New on HP: Mini Social Sharing Posts-Tips, News, Facts ++

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (18 posts)
  1. janderson99 profile image55
    janderson99posted 10 years ago

'SHORT-CUTS'  - An idea!

The success of Bubblews, despite the payments issues etc. has showcased the opportunity for short articles shared internally within a community. HP has Q&A and the Forums but community involvement has declined IMO, I think for various reasons, as well, Q&A has faded.

The large HP community, could become very involved with Short-Cuts (100-300 length posts) - there is probably a better name, but this captures the idea.

These short posts would fill the gap between Q&A/Forums and the standard stellar hubs (700+ words). There is no avenue for short post and social exchange of ideas and stuff on HP now.

Features of 'Short-Cuts'

► New setup tied to HP domain (not subs)
    ► Short articles min 100 words, max around 300. The emphasis is not on gossip and personal reminiscences, but on opinions, short takes from the news, tips, innovations, guides and fact summaries. These are short pieces that would never qualify for a standard hub or be large enough. Perhaps they could be the seeds for developing larger hubs in the future.
    ► It would have fully functional comments
    ► Only hubbers who has a minimum of 5 featured hubs could contribute.
    A minimum of one relevant link would be required to get the post published (max2). This is to discourage posts about 'what I had for lunch'. Links to external sources and references would be encouraged as well as to hubs. This gives the post authority.
    Revenue would be shared with the author via the ad program (60:40). HP is well set up for this expansion.
    ► A simply category system would be used, but there would be a Google type search box to other short-cuts and hubs.
    Images would be encouraged, but limited to one (high quality and Pinterest ready in terms of size).
    ► There would be one simple layout (no video, tables - just text).
    ► Quality and appropriateness would be vetted via the community using a 'Report & Flag' type button, with banning applied to offenders (>2 strikes and you're out)
    ► The Short-Cut would not undercut the hub which are much larger and more comprehensive and should not affect the authority and reputation of HP, as it already has Q&A and the forums, which are all indexed. It is unlikely that the short posts would get high ranking, especially in the longer term. If HP was worried about this, the posts could only remain indexed for 6 months.
    ► Most of the traffic would be internal and advertisers already support the Q&A and Forums
    ► It would encourage more social interaction on HP because authors could contribute short posts, which they cannot do so now. It would provide a more 'adult' avenue for discussion than the forums, which have a poor reputation.
    ► Think of it as a forum of steroids - with an image, moderate length succinct summaries of facts, and opinions and comments - social sharing
    ► It could be promoted on the home and category pages etc. with 'Latest Short-Cuts'
    ► It would be designed as mobile-ready and mobile optimized - it would look the same on mobiles and PC's. Short-cuts would be ideal for mobile users on-the-go.
    ► It would re-engage the HP community.

What Do You Think?

1. janshares profile image93
      jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Fabulous idea, janderson99. You have really thought this through, very thorough presentation, a WIN-WIN-WIN for all. It could certainly take the place of all those 3-year old  "Hot Questions" which are currently taking up space.

2. Tolovaj profile image88
      Tolovajposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like a good idea. Internal 'buzz in the community' can only have positive effect of HubPages as a site. I like the idea and rules sound reasonable to me. Of course being a new member my support is probably not very important, but in any case you have it:)

3. LuisEGonzalez profile image83
      LuisEGonzalezposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Love it......I hope someone is listening or rather paying attention!!!

4. JayeWisdom profile image89
      JayeWisdomposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think yours is a very credible idea, and I do hope HP admin. gives it consideration. I think we all have ideas at time that could be expressed well enough in a short version, but we let them slip away if we don't have time and energy to research at length and write/format a lengthy hub.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image84
    DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years ago

I think it is a good idea, as well.  Sometimes, I start to write a hub that sounds like an interesting topic, but just cannot find enough research material, so it ends up languishing unpublished as too short to meet QAP.

Also, you could probably use these to provide short synopses/snapshots of your own much longer hubs, (there's your link requirement), to spark interest, instead of relying on a blog which may have insufficient traffic, or Face Book shares  which seem to have trouble gaining attention; it may be a "time of day" issue.

janderson99posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thinks social sharing - i.e. cooking tips, writing tips - short stuff to share => followers

3. JRScarbrough profile image76
    JRScarbroughposted 10 years ago

I like the idea. I think HP could actually pull in a lot of traffic with that feature.

No response whatsoever from HP team!

4. stricktlydating profile image84
    stricktlydatingposted 10 years ago

I like this idea too. So many of my online friends share little stories on their FB timeline and tweets, Pins etc, and these short pieces would be perfect for sharing that way. You don't always want to sit down and read a long detailed article online; as you browse through your friends updates sometimes something short and sweet, interesting or funny will catch your eye, you'll take a moment to read it and share it yourself if you like it. That's why I think mini Hubs would be a success!

5. profile image0
    summerberrieposted 10 years ago

I like the idea, too.

6. C.V.Rajan profile image60
    C.V.Rajanposted 10 years ago

If I were the HP owner, I would say, "You are appointed"!

7. IzzyM profile image89
    IzzyMposted 10 years ago

I also think this is a great idea and worthy of serious consideration. Instead of hubs they could be called blubs and if interaction were to be actively encouraged, the site really would be buzzing.

8. Paul Maplesden profile image76
    Paul Maplesdenposted 10 years ago

Just to add my support, I think this is a superb idea; the only concern would be maintaining quality, but I think that you covered those bases pretty well in your original post.

9. aa lite profile image85
    aa liteposted 10 years ago

Great idea!  Mind you Bubblews is rumoured to make most of its money from the captchas we have to fill in every time we post, rather than advertising.  I see no reason why HP couldn't monetize in the same way.

I would still have worries about quality (as Google sees it) and the possibility of it pulling the whole site down.  One way out of it could be to just decide from the start that all the bulbs wouldn't be indexed?  Would not reach its full earning potential, but less risk that way.

One huge advantage over bubbles would be that HP loads much faster, and is much better designed.  I mostly connect with HP friends on bubbles, so would be nice to bring it all in here.  Also, much less possibility of non-payment with HP.

1. sallybea profile image95
      sallybeaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

An interesting idea!  I would hate it to have the opposite effect though - that of turning HubPages into another Bubblews.

I  love the possibility that it might result in much better earning potential.

2. janderson99 profile image55

"One way out of it could be to just decide from the start that all the bulbs wouldn't be indexed?  Would not reach its full earning potential, but less risk that way."
      ► HP already has selective indexing for forum posts (+ Google probably does not index some). If indexing the forum and Q&A(?) has not undermined HP, then Short-Cuts should not have an impact. The Q&A are indexed to subs, which has always been a worry to me, and perhaps this is why many people don't get involved. There may be advertising issues as to why the forum is indexed. But I agree this is an option if the focus is internal.

10. Jayne Lancer profile image92
    Jayne Lancerposted 10 years ago

Wonderful idea. I'd much rather write short pieces here than on Bubblews.

I'm often allowed to do 300 or 400 word pieces on another site, but some of my ideas need much fewer.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)