Is society in general getting ruder?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (52 posts)
  1. JulietduPreez profile image70
    JulietduPreezposted 14 years ago

What do you think?

I tend towards agreement. Or perhaps the "rules" are changing...

What in the past was considered necessary in order to be polite may have lost its importance.

1. profile image0
      mtsi1098posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think society has lost patience making a ruder civilization...No so in the forums though smile

2. Kent Merritt profile image67
      Kent Merrittposted 14 years agoin reply to this

...Real sorry to interrupt your message, Juliet, but I just wanted to say that Beyonce had one of the best videos of ALL TIME!!!

I like to think that to interrupt is not rude as long as it's for something real important. Carry on.

1. thranax profile image73
        thranaxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

DUDE! I just used that joke in the how wonderful or w\e forum it is 10 mins ago.

UGH.

~thranax~

2. profile image0
        Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Was listening to a pretty fine country station on the radio here in Arizona this afternoon--won't say the call letters to protect the idiot "talking head" who spoke at length about the rude comment by "KANE West".  He even got all folksy toward the end, urging KANE to just up and apologize more quickly the next time....lol

No, really, it's a true story!  You couldn't make this stuff up!

3. profile image0
        cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

best response ever. smile
        (well, this week, anyway)

very clerver.

to answer the question yes i think society in general is getting ruder, but then again people are getting friendlier in urban settings anyway and more easily approachable. so maybe ruder is not the word maybe more brash?

3. profile image60
      logic,commonsenseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If society is getting ruder, it is because we are letting it become that way.  Do not let the herd mentality rule how you conduct yourself and that will be one more roadblock to worldwide rudeness.
      Ciao!

4. TamCor profile image79
      TamCorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Honestly, I hadn't noticed a huge change, until I started posting on forums--the rudeness, arrogance, and cruelness that some posters exhibit just sadden me to no end...sad  I just wish people would try to be a little nicer sometimes...

Of course--it could be like that out in the "real" world, also, but my husband and I tend to be hermits, and don't interact with too many folks out "there", lol...smile

But there are so many super nice posters, too--don't want to ignore them...some go out of their way to keep their cool no matter what, and I really love to see that. smile

5. Vladimir Uhri profile image61
      Vladimir Uhriposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This country was definitely different let say 20-30 years ago. People were polite and helpful. It was great. Now we are slaves of hate.

6. ScarletRyan1970 profile image59
      ScarletRyan1970posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi, No i do not think society is getting ruder. Society is
          getting angry, tired, fed up.
          A good tip i find to keep rudness away from me is to either
          ignore,smile or just simply reply.

'EVEN PIGS GRUNT'

Have a great day

ScarletRyan1970

7. profile image0
      philip carey 61posted 14 years agoin reply to this

"Of course it's getting ruder. Any idiot can see that!" *satire*

8. Drew Breezzy profile image61
      Drew Breezzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

poor home raising

MTV haha

1. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What does tearing down houses have to do with it? Shut-up Fool!

9. Sally's Trove profile image78
      Sally's Troveposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We have become like jackals on the sparse plains, alligators in the shrinking Everglades; resources are diminished by our increasing numbers.  It's survival of the fittest, and politeness plays no part unless it is manipulated to our own advantage.

There are some of us out here who do not fall prey to this, but our commitment to the compassionate, the moral, and the ethical is compromised.  It's hard to teach our children these values of common human courtesy which respects, when the rule out there is, "Eat or be eaten."

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like your words, nice. and you're right about teaching the children, it becomes more challenging, but so necessary. you can see that in evidence right here in the forums. I recently wrote a hub about teaching kids values and respect if you want to read it~~ smile

1. Sally's Trove profile image78

Rebekah, I did just read your Hub and left you a comment.  Your words are right on.  My wish is that all parents read your words and take them to heart.

2. profile image0

Look, you get a big stick thats how you teach those bratty little beggars how to behave!

2. ledefensetech profile image68
        ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Except that you ignore the fact that civility and politeness can be survival traits too.  It's only civility which keeps the streets free of violence and bloodshed.  Look at South Central during the 1980's.  No civility and the streets ran with blood.  It wasn't just the gangs, gangs were a part of the neighborhoods in the 1950's in South Central but you didn't have the mass bloodshed.  I heard it put one time as "You made an appointment to get your a$$ whuppin'". 

It's not hard to teach kids to be civil.  You just have to get them to understand why you need to be civil and instill the fear of not being civil to them.  You do the first through the example of your own behavior and the second by tanning their hides when they act in without common courtesy.

