Why did you leave HP?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (165 posts)
  1. Ericdierker profile image44
    Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

I reckon this to take a month or so. Folk who left did not just pack up. They keep a finger in all pots.

But they do not still focus here. Can we learn? Can we learn without attacking me? Probably not. but let us try. I have hundreds of followers let us see what they say without attacking me.

I love writers.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
      MelissaBarrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

We all have hundreds of followers.

I'm curious, you placed a question about why someone left HP on the HP forums?

And you have a degree in Philosophy?

1. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I guess it's meant for people who only sporadically log in to HP anymore, so that's why it will take a month.  Unfortunately, Eric, unless you plan to bump this thread every day it will become buried under all the new topics. I don't think the sporadic users will ever see it.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59

Eric? Bump one of his own threads just so it stays on the front page where people can see it?

That would be outside of his character.

1. PCGaminghub profile image64
            PCGaminghubposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Off-Topic: I am rather partial to Jam on plain white bread. Not toasted.

1. PCGaminghub profile image64
              PCGaminghubposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Didn't mean to quote, awfully sorry.

2. Writer Fox profile image31
            Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Peace on earth.  Good will toward men (and women).

Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am just blown away by the attention of those who have not left HP. I do not get it. Let this get legs and see what our once a week drop bye's say.
              Bill Holland and I publish here 5 days a week. But most of our friends now post elsewhere regularly.
              Life is good and writing for a living has never been better. But why do people go elsewhere.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
                Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Really?  Why do you say that?   I'd say writing for a living is much, much worse than it was in 2010. 

At the beginning of 2011 I was predicting an income of around $20,000 from my blogs and from HubPages, even if I sat back and didn't write another word.   

My income for 2013 will probably be less than $9,000.  Admittedly I've added very little new material this year as I've been working on other projects - but for me, the whole idea of writing online was to earn passive income.   I came to the conclusion earlier this year that the game had changed, which is why I changed direction. 

As to why I'm still here - I like the community here, and I am conscious that I received a huge amount of help from other Hubbers when I started, so it's only fair for me to pay it forward.

What a great comment friend.
                  Well I started writing on line for money in 1998 and it was a brutal world ;-) I have no doubt that if you worked at making money on line that you could beat your best year every year. You are a talent.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

Eric, I spent 2011 and 2012 working to recover from the loss of traffic and income, but in spite of all my efforts, I watched my earnings go backwards.  There comes a time when you have to accept you can't keep flogging a dead horse.

I know many people who have given up blogging and writing online because they've had the same experience.  These were good writers with more technical expertise than me.  Most of them are still working in the online space - but they're selling their services to other bloggers and writers, not writing themselves.  As they say, at the end of a gold rush, you'll make more money selling shovels than panning for gold yourself.

2. wordscribe43 profile image90
                  wordscribe43posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yep- what Marisa says.

3. lovebuglena profile image85
                  lovebuglenaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Many can only wish their income was anywhere near $9000 a year from writing online. To me that is not a bad number at all to reach.

1. WriteAngled profile image74
                    WriteAngledposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well, as income from a part-time hobby, that would be fine. However, it is not a very motivating sum if someone is trying to make a living from this. That sort of money would keep me going for about 2 months at best.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

As WriteAngled says, if I was writing for fun and the money was a bonus, no doubt I'd be ecstatic.  However, my goal was to create a real income from this, and $9,000 is a poor return compared to other options.

People (and I've been one of them) can get so focussed on writing online, they become oblivious to all the other opportunities around them. 

It takes effort to venture into real freelance writing. It takes effort to go to yard sales and thrift shops to find products to sell on eBay.  It takes effort to find casual work.  It's much easier to get up in the morning, sit down at the PC and just keep writing.

But the fact is, I can make more money from one day of mystery shopping than from a whole week of online writing.  If I spend a morning looking for eBay products, I can make more money than from a whole week of online writing.  I have a casual job at a dancewear shop (filling in on odd days for the owner), which pays me more in one day than a whole week of online writing.   

