What's you favorite dog breed?

Jump to Last Post 51-100 of 154 discussions (186 posts)
  1. tmom profile image60
    tmomposted 16 years ago

I personally love poodles - have two, one red and one white.  Cutest, little non shedding dogs ever. However, thinking back on it, I have owned several different breeds over the years, and at the time, thought that breed was absolutely the best.  Oh well, fickle me, love them all.

2. barranca profile image76
    barrancaposted 16 years ago

Last dog I owned was a Westie...cute and very stylish.  Often thought I wanted a Lab until I "met" a Gordon Setter recently.  It seemed to be a great dog.  Anyone out there with any experience with gordon setters?

3. Rob Jundt profile image80
    Rob Jundtposted 16 years ago

The best dog I ever had was an Australian Sheepdog or Sheltie. They are well-mannered, small enough to live indoors, and rarely shed. Their only downfall is their bark, but you can have them "fixed" in that way if you desire. Shelties are natural herders and the way "Adam" pushed all the little rugrats my mother babysat into corners was truly hysterical. BTW, they're great with kids.

4. Dorsi profile image88
    Dorsiposted 16 years ago

Definitely my Border Collies. In fact, I just wrote a hub about one of them! They are so smart and act on the level of a small child. They are very high energy level though so you need to keep them busy!

5. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 16 years ago

Definitely agree to disagree. I'm not saying they're all like this, but many and most. So you really can't say that it's just me or the several people I've asked or come across with the same opinions.  Amy even had the same comment about her lab. Yes, she loves her lab, but said it took about 5 years to calm down...

Other dog breeds are fantastic service dogs. I've seen great danes, german shepherd, APBTS, mix breeds, etc. Labs aren't the best dogs all around, they definitely have their problems.

I hate that most people see the "that's why they are good service dogs" as a "that means they're one of the best breeds" as equivalent statements. I'm not saying that you're saying this, but many do. And it's ridiculous because so many other dog breeds make great service dogs and are better choices in some situations.

Also, you never once commented on the 10+ year dog trainer with her well bred, well trained, champion labs and their misbehaviors... I really would be interested to hear your opinion on that situation.

1. Marco_Man profile image58
      Marco_Manposted 16 years agoin reply to this

10+ year dog trainer,

I don't really have an opinion, there are too many variables there. I don't like to judge an individual without knowing more about the enviroment, the dogs, and so on. I'm pretty sure that this trainer is very reputable, great individual, and shows extreme professionalism.  Now I may be wrong, but, training many dogs at time is probably not as good as one on one.

My experiences with labs and training is one on one. I'm not a professional dog trainer by any means, I feel as though I would make a great dog trainer, and many people have told me this. People have said to me that animals in general bond with myself in a very unique way. Its hard for me to explain but I like to get to know the character of each dog first, and go on from there.

6. Whitney05 profile image82

Marco,
    I don't mean for you to judge her. But more or less the dogs. I just would like your opinin as to why her well trained labs tear up the yard and misbehave. You said well trained dogs don't do that. She spend quality time with each dog, and training sessions are not all at once with all 10 dogs. She takes time with each dog individually to train them. She's a stay at home mom that works a few hours away from the house maybe 4 days a week. Granted they are well behaved when on que, but in a relaxed environment, they CAN be (not all the times) just plain bad. Most are under the age of 5. Three of them, the better behaved are 7 and older.

Training dogs is a passion, and it really brings you closer to the dogs and people. I really love what I do, when I am able to do it. I love helping people. It's all for the dogs. If a dog misbehaves in a home, you have to solve the problem or the dog is more than likely going to a shelter. It's not all about training sit, down, stay, etc. You have to deduce problems and behaviors of the dog sometimes in order to save the dog's life (sounds dramatic but it's true). "Why did the dog snap at the child?" "Why did the dog chase after the family cat, as he's never done it before?" Etc.  It really is a thrill but can be a energy drainer. If you choose to be a dog trainer, go for it, as there are never enough dog trainers for all the dogs in homes.

Training is the key to keeping a well-behaved dog, but depending on the dog and breed, there are always problems even with well-trained dogs.

7. alexadry profile image95
    alexadryposted 16 years ago

I love Siberian husky's. How can you not fall in love with their blue eyes! however now that I own two Rottie pups I surely converted to this breed!

8. profile image0
    luvnlyfposted 16 years ago

We've had German Sheps and I loved how smart they were but my last dog was a Rottie and I fell in love with the breed--miss him heaps!

