New HubPages Sites Launching Soon

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 80 discussions (370 posts)
  1. Marina Lazarevic profile image77
    Marina Lazarevicposted 8 years ago

Check out today's blog post to learn about our multi-domains strategy for 2016, including the launch of two new sites (TatRing and PetHelpful) starting next week!

1. theraggededge profile image87
      theraggededgeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Interesting. HP certainly needs to take some kind of radical action and it looks like this is the start. smile

2. toptengamer profile image87
      toptengamerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Honestly, I see this as exactly what HubPages needs. I thought it might first come in the form of subdomains but ultimately, I think this is what needed to be done. Let me know when the gaming and PC hardware side of it comes into play!

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Will you, at last, create a site for RV Living and Travel?  You have never given this topic its due in your categories, but it certainly deserves its own site.  The choices for topics to write about under this domain would be endless, and there are millions of RV enthusiasts as well as those who wish they were who would love to see a dedicated site like this.  If you ever were going to entertain this as a possibility, now would be the time.
      PLEASE!!!

1. Don Bobbitt profile image84
        Don Bobbittposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Over time I have evolved to having over 70% of my Hubs being RV and Camping Lifestyle related.
        Another category that's missing, and has been ignored by HP is Senior and Boomers, our Lifestyle and our unique needs.
        DON

4. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

How will payouts work?  Will all of an author's hubs count towards one payout or will each article within a niche site pay separately.  In other words, if you take my best hub and move it over, will the revenue for it be removed from my current site?  I'm a bit confused about this part of it.

Marina Lazarevicposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Your first thought is correct! Earnings from all of your Hubs, across all sites, will be aggregated into your HubPages account.

5. NateB11 profile image86
      NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Looks like a good move to me. Google respects authority sites, and we still keep all of our Hubs and earnings go on as usual.

1. Rifen profile image77
        Rifenposted 8 years agoin reply to this

How do you monetize your hub. I used affiliate link on hub and they removed it. Would you please tell me what is the proper way to monetize my site by amazon or ebay ?

6. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
      Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi Marina. Will a hubber be allowed to be on more than one niche site?

Yes!

7. EricDockett profile image96
      EricDockettposted 8 years agoin reply to this

How will newly published Hubs be chosen for moving once the sites are set up?

For example, will someone review each and every new Hub and decide if it is good enough to include? Will there be a way to submit your Hub for inclusion? Will new Hubs by writers who have proven themselves in certain niches automatically be included in the new sites?

When I first started on HubPages I churned out articles and hoped for the best. Once I developed a solid strategy for niche subdomains I did a whole lot better. Now subs are gone, and my strategy that worked so well is down the tubes. With this new plan it now seems any new Hub needs to be written with the hope that it will be included in a niche site.

Hope is not a strategy, no matter what some politicians might tell us. So, I guess I'm asking that HubPages bring forward a lot more information and more transparency about how this process is going to work.

For example, I have a lot of Hubs on other accounts that seem like they ought to be Editor's Choice. I really don't care, but it sure seems like they are good enough to make the cut. So why haven't they been chose? Again, don't really care, but If I don't make the cut for these new websites I will care. That will be a big deal. I will want to know why, and what I need to do differently.

So, more information please. Both on the plan moving forward, and how the process will work. If you expect good writers to continue to create good content for your site (or whatever site) it's only fair to give us the right tools to work with.

Eligible, new Hubs (Featured + relevant to X vertical site) will be reviewed soon after they are published. If they meet the bar, they will be moved. Our selection queues will prioritize new Hubs over existing Hubs. Once all existing Hubs for a site have been reviewed, we'll be mainly looking at new Hubs.

Will there be a way to submit your Hub for inclusion?

Would love to offer a formal way to do this down the road. For now, if you have a worthy Hub that was not chosen after a site has launched, feel free to email us.

Will new Hubs by writers who have proven themselves in certain niches automatically be included in the new sites?

No plans for automatic selection now.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

Why would you prioritize new hubs over existing hubs, when in fact, it is the existing hubs that have already proven themselves via traffic, etc. This makes no sense to me, especially in the beginning.

1. lobobrandon profile image89
            lobobrandonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

TT2, I'm not sure who, but one of the HP staff said that the team would go through all the current featured hubs and then once they are done only go through the newly published hubs. This kind of makes sense.

Yes, it does, but it is now how I saw it written here.  Hopefully, you are correct.

Yeah I said that's a bad idea to myself and was going to bring it up, but before saying anything, I went through the first 3 pages completely and then through staff replies on the next three pages. That's when things got clarified.

This is a quote from Marina's reply to a query:

Eligible, new Hubs (Featured + relevant to X vertical site) will be reviewed soon after they are published. If they meet the bar, they will be moved. Our selection queues will prioritize new Hubs over existing Hubs. Once all existing Hubs for a site have been reviewed, we'll be mainly looking at new Hubs.

Here's the URL: http://hubpages.com/community/forum/135 … ost2795158

"Our selection queues will prioritize new Hubs over existing Hubs."

It was this sentence that concerned me.

I just meant that we'll be looking at a blend of new and existing at first, then when existing Hubs run out, we will only look at new. Sorry for the confusion!

8. C.V.Rajan profile image59
      C.V.Rajanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Content sites that sank in the past had one common trend. Bend or break previously agreed TOS to suit their convenience. I thought HP may not resort to it. But I may be wrong. See this FAQ in the blog:

"Can I opt out of this?"

"There will not be an opt-out option."

It  means, if they select your article, they shall put it there without your consent. Next rule may come: You can't delete or un-publish the article.

You provide consent when you agree to the Terms of Use. Please review the updated ToU: http://hubpages.com/help/user_agreement_2016_02_09

Hubbers own the content, and we won't take that away.

Should you decide to do that in the future, I would hope you would give fair warning so that people have the option of removing their work.

One of the reasons many of us write here is that we have the freedom to remove articles and place them on our own sites, etc.

If the team wants our work to become "theirs", then they should purchase the articles, not just take them.

While the TOS does say somewhere that you have the option of changing it at your discretion, fair is fair.

9. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps a silly question, but the new FAQ mentions a grammar score (7) for a minimum. I don't think that is something for me to worry about, but where is that available. Is it internal to HP only, thus one does not know that is why not considered?

1. NateB11 profile image86

The rating scale is here http://hubpages.com/help/hub_hop_table#informational

As far as I know, there's no way to tell what a specific Hub rated on that scale, but it's used in the QAP.

That's it! Thanks, Nate!

edit: to clarify: shoot for an 8 (since a 7 has no descriptions) to be safe. smile

No problem, Marina. Glad to help!

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

Google has stated that grammar is a ranking point.

1. tsmog profile image84
          tsmogposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you TT2 My concern is the snippet said Grammar with a score of 7 later recommended to be 8 one step below a perfect 10 on the Hub Score Table. We get an overall score with our hubs not a grammar score. So, how would one know? Even though I may only have aspirations with content moved I still like knowing the score related to the goal.

10. TessSchlesinger profile image60
      TessSchlesingerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think this is brilliant. Not too keen on the topics, though my late mom was a breeder (and I grew up with 200 dogs) and a few years ago I wanted to start a piercings business...

That said, I also believe general content sites will continue to slide and that it is sites with specific content that will flourish.

I have the greatest of respect for the leadership of this site as they continue to make the changes that Hubpages needs to make in order to survive.

11. OldRoses profile image95
      OldRosesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

This is so unfair!  Half of my hubs have been unfeatured due to lack of traffic (no one reads gardening articles in the winter) but I can't edit them so that they will be featured again for spring because there is a problem with the editing tool so my hubs will never have a chance to be moved to the new niche sites.

12. Phyllis Doyle profile image92

Marina,

Forums:

What will happen with the forums?

Will each site have its own forum?

Will forum threads that relate to the niche sites be transferred over?

Comments:

Will comments be transferred with the related hub?

Will hubbers retain their commenters score?

What will happen with the forums?

The forums will stay here on HubPages.

Will each site have its own forum?

Not at launch. This is one of the community features we plan to add later.

Will forum threads that relate to the niche sites be transferred over?

Possibly.

Will comments be transferred with the related hub?

Yes.

