The World will be a better place if:

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (55 posts)
  1. Felixedet2000 profile image58
    Felixedet2000posted 12 years ago

Religion,politics,Sports are the three biggest causes of violence in the world:Do you think the world will become a better place for all if this three factors were to be factored out completely?

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually, I think we're doing the best we can. The problem is that our species was handed some pretty major genetic handicaps that we constantly have to overcome.

2. Heatherlavern profile image68
      Heatherlavernposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You sound like an anti-christ. If there wasn't a God this world would be hell. God is love, he brings forgiveness. He teaches us kindness and loving those who do us wrong. If God(LOVE) didn't exits hatred and un-forgiveness would reign, people would be slaughtered like goat meat for the least offences, crime would be worst than what it is now. But God Through Jesus Christ brings peace in stormy circumstances. Lets give thanks for the option of goodness. What if we get rid of all the things the christians believe in like: love, forgiveness kindness tenderness happiness, joy,Sharing and caring for people. you come up with some things that is good and take it out of your world and think what your world would be like. Bless:-)

1. pisean282311 profile image62
        pisean282311posted 12 years agoin reply to this

nope..world wont be hell or heaven in absence or presence of what is defined as god...in end that definition is product of human brain....god would die with human species and live with it only...

@ts coming to topic...religion would die down in future...but that doesnot mean human's quest ot find perfect being would die with it...god would remain alive till humans dont get answers to all questions...

2. A Troubled Man profile image58
        A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL! You are describing our past when religions ruled the world. With the advent and growth of secularism we find crime IS in fact decreasing.

Like when?

lol Notice the words, honesty, integrity and respect are not part of your list?

1. Felixedet2000 profile image58
          Felixedet2000posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Honesty, Integrity and Respect can all be found within the premise of Religion, Sport and Politics in varying degrees.So it is not as if those virtues are beyond the capabilities of men.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58

Where?

3. cobrien profile image61
      cobrienposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No. We have always had religion, politics and sports. The world would be a better place if mothers were able to stay home again and supervise, nurture and teach their children right from wrong instead of expecting a day care worker or babysitter to do it.

4. A Thousand Words profile image69
      A Thousand Wordsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think we would find other things to fight about. People want to be right, want to win, want to be in control. They'll find other avenues to address said wants. Even if the majority of the world has peace, there will always be the few who want to cause unrest. Maybe it's genetic reasons. Maybe peace cannot exist without unrest. I think that's where the idea of Yin and Yang comes in. I love Eastern thought.

5. profile image49
      paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You missed atheism

1. profile image49
        paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The atheists killed millions in Russia; their role for violence should not be forgotten on merit.

6. lalhtt profile image60
      lalhttposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No. But reason is all these adopted by different people in different form. For an example, what is religion? Any religion should teach people to be good. Good is good for me and you and for anybody else. It is a black and white factor. But the problem is in different religions they interpret this in different form. This is the main cause of the conflict. Whether it is politics, religion or sport, it should be in a common format.

7. nightwork4 profile image61
      nightwork4posted 12 years agoin reply to this

no because humans love to be cruel and we will always find something to make others miserable.

8. mischeviousme profile image60
      mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Agreed

2. calpol25 profile image59
    calpol25posted 12 years ago

No because without free will the world would be worse off and the balance between good and bad would not exist, as you cant have one with out the other.. Its a nice thought though but what strange existance if it was...smile

1. manlypoetryman profile image80
      manlypoetrymanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Extremely...Well said!

2. A Thousand Words profile image69

Yin and Yang, Cal. smile

3. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 12 years ago

Ego is the biggest cause of violence, as far as I can tell. Eliminating mankind to eliminate ego doesn't seem like a good solution to me.

1. lone77star profile image73
      lone77starposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Awesome, Daniel. Ego is exactly the cause of violence, selfishness, indifference, stupidity, ignorance,... in fact, every form of evil.

The antidote to ego is humility. The cure is love of God above all else and love of our fellow humans as ourselves.

1. A Thousand Words profile image69

Thing is, it is even ego that fuels religiosity.

The religious person:
        -I am somehow special. I must be. I can't just happen to be existing. So there must be a god or intelligent designer who created me.
        -I must save other people and teach them to believe what I do.
        -Everything that happens in my life and sometimes even the lives of people around me is either for my immediate good, or will be good for me somehow in the future, and/or is meant to teach me, personally, a lesson.
        -I will be rewarded somehow for my actions on this Earth while I'm here, and/or when I get to Heaven (an appeal to the ego).
        -I am an eternal being. There is no way that this life is all there is. (I'm too important)

etc. etc.

