Water Baptism

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (219 posts)
  1. Crawling Surface profile image59
    Crawling Surfaceposted 14 years ago

What is the correct way to baptize, in the name of Jesus, or in the titles Father, Son, Holy Ghost

1. tantrum profile image59
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you're a christian as i take it from your hubs, you should know the answer

2. yes2truth profile image59
      yes2truthposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Go here and read my article and you will learn The Truth of this matter:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Should-Christ … ;id=853886

3. TMMason profile image61
      TMMasonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Trinity is a Catholic conception and so is purgatory. Are you Catholic?

1. gracefaith profile image61
        gracefaithposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Trinity is the persons of God and is the fundamental of His character. It is not Catholic. The Catholic Church was the beginning of the Christianity but all Christian Churches believe in the Trinity. Purgatory is deffinately Catholic though.

4. Danny R Hand profile image60
      Danny R Handposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Baptism has two specific purposes. your answer lies within one of those purposes. First, being baptized is an act of obediance. Second, being baptized makes a public statement of your faith and is done in remembrance of the reserection. So full dipersment in water would be the proper reinactment of the burial and reserection of Christ. However, God looks at the heart, so if the intent is correct, the specific act is not set in stone. We are the ones who build restrictive boxes, not God.

1. Beelzedad profile image59
        Beelzedadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

"Well, I'll be a son of a bitch.

Delmar's been saved.

Well, that's it, boys. I been redeemed.

The preacher done washed away all my sins and transgressions.

It's the straight and narrow from here on out.

And heaven everlasting's my reward.

Delmar, what are you on about? We got bigger fish to fry.

The preacher said all my sins is washed away,

including that Piggly Wiggly I knocked over in Yazoo.

You said you was innocent of that.

Well, I was lyin'.

And the preacher said that that sin's been washed away, too.

Neither God nor man's got nothin' on me now.

Come on in, boys. The water is fine."

5. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

First you should find out what their names are.

Father, Son and Holy Ghost are not names, just titles

1. Judah's Daughter profile image80
        Judah's Daughterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

AMEN.  His name is "I AM", Yehovah (YHVH) ~ Father, Son and Holy Ghost/Spirit!!

1. profile image0

Wow hmmm
          Notice it says in the name OF the Father, AND OF the Son AND OF the Holy Ghost.
          Three different names not one.
          Otherwise it would say:
          In the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost..not AND OF

Notice also it does not say "in the names of...", but "the NAME of"...I have a hub called "Let Me Tell You WHO GOD IS" that shows He is not three separate "gods" or "entities" (whatever the best English word is to try to explain it).  Blessings ~

1. profile image0

Yes, there are many of those. But the Hebrew scriptures do not say The three are one.

Right.  He is ONE.

1. profile image0

Right?
                  Please read again..not one.

"I and the Father are one"; "they are no longer two, but one flesh" (speaking of the husband and wife) ~ the Greek word "heis/mia".  I recommend this hub, sister ~ be blessed.

2. profile image0

AND OF. AND OF, AND OF..there's the clue.

2. bearnmom profile image67
    bearnmomposted 14 years ago

I was taught to baptize "in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit" - and all babies should be baptized as soon as possible.  Those are the two things I remember about baptism.

3. Make  Money profile image67
    Make Moneyposted 14 years ago

Matthew 28:19 "Going therefore, teach ye all nations; baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost."

Yes for sure bearnmom, babies should be Baptized.

Crawling Surfaceposted 14 years agoin reply to this

absolutely not, and by the way Matt 28:19 isn't a baptismal formula, it's a commandment to go and do something in the NAME of these titles that have been mentioned in the Bible before. The name is Jesus that is the only way any of his apostles ever baptized anyone. I suppose that they didn't know what they were doing, right.

1. donotfear profile image84
        donotfearposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree with you, Crawling Surface. The Apostles baptized in Jesus Name.  I do think the manner of baptism should be Jesus Name, however, I don't think it to be a requirement for salvation.

4. Sanctus Vesania profile image60
    Sanctus Vesaniaposted 14 years ago

In the name of Jesus only.

YES my friend you are correct
      http://of-the-lord.blogspot.com

1. Make  Money profile image67
        Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I read that blog article that you posted.  Sorry friend but a fundamental tenet of Christianity is to believe in the Holy Trinity.  Without that you can't call yourself a Christian.