I don't write freelance, but every Hubber I know who's given it a serious go, is making more money from freelance gigs than from their own HP account or blogs.

I'm not addicted to writing, so if I can work 3 days instead of 21 days for the same money, that's what I'm going to do.  The effort to search for alternative sources of income really pays off.

3. profile image0

lol, Melissa, looks like I have to eat my words!

2. Ericdierker profile image44

From what I am seeing people really do not leave HP. They simply go elsewhere with their time to make money, but still like coming back here to visit me --- ooops I mean HP. I think that is very cool indeed.

1. profile image0

HP should give you a share of the forum ad impressions, you certainly know how to draw them in.  Who knows, maybe HP already has secret deals with the more notorious posters.  Those toenail fungus ads aren't going to look at themselves.

That just reminds me of the ugly protuberance on my face. People notice it but nobody talks about it. My elder children love me but will not let me take my shirt off at the beach.
            I hope nobody left HP because they did not feel comfy enough to speak their mind or take off their shirt.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image59

For every time I'm reported I get 10 cents off per gallon of gas at Exxon. Every time I'm banned it's a dollar off per gallon.

2. Sherry Hewins profile image92
      Sherry Hewinsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I pretty much stopped writing on HP about this time last year when my numbers surged, then crashed and stayed near 0 for months.

I put some lenses up at Squidoo, that got me some praise, but very little money. I've also been posting at Bubblews for a couple of months.

I check on on HP once in a while, and the past couple of months I am seeing better traffic than I've ever had before. I even wrote a couple of new hubs.

I never left HP, I just lost my enthusiasm I suppose.

3. Dale Hyde profile image81
      Dale Hydeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have never "left" HP.  What I have done is stop publishing on HP due to the problems that have been rehashed numerous times here in the forums and in blog posts around the web.  My writing efforts are now focused on where I can make money.   I make a few cents here on HP a day, down from over 100.00 a month at one point.  Not much compared to others, but it did help out.  I used to have a payout every month, but now it takes three to four months.

Granted I have about half of what I used to have here, but it is not my doing.  HP unfeatured half of my material and I simply unpublished and deleted the material and republished it elsewhere where it makes money.

I still do pop in to read Hubs and to check out the forums from time to time. smile  Also, I look for the next unfeatured hub or hub with no views to move to my blog.

4. profile image0
      Grey Templesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

lol Well, I certainly will not attack you.  I was here then I left and now I'm back out of curiosity; however, curiosity did kill the cat.  I see that HP has not changed and I am rather surprised there are no new questions being asked.  Political and rudeness does not a nice writer make.  This is certainly not the place to 'take it out on others' as I have found here on HP.  However, I thought I would try one more time.

1. Will Apse profile image89
        Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Given the brutes that are rumored to hang out in these forums, I am afraid to tarry myself.

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
          paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You poor thing...

2. profile image0
          Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ill protect you.

Thanks, Beth. I'm guessing you ate lots of carrots as a kid and can see in the dark.

My only superpower is grouchiness.

1. profile image0

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8566188_f248.jpg
              That's the way I like you.

You know it is uncanny but that is exactly how I imagine PDS to be. lol.

I am a bit more sort of rugged.

1. profile image0

Of course. I could tell that immediately.

Yeah, I am sort of rugged and PDS is more sort of rug.

5. Pamela N Red profile image83
      Pamela N Redposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I haven't left but working on other venues and types of writing.

The times they are a changing and we must change along with them or we rust and become unmovable.

Many I know have tried their hand at Kindle books. You don't have to have hundreds of words to publish there, in fact you can even sell an article much like you do here or similar sites. Just an FYI for those that don't know.

Just keep writing, editing and improving and you can't go wrong.

