heard they are giving people trouble though. For better advice, go on the main Forum here, where it says, "Stuck, need help?" Someone who knows answers in less than an hour, always. Best.

2. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As far as the Google Ad Sense thing goes, these days (and at least for now) that whole low-earnings thing has been a factor for, probably, most people (to one extent or another, and on one day or another).  You may be right that your timing hasn't worked out well, because eight months has been kind of the point where a lot of Hubbers were starting to see earnings make good progress.

I don't have a clue about the HP earnings thing.  I'm wondering if there's a chance the RSS feeds are actually something that could be creating problems for you.  I don't know what you got for feeds, but maybe that's something to double-check the new rules about.

High author scores don't particularly reflect people's earnings, so even factoring them into your pondering about your own earnings issues isn't something to do.  Also, I can't speak for any of all those other people who find themselves with a score in the high 90's or 100, but I can tell you there's no "click" involved that I've ever been aware of.  I write Hubs.  I come to the forums if/when I'm in the mood to see if there's something that interests me.  I answer questions when/if I'm in the mood.  In the 3-plus years I've been on here, I've had, I think, about four direct e.mails between me and HubPages (which are different from the routine ones sent to a group of people), and three of those were about post-Panda rules changes.  One was an issue I raised and got a reply to.  In the same time, I've had about (I think) three one-time-only, e.mail contacts with other Hubbers; and a one-time-only phone conversation with one other one.  So, I don't know about anyone else scores a few points higher than yours, but I'm pretty much a loner on here, at least in terms of having any dealings that might be described as "being part of a clique" goes.   smile  HP ads are fairly new (only two months of being paid so far).  I'd imagine if you're able to figure out what's slowing down those earnings, you'll probably see a difference with at least those.  Google?  Who knows...   I know I sure don't know with regard to my own.   hmm

My experience here is similar to yours, Lisa.  I've gotten very few emails from hubbers and only a few from staff concerning a hub. 

If there is a "clique" here, other than a certain respect among members regardless of score, I'm not aware of it either.  It is one of the few things still admirable about HP.  smile

3. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was starting to get around $8 per month with adsense, now it's about $2 per month.  It didn't seem to take long to get to $50, but now seems like forever before it will get to the $100 payout.

1. Jane Bovary profile image85
        Jane Bovaryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

BB,

MORE than forever, since here in Australia we have to reach $150 before payout. I just hope I live to see it..smile

1. profile image0
          Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

really?  That's even worse

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
            Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This was setup some time back by Google Australia when the Aussie dollar was about the .70 to .80 US cents mark.

Currently with the Greenback weaker than the Aussie dollar, it will take us Aussie's longer to reach payout.

4. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Honestly, Jean, I'm not entirely surprised.  You have some great Hubs, but you don't know how to set them out properly.   

Online, I find you need to make your paragraphs much shorter than you would in a book.  You write long paragraphs,which on a computer screen means your text looks horribly indigestible and an effort to read, in spite of the good content. 

That means you're losing your readers long, long before they get to your Amazon capsules, if you put them at the end of your Hubs - totally the wrong place to be. And even when you have them closer to the right place, the products are wrong.

There is only one way to make Amazon sales, and that is to have highly relevant products immediately adjacent to their related text.  If you can't find a product that is relevant to your text, there's no point in using an Amazon capsule - it will only distract your readers from clicking on your other advertising.

I like to give an example of Bard of Ely who wrote a Hub on the Black Madonna of Tenerife.  If he had Amazon capsules displaying books on Tenerife, there's an outside chance he might make a sale.  What he really needs is a book on the Black Madonna herself. That's how relevant your products need to be.  Better to have one perfect product than three or four vaguely relevant ones.

It looks like you're also over-using the suggestion tool.  If you're linking to your own Hubs, that's OK - but every time you put a link to someone else's Hub in your text, you're inviting your readers to leave your Hub without clicking on an ad.  The serious money-makers on HubPages have never paid any attention to Hub Karma, and don't use the tool.

Finally, I don't think there is a clique, and even if there was, it wouldn't matter.  No one makes money from other Hubbers.  All your paying traffic comes via the search engines.  You can improve the visibility of your Hubs by learning how to create links on other sites, back to your Hubs.

I want to thank you all for your comments. I just began the feeds, and am not sure if that's affecting things. At least I feel that many people are doing the same. I didn't expect quick money, but did think it would be a little better after 6 months. Marisa, I will keep all your suggestions in mind. I do write long things, could be more consise. I did begin rewriting hubs, and have moved many  Amazon capsules to the second capsule. Some hubs I write don't really have good products, except for books on the topic, so I won't bother to put Amazon on then. I rarely come on the forums unless I'm stuck, and always get prompt answers. Thanks everyone!