9. TinkerDoodle profile image56
    TinkerDoodleposted 16 years ago

I have 2 black AKC lab females, 2 APRI Standard Poodle males (one apricot, one chocolate) and a black f1 labradoodle female which is shown as a 5 month old pup in my avatar. Both of my lab females are expecting f1 Labradoodle pups in the near future, so if anyone wants to know about this hybrid mix, feel free to ask. I used to breed rotties and GSDs, but have fallen in love with Labradoodles. I read the posts on this thread about Labradoodles so invite anyone who has questions or worse yet, MISconceptions to check out my personal blog at www.tinkerdoodle.net to learn more.

10. Whitney05 profile image82

TinkerDoodle very interesting blog. Definitely. I still think that they're mix-breed dogs. There are very few people that actually have litters with similar characteristics, and none of those people are in the U.S. You can't really call them breeds because there's no true standard and no registry will register them. That's really the only thing I was saying in that comment. Not that they're not good dogs or whatever. They're just not breeds, they're mixes. And it seems you call them hybrid mixes too.

The one thing I don't understand is why you remove the dew claws. Many breeders do that. But I have 4 dog with and 1 dogs without them, and I've never had or heard of a dog getting them ripped on something. I think that removing them is a purely aesthetic feature. I'd love to see statistics about dogs getting injured from ripping off their dew claw. Oh, and the 4 with theirs 2 are mixes and 2 are purbred, but all 4 are medium to big dogs.

11. TinkerDoodle profile image56

Whitney, you're right in saying they're a mix... an intentional mix, but a mix. Having been a breeder of purebreds in the past, I know all too well the genetic defects that many
    "breeds" are perpetuating. Sad to say, there are a lot of unethical breeders who simply don't care... if the dog has papers they figure it should be bred. Because of this, we're seeing pugs that can't breath; Dalmations that are deaf; Labs, shepherds, and rotties with hip dysplacia; doxies with crippling back problems; Poodles with renal diseases or that go blind at a very young age; etc. My personal goal with hybrids is to develop dogs that aren't plagued by genetic defects.

Most genetic issues require that both parents have the defective gene to pass it on. If you test for these problems, you can eliminate those who have the problem, but you still don't catch the ones that are simply carriers of them but are unaffected themselves. So if poodles can carry renal disease that labs don't, you know that should your poodle test clean but be a carrier the lab not being able to carry that gene guarantees that problem will not crop up in their hybrid pups.

I focus on health and temperament first... uniformity of looks will come later. In my mind, if you don't have health and good temperament, looks don't matter. Since people are using all 3 sizes of poodle in these hybrids, even size can be very different. I breed standard poodles with my labs because I don't want the pups to suffer structural problems due to there being a large difference in the size of their parents. I only use labs and poodles that fit their purebred standards... so I can tell people certain things in their appearance will be true. I don't breed dogs with curled tails, spots of white, poor jaw alignment, etc.

In Australia, Labradoodles are now an accepted breed. They've infused up to 6 different breeds into the making of theirs and have been doing this since 1989, so they're very different from what us US breeders are doing. I belong to a couple of Labradoodle breeders groups in an effort to learn all that I can so I can do this responsibly. I know some are strongly opposed, and that's fine... we're all entitled to our opinions. I also know many are very enthusiastic about these hybrids and own them with great pride.

I have a contract that all of my buyers sign that states that their pups will be spayed/neutered by 7 months of age. If they should EVER in the lifetime of the dog have to give it up I get it back so I know my pups aren't filling shelters or being passed from home to home thoughtlessly. I offer health guarantees, lifetime support should they have ANY problem with the dog, and I have a list of 23 buyers currently waiting for my next 2 litters to be born.

My pups are family raised, born in my kitchen and handled with love from day one. The proof of their breeding and early care can be seen on my website in the comments from past buyers. I don't tell anyone anything that isn't true about my pups. My buyers know exactly what they're getting and so far have been very satisfied with their pups.

When people end up with happy, healthy, loving pets that they keep for their lifetime and are so satisfied that they send their friends and family members to me when they want a similar dog,  I have a hard time finding the problem in this scenario. Unless they want to show dogs, registration papers are of little value to most. Those people would not be interested in my pups. I don't even register with the hybrid clubs that mine would qualify for... I see no point and have no interest in trying to mislead people by offering them as "registered" dogs.