1. Jason Marovich profile image88
        Jason Marovichposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Writing articles on HubPages (and to a lesser degree, other content sites) got me excited about writing again.  I don't think you can put a price tag on that.

The last line in Pamela's post is sage advice.  If we're not writing somewhere, our skills are withering away.

I've got a little break coming up; I think I'll put together a new hub fiction story soon.  It's been awhile.

6. Rock_nj profile image90
      Rock_njposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Writers have been leaving HubPages for many reasons.  Check out this Hub for the stats on just how many are leaving HP every day:  http://goody5.hubpages.com/hub/Google-vs-the-Hub-Pages It's not a pretty picture. 

There was a time not long ago when things got very onerous around here, with all sorts of rule changes and Hub idling (unFeaturing) because of a variety of shifting reasons.  That seemed to be the last straw for many writer around here, as the exodus really picked up steam after HP started idling Hubs and causing indexing problems with Google.  Then, there are places like Bubblews that have sprung up that pay better than HP.  Good old competition at work!

Personally, I am pretty happy with HP lately, as the idling (unFeaturing) is not nearly as onerous as it once was and I like their new Hub templates a lot.  It's a great writing platform in my opinion.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 10 years ago

Phew.  I was lucky to see this.  Having left HP I was just out there on the net when someone I knew said "Have you seen Eric's post?"

"What post?" I said curiously.

"He has posted on HP about people leaving" said my friend.

"Oh" I said merrily.

"Why don't you go and check it out" they said.

"I can't be assed without a link" I replied cautiously.

To cut a long story short they sent me the link and I was surprised to find myself here again after all this time.

I mailed my friend back.  "It's a crap post" I said intriguingly.

"Why don't you reply?" said my friend supportively.

"Because I should be buying Xmas presents" I said festively.

"What about Eric?" they said questionably.

"I'll get back to him" I said, lyingly.

Marvelous. How fun Mark. You bring good cheer. You just sent me a present so mark that off your list ;-)

2. MelissaBarrett profile image59

OK, screw it. I love you Mark. Have little stick-figure babies with me.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ah - thanks!

edit.  Most inadequate comment ever.  I was nonplussed.

3. profile image0

I thought it was "arsed". Are you pretending to be English?

Hey I am American now.  That's where the dollars are.

1. profile image0

You've got a lot of new phrases to learn.
          Here's your first one: "S'up?"
          You'll get the hang of it soon.

Dear lady - I have it down and dirty on my ass these days. Oh yep.

1. profile image0

Is that an American saying? Im not sure on what occasion one would use that phrase, but I will look into it... or possibly try and forget I ever saw it.

3. ChristinS profile image40
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

I think for obvious reasons probably - they are going where they feel they can earn more money, or they may be the ones who were penalized by the new formats and such introduced here who felt stifled creatively by the new rules.

I publish a lot of stuff elsewhere, but I always have.  Diversity helps increase earnings in my case.  I also spend the bulk of my time now writing for other people, because it seems residual income is way down the past couple of years.

I like the community here though so even during times I don't publish, I still come around and check out what's happening pretty much every day.

thank you Christin, that sounds very right to me. Balance is beautiful.

2. profile image0
      Grey Templesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

thankfully, I was never penalized, actually the opposite.  I'll stick around and see what happens.

4. The Examiner-1 profile image59
    The Examiner-1posted 10 years ago

Beth37,
    Lo and behold, I thought that you were taking a rest for a while. The last I heard you were asking about closing your account temporarily.
    Kevin

1. profile image0

I did ask if an account could be closed temporarily, the answer was no.
      I did take a little break... though it really wasn't meant to be an announcement.
      Ppl were very kind, and  I just caught my breath for about 2 days.
      It really wasn't a big deal. Thanks for asking.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image59
        The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Beth
        Oh. There have been many others gone longer and there was no problem.
        Kevin

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
        Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years agoin reply to this

We took a vote, Beth, and you can't leave.  You get extra vacation days as needed, though. 