About infant Baptism in the Bible;

Source

1. Vladimir Uhri profile image60
          Vladimir Uhriposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My friend, you have all the scriptures but you do not understand them.

1. yes2truth profile image59

Nothing you have said here qualifies infant baptism. Infant blessings yes but not Baptism. The Father calls people to His Son and He would not call a child unless they were mature enough to respond.

Even The Lord Himself did not embark on His Spiritual Father's business until He was twelve.

The cost has to be counted before we embark on our walk down the narrow path. An infant is not capable of doing this nor is a parent placed in a position to decide such a thing.

You are very wrong on this point.

I do not know for sure who is wrong. I believe the baptism of infant is invalid and not biblical.
              Lord said: You have to be born from above (born again). Water, bread, wine are all from below. Vladimir.

1. marinealways24 profile image59
                marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Man/Religion/Government said that, not a divine being. Ridiculous!

2. Vladimir Uhri profile image60

I baptize in the name of Jesus and in the name of Father, Son and Holy Spirit. All are happy.
        We do not have three Gods, only One YHVH ELOHIM. He manifested Himself to us in three persons.
        I am also tri-une, I am a spirit, living in the body and have the soul. I am His image. Jesus never permitted to pray except to God only, in His name. Jesus is our representative.
        But this is besides the point.

2. profile image50
      Precious100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you! You are correct.

3. Judah's Daughter profile image80

Acts 8:16 "For He [the Holy Spirit] had not yet fallen upon any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus."

5. zadrobi profile image61
    zadrobiposted 14 years ago

Watch Nacho Libre and ye shall find the answer.

6. ediggity profile image61
    ediggityposted 14 years ago

It really depends on your denomination.  What does the bible say?

There cometh one mightier than I after
    me, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to stoop
    down and unloose. {1:8} I indeed have baptized you with
    water: but he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost. {1:9}
    And it came to pass in those days, that Jesus came from
    Nazareth of Galilee, and was baptized of John in Jordan.
    {1:10} And straightway coming up out of the water, he saw
    the heavens opened, and the Spirit like a dove descending
    upon him: {1:11} And there came a voice from heaven,
    [saying,] Thou art my beloved Son, in whom I am well
    pleased. {1:12}

Ye know not what ye
    ask: can ye drink of the cup that I drink of? and be baptized
    with the baptism that I am baptized with? {10:39} And they
    said unto him, We can. And Jesus said unto them, Ye shall
    indeed drink of the cup that I drink of; and with the baptism
    that I am baptized withal shall ye be baptized: {10:40} But
    to sit on my right hand and on my left hand is not mine to
    give; but [it shall be given to them] for whom it is prepared.
    {10:41}

1. atomswifey profile image56
      atomswifeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Amen!!
      The word here gives us the answer to this question from the mouth of Jesus Christ himself smile

7. underhiswings profile image59
    underhiswingsposted 14 years ago

Where in the scripture do you find a baby being baptized?
    Circumcised yes, baptized...??
    Baptism (Mikvah) was always done with someone who knew what it meant and why they were doing it.

1. atomswifey profile image56
      atomswifeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

true Jesus was baptized as he was old enough to understand these things, while he was an adult.
      I was baptized as an adult. I made the decision on my own. Though I do not think there is anything wrong with babies being baptized, it should be a decision for the individual to make as they grow from a child into an adult, from an unbeliever to a believer, from one who is too young to understand into one with the understanding of its importance.
      This is my perspective on it as it pertains to scripture.

1. profile image0
        cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

what???

i thought infants were always baptized so that if they perished suddenly, their souls wouldn't be trapped in Purgatory. it was like a routine thing for infants to be baptized where i come from.

2. Judah's Daughter profile image80

And, when Jesus was brought to the temple as a baby to the arms of Simeon, He was prayed over, but not baptized.  http://dce.oca.org/assets/files/resources/102.pdf  Jesus' parents set the example, Jesus set the example, and nowhere in scripture are babies baptized.  Protestants "dedicate" their babies as Joseph and Mary did.  They bring them to the congregation and have the pastor and church pray over them.  When they are old enough to understand their decision to follow Christ, they are then baptized.  Water baptism doesn't save, as some churches mistakenly believe.  The thief on the cross was never baptized, but his confession of faith saved him.  I have a hub called Religion versus Salvation that goes more in depth into this.  We follow the ordinance of water baptism because Christ did.  It is most important a believer be baptized by Jesus (who never water baptized anyone), and that is the baptism of the Holy Spirit.  I have a hub on baptism, if anyone needs scriptural proof of this.  AMEN.

