Getting more views and comments

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (43 posts)
  1. melzetterberg profile image64
    melzetterbergposted 11 years ago

I have written 3 hubs. I've had 9 views in 7 days and no comments. I am really new to this and can't seem to get my stuff out there. My hubber score is 77. I am feeling discouraged. Please give tips. I have used stumbleupon and redgage, I have it linked to my facebook page. I'm out of ideas to bring traffic.

1. profile image0
      Casimiroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If it were that easy, we'd all be sitting back on our own private island by now. smile Seriously, you're just starting out. Think months, even years, to start getting some stellar results. Study SEO, write about what people are searching for, not necessarily what is most interesting to you. Continue finding more social sites with which to interact. Most of all, persistence is the name of the game.

melzetterbergposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.  I will study SEO.  Any way to tell what people are searching for?

1. cprice75 profile image84
          cprice75posted 11 years agoin reply to this

The Google Keyword Tool can show how many visitors worldwide and domestically are searching for a particular term and terms that are related. It also shows how severe the competition is for the search term. It is best to write about things that people are searching for and that have few articles written about them.

Good information.  Thanks so much for sharing.  I am open to any and all tips.  I will check that out!

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

It takes time to build momentum for your work, and there is much to learn about online writing.  Even after a year, I still learn something new every day here.  I suggest you take the time to read in The Learning Center and also spend some time reading the hubs of others.  The world is a big place and you need to remember that millions of other people may be writing on the same topics as you.  Don't be depressed...be competitive!  Good luck.

Thanks I will.

2. writinglover profile image75
    writingloverposted 11 years ago

Give it time. As you write more hubs, you'll garner more views. When I first started, I wasn't really expecting any comments considering that I was (still am--I'm three months into this thing) a newbie. If you really want some more traffic/comments, there is a forum that will help you get started. This is where one hubber recommends another hubber's hub. Here's the link! http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/24079 In this forum, you recommend a hub from the hubber that last posted. For example, lets say I posted, so you would recommend a hub that I've written. Hopefully that will help you get started! See ya around! smile

Thanks, I will definitely check that out.

3. ChrisMcDade8 profile image84
    ChrisMcDade8posted 11 years ago

Patience will be your best friend.  I remember feeling the same way when I first started.  After some time has passed and you get more exposure from writing, you will get more feedback about your hubs.  Good luck!

Patience has never been my strong suit.  It will be a challenge I am afraid, but well worth it in the end.  Thanks so much for the feedback.  I could use all the tips I can get.

4. profile image0
    Anonymous00posted 11 years ago

You've been on for a little over a month with only a few hubs. Go easy on yourself - comments don't come easy. It takes time. Whether you get comments or not doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong. Just keep writing and keep promoting and the rest will take care of itself in due time.

Thanks for the encouragement.  I love putting together the hubs.

5. expertscolumn profile image64
    expertscolumnposted 11 years ago

Be sure to enable the comments capsule, i noticed one of your hubs did not have the comments capsule so I wasn't able to comment (the one about pell grants)

The comments capsule has been enabled now.  Thanks for catching that!

6. Quilligrapher profile image74
    Quilligrapherposted 11 years ago

Three hubs in 7 days are a darn good start but hardly enough. Do not stop now! Focus on writing topics about which the world wants to learn. Your success will depend on how long and how hard you are willing to work. Build a sound and well-written portfolio and the readers will come.
    http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg

Thanks for the advice.  I am willing to put in the work to get the results I need.  Thanks Quilligrapher!

7. simondixie profile image71
    simondixieposted 11 years ago

you have some great topics---am looking forward to reading them! And encouraging words for others, too....nancy

Thanks so much!

8. ritsukakunx profile image62
    ritsukakunxposted 11 years ago

https://adwords.google.com/o/Targeting/ … WORD_IDEAS

Use that website to search for keywords. Type something of interest... randomly, you can type "The Biggest Loser" (Its on tv right now, lol) and find search strings people are looking for.

I will give that a try.  Thanks  for sharing.  If you think of any other tips, be sure to share.  Thanks so much!

9. Stachart profile image60
    Stachartposted 11 years ago

Search engine will be your best friend. I did create my first hub and then promote it on social networks, i earned $0.04 for the first week, i submitted another one and the earning did not grow at all! So, i gave up. But searches engine did not, with search result and related hubs (my hubs was featured as related on others hubbers hub) i started to earn some bucks and i am coming back to be active!

It is patience and work well done. The freedom of writing earning is that it is passive earning! Write once, earn every day after! Keep doing good work and know that people leave comment only when they find an answer to their question in your hub!
    Good luck!

Thanks for the tips.  I will definitely be using them.  Promoting through the search engines makes sense.  Thanks again.

10. SmartAndFun profile image92
    SmartAndFunposted 11 years ago

When using the Google Keyword tool, note that in the "competition" column, "high" or "low" refers to advertisers. If there is high competition for a keyword, that means advertisers are competing for their ads to be displayed on pages with that keyword. Many people think it means there is high competition among writers to get page views with that keyword, so they go for low competition words. High competition keywords can mean higher ad revenue. A high number of searches is good, but it is a delicate balance finding keywords that get many searches but are not already completely oversaturated on the web.