Glad to see you here - I was worried.

1. profile image0

Some of you hubbers are so sweet it just makes coming here a joy. Thank you. smile

2. gmwilliams profile image84
          gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Beth37 will NOT leave. HP. WE love HER and SHALL NEVER permit her to leave HP.......... EVER!  Beth37 is such a sweet person and a COMPLETE JOY to be around..
          http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8479673_f248.jpg

1. profile image0

First, I want to thank you for those kind words, second, I want to thank you for using an image from Horror Hotel... I believe a woman was burned at the stake in that movie... I'm hoping she doesn't represent me. smile

1. gmwilliams profile image84

Not at all,  WE just love you Beth 37.  I used this picture as a representation of the people who love you.   I just love horror movies.  In fact, I am an aficinado of the horror genre whether in books or movies.  Off to my 383rd hub.

1. profile image0

Wow! So many hubs! Hope you enjoy it. smile

Thank you.

5. aware profile image68
    awareposted 10 years ago

4 years im still  kinda here . i had over 70 poems and short story's  on this site..the reasons why i took most down and dont write  here anymore   except in  forums. are many.  this is a content farm as far as to the kinda stuff i write. original works are fodder for plagiarists in this venue.unfair editing  enraged me. misspelling is  part of what i do. its art. creative spelling.but the last straw was  when  a first person fictional  story i  put up   called dog fight was pulled down for no other reason than subject matter, and  a poem called oscillating fan. that i re posted the exact poem that was flagged. but added directions on how to clean one. and changed the title to " how to clean a oscillating fan" and   it was acceptable  to hub pages. im not a god dang "how to" hubber .  but was  basically strong armed into  becoming one. this aint a creative writing site. when i signed up to it it billed itself as being one they lied .

Oh boy - do I hear what you are saying.  Trouble is the world on search wants "How tos".  Selling creativity is a whole bunch of hard.

6. aware profile image68
    awareposted 10 years ago

stick figures ? go figure.

You might be surprised how much money there is in stick figures.

Slightly above zero dollars per month.

Sounds just like my "take home" after my wife meets me outside the door.

2. profile image0

lol

3. Pamela N Red profile image83
        Pamela N Redposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Anything is better than nothing in my books.

7. aware profile image68
    awareposted 10 years ago

anyway .. hi mark, eric.

8. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

Not leaving.

Just wanted to rant about my weekend hub traffic.

Rant.

Rant.

Rant.

Rant concluded.

Would you please stop ranting.

Oh, all right. big_smile

9. Abbyfitz profile image73
    Abbyfitzposted 10 years ago

I haven't written anything here since April I think. I went over to wizzley to diversify and found I like it better over there. I still visit HB everyday, but I won't be writing much here.

What kind of articles do best over there? smile

1. Abbyfitz profile image73
        Abbyfitzposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow. It's hard to say. History, general information, a whole host of topics really . It's really more than the how to articles that are popular here. I like it there because I can write about whatever strikes my fancy, plus I get more traffic over there so that's a plus lol.

Thanks. I signed up with them many moons ago. But never did follow through with an article there. Next non how-to article I think of...

2. Ericdierker profile image44

sorry for getting silly but; Are you happier over there?

10. Abbyfitz profile image73
    Abbyfitzposted 10 years ago

Go for it. I feel more creative and appreciated there lol

11. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 10 years ago

I still find that Hubpages is the best when you average out all the pros and cons of other writing sites, payment structures and promotion.

I write on Bubblews, Wizzley and my own sites but Hubpages feels like home.

+1000

Of course, +1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

2. Solaras profile image96
      Solarasposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wrylilt - Why did you decide to give Bubblews another try?

1. WryLilt profile image87
        WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I needed some extra Christmas money. Just received my third redemption, ready to claim my fourth. I'm also writing a how-to guide on my formula.