Amen to it.

2. A_to_J profile image61
      A_to_Jposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I feel this way as well smile

Exactly, baptism is for remission of sins. Under no circumstance would you baptize a baby unless $$$$$$$ (thats catholicism for ya) http://of-the-lord.blogspot.com

3. Make  Money profile image67

Baptism is the new "circumcision" for all people of the New Covenant so the question should be why would children be excluded from Baptism?

This web page on the Sacrament of Baptism lists many Bible verses about Baptism including why infants should be Baptized, there's lots.

1. underhiswings profile image59
        underhiswingsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The thing I find in the scripture is baptism being associated with resurrection and done after a person repents from known sin.
        An infant does not fit this requirement at all.

Again, anytime in scripture baptism is done is with a person who knows what they are doing with full knowledge as to why.

The new circumcision is done in the heart now, nothing to do with baptism.
        Scripture says to have your heart circumcised.

Going into the water of baptism dead, then coming up alive in Messiah.
        Holy Spirit circumcises your heart.

1. Make  Money profile image67

I guess you didn't read all the verses mentioned on that web page I posted underhiswings, like I say there are a lot of incidences in the Bible that refer to infant Baptism.

2. Vladimir Uhri profile image60

Sorry, your hub is not my scripture.

2. Crawling Surface profile image59

Under no circumstance should a baby be baptized NEVER.
          Baptism in the Holy Ghost has nothing to do with water baptism.
          See Acts 8:12-16 and you will see that these people were in fact baptized in the name of Jesus yet the Holy Ghost had fallen on none of them. It's a totally different part of the new birth experience.

You wouldn't exclude children from baptism, as you are correct this is the spiritual circumcision, they would however have to be old enough to know the purpose behind the ordeal. I've seen children as young as 7 or 8 being baptized, speaking in tounges thereafter and the whole deal.

3. Vladimir Uhri profile image60

Wrong. Sorry. Jesus said: preach the Gospel to the world and baptize... First, man has to hear, then believe, and be baptize and not reverse. The baptism is not substitute for circumcision. Only Roman's religion believes it. Baby cannot believe and understand and God already took care for them until they will know difference what is right and wrong. Baptism in Roman Church started with Augustine. Some denominations gaining membership by formal baptism by sprinkling of babies. It is wrong.
        Baptism of John was baptisms of an Old Testament for repentance those who were already in Covenant with God, the Jews. It is not applicable for other nations, if they are not in Covenant with God by being born of God (John 3:3).
        Baptism by immersion is only testimony what happened to us during the new birth. The real baptism is by the Holy Spirit.

8. profile image52
    mcrutchfieldposted 14 years ago

Nowhere in the Bible do you find infants being Baptised. Scriptural baptism is a picture of the death, the burial, and the resurection of Christ. Nowhere in the Bible did it occur prior to conversion. It is one of the first things a new follower of Christ should do after conversion and in obediance to His will.

9. Sanctus Vesania profile image60

A Trinity that the apostles didn't believe in; and a trinity that wasn't placed in scriptures until the third century; and furthermore a trinity that is derived of pagan deities.

What fellowship does darkness have with light?  What fellowship can Satan and God have with each other?

For people who love to personify the Holy Spirit, they seem only capable of presenting him as a dove.  Last I checked, an animal wasn't a person.

1. profile image0

In the English translation it says:
      Matthew 28:19
      Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

The Holy Spirit is not male. It is the Shekhinah (aka Shekinah) which is the divine presence, the feminine aspect of God.
      It is the Creator Elohim. We were created male and female in the same image as God..It has always been around and it matters not if it was given to man at the time. Man does not drive the existence of the Source of all.

Now the secret is in finding their names..

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The secret is in listening to "their" voice.....

His sheep know His voice.   And He knows them.

There's no need to pick at the names that've been translated into English,  since God is certainly multi-lingual!  haha

1. profile image0

Father, Son and Holy Ghost are not names.

If you believe part of your Bible, you have to believe it all.

1. profile image0

I do.

And your point being...?