I also charge considerably less than most Labradoodle breeders I know. I see no reason to charge more for them than I paid for their purebred parents. Yes, I believe they are wonderful pets, but if they're too expensive to be bought by good families, there's no point in breeding them.

Labradoodles are my passion. I love introducing people to them and spending my days playing with puppies. They're not for everyone, but for those of us who love them, they are a wonderful alternative to the usual fare.

Sorry for the novel, I just love any opportunity to share what I know to be true about these unique dogs.

12. Whitney05 profile image82

That's great you breed your dogs responsibly. But I'm still curious about the dew claw concern that I posed? I don't see any logical reason to remove it. There are millions of dogs with their dew claws and have no problems. I find that the excuse is like people claiming that cropping ears is the best choice to prevent ear infection. It just seems like pain without probable cause. I'd love the statistics about how many dogs have injuries due to dew claws.

Also, most reputable breeders add in their contracts the spay/neuter clause, but not before 7 months. By spaying too early, you can stunt growth because you're removing hormones. Many breeders use either 12 months or after first heat, whichever comes first, to ensure that most of the growing has taken place. I'm curious as to why you chose 7 months versus 12 months. I've only ever heard the clause at 12 months, never earlier.

I never said that breeding hybrids can cause genetic effects. Inbreeding and overbreeding any dog can cause them, so I figured it wasn't really anything to touch. I just hate how people think their a breed, when they're not. Yes, in Australia, labradoodles are now a breed, but that's after years and years and years of breeding. They now have succesfully bred litters of pups that look alike. Versus American labradoodle breeders or just American people in general that think breeding an AKC lab with an AKC poodle will get you a labradoodle. In these cases, you get pups with traits of both, which is far from a uniform litter. I think that Americans have a very skewed view of dogs and breeding.

I do think that hybrid dogs are ridiculous, no offense. I find that it's rather stupid that people will pay $500 to over a thousand dollars for a dog they can find at a shelter or pound. It's like an oops litter that got a name and a high dollar.

I am willing to learn about this, even though I disagree with it because that's what makes a true dog lover, in my opinion. I am very interested in why you remove dew claws and why your clause is 7 months versus the typical 12 that I've always heard.

13. TinkerDoodle profile image56

Whitney, I'm glad you're at least asking questions and willing to think about this. I appreciate that. We can agree to disagree and still be friends.

I remove dew claws because I've seen dogs that got them ripped partially off when they got older and had major injuries as a result. They serve no real purpose for todays dogs... they used to need them to hold down their prey so they could kill or eat it... now that most get kibble it's not a necessity, but is a potential problem. When my pups have them removed at 3 days of age, they recover quickly and so far I haven't had any have complications from it. An older bigger dog that rips one off can have infections, can rip a lot of skin in the initial injury and then will often keep licking or chewing at the wound which just makes it worse.

It's not an absolute necessity... you're right. Most dogs will never have a problem if you leave them on. Yet it's worth it to me to pay a bit extra at their well puppy exam to have it done so it never becomes an issue for any of them. It would be cheaper for me to just let it go, but I feel it's safer for the pups to take care of it early. My vet charges a fee of $7.50 per pup to do it, so that adds up when I have litters of 12-13 pups all done at one time. It just feels like the responsible thing to do.

As to the spay/neuter timing, I'm finding a lot of breeders and even shelters that are doing this at 2 months which I just cringe thinking about. The reason I chose 7 months is that a male pup "can" become fertile by 8 months. A female pup "can" have her first heat at 6 months.

Granted, those are on the low end of the range, but it does happen. I don't want any of my pups to be accidentally adding to the pet overpopulation. I don't want my female pups to be having pups before they're a year old, and sadly it can and does happen. If a male is neutered before he's fertile, he usually never learns to lift his leg and mark car wheels. He doesn't get the high level of testosterone that makes him territorial or at all aggressive. He doesn't get a whiff of a neighborhood UNspayed female and try to wander off in search of some action.  I think it just makes them an all around easier and happier dog to have as a pet.

So far not one of my buyers has objected to the 7 month timing, and many tell me their vets say 6 months is the optimal time to have it done. I get and keep copies of the vet verification that the pups have been de-sexed so that if I ever get one of them back I will know that it's been done. Tying it into the health guarantee is just further incentive for the new owners to make sure they don't put it off too long.