Oh, and I never used the link suggestion tool, and stopped doing Hub Karma, since I realized that if I didn't link to my own hubs, I'd be sending people away. People seem to enjoy the content, everyone writes me to say they liked what they read, so they are sticking around to read the whole things. I try to pick interesting topics myself, I don't research keywords, and when I tried, it was not helpful.  I'll hang in there, try a few different things, and see what happens.

2. Jean Bakula profile image91

Marisa,
        The more I ponder, the more confused I feel. Indigestible? Are you eating my hubs? Since you think they are too long, you must be getting lots of fiber. And one sentence does not a paragraph make, dear. Watch your grammer.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

Jean, I'm very aware that one sentence does not usually make a paragraph and I didn't say it did - nor did I create any single-sentence paragraphs in my post.  However when writing online, the width of the text box often spreads one sentence over several lines - and if it does, then one sentence does have to make a paragraph, otherwise the text becomes difficult to read. 

You do have interesting content and I'm sure many people are reading all the way to the end, but I'm also sure you're losing more casual readers too early, due to the dense appearance of your paragraphs.   There's absolutely nothing wrong with long Hubs, by the way - longer is generally better, up to about 1,500 words.

3. R.S. Hutchinson profile image70
        R.S. Hutchinsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

@ Marissa... thanks for that info. I'm a newbie too.. only have written a couple poems. Can you take a quick gander at my hub and tell me if you think my amazon and google ads are optimally located and selected? When I placed and selected them I did so more with my reader in mind than with product placement. Any other insight would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ps - I dont know why it wont post in the thread up there so this post is a little out of place.

RS, the reality is that poetry does not earn money online.

The problem is that you are reliant on Google to bring readers to you.  Google needs to be able to work out what your Hub is about.  As poems are short and abstract, chances are Google won't "see" sufficient words in your Hub to be able to do that - so it won't show up in search engines.

You can get around that somewhat by adding text around your poem, putting it in context.  And/or grouping several poems on the same topic into one Hub. 

However, you also have to ask yourself "what are people going to type into a search engine to find this poem?", and "what will they be in the mood to buy when they read it?" 

If you can't fathom how people are going to find your Hub, and you can't think of something they'll want to buy, you're not going to make money with it.

We got our wires crossed here. My poetry has nothing at all to do with HP. It's a separate endeavor that I wrote 2 yrs ago. I'm letting it age to see if I still like it enough to publish. I think I do. I have been overwhelmed not only here but my inbox is flooded at home. Thank everyone for your help, and please let's allow this to lie for a bit. I have pages of info about Keyword and SEO research now, and a much clearer understanding. I will start making changes to my work next week. Thanks again.

Hi Jean, I was actually replying to R S Hutchison's post about his poetry.  I know it's hard to follow the threads on these forums sometimes!

5. kohuether profile image64
      kohuetherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am definitely not a shining example of Hubpages earnings. My income (or lack thereof) is a very public thing as I am trying to sort this whole "make money on hubpages" thing myself.

In fact, I believe you commented on the hub in question. You'll be happy to know that i have made 29 cents so far. smile

Online Writing Experience

But Hubpages isn't my only online adventure. I've had many, including several blogs of my own and I also have a ton of experience on Squidoo. I've also been a ghost writer for years.

So I do know the topic very well of how to write online.

Sprucing Up Your Hubs

I've read many of your hubs and have enjoyed every single one. The content length is good and I wouldn't go and change it.

Create Small Paragraphs and Subheadings

I think that your problem could be solved by turning your larger paragraphs into smaller ones, and to throw in a few subheadings. I would say for hubs that are 1500 words in length, I would try to have at least four subheadings, maybe five.

Also, each paragraph should have 2-4 sentences, unless one sentence is very long. You can even set sentences apart.

I structured this post as an example by the way... This whole time you probably thought the subheadings were strange. ;-) I hope this helps!

Hi Kohuether,
        Actually that does help! My son told me to split it into smaller bits and put bigger sub titles on the stuff, he writes too. I know I'm wordy, but if you notice, two others that commented wrote a whole page telling me that. I guess it's the curse of being a writer! I am just going to finish a series I began, and perhaps take my work someplace else. It's too time consuming to not make any money. Thanks though, for objective criticism that didn't make me feel like I wanted to cry!

1. kohuether profile image64
          kohuetherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It was my pleasure!