Will hubbers retain their commenters score?

Yes.

13. cfin profile image64
      cfinposted 8 years agoin reply to this

*random freaking out*.... burp.

14. Shadrack2 profile image43
      Shadrack2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Really, this is so interesting. I'd like to check them out

15. profile image0
      hubber8893posted 8 years agoin reply to this

This is really good to know that HP is dedicated to improve itself along with trends on internet for a sustainable future of the HP family. It will be interesting to see the new sites providing the best content in their respective concerns.

16. LauraD093 profile image71
      LauraD093posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Will hub in the future be adding a niche for political and social issues?

17. toptengamer profile image87
      toptengamerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

One question (assuming this was planned beforehand), why did HubPages move away from Subdomains ahead of the move? Does it facilitate it somehow?

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
        Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

When the sub-domains were removed, HubPages explained that they had lost their effectiveness and they wanted to try a "silo" structure instead.

The silo structure did not help so this is the next logical step.

18. Misfit Chick profile image74
      Misfit Chickposted 8 years agoin reply to this

HP has always been slow on the uptake, LoL! They are just NOW figuring out that 'niche sites' do better than sites with multiple topics. It is one good step out of many half-baked ones where I'm still going - huh?!

Whatever. Good luck HP. It seems to me like you are attempting to hang in there; even if I have always viewed your efforts to be less than all that. Start with editing/approving articles BEFORE things get published - I keep saying this. Make sure articles are worthy to be published BEFORE they are published as eyesores. That is half (if not more) of your battle right there.

1. Sue Adams profile image93
        Sue Adamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

+1

19. MarleneB profile image93
      MarleneBposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I like this idea a lot. I think that is the direction Google is going and HubPages is right there with them with this new purpose. Any chance we will see a Real Estate niche? If so, I'm all in!

20. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

Once a hub transfers to the new site, will we still be able to update it, etc.?

Yes.

21. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

It appears that once a hub transfers over, it will start its "ever" page views at zero.  Is this correct?  If so, what about the views a hub has earned in a given month?  How will you calculate that and how will a writer be paid?

22. sallybea profile image81
      sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

As someone whose writing has been written mostly in a niche subject, I do have concerns about whether my particular niche subject will be represented or heaven forbid, selected at all!.
      One of the most surprising things I learned over the past week was that just over 3000 Hubs accounted for 41% of search traffic.  With so few hubs receiving traffic across the board I do wonder if the new niche sites will eventually replace the current pages as we know them now as I cannot see them surviving with so little traffic.  I don't wish to appear cynical but I do wonder if this is being done in order to weed out the chaff which are not receiving traffic?

Of course it is.   They're manually selecting and editing Hubs one by one:  at that rate, the number that can be moved to the new sites, even over the course of a year, will be small compared to the size of HubPages as a whole.

1. sallybea profile image81
          sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Those figures were certainly shocking but it comes as no surprise.

Writers here have been asking for years for writing to be vetted before it was published. Now they will have exactly what was asked for.

I am just amazed that so many people missed those figures and understood the full implication of them.

Your advice has always been to put niche subjects onto a niche website.  Most people seemed to think that niche sites would not work here and then came this announcement.   I thought you advice was good so  I decided to see which one worked best for me.  Better not to have all your eggs in one basket perhaps!

It seems to me that we just have to decide whether to go with the flow or move the material if our hubs are not transferred to one of the niche sites.

1. makingamark profile image70
            makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Or you can decide to be in control of your own destiny and move YOUR content to YOUR own niche sites as soon as possible.

You are absolutely spot on about spreading the risk associated with "all eggs in one basket" and it does pay - both metaphorically and literally - to spread the risk and the content around and between sites.

The era of the HUGE article site is well and truly over. HubPages wouldn't have started this initiative if they thought otherwise.

2. Marisa Wright profile image84

Most people thought niche sites would not work on sub-domains - this new idea is different.   Each of the new sites will be a niche site.  So we'll see.

2. makingamark profile image70

The permalink reference to the quote by Robin below is http://hubpages.com/community/forum/135 … ost2794965

"We have edited just over 3000 Hubs accounting for 41% of search traffic, and we're still working hard to get to more Hubs."

23. Hearts and Lattes profile image77
      Hearts and Lattesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Check out today's blog post to learn about our multi-domains strategy for 2016, including the launch of two new sites (TatRing and PetHelpful) starting next week!

To Marina or another HP staffer,

1. Will you continue to nurture HubPages? I like writing on this site and don't want to lose this avenue.

2. Will Amazon links be available on the new site? I can't tell you how important it is for writers to be able to maximize their income on sites they write for.

Thank you

1. Yes. We are still working on the long-term plan for HubPages. See this relevant post: http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2795168

2. Yes, Amazon links will still work on the new sites.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
          Glenn Stokposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Marina,

I assume that Hubbers who are using their own Amazon Associates account will need to add the various URL's of the other sites to their "Website List" on their Amazon account settings in order to get paid for sales on those sites. 

I also assume that those of us who use Amazon via the HP Earnings program don't need to worry about this and that HP will take care of that part of it.

Please verify if I am right (or not) about these two thoughts.

You are right!

2. Will Apse profile image89
          Will Apseposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It is an old tenet of affiliate marketers that new sites need to get some age and authority before being monetized with affiliate ads. The new niche sites will have plenty of aged pages and will, in some ways, just entail a new URL for an old site. Even so, it might be worth getting some advice around the issue. Buying aged domains has already been mentioned as an option.

1. ryanpugs profile image61
            ryanpugsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If hand registering a domain its always wise to register it for a period of several years. New domains with the minimum 1 year registration are a confirmed red flag with Google, not just hearsay they have actually stated as such in a patent, that new domains with a short registration period may be treated differently in their algorithm.

1. Will Apse profile image89

What do think of sending potential buyers to a separate site?

In other words. if you have a site called poodlebeutifiers.com, send them to poodlebeutifiersstore.com for their  needs, using a significant number of nofollow links on the main site?

1. ryanpugs profile image61
                ryanpugsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

No idea to be honest, there are a lot of variables in that scenario, but having too many outbound links is a bad thing in itself, and I don't think the nofollow attribute would in any way stop google from noticing that there were a large number of links heading to the same destination. In your hypothetical scenario you'd usually just have a sitewide link to the store and Google counts sitewide links as one link rather than link to it from tonnes of individual pages?

Remember that one of the first casualties of Panda or Penguin (can't remember which now) was 'networks' of sites, where people were building dozens or hundreds of websites and linking them all together to pass juice between each other. Presumably those would normally have been dofollow links, but if you have one site which is deemed low quality it can bring down every other site which shares common whois details (and possibly even server location if not shared hosting?)

I'm interested in knowing by the way... there are a lot of articles on hubpages now which benefit from redirects from Squidoo? So will there be  articles on the new sites which have a redirect from a hubpages.com URL, which in turn has a redirect from squidoo.com, or will the redirect from Squidoo lead directly to the new page?

What hubpages are attempting here is probably bordering on unprecedented, they'll be redirecting from a single domain to dozens of individual sites, who knows how that will work out but it will be interesting to see.

Not aware of any issues with that, I know that a page receiving excessive redirects can be penalised, but that presumably won't be an issue. That rule was designed because of people who buy up dozens of aged high PR domains and point them all to their site homepage or internal pages to pass page rank and achieve temporary ranking boosts, a different scenario altogether.

Another question that has possibly already been asked, but what happens if a hubpage has been stolen and copied word for word elsewhere, and is then moved to a new domain? Presumably it would be the new URL which is then considered duplicate content? A redirect isn't going to tell Google otherwise is it, you can't transfer a date stamp.

A sitewide link would presumably only appear once on each page (in the nav bar) and never relate to a particular product. I can't see that arrangement bringing much income.

I must admit, my only aim at the moment is to try and think of ways this whole niche venture can fail that HP has not already thought of and guarded against.

I just hope they are taking good advice.

1. Jean Bakula profile image87
                    Jean Bakulaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Most of my hubs are about Astrology, though I write about other metaphysical subjects. I used to have a blog, and many people came to me for readings which they paid for. I have another blog now, but can't decide what I want to do with it. People who find me and buy readings usually find me on Google.  I've done pretty well even though Astrology is a saturated subject, I studied it for 40+ years and have a lot of experience. Will HP set up Astrology as a niche site? I doubt it.