1. GA Anderson profile image88
          GA Andersonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oh No! Another Bubblews how-to?

hmmm...
          write post
          view new post submits
          Like new posts
          *comment if appropriate
          connect with as many like-minds as you can
          write post
          go through notifications

repeat...repeat...repeat...

redeem every 2 - 3 days

sound about right?

I guess that could be padded out to a complete how-to tutorial...

Unless of course you are redeeming every 36 - 48 hours, then you either have a good system, or you are on Bubblews 12 hours a day!

GA

1. WryLilt profile image87

I have redeemed 3 times in the last ten days, if that counts.

And I managed to write 2,500 words on hubbing, so I'm sure I can write half that on Bubbling.

1. Solaras profile image96

That's great - how much time are you spending on your connections?

2. GA Anderson profile image88
              GA Andersonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

hmmm.. 3 times/ten days.... sounds about right

as for the tutorial length - of course you can. my little blurb was just a skeleton... LOL

And, I will be sure to check it out, as I did habee's advice, (Southernteacher), because I found that to redeem every 3 days, (which I was doing), was requiring wayyyyyy too many hours of constant bubblews activity.

I am sure you experienced the same, but logging on to 2000+ notifications, plus writing good - not stupid "good night or good morning Bubblers" - posts, AND repaying visitor's visits - is a lot more than an hour or two a-day task.

GA

1. Dale Hyde profile image81

You are correct in the amount of time to redeem every three days or three times a week.  One does have to interact with the community pretty radically to keep that up.  I was able to do that prior to my recent move, but now that I am closer to work, I spend more time there as it is just a short walk away, and that leaves less time to spend interacting with the community there.

Still, my return there has been about $700.00 since joining on July 22nd. smile

2. WryLilt profile image87

I rarely log on to more than 100 notifications. And I'm working on bringing in good SEO and MFP content. I don't plan to put that many hours in!

1. PoeticPhilosophy profile image77
                  PoeticPhilosophyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

WryLilt you should give me some SEO tips.

2. Solaras profile image96

Brilliant - I look forward to your formula.  Keep in mind that Bubblews seems to lose posts from your archive while the still exist in on Google.  DrMark1961 kindly checked this for me.  I don't know how that affects earnings and they, the powers that be, aren't telling.

All of your archived posts are still there.  There is a glitch when you hit "archives", however if you use the arrows on your profile, you can "walk" back and find all your articles in the reverse order of publication.  This is why Google can still "see" them.

3. Will Apse profile image89

I had a good poke around the site and people who get strong traffic from outside the site seem the most likely to go unpaid.

Perhaps they are just sticking to the task of faking a social site and people who can get traffic are just not welcome.

Who knows? They probably won't tell you.

In fact, they are probably shocked to get people who use English as a first language and ask a lot of fool questions.

Go ahead and hate your neighbor and go ahead and kill the friend, do it in the name of heaven you can justify it
                    in the end.

That danged morning after.
                    You chose.

2. Dale Hyde profile image81

I reckon your poke did not include me who gets quite a bit of outside traffic and have right at 28 paid redemptions for a total of quite a bit of coins, lol.

12. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 10 years ago

I'm still around, just busy on another site, mostly.

1. mary615 profile image83
      mary615posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hey, habee,you still have a Hubscore of 100.  Mine has dropped since I don't spend much time here anymore.   I see you around on "that other site", which I don't dare mention cause I don't want to start a big to-do!!

13. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 10 years ago

HOW THE BUBBLERS SQUEAL

They pay

They don't pay

They pay

They don't pay

You broke the rules

No, I didn't

You broke the rules

No, I didn't

(Chorus)

Some of them are dribblers

Some of them oozers

And one are two

Are likely lads

Who make several bucks a day...

Splendid!

Did you have a bad experience there or what?  Or do you just bash to bash?

1. Sherry Hewins profile image92
        Sherry Hewinsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

He's so rich from his hubs he doesn't need to bother to try it.