Do you create backlinks to your hubs, too? SEO is more than just putting keywords in and structuring the writing. Backlinks are also important because it shows the search engines that people like your hubs and will give it more authority when ranking it.

I know, it is frustrating when you need to make money. Why not stay here and crack the code though? You can go somewhere else once you sort out all the details. I made a lot of mistakes when I first started out, and I actually had to pay money to make them (mainly for domain registration and web hosting).

I wish I had stayed put at one spot and sorted things out before I got impatient and moved on.

Have you heard about Bum Marketing? You can apply some of that info to hubpages, and you can also do it at the same time. Also, it might be fun to start your own blog. You can use it to point people to your hubs and get backlinks as well as share other info.

I would move on and do something else while sticking with this hubpages thing. I think you'll figure it out!

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

Jean, now you've had three people tell you that

- you're not wordy
        - your length is fine
        - your Hubs are interesting
        - you need smaller paragraphs of 2-4 sentences at most.

so I hope you'll take it to heart!

I sense you don't agree with short paragraphs, but remember we're not saying they're correct in all circumstances: just that they're essential in the online world, where people scan instead of reading.

You really don't need to do any rewriting, just some editing to split up your paragraphs and add sub-headings.  Would that really take too long?

You could consider starting a blog on each of your main topics, but then you'll still have the challenge of promoting them if you're to make any money.  The advantage of writing sites like HubPages is that they take less promotion, simply due to their size.

In your shoes, I would edit the Hubs I've got, then do some writing at other sites like Excerptz, Xobba or Infobarrel so you don't have all your eggs in one basket.

3. profile image57
        foreignpressposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I agree 100%. Another idea is to use boldface for the subheads. This helps to offset the grayness of the type which can lead to eye fatigue. Also, it might help to insert a small graphic within the text to sustain reader interest. The hub must be visually exciting as well as entertaining.

6. brimancandy profile image77
      brimancandyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Don't feel bad Jean. I have been here almost 2 years, and I have only made $5.00. Nothing on Amazon either. I think I have made around .05 cents there on ad clicks. I don't trust them either. People could be buying stuff from my ads, and I have no way of knowing it.

Brimancandy, I can remember several threads where people have offered you advice on how you can improve your Hubs and earn money from them, but you've never followed that advice, as far as I can see.   It's never too late to do something about it though!

1. brimancandy profile image77
          brimancandyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That would be nice if I could understand half of the stuff they are telling me. I appreciate the advice, but a lot of it is over my head. And, with all the stuff that is going on with my brother, and trying to keep a roof over my head, I'm really not that much into studying everything I'm told.

I know I'm retarded. Is there a book for hub pages for Dummies?

brimancandy,
            I got so much advice from this thread I began that my head has been spinning for 3 days. It comes down to the fact that writing on the internet is different than regular writing, as for a book or magazine article. I have been told that the title tuner is important, it's on your page that lists your hubs. It helps you use the best words to title your hub so it will be noticed by the search engines. Then, you have to post your URL in a site that has a "keyword" cloud. It actually shows you what Google sees when your hub comes up, it's the words you used most often. You have to pound people in the head with those 3 or 4 words or phrases, even in your Amazon Capsules. I've been told my work does not have to be rewritten, but the important words have to be put in each paragraph and Amazon, try to used them in a way that is not so obvious and doesn't change your meanings. It's hard, and since I have 72 hubs, I have a series I'm in the middle of, so I'm going to finish it, and then go back and fine tune the old hubs, but not write anymore if I don't see more traffic in a month. I think the people who run HP think many of us are more computer literate than we are.http://www.webconfs.com/keyword-density-checker.php  This is a "keyword cloud" someone gave me. Plug the title of your hub into it, and use the 3 or 4 words that come up often in your hub. Best of luck to you. I'm unsure too, and if I do all this and don't see a difference, I wrote one book I'm trying to publish, and have enough Astrology stuff on here to have about 2/3 of one to publish another. I have been told the "help" used to be more helpful! The sentences and paragraphs have to be much smaller and have bold subtitle. It appears you have to write like you are trying to get idiots to understand. I can't agree with a one sentence "papagraph" beginning, or even 2 or 3 sentence ones to follow, if you look at any one of my hubs you'll see what I mean. I have lots of content. I can't understand people that say they take 1 hr. to write a hub. It takes me at least  4 or 5 to write it on Word, put it on HP, and then find Amazon products. I don't think they credit everyone, since people have told me they ordered off my hubs, but I never got money. When I asked Amazon, they said HP takes their 40%. But since I never had a sale, it seems mean to for them to take my only sale. I gave ADsense 75 hubs to put ads on. The Amazon thing seems unfair and perhaps corrupt. Best of luck!