24. profile image0
      candyhippieposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Brand new user here with freelance writing experience. I have a bunch of unused articles on various topics sitting on my computer that I'd love to dust off and spin up into Hubs, but I don't know which to prioritize.

Do you have a list of niche website topics that you're planning for the future, beyond tattoos and pets? I understand you don't want to jump the gun or make false promises but if you offered even a really general, tentative list of niche topics, ordered by general priority for creating new niche sites, I could prioritize my writing to-dos to better suit your plan.  I really appreciate any info you can give on this, to help me put out my content in the best order. Thanks!

1. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
        Paul Edmondsonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

We are working on a list that needs more refinement, but in general there will likely be a home for almost any topic covered.  After PetHelpful, we will be working on a Beauty site.  Likely followed by Food and Drinks.  Don't hold us to this 100%, but that's the tentative plan.

We also want to see how TatRing and PetHelpful do so the results of these sites may influence the rate at which we launch the next round of sites and in what order. 

The good news is TatRing is off to a very good start.  Fingers crossed:)

1. profile image0
          candyhippieposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Fantastic, thanks!

2. agilitymach profile image93
          agilitymachposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It is good to hear TatRing is off to a great start.  I am eagerly awaiting PetHelpful and am hoping my hubs get to be a part of it.

25. helenstuart profile image59
      helenstuartposted 8 years agoin reply to this

OK, One reason I barely write on here is because I've written like 4 or 5 hubs and I've never made one penny! Why do I have to be a computer expert? The real reason I'm writing now,, the original "rules" said something like "don't write about yourself" heck, maybe it was even don't write in first person! " You should be informed that information can be passed on a lot more entertainingly if the right person is using first person, Or even talking about his garden roses at the same time he muses over political affairs. I like to Miss Mable talk about herself and her pet schnauzer for 1000 words, love it, but I guess the muckity mucks who are featuring hubs from 7 years ago about I can't even remember what don't like it. Yeah, keep on compartmentalizing, but don't change the way you look at things, or don't gain any faith in the public as having any talent. Don't teach me how to work adsense or amazonsense or anysense. I'm going to write about myself . And you'll probably soon have a department featuring nostrils and face holes. Sorry for the anger, I'm being medicated now.

1. Jean Bakula profile image87

If you write in the first person, and people can learn something from  your hub in an entertaining way, it's OK. They just don't want it to read like a page from your diary. Some people write ten hubs about their breakup with the latest partner, and nobody really cares. You might find a forum about relationships gone wrong. But the intent is to teach someone something, or tell them something they may not know.

Also, it takes a lot of hubs to start making money, and at least a few months. It takes some people a year and 50-100 hubs until they begin making money. It's a lot harder now than it used to be when I joined 5 years ago. Good luck to you. You can learn a lot about writing and how others respond to your writing. It's a good place to experiment.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image95
    FatFreddysCatposted 8 years ago

Oh, my.... this is a biggie.

I'll be right back, I'm gonna go nuke some popcorn before the freakin' out starts....

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Indeed. lol

Which site would my tattooed dog hub go on?

1. C.V.Rajan profile image59
        C.V.Rajanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

tongue

3. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 8 years ago

This is exciting because I was reading a lot lately about niche sites doing better with SEO. The days of content farms with lots of unrelated content are over. Google has had a lot of success focusing on sites that stick to a single niche, as is evident in the huge rise in its stock price today after earnings were reported.

I'm looking forward to seeing HP niche sites for the topics I write about. The first two don't match any of my topics, but I'll be patient.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 8 years ago

I'm all for it - just as soon as you all get a site where something of mine fits. I have little doubt you all know what works insofar as the business end goes than I or the biggest part of my compatriots here do.

....I was fond of the subdomain thing though, but what do I know, I just scribble on the web.

2. SusanDeppner profile image76
      SusanDeppnerposted 8 years ago

Niche sites certainly seem to be the way to go these days, so the approach appears to be reasonable. I wish us all well through the transition and beyond!

3. colorfulone profile image77
      colorfuloneposted 8 years ago

Vision is a driving force...and its good to see HubPages going for the future and willing to bring others along.  It looks like a good strategy.  This should be a strong motivator.

4. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 8 years ago

And I guess this pretty much explains the Quantcast adventure.

5. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 8 years ago

Sounds interesting.  Will there be a spin-off site for all the religio-political rant hubs? I checked GoDaddy and CreationismAbortionNewWorldOrderTheRaptureObamaIsTheDevil.com is currently available.

1. Dean Traylor profile image93
        Dean Traylorposted 8 years agoin reply to this

LMAO- isn't that what world nut daily is for?

2. Marina Lazarevic profile image77

Let me see if we can snag that!

Not every topic on HubPages will be converted to a vertical site.

Are you referring to my question about creating an RV site?  If so, you should know that there are a number of us here who write well in that niche, but many address different aspects of it, which would make a very well rounded niche site.

No, I was responding to calculus-geometry's post above. smile

Thank you for the topic suggestion! We eventually plan to launch sites that will cover most of the subjects that are covered on HubPages. At the very least, there will be a home on one of our sites for most of the excellent Hubs on HubPages today.

Good news!

Please look at MakingaMark's idea for creating mini niche websites for people whose work will not qualify.

Also, what I was saying is that you really do not have a dedicated category right now for RVs, but you should.  Instead, you hide many under "autos", which really is not a fit.

For example, RV Care should not fall under the category of Autos, Auto Care.

This is an idea (user-driven sites) we are already considering, among others! We appreciate the active support and feedback! Thanks, everyone.

2. bluesradio profile image57
          bluesradioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Will there be a sight for those in the Arts.   A site for the musicians, actors, filmmakers and artists and comedians of the world......

1. bluesradio profile image57
            bluesradioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

And what about a sight for those involved in Social Justice.....

3. UnnamedHarald profile image94
        UnnamedHaraldposted 8 years agoin reply to this

What a wonderful thought.

1. profile image0
          calculus-geometryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Well I'm only half joking.  As a subset of the good content is "raptured" up to new sites the average quality of what's left down here will go down. Could not HP balances the scales by putting the crap on a dedicated site too? I assume it makes money for HP since they have always been so loath to delete much of it.

hpsassend.com is available.

Also:

hpsassend.social
            Renewal: $24.99 $12.49 $8.12
            hpsassend.rocks
            Renewal: $10.99 $4.49 $2.92
            hpsassend.ninja
            Renewal: $14.99 $7.99 $5.19

4. Diana Grant profile image93
        Diana Grantposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Good, I'll rush over and take that!

6. Jodah profile image89
      Jodahposted 8 years ago

Wow! Big announcement. Sounds like a good move though. The team have been busy behind the scenes.

7. profile image0
      cjnileskiposted 8 years ago

Hi!!  I think it's great to try new and different things.  If things don't work, then try something else. 
      Competing is great, who knows?  Things can led to new ventures.

8. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image94
      Glimmer Twin Fanposted 8 years ago

For starters I'd love to see a recipe site & craft site.  Thanks!  :-)

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
        DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Agreed!  There are a ton of recipes and crafts on here...they should have their own sites

2. easylearningweb profile image86
        easylearningwebposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree that a recipe niche site would be great, and I vote for a computer and technie niche site too. :-)

9. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years ago

So, I'm getting that we have no control; our articles will be automatically moved over to the appropriate new site(s)?

That's okay by me...less sorting for us to do.

Yes, articles will be moved automatically, and you will receive an email each time one of your Hubs is selected. We will also take care of the categorization. When the first site launches, you'll also be able to filter by "site" in My Account > Stats to keep track of where your Hubs are.

How much notice will we get of:
          1) new niche sites?
          2) the timetable for moving hubs to them?
          3) which hubs have been identified to move?

I'm at one with the strategy. However I'm already moving hubs to my own niche sites (which certainly underline the wisdom of this approach) and I'd like to keep the number of moves to a minimum (having already transferred from Squidoo)

1) Good question. With the first site, TatRing, we gave about a week's notice. PetHelpful is still at least a couple of weeks away from launch. We will do our best to announce new sites as soon as we can, but let me check with the rest of the team tomorrow to see if I can get a more specific answer.