14. Whitney05 profile image82

I'm willing to ask questions and learn, but I'm not sure if I'll change my mind on the situation. But, I do go into dogs with an open mind unless there's absolutely no reason to do something or more evidence towards one thing than another. Like my dislike for labs- yes there are many good labs, but I've just come across more well-trained bad labs and owners of labs that misbehave than well behaved 100% of the time labs. Same with the thought that they're puppies longer than most other breeds. Those are just things that I don't see myself having a change of thought on. But, otherwise, I do go into doggy matters with an open mind, again unless it's something stupid like you have to crop dog's ears to reduce ear infections- it's just not true.

I definitely agree to spaying and neutering, and definitely anythign to prevent pet over population, which is why I really don't agree with breeding. Granted I have purchased 2 dogs from breeders, but that was because 1) the yorkie was before my volunteer days and before I really knew anything about dogs and 2) the APBT was because I couldn't find a good rescue much less one that would approve us because we already had a female dog and we were looking for a female pup. But anway... I do think it's great that reputable breeders put this clause in their contracts, but I would rather my dog meet full potential in body mass, height, and growth. My vet alters dogs starting at 6 months, but I do think that with certain dogs and certain weights, 2 months isn't bad. Now, spaying a chihuahua at 2 months versus a great dane, is a different story.

I think that pet overpopulation is on the owner. My 9.5 month old APBT isn't spayed, as I'm waiting till shes 12 months. If the owner is responsible and watches a dog in heat it's highly likely that the dog won't get impregnanted unless you leave the dog outside all day and a male jumps in the yard. But, I wouldn't leave a dog in heat outside all day. Well, I wouldn't leave one not in heat outside all day.

I'm fully aware what they were used for, and that dog's don't really use them or need them anymore. That's not what I'm interested in. I'm interested in the statistics of injury caused by dewclaws. I just did a quick search and found that with "Regular trimming of the dew claw will lessen the chance of accidental injury." Most sites said that unless the dog's dewclaws stick far out, which is not too common, then there's no real need to remove it.

One site said that a veterinarian told him that he does not recommend removing the dewclaws for hunting dogs and dogs that are in and around marsh areas a lot because it will help with traction.

I couldn't find a statistics on number of injuries, but I didn't really search long or hard. I think that injuries do to dewclaws can be prevented if you trim it regularly. It makes since that if kept short, you'll reduce injury... Plus, I saw that the process is no sedation, which makes sense since the pupas are usually 2-5 days old, but it's just seems painful for an accident that can be prevented by trims and whatnot.

I saw where some dogs will get them snagged, but serious injuries aren't as common as light snags.

15. amimoore profile image60
    amimooreposted 16 years ago

The best thing about dogs is that there is a breed for everyone.
    Dogs come in every size, shape and color-they are the doughnuts of the animal world.
    My favorite breeds are the Chow and the German Short-Haired Pointer.

16. Maddie Ruud profile image73
    Maddie Ruudposted 16 years ago

I'm not the biggest fan of dog breeding.  There are so may absolutely wonderful doggies out there that don't have homes, and are less likely to be wanted, simply because they aren't "purebred."  Doesn't seem fair to me that a dog should have less of a chance for a good home and happy life for something that was beyond its control, like parentage, or that one dog should be considered "superior" to another based on the proportions of its body or texture of its fur.

Needless to say, both the family dog that lives with my parents and my own little bitch were adopted.  And both are mutts.

17. Cleanclover profile image42
    Cleancloverposted 16 years ago

Labradors are the best breeds. Very faithful and obedient.

18. Coffeemugged profile image59
    Coffeemuggedposted 16 years ago

I have a Golden Retriever. She is incredibly sweet and loving and affectionate and just wants to please. Golden Retrievers have wonderful personalities.

She is also a real handful and I am in the process of trying to train her so I am going to start posting on my hub every day and we'll see how I do. I'm hoping that you CAN teach an old dog new tricks. Well, she's two, not super old, but she's past the puppy stage.

1. Kika Rose profile image67
      Kika Roseposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I know a ton about training pups and older dogs. We used to breed cockers at my house, and I can tell you for a fact that training is not gonna be an easy feat with a 2 year old. Then again, golden retrievers are very intelligent and generally easier to train at almost any age, so you shouldn't have too hard a time with it. If you want any advice, let me know. :-D

19. stevemark122000 profile image61
    stevemark122000posted 16 years ago

Border Collie

20. Arf Scarfs profile image61
    Arf Scarfsposted 16 years ago

Collies

Great family dogs.

21. Lilymag profile image59
    Lilymagposted 16 years ago

Boxer, definitely the best!  Miss Lily Bug is wonderful with everyone, including our infant daughter.  She has been great with her from day one.  She can stick her hand right in her mouth and just sit there.  She is the most patient thing I have ever seen!