1. Sally's Trove profile image78

I do not ignore that civility and politeness can be survival traits.  That they can be has nothing to do with the point of my post.

But since you brought it up, how does "tanning their hides" teach anything about civility and politeness?  "Tanning their hides" is a manifestation of authoritarian control and the resulting submission, while politeness and civility are manifestations of empathy and understanding.  If one teaches authoritarian control, then one will be hard pressed to teach empathy and understanding.

Food for thought.

1. Misha profile image63
            Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, Sally, I'm with you on this. smile

If it is build on fear, it goes away the moment they think they can get away with this...

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
              rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

agree also~~ authoritarian anything results in rebellion from children to civilizations being ruined. hmm

1. profile image0

No,No,No! You get a bigger stick and get a running start!

2. ledefensetech profile image68

It teaches kids that while you can make decisions for yourself, you cannot always choose the consequences and sometimes those consequences aren't what most people would consider "fair".  It makes them cautious and think before they act and isn't that, after all, the basis for civilized behavior?  Besides, we've restricted a parent's ability to spank their kids for decades now and it hasn't produced well-mannered children by any stretch of the imagination. 

I worked with kids who didn't get their hides tanned, ever, as well as those who had their hides tanned for every little infraction or just because the parent was an authoritarian dick. There is a fine medium, but few people can seem to find it.  The fact is that kids need boundaries and will push and push until they find one.  A good parent doesn't sweat the small stuff, but when it's important, they need to be able to mark those boundaries with a firm line.  Yes, that includes spanking. 

I can assure you I judged each caper I was involved in when I was a kid by the reception I would get at home if it were found out.  It didn't keep me from getting in trouble, no, but it did keep the amount of nonsense I was involved in to a minimum.

10. Margie01 profile image59
      Margie01posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think it is really sad that we as a society don't have enough respect for ourselves or others to be considerate, respectful.

The rules haven't changed just our expectations of what are acceptable.  How pathetic that people walk around trying to cause problems, they dress with no respect, speak with no respect and have alot of hatred but all without cause.

2. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

The forums are just one , big, oasis, of politeness in an otherwise rude world (especially the religion and politics forums).   lol   lol   lol

1. anjalichugh profile image68
      anjalichughposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well said! I read about 6 hubs on the same issue (forum issues).

2. Vladimir Uhri profile image61

The interesting comment. Two evils, ha?
      Religion is evil, since it is not God's idea. Vladimir

3. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

Ruder, maybe not.  However attitude towards each other has changed and how the attitude is executed is different than before (but before when??). I find both -- better behavior and worse behavior.  It really depends on what you are looking for that day.

1. Vladimir Uhri profile image61

We should call it real name "rudeness". We do not have to change definitions.

1. profile image0

Nobodies rude! Shut-up Fool!

1. tantrum profile image59
          tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol hi sneak ! I'm back !

2. archdaw profile image60
      archdawposted 14 years agoin reply to this

GUNS

4. Lady_E profile image62
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

People are getting a bit agressive with each other.

5. jiberish profile image79
    jiberishposted 14 years ago

Not ruder, just fed up.

6. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

IDK, I see it going in both directions. People I directly communicate too seem to become nicer and nicer every year. Yet I see more and more whining that people are getting ruder and ruder... Can't really figure out why such a dramatic difference?... smile

1. Jaspal profile image73
      Jaspalposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I tend to agree with Misha ... my old and even newer friends seem to keep getting nicer and more considerate than ever.

But the people who one doesn't know, who one crosses on the street, fellow drivers on the roads, fellow shoppers in the market or store, they all seem to be getting ruder, they couldn't care less about being considerate. I guess everyone has his problems gnawing at his insides and no one has the patience to be nice to strangers.

To our friends we tend to be nice because we get more of the same back in response ...

1. profile image0
        cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i notice rude behavior in traffic mostly. in stores or business offices, people are courteous and polite, even smiling many times. there are two cases in the news lately about people slapping other people's children...it does seem that lately some people feel like they can do stuff like that and get away with it.

i have also noticed a trend in advertising where people are really mean to each other, or even putting them in precarious or dangerous situations. hmm maybe i will write a hub about that.

7. mthierry profile image60
    mthierryposted 14 years ago

I think people are leaving off the polite terms and allowing tone and facial expression to tell you their intentions.  Then, in situations where contact is not face to face, ie telephone, forums,etc, then people are feeling free to be as rude as they want because they think there can be no possible repercussions.