2) This depends on the size of the site. We are hand-selecting Hubs, so the bigger the site, the longer this will take. We won't need to have every Hub selected (of those that are eligible) in order to launch a site, however.

3) You will receive an email at the time your Hub is selected to be moved (Hubs will move shortly after they are selected). Or, if your Hub is selected for HubPro editing prior to the actual move, you will be notified even earlier.

edit: a typo

Do we get the scope for a "Thank you but no thank you" response (i.e. this is a hub I have already identified for a move to another niche site)

I'm asking from the perspective of saving us both time and effort and keeping you well informed about future prospects for your new niche sites. (You'll be aware how many people from Squidoo accepted the offer to move to HubPages - and then closed down their hubs and moved the content off the site).

Also bear in mind I have the benefit of the traffic data from the past which I know is possible (and has been exceeded once I take hubs to my niche sites) - but which has not been achieved at HubPages.

I'm happy to leave hubs that I have no immediate plans for - but I will continue to move content to the four niche sites I'm building.

I don't think I understand the first question. Can you rephrase?

As for more info on question #1 from above, we will announce new vertical sites in waves. We will aim to announce the next four (after TatRing and PetHelpful) late next week.

What Makingamark is trying to say, from what I understood, is that she's got a few new niche sites and she is slowly moving some of her hubs to those sites. In order to save the team and herself from going through extra work, she would want to mark those hubs internally telling the team and any reviewers, that the particular hub is going to be moved to her private niche site at some point of time.

With this you would save on time, resources and would be able to give another similar hub a chance to get onto the new niche site you set up.

P.S.: If that's not her question, I'd like to ask it myself, as that's a really good angle to the whole issue at hand.

OK - here's another way of asking the quesion

Do we get an option to note the intent to transfer a hub and refuse  because "you'd be wasting your time - this hub is going to move off this site to my own site" (i.e. "Thank you - but no thank you - I don't want to transfer my site to your new site because I'm going to transfer it to my new site")

lobobrandon is exactly right. I have four 'mega niche' sites in course of preparation and two are already published. Of the ones published, in terms of transfer of content from hubs to my site one is about 60% complete and the other is about 50% complete.

I already know which hubs are going to complete these and those which will be going to create the two further sites.

If any assumption were to be made by HQ that the hubs I know will transfer to my sites might transfer to some form of 'art' niche then that assumption would be erroneous. It would be a waste of time and effort for HP.

On the other hand I also have art hubs which I have no 'transfer' plans for as yet.

I don't think art will be a niche site HubPages is likely to do as a priority so I don't think this is going to be a any sort of immediate problem for me.

However the principle of the 'opt out' still applies to other people - who might be thinking of doing the same thing.

Ah, OK. Thanks for clarifying. No, there will be no such option. It is effectively an opt out, which we are not offering. We will do our best to give early notice of the sites we are launching so that you can plan accordingly. An art site is possible in the future (likely crafts) but it most likely won't be in the next batch of sites we announce next week.

10. Jesse Drzal profile image92
      Jesse Drzalposted 8 years ago

Yup..this is a great thing. I will step up my game and I take this as a challenge to further write about my chosen topics..this will bring authority to Hubpages authors.

11. Blake Flannery profile image94
      Blake Flanneryposted 8 years ago

Good move. One benefit for these new sites will be that they won't have "related content/links" issues. Please make sure you don't add a bunch of unrelated links to other people's articles like the current Hubpages setup. Maybe give the human writers a little choice about what their hubs link to, like in the old days.

One of the issues for me will be how the line is drawn around topics. I'm sure there will continue to be an imperative on HubPages part to promote other sites - but I, for one, have no wish to move to a site which reflects all the problem issues associated with current categorisations.  (ie. Crafts swamp Art)

12. RonElFran profile image95
      RonElFranposted 8 years ago

It seems that only hubs that are vetted as being of high quality will be moved to the new niche sites. Does that mean that hubpages.com will become basically the legacy site for hubs that don't make the cut?

And since it's improbable that all hubs of decent quality will be fits for one of the niche sites, does that mean that some good hubs will be orphaned on a hubpages.com site where the overall quality, as seen by Google, gets lower and lower as great hubs on niche topics are moved?

I had the same thought - see my response below at http://hubpages.com/community/forum/135 … ost2795014

Ron, see my response (2nd para) here: http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2795017

Let me know if you still have questions about this!

3. makingamark profile image70

The relevant word in that response from Marina is capitalised in this quote

"At the very least, there will be a home on one of our sites for most of the EXCELLENT Hubs on HubPages today."

My take on this - and it's just my opinion - is that the bottom line is that HubPages will not be providing a new home for hubs which it doesn't regard as excellent.

That puts the spotlight on the HubPages process for determining excellence.

13. MelRootsNWrites profile image92
      MelRootsNWritesposted 8 years ago

I'm intrigued.  I'll be curious to see how this roll out goes.  I see that the pet niche is the first one to be set up, which is a topic I've written a little about it.  It will be interesting to see how they are selected.

14. makingamark profile image70
      makingamarkposted 8 years ago

One of the corollaries of this strategy is that there will be unintended consequences if communication is not managed well.

Communication will not be managed well in the absence of any recognition that not everything might go as planned.

For example (for which there is precedent) , those who have good quality hubs may see this as the beginning of the end for HubPages and hence decide to take control of their content now and will start to move their own content to their own sites in advance of any HubPages plans for their niche.

In other words - in the absence of the announcement of any plan as to which niches will get a separate site - HubPages can expect to lose quality content. That's because some hubbers will perceive the main site as becoming smaller / getting less traffic / losing quality content etc etc etc.  The incentive to remain a member becomes smaller as the site becomes smaller. This notion will become more prevalent and speed up movement as more sites are created.

There is precedent. This is exactly what happened on Squidoo towards the end.  First the niche sites and then the collapse.

The appropriate response by HubPages HQ is to treat hubbers as partners not pawns and to communicate effectively.

15. Len Cannon profile image88
      Len Cannonposted 8 years ago

I think this is probably a good idea, but only time will tell. I'm don't write in either topic, so I suppose I'll just watch from the outside. Best of luck to impacted users.

16. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 8 years ago

This sounds really interesting.  With the quantity and quality of hubs that are currently here, I'm sure there is plenty of material to  create scores of specialized sites.
      I am sort of diverse, with recipes, history, travel, art  and more-- but hope you will have a nonsense , creative drivel and humor site where I can find for a home.

17. Blake Flannery profile image94
      Blake Flanneryposted 8 years ago

If you don't create a niche site for some of our content, will you eventually offer 301's for us to move our content to our own sites?

18. janshares profile image92
      jansharesposted 8 years ago

Wow, I didn't expect this when Paul said something was about to be announced. I think it sounds great, very innovative. I'd like to say congrats to the pet and tatoo hubbers who will get first dibs on potential traffic spikes. Very cool for you, right? smile
      I had a busy day so I'm just getting this interesting memo. I purposely didn't read the other posts yet so I can express my gut feeling about this new direction HP is taking. Maybe it was mentioned already but I wonder what will eventually happen to my hubs that aren't nichey enough to make the cut. hmm Will those hubs overall begin to wane into obscurity and die off due to little traffic? I suspect that all the quality niche hubs will be moved eventually, and thus, take a lot of traffic away from the mothership. Hmmmmm. This will indeed be very interesting. neutral

19. Will Apse profile image89
      Will Apseposted 8 years ago

The leftovers on HP are going to suffer as all the better pages disappear.

Seems to me, that you will have a two stage system. People will be writing here in the hope of getting promoted to a genuinely viable site (as HP's main site declines).

It is not a bad idea but will only work if editors are capable of selecting pages that are genuinely worthwhile. They can look at traffic for older pages to see if they satisfy readers but the selection of new ones will require judgement.

I reckon the new niche sites need editors who really understand the niche. English grads are not the best people to be selecting tattoo or pet content.

However the thing about this is HubPages belief in the quality of its own rules and quality assessment - much of which is mechanical rather than people based.