1. profile image0

It says in their names, not their titles. Yet you state the names don't matter...that's my point.

2. profile image0

You shouldn't ask to go round and round with me, especially when you usually run off and hide when the going gets tough.

10. celafoe profile image54
    celafoeposted 14 years ago

Baptism is for believers only.   They must be born again and know what they are doing.   There is NO scripture that allows for babies to be baptized.   Dedicated to the Lord --Yes   Baptized-NO

Some churches may do it  but it is not a Christian (scriptural) practice

11. yes2truth profile image59
    yes2truthposted 14 years ago

"I read that blog article that you posted.  Sorry friend but a fundamental tenet of Christianity is to believe in the Holy Trinity.  Without that you can't call yourself a Christian."

Futher to Sanctus' reply, without the trinity you cannot call yourself a man/woman of the Babylonian Christian Religion with it's HQ in Rome.

Go here and learn something instead of blindly following evil lies and deceptions:
    <URLs snipped - no link promotion in the Forums>

12. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

.... or read something factual instead of interpreting lies from a disproved book about a non existent god. smile

Oh no, not another dripping tap. Call a plumber someone will you!!??

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Your so funny! I could hardly start laughing! smile

That's very appropriate, for I doubt you have a sense of humour anyway, but thanks for being here so that you can be the butt of our jokes.

Chuckle Chuckle Chuckle.

You wish. What a pathetic little mind.

Seeing as I have a pathetic little mind, according to you, when are we going to get some examples of your great mind. I won't hold my breath whilst waiting.

Oh, of course, you rate the silly Grundy woman - that kind of 'great mind'. Thanks for the best joke yet on this forum!! Yet more chuckling.

Have you considered a stage career as a comedian?

Pam eats weasels for breakfast! You will never have 10% of her talent. lol

I have no need of talent for verbal diarrhoea which seems to come naturally to both you and her.

Ever thought of starting a compost business?

Eating weasels!? No wonder she writes so much guff.

So what talent do you have apart from making a goose of yourself on forums and pokiing fun at people who could buy and sell you without your knowledge? lol? lol

2. tantrum profile image59

Lets see you jokes, please big_smile  I doubt you can come with any lol

With people like you around who needs jokes of their own? Chuckle chuckle chuckle. Keep up the bad work!! More laughing but on the floor now.

13. Sanctus Vesania profile image60

*yawns*

14. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

it is not me who came to the fairy hub to tell all the other believers that I alone have the truth from the book, that was and is you.
    That is called projection. smile

Not at all, it's called The Truth and this is something that they know nothing about and as it happens nor do you.

I see. What you say is the truth. Like I said...

What I say is The Truth - period!! Your not liking it and/or your disagreement is a complete irrelevance.

Just do yourself a favour and go away.

Here he is folks! The sole owner of the truth!! Not a megalomaniac, No siree! The first person on planet earth to deduce the truth from a book of lies. Pathetic! lol

Ah, Another hubpages Prophet!!! lol

Prophets don't like to be challenged. Makes them look bad. lol

You cannot make me look bad that is an impossibility, for even when I am wrong, I am right.

lol

Another person that is their own distruction. Your follower minds are quite predictable.

In your arrogance, you believe you have answers when you know nothing. Find that in the bible.

Not at all. I have been made righteous by The Lord. If you have any problems with that then tough. I am not answerable to you.

I am not alone and nowhere have I said that I am the only one and as I have already said your wretched opinion is an irrelevance.

This means the accolade for being pathetic lies with you, for the more you type the more moronic and stupid you sound and look, especially with that cork stuck in your mouth.

I'll have to find a new cork too for the dripping hasn't stopped.

2. marinealways24 profile image59

You are a prophet aren't you?

No, I am not a prophet. I do not have the gift of prophecy. I am a messenger of The Truth that's all and that is enough.

That could be considered a prophet in the making.

When do you graduate to prophecy? lol

Are you that ignorant to believe that your truth is absolute and should be everyone's truth?

It's not my Truth. It's His Truth and there is only one problem here - your inability to understand it, for you have not been given the ability to understand it. Just stop wasting your time here.

lol

So you are that ignorant.

No it is you that is ignorant - Spiritually dead, and someone that is completely out of their depth. I can even hear the glugging as the water rises over your mouth.

"That could be considered a prophet in the making."