Ahhh... I am but a poor Hubber, so I have to try it, and have done well, by the way, lol. smile

2. Will Apse profile image89

I am creative poet and deeply hurt that you are not enjoying my pom.

Well the poemage was good, if that is a word, lol. smile  But it "felt" like it was an attack on simple peasants such as me that go out and roam the web to make a few extra dollars so that when a friend in need approaches me I have a few extra bucks to help them out.

2. profile image0

If you wrote two of them, you'd be a cheerleader.

You too, I think, are not liking my pom!

What is this joke 'cheerleader'?

1. profile image0

what do cheerleaders call pom poms there?
              http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8570008_f248.jpg

Tickle sticks.

1. profile image0

lol. You wish they called them that.

14. Will Apse profile image89

If you get caught with one of those in one of the more conservative areas of the country, it is a week in the stocks.

1. profile image0

and that's where the tickling begins?

Funny, I used a joke just like that in my book... only instead of the stocks, I said "burned at the stake"... I thought you got it from me at first, but I remembered it comes much later

lol. And many other cruelties.

They are forced to wear bobble hats, for one thing.

edit: ??? Stake or steak?

1. profile image0

I don't think we have a name for those hats. We just call them hats... maybe "the hat with the ball on it" to clarify, but most of them have balls on top. Im starting to see why "bobble hat" might be preferable.

2. profile image0

stake.... it's not steak is it? I have to google.

It is stake... how dare you. You made me question my own good sense.

15. Will Apse profile image89

Just as an aside, an industrious Bubbler could earn the booble hat below in a mere 20 days.

http://images.asos-media.com/inv/media/5/6/0/7/3437065/multi/image1xl.jpg

88 quid.

hxxp://www.asos.com/search/bobble-hat?q=bobble+hat&r=2

1. profile image0

lol... like a dog with a bone.

I always know when you're looking for a pic.
      It's either that or you've gone off to read something. You have a great patience for reading a lot of crap. Thanks btw for reading mine. lol

Enjoyed it. There is something worthwhile in there. Just needs more work (not that much really).

Same old story...

1. profile image0

I told myself at work the other day that it was a mistake to let you read it. I realized that even if you said good things about it, I would just think you were just being nice. lol
          I still appreciated it. Im glad you mentioned adding detail. I hate details and will subconsciously block them out all the time, even skipping over headlines just to read a story. Probably the opposite of you.

You cannot write about events in a vacuum. But obviously the reader does not want to wade through pointless details. A thousand word description of the day's cloud formations is de rigueur  in Eng Lit but in Chick Lit, not so much.

Let Jane Austen be your model.

1. profile image0

I remember when I read Gone with the Wind... she went on and on about the trees on the side of the drive to the house for what felt like 3 pages.

Yes, it is cruel forcing words into someone's eye like that.

edit: I think this thread has had the trampling it deserves so I better do some work, See you later.

p.s. If you see any Bubbler nonsense, take names.

1. profile image0

night smile

16. profile image0
    Gypsy Rose Leeposted 10 years ago

I'm still here on my first home and the place where I first spread my wings and made friends. However I post less than I did and can get back on here less. This is because I am financially strapped and have had to find other sources for money. So now I have my freelance writing and other sites to which I post my poetry like my blogs. But I always enjoy coming back here to see what's happening and as long as there will be those who read what I post I will stay here.

17. profile image0
    VCexpertposted 10 years ago

HI

I am here to generate links to my website not to earn money.  But if google doesn't rank hubpages like it used to is there any point.  And should I register for the earnings programme anyway?

1. The Examiner-1 profile image59

If you are getting enough traffic, you might as well.

If you are here to create web-spam you might like to keep it quiet.

3. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

No, there isn't much point.

Google will not increase the SERP standings of your other sites much in response to the backlinks from HP, and HP requires a well written article, taking some real time to produce, rather than a 50 word blog entry.