I have hubs which did really well at Squidoo - and which HubPages says can't be published because they are "overly promotional" (despite having no affiliate links) because they have more than two links to the same domain.

By way of contrast I have stacks of statistical evidence that Google - all over the world - doesn't give a stuff and will send oodles of traffic to sites with more than two links to the same domain - so long as those links are highly relevant to the topic.

HubPages HQ hasn't seen the traffic BEFORE and AFTER HubPages and I have.

If you move hubs on the back of a quality assessment system which can't identify hubs which are popular within niches and generate traffic then it won't solve the problem of tackling the problem associated with Google's view of HubPages.

This problem (what will happen to Hubs left on HubPages?) has occurred to us as well, and we are working the long-term plan for HubPages (everything from Hub placement to moderation).  If anyone has feedback on this in the meantime, we want to hear it!

1. janshares profile image92
          jansharesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for answering. Regarding a "long-term plan" maybe a list of hot topic categories, as Marisa suggested, so we can start getting our hubs ready for possible inclusion. I'm not sure what else can be done to keep traffic coming to the mothership if all the quality niche are taken away. For example, will there be a poetry site? Poetry sites saturate the web already, right? So I can see poetry not surviving this change.

I like the hot topics idea! Thanks, janshares!

I think the entire strategy needs to be fundamentally underpinned by a strategy of partnership with the hubber - who own the content.

The hot topics idea is a good one. It illustrates those areas where people either need to lick their hubs into shape and/or decide whether they want to go with the HubPages Niche site - or move their content to their own niche site (for those who have enough content)

The thing is people need incentives to stay and move with you. If you leave them in the dark then they might just move anyway - and take their content off HubPages. People really don't like guessing games so tell them as much as you can and aim to keep all those on board who you want to move with you to the new sites.

There's plenty of evidence from other sites that when you introduce change people decide for themselves whether they want to participate or not - entirely independently of what the site owners THINK might happen

When Squidoo announced it was going to be taken over by HubPages a HUGE number of lenses were either deleted or transferred prior to the official transfer date. I know because I had at least 100 of my lenses up in the top 10,000 lenses that were left.

This is the sort of thing that happens in real life when you chuck a pebble in pond - you get ripples! smile

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image92

HP's main site will surely decline and eventually die if there is not a good plan in place to keep it going.

For one thing, to help the main site survive, the high quality priorities should apply here just as it will on the niche sites. Not one hub should pass the QAP or even show up on the feed unless it has at least a 7 rating.

I have a few suggestions that you might consider for the main site - mainly to make it a niche itself eventually:

- Short stories and poems only, including hubs on the different styles / genres of stories and poems (ie: what is a sonnet and how to write one) or (what is flash fiction with rules and examples).

- A learning site (with hubs) on how to write for the internet.

- Crafts, Sewing, Crochet, Knitting, Tatting, Needlework

- Home Improvement - Landscaping - Interior Decorating

A major introduction on "HubPages Has Changed" and a list of links to the "HubPages Niche Sites" should be the landing page.

The hubs left on the main site because they do not fit in a niche?  Miscellaneous topics? I really have no idea.

These are just my thoughts that you might  consider.

Thank you for the suggestions, Phyllis!

20. C.V.Rajan profile image59
      C.V.Rajanposted 8 years ago

It is like donating useful organs of a dead person. Organ donation is begun but death has not been officially announced!

Lol. I hope a slight exaggeration...

2. janshares profile image92
        jansharesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Lol, funny.

21. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

Hallelujah - I always felt this is what HubPages SHOULD have done instead of sub-domains back in 2011.

Helium attempted this a few years ago and failed dismally because they tried to split the WHOLE of Helium out into niche sites all in one go, the move went wrong, the site was down for over a month before the new niche domains were ready, the 301 redirects were wrong and took months to fix - it was a disaster and they closed it down soon after.  So I'm pleased to see HubPages taking a more gradual approach.

However I hope you'll consider giving us a list of what niche domains you plan for the year ahead, because

(a)  I know several people who are currently starting or about to start their own blog for their niche content - if they know their Hubs have a good chance of being moved to a HubPages niche site eventually, they would be likely to cancel those plans and wait for the HP site. 

(b) If you announce the niche sites now, even if you're not planning to launch them for a year, you'd get people writing for those niches NOW in hopes of earning a place on the new sites when they're launched.

Whereas if you don't reveal what the niches are, I think some people will just stop writing Hubs, for fear of writing on topics that will be left in the "rump" of poor quality Hubs that will be left behind on the old HubPages.com site.

Good assessment Marisa.

I do not believe that HubPages will have started this process if they didn't want to progress across all categories.

HQ needs to treat its writers as partners - and communicate accordingly - because at the end of the day they only have a site and a business if people agree to keep their content here.

The site without quality content is not a business.

Actually, they've already stated that not all categories will be turned into niche sites...so it's a guessing game right now.

I think one of the keys to making this successful is to be very specific about these sites and not try to include too many sub topics in each one if they do not completely relate.

For example, (and I have said this many times), RV should not be listed under "travel" or "auto" but rather under it's own name because it is a highly specialized area that does include elements of the other two but relates to them differently.

For example, RV CAN include general travel info such as great destinations, etc, but it can also include subtopics such as the effect of road vibration on a coach.

I am really hoping they will be careful with this because otherwise, people will not find this topic easily and views will be badly affected.

2. Dean Traylor profile image93
        Dean Traylorposted 8 years agoin reply to this

My first concern with this move had to do with what happened to Helium. I'm glad this is being done gradually. I remembered how disastrous that move was. A lot of people saw their earning tumble (some went from making more than $100 per month to only a $1...and many had over a 1000 articles).  Even before RR Donelley pulled the plug on Helium, writers were leaving in droves (however, I believe that part of the problem  writers had was that promotion tools such as Tweet-adder and Social Oomph stopped working with the new changes at that site...then again, that's a different topic).
        Anyway, I hope that these changes will involve writers' inputs, as well. And from some of the response I've read, it looks like that's happening.

3. Dolores Monet profile image93
        Dolores Monetposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Marisa has made the best suggestion that I've seen here. I think a lot of hubbers have been playing a waiting game lately. I know that I have. To have a new spot to direct our writing is a great inducement to produce new hubs. I fear that one of my own niches will suffer (clothing history) as it may not be a hot property. But if I had a clue as to what HP would be looking for, I would be more inclined to write.

4. Phyllis Doyle profile image92

+1  Good idea, Marisa.  I am sure we all would like a list of the new niche sites. It would really help to know what direction we should take with our hubs.

22. Sue Adams profile image93
      Sue Adamsposted 8 years ago

Since we cannot change user names, does this mean that articles by existing hubbers with names like, for example, "TIMETRAVELER2", "makingamark" etc. have less chance of being selected?

smile The new strategy is something I advocated over a year ago.  It's a very sensible strategy.

I'm just being realistic about the sort of things that happen between idea and fulfilment - as indeed I think Marisa is above.

I think what Sue is saying is, if HubPages is saying Hubbers must have a "real name" as a username, that would mean people like yourself would have less chance of being included in the new sites, even though you have high quality Hubs - and that does not seem fair.

Oh I misinterpreted! smile

I'm not sure I understand the point being made. Where did it say that about a real name?

The real names issue is the Blog post linked to in the OP:
              http://blog.hubpages.com/2016/02/02/new-year-new-sites/

under "What gives my Hub the best chance of getting moved to a niche domain?

Use a real name or pen name (avoid business names or keyword-driven names)"

Sorry - I couldn't see the link because HubPages choose to use a colour which makes it difficult to differentiate as a link [FAIL on basic website management!]

But I can see a URL! Thanks

OK - it says you can use a pen name.

I'm known everywhere on the Internet as "makingamark" - and I'm not about to change that.

I use my own name on my own websites - on the "about page" - and that's because I have complete control on the content. I won't put my own name on a site that I don't have control over - because of the really pitiful advertising strategies some site owners come up with!

I even have complete strangers coming up to me in art galleries and asking me if I am "makingamark".

My worry relates to a majority of writers with fake names.
                  If HP policy is to chose "real names", then hubs by writers with "business names or keyword-driven names" are  less likely to be selected for the new sites, no matter how famous those writers are.

