What is your strategy for NOT getting addicted to the forums?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (56 posts)
  1. allie8020 profile image67
    allie8020posted 14 years ago

Many hubbers admit to being addicted to the forums and I've been afraid that it would happen to me. I'm sure it's difficult to overcome this addiction.

I know it's a lot of fun to participate, but I still want to be very productive and write as much as I can. I think I maybe at high risk for getting addicted to forum participation. So, I need your help.

I just did one forum post (YAAAAY!) and this is my first topic posting. Before I get addicted to forum participation, can you please share your strategies for preventing this addiction?

1. Arthur Fontes profile image74
      Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is probably too late!  Once you get a taste for forums the temptation will be hard to control.

allie8020posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I really hope you're mistaken. Today is my first day here and I will try to be good. So far, it doesn't look too good for me. I'm supposed to be working out before I start writing again, but obviously I'm replying to your forum post.

1. Arthur Fontes profile image74
          Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Told you!!

2. prettydarkhorse profile image64
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

just discipline is all, when I am writing, I sign off HUbPages

Good for you! At this time, I don't sign off when I'm writing. Discipline is something I definitely want to develop.

3. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
      Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Admitting that it isnt an addiction to the forums, but to the interaction with other people helps. Enjoyment of other peoples company, input and insights are what make the 'forums' addictive...
      personally I find Forum interaction a help for writing not a hinderance

Peace and Love  big_smile

I think after some time, I will be able to participate in the forums and still spend enough time writing. Thanks, Mikel! smile

4. Carmen Borthwick profile image59
      Carmen Borthwickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It isn't as easy now, it takes more work! It was so simple before to just post a response... like IM... now its a chore! I haven't been here for awhile, buts its changed.

Hi Carmen!

Really? It used to be simpler? Well, I'm just getting to know the process. Maybe that will help me avoid getting addicted to the forums. smile

5. vox vocis profile image81
      vox vocisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually, forums are a good thing because you can present yourself and it's also one way of drawing more traffic to your hubs! You just need to post answers or comments on the topics you're really interested in, if you're sure about what you have to say. And as for the addiction, dear, you're the one to decide how much time you'll spend on forums, Hubpages, Internet or anything else. Controlling ourselves is the art of living!

6. anime_nanet profile image59
      anime_nanetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't come i here...

...o wait.... ups!

bye!

2. Wayne Orvisburg profile image61
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 14 years ago

Well, the first step is to admit there is a problem...

I noticed that many hubbers admit to being addicted -- and then they do nothing about it!

I really hope it doesn't happen to me.

1. Sa Toya profile image83
        Sa Toyaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I spend too much time here...sometimes not even replying or posting just reading...it's ridiculous...I have  a problem but it's one I've made peace with big_smile

Yeah, I know what you mean. Even when I'm writing, I peek here and read some of the forum posts.

3. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

the same strategy I have for not getting a hang over...keep drinking....

Too funny...

2. Niteriter profile image60
      Niteriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Irish, I love you more every day!

4. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

To get banned...occasionally

Hmmmm... that's an unusual idea! You probably have to be somewhat obnoxious to be banned, don't you? I don't know... I tend to be kind. So, it looks like I have to have discipline to stay away from the forums.

5. blondepoet profile image66
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

When things get too bad I recommend tying up one's hands with strong sturdy rope while distracting the mind with a good Abba song.

Good idea! A good Abba song or any song plus some dancing will probably help.

AAAARGH! Gotta stop posting and workout now! Must force myself to step away from the computer...

6. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

I am so addicted to the forums I have considered getting a different job that won't allow me so much time online during the day - but I know I would just stay up half the night then, so I could make jokes and talk with my buddies here.  They do inspire me to write too, so it's not all time lost!

This is my plan B. If I get addicted to the forums, I will set aside some time at night *after* I'm done writing my articles.

2. allie8020 profile image67

I agree. Some of the forum posts helped me stick to my schedule and inspired me to write. So, forum participation can be very helpful as well as being fun.

7. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

yes, the only solution is to leave the house, do not take your laptop with you - and do something else!

I tried this and it works. Thanks! smile

8. AnythingArtzy profile image67
    AnythingArtzyposted 14 years ago

I have no plans to form a strategy. I fully intend to become addicted. I'm loving it and I suggest you check out the thread about the Ruffled Cock   Oh I've never laughtd so hard at the posts. LOL LOL LOL LOL

I checked out the thread about Ruffled Cock. Sooo funny! lol

9. Milla Mahno profile image60
    Milla Mahnoposted 14 years ago

Total abstinence, the only thing that works. To some extent...