You can consider what you like, but it won't amount to more that than pile of you know what.

Are you a prophet?

Get the needle out of the groove - it's stuck.

Yes, much like a religious mind.

15. RGraf profile image88
    RGrafposted 14 years ago

Getting back a little closer to the original posting ----

The issue of what name to baptize in: Jesus or Father,Son,and Holy Spirit.  In reality, aren't they all the same?  Jesus is the Father in human form and the Spirit is the part of Him that lives within us.

No they are not the same. The Father and The Son are two distinct beings and the Holy Spirit is their Power.

We should be Baptised into Christ's name alone.

16. Valerie F profile image61
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

Actually, mainline Protestants except Baptists practice infant baptism.

Non-denominational churches also do not baptize infants.  Only the "religious" ones.  It's not scriptural in any way, only by man's religious interpretation (i.e. calling it a substitue for infant circumcison).  Infants were circumcised on the 8th day.  Jesus was dedicated at the temple to Simeon at 40 days and was NEVER baptized as an infant.  He was circumcised on the 8th day, according to Jewish law, then baptized at the age of 30.  If we were to follow His example, we would do the same.

1. Valerie F profile image61
        Valerie Fposted 14 years agoin reply to this

For something that is "not scriptural in any way," there is an awful lot of Scriptural and archeological evidence suggesting that children were baptized in the Early Church and not a shred of evidence that the Scriptures specifically forbid infant baptism.

Not a shred of evidence that infant baptism is biblical either.

What if The Father is not calling that child? What use is the infant baptism then?

17. Valerie F profile image61
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

What makes individualism so great anyway?

I'm all in favor of individuality, but I believe it's the last thing that should be made an "ism." It's just an extreme, selfish response to extreme collectivism, and is just as wrong as the latter in my opinion.

No 2 people on this earth are exactly alike and you ask why individualism is great.

Individualism is our greatest freedom. Is this minor to you?

And God made the snowflakes, each with a different pattern, unique to the rest; no two are alike, but they are snow, just the same.  One snowflake will melt when all alone, but together, they can last for hours, days, or months.  But snowflakes can only exist with specific conditions, which come from God alone.  God is an Awesome God and our Creator!  AMEN.

God is assumptions to give you something to believe to control you from acting like an animal.

which in the case of a zealot is not an easy task. smile

Or an individual mind.

2. Judah's Daughter profile image80

God made us in His image.  Only twins have identical fingerprints, but we are the image of our Father, the God of Creation...just look at Jesus Christ (meaning Messiah), our Savior.  Animals don't look anything like us, nor are they made in God's image.  We named them and rule over them ~ we did not come from them, but from God, our Abba (Daddy).  AMEN :-)  Glad to see you've become a fan, my friend :-)

You are wrong about the twins fingerprints too. why am I not surprised. smile

Thus, my point is strengthened.  Some research states they are similar enough that it takes a microscope to identify the differences.  However, then, no two set of fingerprints are alike, which means we are ALL DIFFERENT, as snowflakes are DIFFERENT.  No two are the same.  Case in point.

lol where is the point?

You provide that we are all different, yet you look for a belief to follow rather than an individual belief. Make sense?

2. marinealways24 profile image59

So, we are all made "different" from one another, yet you strive to all have the "same" belief.

Born an "individual", seek to be a "follower".

God didn't make us, we made God to control the masses from acting as animals.

If we made God, then you should be following Him, too, so as not to act like an animal, which is what you would be, if there is no Creator.  Actually, it is a sign to you that people all over the world who do not know each other, know the same God, follow His Word and are bound together in love.  Godless people are not united in this sense, but rather share a multitude of godless views that are probably as different as the snowflakes from above ~~ I'd rather be with the snowflakes that stick together, and when it looks like life is rolling downhill, we become stronger and stronger; whereas, an individual that stands alone is like a single snowflake that will not roll anywhere, just melt in its individualized place.  I'm not here to judge, but to help others come to know the One God that will save them from the GREAT DOWNHILL to come ~ I believe we are approaching the last days, according to prophecy ~~ Come to Jesus, because He died to save your souls and will watch over us until we join Him in heaven.  This life isn't all there is.

lol no one knows the afterlife until you die. Only assumptions.

I do not live by assumptions.

Religion and bible aren't meant to save, their meant to control.