I have no problem with them saying "no keyword names". I have no problems with real names on accounts. If they want to do business with people who choose to be known by a different name online then they better find a way of accommodating that.

2. EricDockett profile image96

I really hope they offer some clarification on this. All my accounts use pen names and this is the only one that sounds like a human person. I did this with the strategy of branding my subdomains, which made a lot of sense, once upon a time.

Online privacy is very important to me, as I'm sure it is to many Hubbers. I will not use my real name. Ever. Period.

1. Dreamworker profile image83
                      Dreamworkerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

They already said you can use a pen name

3. UnnamedHarald profile image94

I don't think your username has to be your real name but that you have to provide your real name in your profile settings.

1. UnnamedHarald profile image94

correction: Provide a real name or a Pen Name.

2. Sue Adams profile image93

Thanks Marisa

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

No, because the TOS gives the team the authority to change your current ID if they want to, which means everybody will have the same opportunity.

1. EricDockett profile image96

I really hope HP isn't considering changing people's pen names against their wishes. That would be a new low.

That is exactly what they said you are giving them the right to do, but I only think they will do this if they feel it is necessary.  I doubt they will abuse this option, so don't panic.

If some people had their real name attached to their accounts I think we can guarantee rather a lot of content would disappear VERY FAST.

I think the key is to have a pen name that relates to your topic.  In my case, I think the fact that "traveler" is part of that pen name will work for me because I write about RV travel and lifestyle.  Also, since I note in my author bio that I have been RVing for more than 50 years matches up with the "time" portion.

I just read the new TOS and in it you grant HP the right to change your ID, even if it means using your real name or choosing a more appropriate pen name.  I think that's going to cause problems for some here, but we'll see.

3. Robin profile image86
        Robinposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Sorry for the confusion!  We aren't advocating changing your username. We are referring to your "real name" under your profile page. We recommend using your real name or a pen name to show up on the site.

Many here have serious concerns about identity theft and other issues related to revealing our real names, so if you put them on the profile page, what good does having a pen name do?  People will see them every time they read a hub!   It is rarely a good idea to reveal any personal info, even photos, online as this can cause real problems for people.  I think the team should take a second look at this as many people could be hurt in ways that go far beyond losing a few views on this site.

That's a total non-starter.

Besides which you'd need to make any intention to make people's real names public VERY EXPLICIT.  Buried in a change in terms and conditions simply is not good enough.

There are a lot of people who don't use their real names for very good reasons.

If you pursue a strategy of using real names only I guarantee you'll find that your new strategy will fall over very fast.

4. Christy Kirwan profile image94
        Christy Kirwanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi Sue,

We will not be penalizing Hubbers who do not use real names. As Robin mentioned, we're simply suggesting Hubbers use a real or real-sounding name in the "Real Name" field instead of something spammy sounding like BestProductsNow or GadgetsINC or CheapFlightsThailand or whatever.

Thank you, that is reassuring.

2. NateB11 profile image86

Yes, reassuring.

+1

3. makingamark profile image70

So how about explicitly telling all those with names which won't be transferring to the new site - because of the keyword influenced names (or whatever is wrong with their name)?

That then gives them an opportunity to change it

23. makingamark profile image70
      makingamarkposted 8 years ago

PS. HubPages might want to consider creating a different new business model for people's content

They already have a system which generates a site called a hub. If they were to licence the software to people wanting to build their own website with their own domain (much like Weebly) then both Hubpages and hubbers have the scope to continue to use infrastructure they've already invested in - and create a new income stream at the same time.

This also provides a way out for those whose topics might not go to new niche sites.

The ideal solution would be to create a product which would allow people to create their own mini-niche sites of similar content from several hubs - but on their own domain name and with their own access to Google analytics etc.

People could:
      * either pay a fee for the use of the software upfront
      * or allow HubPages to place advertising on the site - and then pay the balance of a notional fee if the traffic/advertising clicks don't generate enough to finance the site

It's also a big incentive to improve quality of content....

This is a great idea, because it is obvious that HP as we have known it will not be the same.  Those whose hubs do not get chosen to become part of websites will be stuck tolerating the dross that has pulled this site down for years.  It would be even better if HP would 301 those articles over to those sites so people would not have to start from scratch.

Brilliant idea!

24. Sue Adams profile image93

Sorry, makingamark, but how does this answer my question?

It doesn't - it's a different point .

Marisa clarified your point above - in a reply to your point

25. FatFreddysCat profile image95

http://i.imgur.com/IEs3dVF.png

"Professor, without knowing precisely what the danger is, would you say it's time for our viewers to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside?"
      "Yes I would, Kent."

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 8 years agoin reply to this

lol lol

I'm gradually taking down my hubs and moving them to my own sites (all three of them lol). They make virtually no money there, but my hubs now also make virtually no money so I'm not losing anything. At least on my own sites, I don't have to play the "OMG whatever "improvement" are they going to implement next?" game.

I could be wrong, but I think this latest scheme for new domains is an act of desperation.

26. Will Apse profile image89
      Will Apseposted 8 years ago

I want the staff and owners here to make a living, so I hope it goes well. But just to say:

If HP neglect the main site: failure (there goes the feed of new, good writers)

If HP select the wrong niches: failure (pets and tattoo is rather narrow, animals and body adornment might be too broad).

If HP does not have first rate, niche-specific editors: failure (good editors will know the trends within a niche and can select or commission articles. Alternatively they can propose them to the community) This might sound elitist, but  sound direction from a professional makes or breaks an enterprise.

If no one makes any money: failure (we all need to eat).

The last point takes me to products. How is HP going to handle that issue?

On another thread, Eric was told his product links were "snipped" because they were moving his Hubs to the new site.  Which doesn't augur well.

27. FatFreddysCat profile image95

http://i.imgur.com/gs9tKMg.gif

Lol

Also, didn't know gifs worked on this site.

28. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 8 years ago

I wonder how Person of Interest will do...

29. erorantes profile image52
      erorantesposted 8 years ago

It is a great news. We are moving forward. I am excited. It is an excellent move for a good success. I am happy for all the writers at hub pages.

30. Mark Ewbie profile image81
      Mark Ewbieposted 8 years ago

Impressive amount of self promotional bullshit on this thread.

Here's mine.

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12863486_f1024.jpg

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92

You noticed that, did you?

I like your cartoon, Mark.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
          Mark Ewbieposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Phyllis.  The promotional look at me stuff seems a bit pointless really.  Anyhow, I have work to do!

31. lobobrandon profile image89
      lobobrandonposted 8 years ago

I think she says that since new hubs have to go through the system anyway and if they get a good rating they will be pushed to the new niche sites. But they won't be given a priority as such.

Anyway not many hubs are being published these days, not hundreds per day and definitely not many in any particular niche, so I don't think it's a cause to worry too much about.

Yes, this is how I understand it. As new Hubs are published, they'll be selected, because they're sort of "handy", and then on to the old stuff and then newer stuff. This makes sense.

Why would you want to put new, unproven hubs onto a new site before you even know how its traffic will be?  Makes no sense to me.

Well, because if the good hubs from the category are going anyway, the new ones would stand no chance here on HP, so there's no chance to shine. And as long as the hubs are good, I don't see the harm with them going onto the new niche sites.

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
          LuisEGonzalezposted 8 years agoin reply to this

1+

32. Sue Adams profile image93

What about this for a contradiction?

???

33. lobobrandon profile image89
      lobobrandonposted 8 years ago

Since hubpages has numerous authors, there are bound to be clashes on topics. So, what have you guys decided to do about this issue? Duplicate content could be a problem to both those articles, even if it doesn't harm the new domain a lot. And eventually both of them would not rank well.

34. profile image0
      cjnileskiposted 8 years ago

Nice to see so many new posts here.  Yes, hope all of us will be able to make money with
      these new ideas/sites are up and running.  Hopefully there won't be too many kinks to iron out after
      this starts.

35. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
      LuisEGonzalezposted 8 years ago

The way I see it, I have over 740 hubs; 56 about different topics and 691 about photography. So this probably means that once this gets going I will no longer be on "HubPages" but on a different site.  Don't know how I feel about this yet.