Ego is almost unavoidable... how it presents itself can be quite different depending on the individual or group of individuals. I.e. everyone has an ego issue. It's a part of being human. Rather, it's a part of being alive. Even a martyr or self-sacrificing(actions wise) person has an ego of some sort.

2. A Thousand Words profile image69

I think instead of eradicating ego, we must simply except that we have it, and learn balance, and use it to help each other, instead of hurting each other. At least, that's my take on it.

4. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
    schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years ago

Good values need to be taught and shown by example.

5. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

Factor them out completely and we'll invent three things to take their place. We are a very creative species. Daniel Carter said it right. Ego is what drives conflict.

Well put, Emile! big_smile

6. calpol25 profile image59
    calpol25posted 12 years ago

Its a really good idea and ego does drive conflict, but no matter how far you factor it out, there will always be some one with a big ego and someone wanting to be the leader.. Meglamania is quite common these days...

Couldn't ego be the source of all evil?... selfishness, greed, rage, even suicide? Heck, even the concept of "importance" has ego written all over it--important to "self." Ego isn't just megalomania. Ego likes to take credit for both good and bad, right and wrong, generous and selfish... all of the earthly dichotomies.

7. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

If those who were religious stopped sticking their nose into other people's business.

1. Heatherlavern profile image68

It a free forum my dear, free world. free like the bird on your profile picture..........

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What's free "my dear"?

Yes, your opinion is free and so is your ability to speak said opinion. But, if the religious folk kept their religious beliefs in their own life and out of the life of others, then the world would be a much more peaceful place to live.

you are so right,Its like the bird telling the bees to stop his honey making and the bees telling the birds to stop using his air space:-)

I'm glad we're on the same page.

i'm being sarcastic, we are not on the same page Cagsil. You see both species needs air space to fly because they both got winds. The birds soar higher with more air space but when that bird comes to eat, that bird meets the bees in the lower air space doing its thing. You have an ear so you will always hear the word of God around you, it won't go away,  just as how sin is up in our face but its there and we as human has to deal with it. No one is dragging any one to believe their faith. Just like the birds and the bees live with it  and do your thing you has to answer to your own purpose driven of this life.

I didn't think we were on the same page, but I figured I'd say it, to see what you would say. And, now you've done so.
                No such thing, unless you're using the word 'sin' as a metaphor for behavior? Which is how most religious use the word. However, it still wouldn't matter because your beliefs are for your life and they are not for someone else's life. You live how you belief you should live and leave other people alone who don't believe like you do, and you'll find the world is much more peaceful.
                It's not about dragging anyone anywhere with regards to faith. It's about minding your own damn business with regards to how other people believe their life is to be lived. It isn't your right to over step your own individual authority, and interfere into someone's life, just because you believe differently. It's actually a immoral action.

mmmmm....my damn....I'm for peace my dear. You seem very angry. Did i swear at you? I'll sign off now my dear i will keep you in my prayers. Peace and love cheers:-)

I'm not angry. I dislike how people of the religious faith insert their beliefs into other people's life and think it's their right to do so. hmm

2. lone77star profile image73

Wow, Cags, so you would impose your view of things on them?

Double standard? wink

(Oops, but your ego is showing...)

I'm not imposing my view on them or anyone. I'm demonstrating that their actions are damaging.

Double standard? Bad perception on your part.

And, no it has nothing to do with my ego, but I guess since you have the inability to see beyond yourself(ego), you wouldn't recognize your own actions.

Again, you're a walking example of what not to be.

2. calpol25 profile image59
                calpol25posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hear the word of god??? My ear usually hears misguided fools using a so called book to preach the word of god, but actually all they are doing is preaching their words because god dont exist!!!!

But am tempted to preach passages from Amy winehouses biography maybe they will think that is the word of god, as all the bible is, is a biography and a guide book. But people dont have to buy the book smile

?

2. A Troubled Man profile image58

Both birds and bees use the same airspace. For the most part all living things that fly spend most of their flight time at low altitudes and both birds and bees will fly at higher altitudes when traversing long distances. Bees have been found at altitudes where people couldn't survive because the air was too thin.

http://www.stanford.edu/group/stanfordb … _Fast.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien … 37834.html

I know that Mr  troubled man. I was making a point. What is your point????

2. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

He was imaging what if. Not what is. smile

He is imaging the what if but he is still concerned about the what is. Did you read his last comment?

2. lone77star profile image73

Hey, Cags. Sticking a nose is something you're good at. lol

Hey LoneStar,

I'm not sticking my nose in anywhere. I'm increasing awareness of those whose actions are immoral. Too bad you cannot see past yourself(ego) long enough to realize it.

What a shame. You're a walking example of what I purposely live to prevent.

8. whoisbid profile image60
    whoisbidposted 12 years ago

Everyone listened to John Lennon's song "Imagine" and believed he had a good idea

For a mortal who doesn't think he has a soul. Yeah, maybe.

But could there be far more at stake?

2. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I didn't! I've always disliked that song.

If you "imagine no possessions", you have to imagine a world where the people who want to keep their possessions have them taken away by force.

Getting back to the OP, I've been thinking about this question and I've come to the conclusion that most of the bad stuff in the world happens because of a sense of entitlement and a belief that the end justifies the means, rather than a conscious wish to do evil.

9. profile image61
    logic,commonsenseposted 12 years ago

.....people quit harming one another in the name of religion.  Keep your religion to yourself.  Let others decide how or if they want to worship.

felixedet2000 Raised a question. Do you think the world would be a better place if politics sports and religion is to be factored out completely? I'm commenting on this question base on my belief and faith.
      Why do i feel i being bullied on this forum or is it that people are loosing intelligence. I don't think i'm making decision for any one on how to worship. what is this???????????come on people, what do you think about his question? That is what you need to answer. you can comment on politics or sport i chose to comment on religion.

10. lone77star profile image73
    lone77starposted 12 years ago

You can't legislate good manners. Alas!

@Daniel Carter got it right, in my book. Ego is the source of all evil. Not religion, sports and politics. There are some good to each of these, but ego perverts them. Just as a hammer has a good purpose, someone bent on selfishness and evil could use it to take out the competition.

And the true purpose of religion is one of getting rid of ego. Not an easy task.

And @calpol25, ego isn't just megalomania. Ego is the quiet, little old lady who wouldn't be caught dead with a street bum, even when they desperately need something to eat. Ego is someone on hub pages judging others for believing in something they don't happen to feel is true. Ego is that sense of entitlement to be right and to let others know that they are wrong.

Looks like we all have some ego, here.

How do we get rid of it? That's the big question.

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Huh, I did it again. Failed to read a thread right the way through before posting.

You can't, because in doing so you make yourself guilty of the very thing you're trying to eradicate.

11. GoldenBird profile image57
    GoldenBirdposted 12 years ago

We can make a world free of Religion and Politics. But what's wrong with Sports?

And even with religion and politics: I believe it will take many many geniuses to work for years to come out with a solution to make such a 'clean' world, free of religion and politics. And when it is clean, someone will corrupt it again. And then, we will need religion and politics to counter the problem. And then the geniuses will again make a 'clean' world.

I guess it's a cycle. smile

12. MickeySr profile image77
    MickeySrposted 12 years ago

The fact that there are some who practice religion to the end that they strive to serve others, practice politics to the end that they seek solutions to injustice, and practice sports to the end that they have a good time, etc, evidences that it's not religion, politics, and sports that are the culprits here. And the fact that many engage in all manner of violence apart from participation in religion, politics, or sports further demonstrates that religion, politics, and sports are not the problem we face. And, the fact that the tiniest children, not yet even owning any capacity to practice any sort of religion, politics, or sports do practice the most unrestrained and intense violence against others seems to me to just about prove that our inclination toward violence does not come from our participation in religion, politics, and sports - it comes from us, ourselves.

The reason religion, politics, and sports seem to produce violence is because we're the ones practicing religion, politics, and sports. The problem here is that man is not basically good but 'caught up' to do evil by external prompting like participating in religion, politics, and sports - the problem is that man is essentially wicked and is internally inclined to do evil no matter what he's participating in. We don't need to fix society, we are what needs fixing . . . and observing your own children or considering the great historic record of mankind scream this truth to those willing to hear.

13. Felixedet2000 profile image58
    Felixedet2000posted 12 years ago

We all can offer tips and advice on the way forward, thanks

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)