2. Urbane Chaos profile image91
    Urbane Chaosposted 12 years ago

Jean, I'm going to have to agree with Marisa.. I looked at your hub, "The Motherpeace Round Tarot Deck Suit of Wands" and gave up after the first few sentences.  For most people, including me, large blocks of text are hard to read.  For example, I would start a new paragraph with "Wands also represent the warmth..."  But, that's just personal opinion.

As far as readability - sentence structure and all - I think that it's very readable.  Not only that, but it's interesting content.  I'll have to come back and read more when I'm not so tired.

Now, as for the topic of your post.. It took a few months for me to start seeing decent earnings, and now with all the Panda junk, it seems everyone's having a hard time.

I've had real good success with the HP ad program so far, but my Google earnings from HP have dropped quite a bit.  With my articles, the HP ad program about equals what I was making with AdSense, so it all balances out.  It might be worth a shot to try that.

Overall, visits to my articles have gone up a lot in the last few months.  I think there are two main reasons for this:

First, I started a new Facebook account just to promote my articles.  Since my target audience is well defined, it wasn't a problem to do this.  On my analytics stats I see a lot of referrals from Facebook, so I know that's having an impact.

Second, I created a blog in order to promote HP articles.  Basically, I write an introductory paragraph - a sort of "teaser" for the HP article - and then link it to here.  The paragraph or two is really a very condensed version of the article it links to.  This serves two purposes.  It allows me to place ads on the blog and it drives traffic to the HP articles.

It's a strategy that's worked good for me, and maybe you could try something similar.  Just remember to do all the research you can on SEO and backlinking.  ...and pay special attention to keywords.  Using the right keywords in the right places sometimes makes all the difference in the world.  If your using firefox, I'd also look into downloading SEOQuake.  You'll have to play with it a bit to get it configured right, but it'll help a lot with SEO.

Forget about scores and focus on your analytics for input.

I wish ya the best.. smile

Thanks for the advice. I do get wordy. The topics I take on have lots of info, so I guess I need to present them in a bunch of shorter ones and use the group function. I don't have a Facebook page, I know that's weird, but I was already coming off a political group that was taking up too much online time when I came to HP. I do book reviews, and went on a site found on StubleUpon, and wrote 1 pagagraph reviews and referred them to HP for the rest, so that was OK. But for Astrology, there are so many blogs and really high tech sites, even if I put in the time to post and "know" enough people to get them interested in coming to HP, there's no room to communicate. They mostly are one person blogs and want to sell horoscopes. I only used Astrology to start since I know a lot, and Motherpeace tarot I will finish, but try to say less. I think I'll just finish a few "series" type things and let them age for awhile. It's too many hours of the day to make a few dollars. I like the ease of use and the people are nice. Thanks again.

1. Urbane Chaos profile image91
        Urbane Chaosposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Alright, so I went back and read some more of your stuff.. I really like what you have to say -  very interesting topics. smile

Now that I'm more awake, let me see if I can help out a little more.

First, I refused to do Facebook for a long time, but in 2010, Facebook surpassed Google as the #1 most visited site. With that, I knew I was missing out on a lot of traffic.  I'm like you, sometimes I tend to get too involved in things and they become a time-sucker - which isn't good if you're trying to make money.  I decided before I started that nobody would know I had a Facebook account.  I started it and then went into different groups related to what I write about and just started adding people.  I don't know a single person on Facebook, but they all share an interest on what I write about.  So, I post "notes" about my articles and link to them that way.  If I need a little help, I'll post a question, and occasionally I'll post something interesting about Oklahoma to let people know I'm still around.  I refuse to log on more than once a day or so.. I tend to think of it as a business account rather than something personal, which helps a lot.  I wouldn't write it off altogether, as it is a good way to draw in readers (and clickers)..

...and I don't think that your articles are wordy at all.  I just think the paragraphs would be better broken up a little more.  They read great, but online, people are more scanners than they are readers.  I used to write for magazines, but have found out that writing online is a whole different ballgame.

The blog, basically all that's there for is to generate quality backlinks.  I promoted it a little to begin with and didn't expect much out of it.  However, as time went on, it started getting more hits, so I started promoting it more.  It's helped out quite a bit. 