I think you will feel good about it if the traffic increases to those Hubs, which I think is likely because Google likes authority sites.

36. Jesse Drzal profile image92

No, Luis there will still be the main Hubpages site. They are just expanding into different sites as well to feature different work.

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image78

Yes I will be part of Hubpages  but my work will be found on a site with a different name (part of HP, but with a different name)...so people looking for photography will not find me on HubPages but on the new site. That is if I understood what Marina said.
        What seems to be bothering me is that HP is well known and has a solid reputation which the new site might not be perceived as having.

1. RonElFran profile image95
          RonElFranposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Luis, your comment stirred two thoughts for me: First, I think probably very few non-hubbers find our hubs by first coming to HubPages, then looking in a category. Most will find them through search, and hardly notice which site they are on. So the fact that a hub is on a site different from hubpages.com will make absolutely no difference to the vast majority of our readers.

On the other hand, I hope HP will keep front pages for all the categories, and the new sites, on hubpages.com (perhaps in addition to each site's front page) so there is a central place we hubbers can go to find new hubs and maintain community. Same for our feeds: since our profiles remain on hubpages.com (as I understand it), I hope our feeds will encompass all the HP sites.

My concern is more related to returning visitors. Many of my friends and those who follow me know that I am on HubPages (with the vast majority coming from Pinterest, Facebook etc). Once they look for me here and do not find me, they may think that I no longer publish articles here and might not seek to find me elsewhere.

2. TessSchlesinger profile image60
          TessSchlesingerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm not so sure that hubpages is well known. I know for a fact that my followers on various social networking sites have never heard of it. It's well known amongst people who write. That's about it.

I'd agree with you. I'd never ever heard of it until I joined Squidoo as a member. So I think it might be well known among the article writing community but that's a very small part of the community of people searching for information.

My take on it is people associate individuals with their own sites and not with host sites like HubPages.

2. UnnamedHarald profile image94

More people find Hub articles via search engines than actually come to hubpages.com to browse.

3. Marisa Wright profile image84

As others have said, I don't think HP is "well known" or has any kind of reputation other than with writers.

I very much doubt that anyone "looking for photography" would type "Hubpages.com" into their browser!   They would be using Google or Facebook or Pinterest, and in that case it really doesn't matter where your Hubs reside.

Anyway, if your Hubs are moved to a new Photography site, surely that can only be a good thing.

37. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
      Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years ago

Marina,

1. Will each site have a different manager/moderator?

2. Will hubs on the niche sites be listed in order by highest score, date, most popular, trending?

3. Will there still be hub / hubber scores?

4. Will the bios we have now be used on the niche sites?

5. Will we still assign groups to our hubs and still create hubs in the same manner as we do now?

Edit:

6. I just spent the whole month of January checking all my hubs, updating ones that needed it, and checked all image links to make sure they are correct.  Are we going to have to go over our hubs to change anything?

1. Will each site have a different manager/moderator?

We are considering a few options for site management down the road. One idea is to hire subject-matter experts. For now, our primary focus is getting the first sites launched.

2. Will hubs on the niche sites be listed in order by highest score, date, most popular, trending?

Popular will be the default. The Popular/Best/Latest sort will be on the listing pages.

3. Will there still be hub / hubber scores?

Yes.

4. Will the bios we have now be used on the niche sites?

Yes.

5. Will we still assign groups to our hubs and still create hubs in the same manner as we do now?

The Hub Groups ("More in this Series") module will not be on the new sites. Groups will continue to work on HubPages, but we plan to discontinue this feature in the near future. We'll announce when that is close. Heads up for now.

Thanks, Marina.

I hope you will reconsider discontinuing groups on the main HP site as I find this extremely useful for organizational purposes.  It also helps me to compare hubs to make sure I don't repeat any specifics among them.

1. Jodah profile image89
            Jodahposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree. I find the "groups" feature to be one of the more useful additions/improvements to the site. Especially when you write on a lot of different topics/genres.

+1

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image92

I agree with this, TT2. Groups is a life-saver for helping me keep my hubs organized. I could keep track of my groups on a spreadsheet, I guess - however, this brings up another question which I will ask in a few seconds here.

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image92

If we do not have the option of assigning our hubs to a group, will that be left up to an editor? I would be very upset if I wrote an article on Spirituality and it ended up on a niche site I feel is not what I intended.  I think a writer should have the option of where their articles should be. Can you please elaborate how hubs will be assigned?

I can see a lot of problems if someone besides the author determines what group a hub should be in.

4. NateB11 profile image86

I'm intrigued by the subject matter experts thing.

5. Jean Bakula profile image87

I write mostly Astrology hubs, although I have a small site where I give Tarot and Astrology readings. It seems people mostly "find" me here. Will there be a category for Astrology? I know it's sort of a saturated topic, but I have 40 years experience, and now about 15 reading Tarot, and I would hate to lose my audience. People are still really interested in it. Plus HP has several other really good Astrologers.

38. Sue Adams profile image93

I googled TatRing and this is the result on Page 1:

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/tat-ring.html
      and
      https://es.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q … ng%7Ctyped

Lucky me, I don't have any hubs about tattoos.

Looks like no one responsible for naming the new site bothered to search first. Seems like they should come up with a more self-explanatory name - like "Tattooing and Piercing"

No, tatring.com belongs to HubPages.

When you access that site, you get a log in box that says,

A username and password are being requested by http://tatring.com. The site says: "Hubpages"

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12864029_f248.jpg

However, few people will put the dot com after tatring. As Sue did, she just googled TatRing and only rings and tatting came up. The name is not specific enough to find in a search, unless the search is for 'tattooing and piercing' and then how many sites will come up before TatRing does? Just wondering.

Phyllis, I doubt anybody will be putting TatRing into search engines at all. What HP is wanting to accomplish is that tatring.com, with maybe hundreds of high quality articles on tattooing, will gain high Google ranking so that when people search for keywords relating to tattoos (and TatRing is not such a keyword) they will find articles hosted at tatring.com without ever even knowing that name.

2. Diana Grant profile image93
          Diana Grantposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  Although I have a couple of hubs on tattooing, I didn't even know what "TatRing" meant, and had to look it up on Google, which left me no wiser, and there were only three entries, none of which were relevant. They were also different from the one Phyllis Doyle directed us to, strangely enough.

So please do take this comment seriously and find a better name for the Niche....as you are always advising us - look for a title that viewers would be typing into their searches.

1. notnym profile image84
            notnymposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I disagree entirely.

TatRing will be a brand. Search engine, including Google, love brands. It's also more catchy and easier to remember.

39. Max Dalton profile image83
      Max Daltonposted 8 years ago

A technology site would be nice. I'm just throwing that out there :-)

40. Sue Adams profile image93

Can someone please explain to me what the advantages are of new sites created by HubPages over new sites created by ourselves? Or, moving our hubs to our own sites?
      Surely any new site starts off at zero views, zero reputation, so what is the difference?

The main thing I can think of is content. There will be a lot more content on a HubPages site than a site a single individual can produce. More crawling, more indexing, more attention from Google.

Not having to manage the site ourselves is another advantage and not having to deal with advertising. The Ad Program, for me, at this point has worked out better than what I have on my own sites. I realize some people have had better luck in this regard though.

Also we get to use HP's tools, look, etc, tools (and other things) I wouldn't know how to create for my own sites.

Other than that, I'm not sure.

The major advantage to hubbers is that any transfer to a new HubPages occurs at no cost to themselves - and that will be a big bonus for many people.

The advantage of a new niche site created by HubPages is that it "should" start with a critical mass of content which will help get it started. If it doesn't then it too will struggle.

If you're transferring to your own site then you need to pay for:
        * a domain name which accurately describes content and
        * you might well have to pay for your site to be hosted.

Those transferring to somewhere like Blogger don't have that problem - hosting is free - and would get a sub-domain name for their sites pretty much like the one we used to have.  However they also have the option to buy their own domain name and use that as well.

However you'd have to work at raising the profile of those sites for yourself - they work best for those who already have a following.

I've found the best strategy for the two sites I've started so far (on Weebly) is to associate a site-specific blog with each - and one has also acquired its own Twitter account and might be getting an associated Facebook page.