22. TravelMonkey profile image62
    TravelMonkeyposted 15 years ago

I have two Japanese akitas who I have had since puppies. they are simply adorable as puppies and have grown into strong beautiful dogs, they are obedient and are very playful and do the funniest things.

My reason why the Japanese akita is my favourite dog.

23. Trekkiemelissa profile image66
    Trekkiemelissaposted 15 years ago

Border Collie.  I have a border collie mix who is sweet as can be.    I like mixed breeds if I have a choice between a purebred and a mixed breed.

24. profile image57
    gypsy10posted 15 years ago

I have a rescued greyhound. They are 40 mph couch potatoes. He lies on a sofa most of the time and then plods along for a short walk three times a day. They make wonderful pets as they are gentle giants. If you are disable, like me or you are elderly and cannot walk too far they are idea.

25. allshookup profile image61
    allshookupposted 15 years ago

Our baby is a YokiePoo who lives in the house and we have 2 American Pits the other 3 are mixed, part birdogs, who are all outside dogs.

26. Marian Swift profile image60
    Marian Swiftposted 15 years ago

Mutts.  Big, goofy-smart mutts.

27. Kika Rose profile image67
    Kika Roseposted 15 years ago

I would kill for a border collie... But I have cocker spaniels right now. Maybe when I move out and get my own place and junk, I'll get me a collie. :-P

Anything bred with a poodle has got to be the goofiest looking thing in the world. While they're hypo-allergenic, they are not that pretty. Want a pretty dog? Go with the cocker. I'll give you one of mine. ;-D

28. profile image0
    JJoyposted 15 years ago

Chihuahuas all the way! I have 2 Chi's and I'm currently fostering a third.....I love Siberian Huskies as well and I'm hoping to get one soon along with a house and a big yard:-)

29. aimeeSF profile image66
    aimeeSFposted 15 years ago

ENGLISH BULLDOGS!!

They're so cute, bulky, and have an adorable smile.  Hahaha~

30. DawgDad profile image61
    DawgDadposted 15 years ago

Although I am a biased English Bulldog owner,  I have become a huge fan of Wheaten Terriers.  They are intelligent dogs and are real fun to be around.  The fact that they look like teddy bears doesn't hurt either!

31. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

Jack Russell Terriers!  Smart, pugnacious, cute as h*ll, and some even mountain climb.

32. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 15 years ago

Wire haired fox terriers. They're totally neurotic but soooo cute. Jack Russells are great, too -- Lita, I second your vote on that!

33. SpeckledJim profile image59
    SpeckledJimposted 15 years ago

Being a pigeon and all I don't particularly care for dogs, cats I absolutely loathe, however dogs are OK in my book.

If I had to say the best dog I found was probably a kind hearted Doberman who when I once let fly with a dirty bird egg form the sky he took it with great dignity when it splated on his face.

Poor chap.

34. Houellebecq profile image60
    Houellebecqposted 15 years ago

My boyfriend and I have two massive black Labrador retrievers between us. You can take them anywhere to do anything because they never run out of energy and they're super loyal.
    I also found that they tend to learn a lot faster than any other dog I grew up with.

The only thing my boyfriend complains about is how you can't go swimming with them. They'll freak out as soon as you touch the water, jump in, attempt to save you, and make a lot of noise. For some reason they just couldn't understand that the people in the water were fine. It's also really dangerous because they're so big, they could push you under while trying to save you.

Apparently, when my boyfriend took his dog swimming there were a few other people. A man jumped in the water and when he resurfaced he freaked out because he thought a black bear was coming for him when really it was just his dog trying to save him. ha ha.

35. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 15 years ago

We have an Alaskan Malamute, and he's the sweetest dog I've ever had, but he's also the ONLY dog I've ever had since I was 8. He's about the size of a pony. Only fluffier.

36. Em Writes profile image69
    Em Writesposted 15 years ago

I'm Mom to a pair of Vizslas, and would happily own more of them. They're super active, and smart, and our female is one conniving little bitch. They're total pains in the ass, but the love they give back to us, as well as the pure entertainment that comes from watching them, makes it worth it.

I've owned Labs and thought they were great. My family had a mutt when I was growing up, and my parents have another mutt now, and they were both sweethearts. My grandmother used to have a Sheltie and I adored him. I also would love to own a Boxer at some point, and would get a Great Dane in a heartbeat if they had longer life spans.