2. Valerie F profile image61
        Valerie Fposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Individuality is our greatest freedom. Individualism is slavery to self.

18. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

Baptism 'in the name of Jesus' is how it originally began because that is how the apostles baptized. The scripture about going and baptizing in the Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost means (for me) the NAME (Jesus) of the Father, Son, Holy ghost.  But since it was changed at the council of Nicea, more denominations have followed the trinitarian preference. However, I think that being baptized, whichever, way is up to the believer since it's not the actual baptism that gets one into Heaven.

19. aperturering profile image79
    apertureringposted 14 years ago

What is considered the proper phrase to be recited during the act of the baptism can vary depending on the denomination. As I am Roman Catholic, I was baptized "in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit". The Roman Catholic Church only recognizes baptisms by immersion, or by pouring as valid if they are done in conjunction with the Trinitarian formula(father, son, holy ghost). Of course if your church denies the trinity, like the Unitarians or Pentecostals, they will not use that phrase and may baptize "in the name of Jesus". Likewise, these churches may not recognize baptisms which the Trinitarian formula was used.

Of course, which phrase to use is just symantics.

As far as Infant Baptism, the practice of baptizing infants is to wash away all sin and incorporate them into the church. While infants do not have personal sin, baptism cleanses them of original sin.

1. goldenpath profile image67
      goldenpathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do have an answer to your initial question though I will not recite the baptismal words here.  Be it known, though, that we do so in the name of the Father, Son and the Holy Ghost.  As a Mormon I understand, fully, what religious persecution is and the fruits of ignorance which always preceeds it.  We are Christians and worship the Godhead and believe salvation can only be accomplished through the path of Jesus the Christ. 

Though, I do not share your views on infant baptism I do respect your beliefs and acknowledge that they are views you hold dear.  My view is that baptism is a personal choice and should only be encouraged to those who are mature of age and are mentally capable of that decision.  Those who are unaccountable throughout their life need not this baptism in this life for their salvation is all but assured.  As far as original sin is concerned I believe that part of Christ's Atonement was to create that "bridge" for mankind leading back to the Father thus cleansing that fallen state of man.  We are fallen but through the Atonement mankind now has the opportunity of Father's eternal presence.  I respect your views and hopefully the same courtesy from readers will be expressed in word and/or silence to the both of us.  Thanks for your views.

There is only one correct formula for baptism, This is in The name of Jesus (this is how we receive remission of sins (see Acts 2:38, this is the day of Pentecost, this is in fact where the church began, and this is the only way that these Apostles ever baptized anyone. They also told us that this would not change, also to beware of such who would change the things that they taught in the beginning. Matt 28:19 is NOT a baptismal formula, rather it is a commandment to go and do something in these TITLES of God that have been mentioned in the bible before. Finally if this is something that you have a problem comprehending see Isaiah 9:6, this is in fact a prophecy of the very words that Jesus is speakung in Matt 28:18-19, and look at the titles that Isaiah gives to Jesus. Not only does he give him the titles of Everlasting Father, Son, Counsellour (the Holy Ghost is the counselor/comforter) he also gives this prophesied child the title of The Mighty God, this in turn is why he is called Wonderful. Isaiah also says in this particular passage that the government shall be upon his shoulder. This is the same thing that Jesus says in Matt28:18 All power is given to me= The government shall be upon his shoulder, go ye therefore (what does he mean therefore? Therefore because I'm the one with all of the power. How did this power get there? By the prophecy of the word, that's how). Preach the Gospel and baptize in the NAME (singular) My name I'm the one with the power. Also Father is not a name, Son is not a name, everyone knows the Sons name, Holy Ghost is not a name. When you baptize in the NAME of JESUS you get these titles and many others to boot. Finally when Peyer stood up on the day of Pentecost and preached and told them Acts 2:38 [38]Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. After saying all this, as this one of the last things Peter said to those that he was addressing as far as what they must do to be saved. If there was any ambiguity concerning this matter don't you think that Matthew or one of the other apostles would have stood up and said "Hold on now Peter, that's not what the Lord commanded us to do". You better believe that they would have. On the converse they were all standing behind Peter backing every word that he spoke. Read the book of Acts you'll see that this is the only formula that they ever used. Last but not least, the book of Acts is the only book in the entire bible where you can go and actually see the way that these things took place. You can search every scripture with a fine tooth comb, epistles, the four gospels, there is nowhere save the book of Acts where you will see first hand somebody being baptized. I know that Jesus was baptized, I know that John baptized with the baptism of repentance, I'm talking about the new birth, i.e. the things that Jesus commanded them to go and do after his ascension.