In other words you need to work at social media to get a site off the ground. Moving content to a new website simply does not cut it these days.

The same will apply to the Hubpages sites - they will need to work at social media to gain traction online. 

This is why having dedicated editors with specialist knowledge is absolutely critical - and is why individuals with expertise in their own area of knowledge can do very well compared to bigger article type sites.

Essentially at the end of the day it's all about how expert and specialised a site is - and can demonstrate on a regular basis.

3. Will Apse profile image89

I notice that no one replied to Blake Flannery's suggestion of 301 redirects to sites of our own.

The older pages here will take their link juice to HP's new sites. And I assume they will be using HP's monetization which is superior than adsense for many topics.

1. Blake Flannery profile image94
          Blake Flanneryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have found a way to earn about as well as the HP ad program by working with a company that works with Google and also optimizes ads on my own sites.

I've seen my traffic decimated here immediately following the switch from subdomains to the main domain. I would consider taking total control of my content if it weren't for the HUGE problem of my content being stolen and published several other places. Without a 301, it'll look like I'm the one who copied the content. It could be a total loss if I move the content or even hurt my own domain.

I'm really hopeful that this change allows HP content to compete with niche sites. I have previously asked for HP to allow independent sites to use the HP ad program because at the time I couldn't get close to the CPM that I was getting here.

When it comes down to it, Hubpages has a good record of successful ad optimization. Now there is a way to get better earnings with display ads on your own site, you just can't do it alone. I've found that you have to work with a company that gets special treatment regarding the Adsense rules.

I would like HP to give the option to send some redirects to other sites because of the copying. Otherwise my copied content will have to stay for now.

Blake - all of us at Squidoo had exactly the same problem facing us when we moved over here.

I know I wasn't alone in making a complete archive of all my lenses on Squidoo - the published version plus the page which demonstrated the data my lens was first published.  I now have records which can easily be made into pdfs for transmission to Google.

Also if you keep the same name and don't change your content significantly then you can demonstrate to Google that your content - which is actually what enjoys copyright (which host site it is on is immaterial) - was published at a specific date. You then have all the evidence you need.

41. Shawn McIntyre profile image81
      Shawn McIntyreposted 8 years ago

So basically, HubPages is turning into a less visually appealing version of Squidoo? Oooookay.

Precisely!

Except Squidoo tried this and it didn't work as I recall.

1. Shawn McIntyre profile image81
          Shawn McIntyreposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, it failed. Spectacularly. Not too long after that that Squidoo got bought out by HubPages.

2. justholidays profile image66
          justholidaysposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Not sure that they were on different domain names.

Weren't Squidoo Magazines in Squidoo.com/Categories? Or Squidoo.com/directories? Like the former Squidoo clubs... The Cupcake Club, for example - they were on specific templates instead... This wouldn't have changed anything since they never got the benefit of a separate domain name.

Only HugDug was on a separate domain name.

Not to mention the lack of competence from those who were supposed to manage them (since the departure of Megan).

I don't have many Hubs left so I'll just wait and see. I feel like something I've already been through, though.

Yet I've been with HubPages since the beginning (with my now defunct old account) and never saw as much dedication to save a site as I've seen and still see here. Must admit that Squidoo's founders left the boat long before it sunk and the individuals who took the lead after Megan's departure didn't have the same level of competence. I'm not sure it would be the case here.

I'm really sorry for NateB11 but Squidoo had a far nicer look than HubPages; which doesn't have an attractive layout and design. And certainly not as many Adsense ads as HP has nowadays! And it was far away more popular than HP has ever been and will ever be! It only took the Penguin update for Squidoo to lose its favor.

Deleted

3. NateB11 profile image86

Not agreeing with the visually appealing thing. Squidoo was one of the ugliest, gawdiest sites I've ever seen, with far too many amazon ads.

1. Shawn McIntyre profile image81
            Shawn McIntyreposted 8 years agoin reply to this

There were definitely people who overdid it; too many devotees of the "If some is good, more is better" philosophy. That said, with the various themes, and available level of customization, when used properly Squidoo looked 100 times better than HubPages.

I believe you. I had an account there but hardly used it, so I don't everything that could be done with their tools.

Edit: Although HP's minimalist look has always appealed to me. I like it.

3. LuisEGonzalez profile image78

Ya'll know that feeling when..............

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12864036_f248.jpg

4. LuisEGonzalez profile image78

I am all for being pro active but perhaps making the categories more visible instead of having a new visitor use the "search" feature might have been something better A visitor to the new site(s) will never know that I also write about jobs, short stories or recipes and these other hubs may just fall by the wayside.
        Not to mention that Facebook, Pinterest and so on might not be supported on the new site(s) or so I understand.

A reader on one of the new sites will be able to see that you write on other topics if you mention those topics in your main profile bio. Here's how it'll work: On Hubs, the Hubber section (your name, photo, about the author bio, etc) will be in the same place on the new sites as it is on HubPages. If a reader clicks on your username in the Hubber section, your HubPages profile will appear in a lightbox.

OK, at least now I am feeling better. Thanks for addressing my concerns.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
            DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have to wonder how many non-Hubbers actually read the bios..???

Going to grit my teeth and get on with the personal promotion of bios.

Very un-English...

5. Jesse Drzal profile image92

Luis, you will be allowed to be on the multiple sites too.

That I know....but someone reading my hubs on the new site will not know that I write other stuff too unless this is clearly visible!

Why would you not be able to link to some of your other hubs from the new hub pages?  Then people would know its you.

because if you're creating quality hubs you stay on topic.

Hubs on another topic are not relevant.

That depends on what you are linking to.  For example, if I am writing a hub about traveling to several places and give an overview of each, I might want to link to a hub that goes into more detail about one of them.  This is not a change of topic, but an enhancement to the one you are writing about.

But that's relevant! i.e. you've mentioned it in the hub and therefore it relates!!!

Luis is talking about COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TOPICS!

OK.  Got it.  Guess I misunderstood.

6. janderson99 profile image54
        janderson99posted 8 years ago

Pinterest could be a major problem. While the change from sub-domain,s back the mother ship, was tolerated, this is unlikely to be true for completely new domains. Pinterest traffic depends on extensive re-pinned networks which will be impossible to change. Many people get 60% or more of their traffic via Pinterest. The decline in traffic could be substantial and it may take months or years for the Pinterest  re-pin networks to be re-built. I suggest that HP contact the Pinterest team to see what can be done.

Good point to bring up. I already reviewed all my hubs on Pinterest to make sure the links are correct. Now are we going to have to redo our entire Pinterest site?

This is a big concern since a lot of traffic comes from Pinterest. And what about the hubs that other people have re-pinned? Are they going to be detrimental for us since the re-pinned hubs have the original link which will then be the wrong link?

I don't want to have to delete all my pins and start over.  Your suggestion for HP to get in touch with Pinterest to see what can be done is a good idea.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Pinterest should be no problem if the articles on the new sites are 301 redirects. As for new hubs, (pardon me, articles) on the new sites, they will have their own new URLs anyway.

Paul is talking to Pinterest directly to make sure everything works properly when we launch the new sites.

7. Shawn McIntyre profile image81
        Shawn McIntyreposted 8 years ago

I'm sorry but I've heard this song before. Squidoo did almost this exact same thing, and we all know how well that turned out. After Penguin, Squidoo scrambled to try and cope with the changes in the algorithm and it was a total clusterfu... you get the idea. Now HubPages is doing the same thing to try and recover from Panda.

Shawn, HubPages has been trying to recover from Panda since 2011!   This is just the latest change in a very long list of changes that the site has tried since then.

8. janderson99 profile image54
        janderson99posted 8 years ago

@ Sue Adams
        From the Pinterest Site.

"Tips and Troubleshooting
        Be sure to link directly to the source. Pinterest doesn't allow redirects or URL shorteners like bit.ly."

301 is a redirect. Potentially all the redirect pin links could be removed.

Son of a gun!

So basically every single pin which is driving traffic to HubPages at present will stop driving traffic to a new site after that hub transfers....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
      Necessary
      HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
      LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
      Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
      AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
      Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
      CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
      Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
      Features
      Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
      Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
      Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
      Marketing
      Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
      Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
      Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
      Statistics
      Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
      ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
      ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)