As far as comments go, if you want comments, one easy way to get them is to write about controversial topics that bring out the polarized opinions. Articles on religion, politics and women's reproductive issues often garner lots of comments -- but be careful for what you wish for.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind.  My articles have been very streamlines.  No controversy there.  I will work to expand that.  Thanks for the advice.

2. profile image0
      Casimiroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

SmartandFun, great advice. I guess I hadn't grokked the meaning of high/low competition myself.

I don't see in AdWords how you can find out if a topic is saturated, so I usually just put the keywords into Google and note the number of hits. I think, and please correct me if I'm off base, that targeting keywords for which there are over 2 million hits is a bit futile, unless you're really bringing something unique to that topic.

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

With both the "exact" and "broad" buttons checked, HP recommends searches in the range from 500/month to 40,000. 

Keywords getting 2 million searches per month are going to have 20 million articles written on it already; you are highly unlikely to rank on first page, unique or not.

1. SmartAndFun profile image92
          SmartAndFunposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, this.

11. Page1 SEO tactics profile image53
    Page1 SEO tacticsposted 11 years ago

Hi melzetterberg, it's great that you are taking Casimiro's advice on studying SEO my niche picking article can tell you a few places that will give you insight into what people are searching for.  You may want to check out my other articles to help you learn more about SEO. 
    You are off to a great start, don't get discouraged as there is much work to do.  Keep writing as once you get 10 articles published HubPages will give you a sitemap which is beneficial your page rank in the search engines.  Although in the meantime you should submit your rss feed to google's webmaster tools to at least boost your rank in google. Your rss feed is http://YourUserName.hubpages.com/hubs/latest?rss (of course replace YourUserName with your real username.)

Thanks, will do and I will definitely check out your hubs on SEO.

12. rumanasaiyed profile image75
    rumanasaiyedposted 11 years ago

As per my experience,  you should spend more time on reading and commenting forums. Try to give your best on commenting others hub or forum. This will surely increase traffic and your fan followers.

Even I had the same problem before, but now I am getting good traffic to my hubs.

Hope this will help smile

Thanks, I definitely will.

13. HoneyBB profile image91
    HoneyBBposted 11 years ago

For some reason when I tried to leave this comment it wouldn't take. This has happened to me before so it may be something wrong with my connection. Anyhow, this is a comment I wrote for your book review.  You are a very talented writer and I can see this story becoming a screenplay one day. It has suspense, mystery, drama, romance, and so much more. Intriguing!

In addition, having a score of 77 so soon is a great start. I started with HubPages 3 months ago and by the end of each month my page views grow a lot but the first month to month and a half seemed slow. I am now getting close to having 5000 pageviews. It will happen for you too as long as you keep writing quality hubs. Good Luck.

Thanks so much.  I am excited about writing with hub pages.  Thanks for the wonderful comments on my book.  I've had a couple more books taking shape in my head as well.  Your encouraging words really help me keep moving ahead.3 months and 5000 views.  I can't wait until I get that kind of following.  Best of luck.

14. freecampingaussie profile image61
    freecampingaussieposted 11 years ago

I leave comments and vote up subjects that interest me . I went & had a look at your hubs to leave a comment but they are not ones I would read myself  so you need to find people that enjoy that kind of thing on Facebook groups etc or on here .

Ok, well thanks for looking.

1. freecampingaussie profile image61
        freecampingaussieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have actually commented on your hub about your pet + voted it up . I don't have tons of time to read on here so mainly read travel hubs that relate to plans we are making for overseas . I am sure there will be people who enjoy your subjects . Join in with us on the forum " Reccommend another hubbers hub " as well as ping your blogs .

Thanks, I will do that!

15. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 11 years ago

Google plus it.

16. Knightmare Golem profile image86
    Knightmare Golemposted 11 years ago

I can't help but notice that your actually posting a book preview and not a review.  Since its not out yet, no one would be searching for it, and Google will send little traffic your way.  Maybe write a few reviews on other books that you like and would be similar to the preview, and if you group them together its much more likely you'll get side traffic from it.  Maybe even put a capsule in the review that tells them if they like that kind of book to read your other hub.

I will do.  The book is actually out.  It is on amazon.com and there is a link that viewers can click to get the book from amazon.  I will do other book reviews though.  Good idea.  Keep them coming.

17. Astra Nomik profile image62
    Astra Nomikposted 11 years ago

I engage in the community here and respond to other hubs now and then when I can. I have an active twitter account and have over 730 followers. Which is weird as I have only  480 here on Hub Pages. I also engage on Pinterest and somehow notched over 120 followers there.

I try to stay active in the writers community and stay up with what is going on. And I try to follow other hubbers on Facebook and so far so good. Although I have over 400 followers there,, it is not really about the numbers. It's the taking part and the writing that I enjoy.

I recently created my second poetry blog about writing, and so perhaps that's why my score tends to remain in the 90's. I only discovered over Christmas that the user name Astra Nomik ranks first in the Google search engine. Happy accident perhaps. I didn't plan that.

If my score was in the bin, i would still be writing romantic poetry and my other hubs. I honestly don't give much regard for keywords and now I can't add them any more.

One interesting thing is that I do rank well for poetry for some reason. I don't know much about SEO, but i love social media like Twitter and Facebook, Pinterest and Linked In.

Oh - there are thousands of professional writers, most already published - with accounts on LinkedIn. So I joined that too.

Thanks, I will check those out and try to get myself more out there.  Thanks for the tips.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)