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Great-Commi … el-Of-Matt
        This should shed some light on the correct formula for baptism

20. profile image0
    Marc Salyerposted 14 years ago

Baptism is not the best term for the ritual being described here. The word in Greek from which our word "baptize" is derived is "baptizo" and it means immerse or submerge. The King James translators invented the word Baptism / Baptize when they decided to anglicize the Greek word "baptizo" rather than translate it into its natural English counterpart - immerse. To have done so would have been a challenge to the Church of England and the King himself (who commissioned the translating work) who was the head of the church.

It was the practice of first century Jewish people to immerse in ritual baths or in naturally occurring bodies of running water. The first century Israelis called it Mikvah and they dunked themselves three times a day. Many religious Jewish people continue this practice today.

Jochannan the Immerser used mikvah as an initiation rite to those who would follow his teaching. They were Baptized "into" his message of the kingdom. This was not uncommon for religious leaders to do. And Yeshua continued this drawing on John's message and translating it into the greater message. Yeshua's students passed on this initiation to the Jews and Gentiles living outside of Israel. The practice has taken on various modes since.

Babies never participated in mikvah. As Yeshua describes it for His followers it was to accompany their reception of Salvation by faith in Him.

Acts 2:38 should read (this is a paraphrase) repent, be forgiven, and receive the Holy Spirit and the immersion (then he seems to relate the water immersion to the indwelling of the Holy Spirit though he does not teach or indicate that immersion is salvific)   (Robertson, Grammar, p. 592)

1. profile image0
      Marc Salyerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I should have explained: this is because the Church of England baptized infants and did not immerse.

21. docrehab profile image61
    docrehabposted 14 years ago

"Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." Acts 2:38

That is absolutely correct. If you hold someone's head under water for too long they die. smile

22. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

I don't know but you should try a Mikvah where it's done in a pool and you have to dunk completely 3 times with 3 Rabbi's present behind a curtain because you have no clothes on.  I still think they peeked lol

They're sexually repressed, of course they peeked! lol

1. profile image0
        lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is one pile of happy teeth!! lol

1. profile image0
            lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol lol lol

23. profile image50
    Precious100posted 14 years ago

The word Purgatory is not biblical. There is either heaven or hell...no such thing as an in between! Second, Water Baptism is for the REMOVAL OF SIN! Will you allow a skunk to come into your home. Don't think So! Do you think God will tolerate sin/filth into his Heavenly Kingdom? Absolutely NOT. Therefore we Must be cleaned up..! Correct way to baptize is in the NAME OF JESUS CHRIST. YOU CAN BE PLACED IN THE WATER 50 TIMES BUT UNTIL HIS NAME JESUS IS CALLED OUT YOU ARE NONE OF HIS. YOU GO DOWN DRY AND COME UP THE SAME! OBEY ACTS 2:38....FOR THE REMISSION/ERASING/REMOVAL OF SIN. WHY ARE PPL AGAINST THE NAME BUT YET THEY CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS...THE LITTLE BABY JESUS! DUH!! YES HE DID TELL HIS DISCIPLE MATTHEW 16:16---BAPTIZING HIM IN THE ....NAME! HIS DISCIPLE KNEW WHO HE WAS. TITLE IS NO NAME--FATHER, SON, HOLY GHOST THEY ARE TITLES....USE HIS NAME. IF YOU WANT TO BE HIS....THEN YOU OUGHT TO TAKE ON HIS NAME...EVEN AS A WOMAN TAKE ON HER HUSBAND'S NAME...OTHERWISE SHE IS NONE OF HIS! LIKEWISE, MANY WILL BE LEFT OUT OF HEAVEN BECAUSE OF NOT PROPERLY BAPTIZED.

24. Davidsonofjesie profile image59
    Davidsonofjesieposted 14 years ago

im not sure , but i think for me should know why

25. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I was christened in the Presbyterian Church as an infant, then sprinkled in the same church as a teen. A year or so later I joined a baptist church and had to be immersed because they didn't recognize the sprinkling. I think it was done in the name of the Trinity.