This is definitely something I want to be able to do. It will take a lot of discipline to participate in the forums and stay away sometimes, but this will be my goal. Thanks for sharing! smile

10. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

by not getting addicted. big_smile

Wow, you've made over 9500 posts! That's pretty amazing! Thanks for sharing... smile

11. goldenpath profile image68
    goldenpathposted 14 years ago

Discipline, as prettydarkhorse said.  First sit down and contemplate exactly why you are on HubPages.  Is it for income?  Is it for creativity?  Is it for the social interaction?  Is it all the above? 

If it's for income and/or writing I would suggest just digging in and write "offline" your several hubs.  Sure, dig around the forums but do so in search of ideas on hubs and improving hubs.  There are many threads regarding backlinks.  Read them.  The same with affiliate settings.  Read them.

The hardest thing for the vast number of us sitting in front of the computer is learning how to discipline our time and minds.  If you are not accomplishing the reason you joined HubPages then it's probably an issue of time mismanagement and spending time doing things that are not productive.  This leads to self loathing and will bring down your spirit until you feel you cannot accomplish anything. 

Gain that focus and run with it.  The internet is a wonderful tool but is especially useful when used with discipline.  It's your fingers doing the typing and clicking the mouse.  Don't let the internet become a flaxen cord around your neck. 

Best of hope for your endeavors!

Wow, great advice! Okay, I'm not supposed to be replying to you because I'm in the middle of writing. But, I just wanted to thank you for your comment. Now, I'll take your advice and get back to work.

12. marcel285 profile image63
    marcel285posted 14 years ago

I keep in mind, why i am here, to write. So i focus more on making new hubs, and updating my existing hubs, rather than forums.

It's great that you're able to achieve that -- that is my goal. Thanks! smile

13. apace profile image59
    apaceposted 14 years ago

I guess I have no strategy which is why I am here.

I only got 3 hours sleep last night, but got up this morning and did 90 minutes cardio with the intention of writing.

Having decided to start writing it is revealing that I went straight to the forums.

This is a timely reminder that for me it isn't forum addiction part of a broader strategy of avoidance and procrastination.

Thanks for the reminder. It came at exactly the right time. Having said that (the time is 'now' blah blah blah) many times, I still havn't written my first hub, so I have hit the heights of hypocrisy again.

Yeah, start writing your hubs. Based on your post, you're probably going to be able to write good hubs. Good luck! smile

14. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

What is your strategy for not getting addicted to the forums?

I have no addiction to feed, even though, my number of posts would say different.

And, as I've said plenty of times before. I enjoy the community of people here. I've even taken it to the new level as in community support, yet wasn't asked.

I have a company tied to my writing. The knowledge I have is offered in my writing. I am active in the forums, so as to get more knowledge from people and to do that, I must interact with them.

Therefore, I have no addiction. I just love the community of people who are there to help others. I commend their work. smile

Wow, almost 14,000 posts! As long as you're enjoying the forum interaction, then it's not a problem for you. Have fun! smile

15. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

Easy.  When my wife starts looking at the .357 Magnum with really friendly eyes, it's time to sign off.  lol

Good point! Just be alert for the signs... lol

16. glendoncaba profile image73
    glendoncabaposted 14 years ago

Focus on your family. 

Keep coming up with strategies to improve your day job.

Thanks for sharing... smile

17. wrenfrost56 profile image56
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

Don't ask me, I got hooked ages ago! lol

18. myownworld profile image73
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

....by being banned into a 3 day rehab....helps!

19. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

i replace my forum addiction with some other addiction,  wink

1. myownworld profile image73
      myownworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol always a wise thing to do!

1. profile image0
        Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

thank you. hey, have you any new news?

20. thekidandblue profile image59
    thekidandblueposted 14 years ago

look at the religion forums say ffs to yourself and go have a cup of tea

21. NewYorker profile image58
    NewYorkerposted 14 years ago

Im addicted.. yikes

22. SheaW profile image60
    SheaWposted 14 years ago

I started smoking and have since reduced my addiction to forums a full 43%.

I believe that by adding a few other replacement addictions I will then break my addiction to the forum.  smile

No! No! Nooo!

I'm sure you're just kidding smile

23. Deborah-Lynn profile image60
    Deborah-Lynnposted 14 years ago

Avoid reading this new girls' hubs or you will become a pitiful addict searching the forums for more of her...

http://hubpages.com/hub/Merrier-Than-Christmas

http://hubpages.com/_1vm9qvvxyxh1p/hub/ … ic-Fantasy

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)