Now, a couple other things that may help.  You probably already know this, but I'm going to mention it anyway. wink

Keywords for the article "Poseidon Greek God of the Sea, Emotion and Instinct":

Your top 3 2-word keywords are "the sea", "god of", and "source google"
        Your top 3 3-word keywords are "source google images", "god of the" and "of the sea"

These are the keywords that will help people find your article.  "Poseidon", "Greek God", and other keywords that should be targeted aren't, which accounts for lower page visits.  (You can use any keyword checking tool to find out what your top keywords are.)  Ask yourself, what would you type into a search engine to find your article?  These are the keywords that should appear most.  Besides that, in relation to the ads that appear on your page, they are based off of your keywords.  Since "source google" is one of your top keywords, you're going to get ads that reflect that.

So how do you find good keywords?  After I write an article, I go back to the Google Adwords: Keyword tool and put in the url.  ( Adwords Keyword Tool)  That will give youu a number of keywords that you can use to increase your visits.  For example, "poseidon god" has low competition and high search rate. So does "greek gods in mythology".  You can take that information and modify things a little to achieve better search engine rankings.  For example, the title could be, "Greek Gods in Mythology: Poseidon, God of of the Sea, Emotion and Instinct".  Then, to reduce the "source google" keyword, try something like, "Greek Gods in Mythology Pictures from Google.com" 

There's a thousand little tricks that you can use to increase your visits and earnings.  Once you have a set format, it takes virtually no time to change things around a bit.  Typically, I'll write my article in Word at night, then transfer it to HP, then run SEOQuake and the Keyword Tool.  It takes maybe 10 mins to modify things for search engine results, and then I just forget about it for awhile and let it age.  In all, I may spend about an hour or two a week on an article, plus research time if I don't know that much about it.

You have a lot of great hubs, and by now you should be seeing a lot better ROI than 14 bucks.  Pre-Panda, I was reaching payout on Adsense about every other month, and a lot more often with Amazon.  My Adsense has gone down after Panda, and due to the fact that I switched to the HP ads when they first rolled out, but I'm still seeing a decent payout from HP.  My suggestion is, as you say, finish the series you have, then go back and really start to optimize older articles to improve search engine rankings. 

I think you have a lot of talent here, and you should be rewarded for that talent.  If there's anything that I can help with just say the word..

Hopefully this helps a bit. smile  You're doing great!!

Thanks. I do let my interests get too time sucking, but like your idea of the FB w/o telling everyone. I never used the Keyword tool, which seems a big error on my part. I am not against smaller paragraphs and some more subtitles. I just finished rewriting a large group of beginning  hubs last night, and split them up, made changes. I have gradually been doing that anyway. It seems many beginners start writing one giant capsule. Thanks to all who gave input, and let's lay this issue to rest now.

3. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

Yes you definitely need to write about subjects that are trending and and that include high paying ads, even then it requires a certain amount of luck plus like has already been mentioned, you need to apply a large amount of effort with SEO.
    I have been lucky to earn monthly payouts here, but most of my earnings rely on only several popular hubs.

4. melpor profile image91
    melporposted 12 years ago

Jean, just  be patient and keep on writing. I made one Adsense payout a couple months ago and about to make another payout from Hubpages Ads. Yep, things are slower since the Google change but I am still earning money but at a much slower rate than before. This is just extra money and passive income for me and I believe in time it will get better. Again just be patient.

Thanks. Patience truly is a virtue here at HP. Jean

5. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Have you tried the Hubads program?  It varies for different hubbers but I found I made more when I swapped to Hubads.

6. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years ago

When I tried to sign up for Google Ad sense I was told that I had to be a member of hubpages for 6 months before they would even consider me.

7. indigo blue ideas profile image67
    indigo blue ideasposted 12 years ago

Jean,

Besides what has been mentioned in this thread, I have found sharing your hubs to other social networking sites improves traffic, and also probably increase your google adsense earnings.
    Also put your hubpages in your profile in the forums you have joined. I have researched this in studying Search Engine Optimization. After doing the above, I saw lots of traffic in my hubs before.

Regards,
    Markel

8. profile image0
    ExoticHippieQueenposted 12 years ago

I accept that I will sound incredibly stupid, but I'm new on here, and I see all of you talking about backlinks and how good they are. But what are they?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A backlink is a link posted somewhere else that points to your hub. 

Google likes backlinks as they seem to indicate that someone has liked your hub enough to provide a link to it.  In reality most backlinks are probably created by the writer of the original hub for the sole purpose of convincing Google that the hub is worth more than it is.

9. DangerZone profile image58
    DangerZoneposted 12 years ago

Thanks alot for your help smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)