8. Joelle Burnette profile image71
    Joelle Burnetteposted 14 years ago

My parents traveled in South America last year on a journey to Antarctica and they said the people they met along the way were helpful, polite, kind. They added, it wasn't until they returned to the U.S. that they experienced the most impolite people.
    Abroad, people were always offering to help my dad along (he walks with a cane or walker): help him across the street, up stairs, etc. Back home in America, people practically knock him down to get past.
    I'm not saying Americans are rude in general, but there are times when it appears our manners have degraded.

9. ledefensetech profile image68
    ledefensetechposted 14 years ago

This is a two part answer I think.  Part one concerns online interaction.  Part of it may be the "newness" of this type of communication.  We're still figuring out the "rules" of conduct.  A mentor of mine keeps on about how in the age of email, you have to be very careful in how you respond to something.  It's far to easy to dash something spiteful off and get it sent before you've completely thought of all of the ramifications.  In addition, we don't generally "know" people online like we do in our private lives.  Also with the anonymity of the Internet, we can act in ways that we would never dare to in our private lives with people we come into physical contact with.

Part two concerns society.  Yes, we are getting much more rude and pushy in society.  Most of it has to do with moral relativity and letting people "do their own thing".  Not that doing your own thing is...bad, but doing your own thing increases the chance you'll do something selfish and without regard to how your actions may impact others.

1. jiberish profile image79
      jiberishposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You have not seen rude until you visit a political chat room where anything goes. It is war.

1. ledefensetech profile image68

Politics, religion any other topic where, in polite conversation, we agree not to bring it up just for the very reason that it degenerates into total war.

10. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I think a lot depends on how one views the world~~ if you see it as bad, you will notice the bad, and vice versa~~  there's a lot of good in the world.

certainly there are many rude people, but I think rudeness is just a sign of something more internal. people who are rude all the time are miserable in their own skin~~ hmm

11. Paradise7 profile image70
    Paradise7posted 14 years ago

I feel that way sometimes, that the world, or at least around my little piece of it, is getting more and more impolite, impatient and rude.  I think it's the language people use. 

WTF?

hmm

12. ixwa profile image78
    ixwaposted 14 years ago

I think with the economy not good, jobs gone and houses lost, many people do not have  much to be happy about. I would like to think if the economy gets better, jobs come back and people are affording their houses, things will look totally different. Stress, Depression and recession makes people vent. A vibrant economy and lifestyle makes people more speculative, patient and very nice.

13. Research Analyst profile image72
    Research Analystposted 14 years ago

I agree with Joelle Burnette's comment about how the rudeness we experience has more to do with 'lack of manners'. Or it could be just that most people were not brought up with the proper training as to "how to be courteous, helpful and polite to others"

This would make a good instructional guide. LOL

14. Sally's Trove profile image78
    Sally's Troveposted 14 years ago

Now it's Angel Misha.  Your changing avatars are so delightful!  What angel could ever tan a kid's hide?

Yes, a kid learns from tanning to go ahead and do whatever he did to get the tanning, only behind the tanner's back, thereby transcending the fear.  The added damage to society is that the kid learns this pattern all too well, and visits it on his own kid in the future.

15. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

in general people are becoming less polite, and impatient .... but hubpage forums do not reflect that most of the time

16. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

We probably more on the same page than it looks, cause i am definitely not against spanking or other physical punishment when it is called for. I am not sure about Sally.

Yet you sounded (at least to me) as you considered this to be a major educational tool in relation to rudeness and such, and this I definitely disagree to smile

It depends.  Personally, my limit is when it gets to the point of physical aggression or property destruction.  Safety issues, in other words.  Those are automatic spankings, in my opinion.  I'm also not averse to slapping a mouth when it comes to cursing, disrespect or talking back. 

Like I said, you don't physically punish for minor infractions, but as kids up the ante, so do you.  When they understand how far they can push things, they'll not approach those boundaries again.  It really is a skill.  I'd advise all people wishing to become parents to work at a facility similar to the one I worked at.  It gives you a whole new appreciation for parenting and you also realize how easy most parents have it.

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not ready to argue this, but I definitely pro much more lenient approach. And no, I did not work with others' kids, but one of my own ones is quite a difficult kid. smile

Actually I was much more militant back in the day, but working with those kids really did teach me that how I comported myself often times dictated how successful I was getting through to a kid.  Heck I knew I got it right when the kids started acting up and all I had to do was look at them.  "We're getting the look" and then things would calm down.  Then we'd get a new kid or new kids and have to start all over again.  Teaching manners, like teaching anything takes time, effort, blood, sweat and tears.  All the important things do.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)