What has happened to the share buttons?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (35 posts)
  1. L.M. Hosler profile image91
    L.M. Hoslerposted 8 years ago

The share buttons seem to be missing from hubs. Anyone else having this problem?

1. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 8 years agoin reply to this

They are playing hide-and-seek.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image91
      Christy Kirwanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi L.M.,

Marina has addressed this in her previous post. There are a small percentage of monitor dimensions that are no longer widely supported that which will be too narrow to see the share buttons without zooming out. But the vast majority of your readers will still see them as usual.

So, HP doesn't care if the share buttons and some of the ads cannot be viewed on laptops, Tablets, 17" and 22" monitors?  The old design didn't ignore those monitors:

http://blog.hubpages.com/2014/06/12/the … s-are-live

2. L.M. Hosler profile image91
        L.M. Hoslerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like you are fixing something that wasn't broken and now doesn't work. Please consider changing back.  How many readers what to spend time looking for a share button so simply won't share an article, which means less traffic for HubPages & writers.

3. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

We added an FAQ entry related to the social media buttons.
      It can be found here.
      http://hubpages.com/faq/#social-sharing-buttons

4. breakfastpop profile image65
      breakfastpopposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Is it asking too much to put the share buttons back so that all computers show them? I can't run out and replace my computers as HP suggests.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image92
        Jayne Lancerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

We apparently don't need the shares of the 5.9% of visitors who have a screen resolution of less than 1100 pixels wide. Nor those who have a larger screen resolution but zoom in because of less than good eyesight.

2. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 8 years ago

Christy, it appears that what you are saying is incorrect. And I quote you:

"There are a small percentage of monitor dimensions that are no longer widely supported which will be too narrow to see the share buttons without zooming out."

From the posts here and on all other related forum threads, the vast majority of currently used monitors and devices do NOT support the new layout for the share buttons. Why change something that worked well and make it not work anymore? Are you guys crazy or what?

1. Christy Kirwan profile image91
      Christy Kirwanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Sue, only 5% of all readers have monitor dimensions that will prevent them from seeing the social sharing buttons, and those resolutions are no longer sold, so that number will only decrease over time.

According to these reports and many, many others, sales of laptops and Tablets are on the increase and that is expected to continue at least until 2019:

http://www.pcr-online.biz/news/read/lap … row/035598

http://www.forbes.com/sites/louiscolumb … martphones

http://www.statista.com/statistics/2725 … esktop-pcs

2. janderson99 profile image52
        janderson99posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Why not simply put the sharing buttons to the right of
        "Updated on April 8, 2015" for BOTH PC and Mobile. Sharing is REALLY important for HP. Surely there is a simple solution to loading issues [Maybe the pain is worth it] - the baby is being dumped with the bathwater. Please put the share buttons back up front and obvious! Most of HP competitors have share buttons upfront - Ehow, Howstuffworks, etc.

See how well they fit!

http://www.wotisnew.com/heading.jpg

1. janderson99 profile image52

If loading time for the buttons is an issue, then why not make it a 2-stage process. Display an image button that opens a pop-up or creates a dynamic insertion, containing the active buttons for Facebook, Twitter etc. There is a button on the mobile version "\/" that already does this for "More hubs by this author", so overheads must be OK.

http://www.wotisnew.com/heading2.jpg

3. Sue Adams profile image95
        Sue Adamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I do not know where you get your figures from. Listen to us. the majority of our replies to the disappearance of the share buttons indicate that we cannot find the share buttons on our equipment. I bought my new laptop 3 months ago and my android tablet 6 months ago. How often is the public expected to throw away equipment that works perfectly well to comply with new, "predicted" industry standards?

And more importantly, why do you want to lose all those potential shares while waiting for the world to throw away their equipment and buy more new gadgets? I don't understand. Why can't you make it work for all devices like Janderson suggests. That way our readers who don't have brand new equipment can keep sharing our hubs. If you persist on this course, HP is going to lose a hell of a lot of social media traffic. Is that really what you guys want?

1. Marina Lazarevic profile image77
          Marina Lazarevicposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Please see: http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

Our buttons are visible on all desktop screen resolutions listed there except for one, 1024x768, which represents 5.9% of page views. If you go back a few months, you'll see that the market share for the 1024x768 px screen has been declining and countless other studies support this. Moreover, the stats Christy and I have been referencing come from Google Analytics, the most reliable data source to use when designing for the HubPages audience.

4. L.M. Hosler profile image91
        L.M. Hoslerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I found the share buttons when I zoomed out. My problem and maybe some other people's problem is that I keep my settings zoomed higher due to poor eyesight so that is why I had trouble finding the buttons.

5. janderson99 profile image52

@Christy, it is more like 55-65% because there are NO share buttons AT ALL on mobile devices which account for more than half of HP's traffic.