That one is damn funny. big_smile

1. profile image0

Baptists believe it's best to be immersed like Jesus was.

Sorry Brenda, but it was the 'didn't recognize the sprinkling' part that had me in stitches. Here's why.

If a believer truly believes they have a relationship with their god, no amount of "earthly rituals" will ever change that. If I'm wrong, please tell me why.

smile

1. profile image0

You're not wrong.
            Water baptism doesn't change anything.
            But it's something that I believe a born-again Christian will do if possible, in imitation of, and honor of, Christ.

26. Judah's Daughter profile image80
    Judah's Daughterposted 14 years ago

Infant baptism is nowhere in the Bible.  Jesus was baptized (submerged in water) at the age of 30.  Baptism in water is an ordinance, symbolic of the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus and is called the "baptism of repentance".  Better get baptized in the Holy Spirit, which doesn't require any water (i.e. the Day of Pentecost) and Acts 19:3-6.  Refer also to Acts 8:16 "For He [Holy Spirit] had not yet fallen upon any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus."  Didn't John the Baptist say in Mat 3:11, "As for me, I baptize you with water for repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, and I am not fit to remove His sandals; He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire"?  Note, Jesus never baptized anyone in water (John 4:2).  I have a hub on this called "John and Jesus: About BAPTISM".  Blessings...

27. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

supposedly, unbaptized babies will go to purgatory forever when they die. but if they get a water baptism when they are grown-up, does this cancel that out?

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Dunno - but a bunch of people have sued the Italian church (and won) to have themselves removed from the baptism lists - seeing as abusing babies like that is against the law.

Real law - not this rubbish the religionists spout. wink

1. profile image0

really? hmm that is really interesting.

well i did some Google-ing...one way, according to an article about how to avoid purgatory, is to do this:

"Use holy water. Holy water is a sacramental that remits venial sin. Because of the blessing attached to it, Holy Church strongly encourages its use upon her children especially when danger threatens such as fire, storms, sickness and other calamities. Every Catholic home should have a supply of holy water. Keep your soul beautifully pure in God’s sight by making the Sign of the Cross carefully while saying: “By this holy water and by Thy Precious Blood, wash away all my sins and the sins of the Poor Souls in Purgatory, O Lord."

if this doesn't sound like insanity i don't know what does. seriously. if the person doing this replaced the word "Lord" with, say, "Snoopy", he would not be considered religious but completely off his rocker.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
          Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Huge court case. The church said they had no records (like the inquisition had no records) and if any one keeps records - it is they.

LOL - Like the sales pitch. Put me down for two quarts of holy water delivered to my doorstep and lock up the guy who believes that.

1. profile image0

hee hee...how does one go about ordering Holy Water anyway? is there like an Overstock.com of holy water? and how do they know it is really holy? i can't believe the church would bottle that and sell it.

oh boy...

p.s. yeah that is strange that there are 'no records' to be found. yikes

2. TheGlassSpider profile image64
      TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was under the impression that the Catholic church had recanted its views regarding the existence of Purgatory?? Perhaps someone else knows more about this.

28. profile image0
    SirDentposted 14 years ago

"Tick Tock"

29. profile image0
    WizardOfOzposted 14 years ago

no birth control, no divorce and a head full of bs, its no wonder the faithful (those who believe THE WHOLE BIBLE cough deb) are praying so much.  I'd be praying not to shoot myself if my head was full of religion.  I am grateful for my father suffering boarding school so I wasn't brought up on this vile holy water.

30. profile image0

ooh ah.  Intellectual goes AWOL LOL!  I love the charades people play.

31. profile image0

fleeting of course wink

32. profile image0

If there is a god and I was created in his image then he won't mind me screwin up so much because look at his creation smile

1. tantrum profile image59

lol lol lol lol lol

33. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 14 years ago

can light separate itself from itself? no.
    can an atomic particle? no.
    can a human separate themselves from their words, thoughts, actions ? no.

so, neither does Elohim.
    He is Light, the Word.
    His word went out, manifest to accomplish what He desired and returns to Him as Testimony of His Spirit.

He is not divided, He is One.

There are many many people and things that have come forth because of light. All these are optic perspectives. All unique, but all from the same Creator.

So now, let's close the books and ask the One who is Light. Let that Light shine, so when they see your goods works, glorify your Abba.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)