Really, I just love dogs in general. Don't think I've ever met one that I didn't like.

37. LondonGirl profile image81
    LondonGirlposted 15 years ago

Border Collies are gorgeous, lovely dogs.

38. binkier1109 profile image61
    binkier1109posted 15 years ago

I have to hand it to shitzu's! You keep them pretty short and they look so darn cute. Like a puppy all the time no matter how old they get!

39. trish1048 profile image67
    trish1048posted 15 years ago

My first love was a collie my parents had when I was around 5 yrs old.  He was the love of my life.  He'd watch me walk to school, and be waiting for me when I came home.

My late hubby had a boxer as a child, and the boxer rescued him from a frozen pond, and was his constant companion.

A number of years ago I owned a pitt bull.  He was the goofiest, sweetest most loveable dog.

I've known a pug and she was extremely affectionate.  And yes, a horrible shedder.

I've also known a Wheaten terrier, who had to be the most well behaved, gentle and loving dog I've ever met.

Although I was never a fan of cocker spaniels, I was in the company of one for four years and she too was extremely sweet and loveable.

My preference however, is a mutt, plain and simple.  If I ever had the opportunity to own a purebred, I would like either a French or English bulldog.

40. profile image57
    JFishposted 15 years ago

I'm a big fan of my doodle dog.  He's a cross between a dachsund and a toy poodle.

41. juggalo 4 eva profile image60
    juggalo 4 evaposted 15 years ago

I love my pitbulls the only reason people stereotype them as  aggresive is because some people take advantage of there strength!

42. profile image0
    AngryITChickposted 15 years ago

Irish Wolf hound.  Big Freakin' Dog, sweet personality

43. footynut profile image60
    footynutposted 15 years ago

It has to be boxer dogs for me smile

44. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 15 years ago

Newfoundlands, hands down Favorite!

http://www.top-dogs-names.com/images/newfoundland-puppy.jpg

~thranax~

45. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
    GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years ago

I've not had a dog since I was a child. We had a variety of them over the years, and I can't really say I have a favorite of breed. Its the personality of the dog that always wins me over, now how it looks! smile

46. Random Person profile image60
    Random Personposted 15 years ago

I don't think it matters the breed as long as they are obediant and loyal. Although I love German Shepherds!

47. LeatherBella profile image57
    LeatherBellaposted 15 years ago

Just stumbled across this ...  a long time since the OP,wink
    But Never mind, surely this is valid at any time, (makes me wonder if people had a change of heart? since their initial post??)

I am a dog, animal lover from way back, horses, dogs, cats and all those critters that young boys bring home big_smile but I do have preferences, all for different reasons.

I have owned, being loved by, and been in love with Schnauzer(s),  German Shepard(s), Blue heeler and now have a Doberman.

My Schnauzer was oh so loyal and smoochie, although a little stropy;
    My German Shepard, one was a fantastic dog, but the second dog was given to me when she was just over a year old, but have you ever had the feeling that a dog/animal does not like you? Well, she just didn't take to me and I could never quite work out why.

The blue Heeler was a bit of a problem because they really need big open spaces to run around. She was a great dog, just very restless. NO amount of walkies could satisfy her. You can understand why Heelers need to live on a farm!

It is true, I thinks, that each individual breed of dogs share certain similarities.

Well now I have a Doberman so faithful it is like he adores me. I just talk to him, and he picks up on certain words and does what he is told. smile Took him to school/classes for obedient training, but actually they trained 'me' to get the dog doing what I wanted him to.  He is very clever, has a inborn watchdog in him, notices everything. Not that I mind, he looks after my house and me.

Now I loved all those dogs but I would totally prefer a Schnauzer - but don't let my Dobbie find out big_smile

Doesn't shed  this is also a double bonus!

My Dobbie sheds hair all year long and if I don't brush him at least every second day, it is all over the place.

Good luck with all your puppies!

48. LeatherBella profile image57
    LeatherBellaposted 15 years ago

Oh I forgot this...

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu344/la_vingette/Hub/16Jan05_Glasses.jpg ....     http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu344/la_vingette/Hub/16Feb05_rosesAxel.jpg

49. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 15 years ago

I adore Wire Haired Fox Terriers. Grew up with them and although they are neurotic as hell, they're just adorable!

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images14/Wi … age002.JPG

50. profile image48
    badcompany99posted 15 years ago

Border Collies, they are so loyal and lovable and I have had two now, best breed for me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)