This isn't accurate. There are built-in social sharing buttons on mobile  browsers. In fact, much of the social traffic we get now is via mobile devices, indicating that those buttons are being used. Whether social sharing could be made better on mobile by placing buttons on the site itself is a different question.

1. janderson99 profile image52

I disagree, the so-called buttons are hidden away and can only be accessed a menu ("3 dots") etc. There are NO social media buttons directly in your face on the mobile HP version. I have a modern smartphone that has NO buttons and NO 3 dots => no sharing possible. Why not allow everyone to share the wonderful HP content easily and simply? Image how much extra sharing would occur, to boost the numbers you state, if everyone could share easily (up 300% WOW). Surely this is an obvious need and doable.

Yes, I agree that the buttons are not in your face on mobile. You initially said they don't exist at all. Sorry, I used to be on the debate team. big_smile

I understand that there are benefits to having the buttons on the mobile site itself, which is why I said we would consider it.

1. Colin Quartermain profile image91
                Colin Quartermainposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If you add up the % on the w3counter for those above 1100 pixels it comes to 46.65%

I checked my 2 home PCs and a couple at work, with all being 1024 or below, and I know its a really small sample size, but I wouldn't say the lack of social buttons is going to be a problem for a small minority

(Of course at the same time, historically relatively few articles I have written here and elsewhere are shared socially anyway)

2. stricktlydating profile image84
                stricktlydatingposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't see any share buttons on my Windows phone using desktop mode after the latest page change, there was no longer a way I could share my Hubs with my Hubpages followers, so I upgraded to an Iphone 6. No change, I can share by copy/paste long URL link on Twitter (Which I don't like to do, I preferred the shorter URL's) and it is tedious. I don't see the 3 dots on the page to share in desktop or mobile mode and now I also cannot edit text capsules on my iPhone. The share buttons also no longer work on my android tablet. I have no problem viewing share buttons and sharing articles from other sites, just here sad  Because I create articles I want others to share this is so disappointing. My stats have been affected almost by half since this change and I find myself checking out these forums daily hoping one day our share buttons will have been restored so that they can be viewed on tablets and mobile phones (Where over 75% of my page views come from).  I'm glad other Hubbers are also sharing their hopes of these buttons being put back on the page for all readers to use.

2. breakfastpop profile image65

Are you saying I and others have to buy new computers in order to share our hubs! This is outrageous.

3. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Sue,
      I have a desktop and I checked when I read this question but I had no prblem seeing the share button. Perhaps it is the mobile computers which have the problem.

4. breakfastpop profile image65

I have a Mac desktop and I can't see the share buttons except for Twitter. Surely, this can be fixed.

3. paradigm search profile image53
    paradigm searchposted 8 years ago

Christy,

CNN has just reported pitchfork sales have suddenly started increasing worldwide. Keep the new left side buttons, just add the old right side buttons back as a second set.

edit: Or do janderson99's idea as the second set, probably even better.

4. lovebuglena profile image84
    lovebuglenaposted 8 years ago

sometimes it seems it takes a bit for them to load.

5. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 8 years ago

When I click on hubs, I see share buttons on left side of hubs. Load time is good.  I am using Chrome on Toshiba laptop. Satellite S855

1. janshares profile image94
      jansharesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

+1

6. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 8 years ago

Someone probably offered this already to HP staff but I wanted to reiterate that one of the sites I subscribe to (counseling related) has the share buttons on the side and at the bottom of the article. Is this too costly for HP? It would certainly solve problems with mobile. It's the fashion-forward thing to do if you can click on the colorful buttons rather than use to built-in share on your device. Just sayin'

7. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 8 years ago

I think I'll stop "sharing" since more hubs are being shared by thieves. I found another copied today on a foreign site. I am not hopeful that it will be taken down...sigh.

8. Supuni Fernando profile image68
    Supuni Fernandoposted 8 years ago

I thought they were on the left instead of right.

9. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image94
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 8 years ago

I guess this is old news but I'm really missing the share button my mobile device sad

10. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 8 years ago

Well, Marina,
    The missing share buttons saga has been going on for over two weeks now. HP has lost many potential readers' shares because of it.

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12443604.jpg

Why not kill 2 birds with one stone:
    Replace the first ad in the sidebar, which sells the same product as the top ad, with horizontal share buttons?

11. Glorymiller profile image96
    Glorymillerposted 8 years ago

I agree that duplicate ads serve no real purpose other than to waste space and make a page look spammy.  I'm not real happy with all the extra stuff that is being piled on at the bottom of my pages, too, how my guest book is separated from the rest of my page by ads, by a "see also" section that has nothing to do with my page, a recommended hubs section, ( I thought the "related hubs" on the side bar served that purpose) usually some video ad that likes to auto play (but that is probably a setting on my browser that needs tweaked, but still it's irritating).   I would love to see all that clutter at the bottom moved to the side bar, or at least moved down below my guest book.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)