Best find another place to do your SEO.

1. profile image0
        VCexpertposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think my articles are informative and useful and over 700 words, but thanks for the reply

4. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The homepage of HubPages has a Google PageRank of 6, so it is highly valued by Google and Google sends a ton of traffic to this site every day.

The way it is on HubPages is that your Hubber Score has to be at least 85 for your links to be followed links.  Right now, your links from your Hubs are NoFollow. 

Also, if you publish more high quality Hubs and your score rises above 85, the value of your link is determined as a trickle-down from the Google PageRank of each individual Hub.  Right now, your Hubs don't have good PageRank.  So, you have a long way to go to make a link from HP of any value as a backlink.  Even when your links are followed and your Hubs develop a healthy PageRank, all of the links will be from a single domain.  It's still good to have a followed backlink from HubPages.com and many writers here link to their own blogs and websites for that reason.  But, a link from HP should just be one of many links you develop over time.

What is the source for the 85 hubber score requirement???

It will be interesting to see who is daft enough to give you an answer.

1. profile image0

So glad I held my tongue.

Cool --- like a real conspiracy theory. That is so cool.

Give it a go.

I need entertaining tonight. Every time I sneeze, my chair spins round with the force of it and the air is full of green stuff.

It's like 'The Exorcist' .

1. profile image0

That's lovely.

Of course I have no idea. I was finally given the semi-coveted 85 a few days ago, and then I made the mistake of sleeping, only to wake and see I'd been reduced to my former 84, The only conclusion I have drawn is that one should never sleep.

lol. Yeah, that is about the size of it.

I think you guys are silly. Clearly it is a wizard of OZ type deal with some Orwellian stuff thrown in. Mind control via hubber score.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image59

How about staying signed in and watching HP with one eye while we sleep with the other, taking turns with the eyes. big_smile

1. profile image0

If you shut that other eye... if you even blink... your score will drop faster than a cheerleaders bloomers on prom night. (Don't throw things at me, it was the first joke that popped into my head.)

2. wilderness profile image94

Several people have:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/118130

I'm sure as well that HP has verified this, although I can't find the forum post that does.  And I could be wrong anyway.

I have a feeling that it is a much bigger tangle than you imagine, lol.

1. wilderness profile image94

Well, unless my senile memory is failing me, it seemed simple at the time.  HP came in and made it plain that the requirement had gone from a hubber score of 75 to one of 85 for any do follow, and that it was still coupled to individual hub scores for individual hubs.

Here you are, it is your baby now:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/118900

1. bipolartist profile image77
                    bipolartistposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Bull pucky. I will be using that phrase three times today.

2. wilderness profile image94

I could be wrong, but I don't think that "promote" your hub has anything to do with it having do follow links.  Nor did the poster seem to think there was a connection, though I could be wrong.

3. wilderness profile image94

No, but it did come up in another thread.

http://hubpages.com/faq/#linksnofollow

5. Marisa Wright profile image86

Definitely register for the earnings program anyway.  Why wouldn't you?  Your Hubs will be earning income, you might as well have some of it!

As WF says, if you're aim is to generate backlinks to impress Google, there's not much point in creating multiple Hubs.  Google counts only the first one or two links from any single domain.

However, don't forget that real readers will also follow links in your Hubs!  I do get traffic from links in my articles on revenue-sharing sites like HubPages, Infobarrel etc, and the fact that I'm on all those sites (using the same name) helps raise my profile as a writer.

18. bipolartist profile image77
    bipolartistposted 10 years ago

Methinks there should be a warning label for Noobs like myself who fall into the trap of answering someone like Eric. I fell into said trap on day 2. In retrospect, I feel foolish.

Perhaps I can throw it into my bio....

19. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

Did you leave HP?

Eat your heart out. https://www.quantcast.com/labs/real-tim … bpages.com 5.5K has been the "usual".

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)