jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (41 posts)

Big drop in page views.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image92
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 4 days ago

Am wondering if anybody else has gotten reduced page views in the past two weeks.  I'm losing about 1000 views plus per day and am wondering if some of this is due to the hurricanes.  I always expect a drop in the fall, but this is pretty significant.  Anybody?

1. NateB11 profile image94
      NateB11posted 4 days ago in reply to this

Yes, I've lost some traffic and there's been a lot of talk about the loss from others over here https://hubpages.com/community/forum/14 … s-dropping mostly from HealDove.

Fortunately that site is not the only one where I get significant traffic.

1. NateB11 profile image94
        NateB11posted 4 days ago in reply to this

Of course, that probably wouldn't apply to you because that's not your niche.

TIMETRAVELER2posted 3 days ago in reply to this

Actually, I have a second site that includes some Healdove articles, but they have not lost views.

2. kenneth avery profile image79
      kenneth averyposted 4 days ago in reply to this

A few, but nothing earth shaking.

3. cam8510 profile image93
      cam8510posted 4 days ago in reply to this

I'm down about ten percent in the time period you mentioned.

4. weezyschannel profile image86
      weezyschannelposted 3 days ago in reply to this

Oh good lord I'm lost about 80% of my highest hub traffic! I'm totally devastated

5. lori811 profile image80
      lori811posted 3 days ago in reply to this

Hi TIMETRAVELER2 - It might attributed to the Hurricanes. Lots of outages, resulting in no internet connection. Just hang in there and wait. Continued $ucce$$ and God bless!smile

Hope you're right. Thanks.

1. Glenn Stok profile image93
          Glenn Stokposted 3 days ago in reply to this

TT2: Did you see my reply to your same post? I gave you the same answer, but with more info—on how you can find out.

TIMETRAVELER2posted 2 days ago in reply to this

Just saw it and did check.  My three biggest states are CA, TX and FL.  The first two dropped slightly but the FL views were cut by more than half!  So apparently the hurricane is the problem.  I never knew about this feature in GA and am glad to have learned about it. Thanks, Glenn.

Interestingly, yesterdays views jumped almost back to normal, but then people are now returning home and for many life is getting back to normal.

We are still in evacuation mode and plan to stay until we see what Maria might do. She may follow the same track as Irma, and if so, we could taken a second hit!  That would be horrible for FL!

Glenn Stokposted 2 days ago in reply to this

You've confirmed my prediction that the cause of traffic lose with AxleAddict is from Florida.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and for my sister (who also lives in Florida), hoping Maria doesn't follow the same track. You have Maria to worry about and I have Jose developing—that may head to New York.

I don't think Jose will hit NY..at least not directly.  Maybe just some heavy rain and coastal flooding.  Maria, however, could turn into another Irma monster.  As I said before,glad I own an RV!  Going to sit it out, wait and see.

Good luck with Jose!

Glenn Stokposted 2 days ago in reply to this

Yes, Jose looks like it will just turn out into the Atlantic. My sister is gassing up her car today in case they need to evacuate. They're in the Villages. Good luck with Maria. I see there is even another one behind Maria.

2. CYong74 profile image90
    CYong74posted 4 days ago

Not at all for me. It's been on a high, on the contrary.

1. Kyriaki Chatzi profile image83
      Kyriaki Chatziposted 3 days ago in reply to this

Same here!

1. Will Apse profile image89
        Will Apseposted 3 days ago in reply to this

Which site are we talking about? I am guessing caloriebee.

3. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 4 days ago

If it is axleaddict losing traffic this might come into the YMYL category. Google mentions car safety in the search evaluator guidelines:

Quote:

"other topics that you may consider YMYL, (are) child adoption, car safety information,
    etc."

What expertise or qualifications someone is supposed to have in regard to motor vehicle articles is unknown (to me at least).

I can vouch for Dengarden and Owlcation still doing very well. Getting a little nervous though.

1. lobobrandon profile image84
      lobobrandonposted 3 days ago in reply to this

These are the only two I have aritcles on too, they are ranking pretty well, though I have 33% of the traffic I had 2 weeks ago. But this is because it's not tomato growing season anymore, in most parts of the globe.

All of my main hubs are on Axleaddict, but there is a great variety of topics there because RV living and travel is such a broad topic.  I don't think they qualify as YMYL topics and i have plenty of authority for writing them.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image92

If owning, living in and traveling in RV's for more than 50 years doesn't qualify me, what does?  That cannot be what is happening here.  a 25% plus drop in readership is significant...although it is the end of the RVing main season now, which would account for some of the drop...but that is a significant number and it concerns me.

Is it possible that a large portion of your traffic for RV hubs is coming from Florida and Texas? That might account for your 25% drop in AxleAddict.

You can find out by checking your Google Analytics report under "Audience > Geo > Location"
        Then click in the United States and it will open a detailed report of traffic from each state.

2. Sherry Hewins profile image95
        Sherry Hewinsposted 3 days ago in reply to this

It is not just your authority the ranking would be based on. It is the authority of the site as a whole. Just like one article on Healdove written by a credentialed medical expert would be penalized the same as everyone else's article (if AxleAddict is being hit.)

1. Daughter Of Maat profile image98
          Daughter Of Maatposted 2 days ago in reply to this

I can vouch for that. My articles are backed by certifications and 2 decades of experience in medicine, and they are getting hit hard on healdove.

1. Health Reports profile image93
            Health Reportsposted 9 hours ago in reply to this

My articles on Healdove dealing more with self help and ayurvedic medicine have not been hit so hard, but a little.  Perhaps certain medical topics were selected in the algo.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image92

Thanks for reminding me about this, but you are oh so correct!  Easy to forget all of the things that can impact views.

4. Chriswillman90 profile image92
    Chriswillman90posted 3 days ago

I did suffer a good drop but for me it was a combo of back to school and the hurricanes. I don't know if tech articles fall into the YMYL category.

5. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 3 days ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13703090_f1024.jpg

This is my last 6 months (from Google analytics).

You have me a little concerned, though.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image95
      Sherry Hewinsposted 3 days ago in reply to this

Wow, my chart is way more volatile than yours! I am glad you posted this, because it got me looking back at my statistics. Even though my page views are way down compared to the last couple of months, they are doing well compared to my average views in the past. I am especially happy to see that my Spinditty, Owlcation and Dengarden views are up during this time. It's nice not to have such a large portion of traffic coming from one hub or niche site. I am diversified.

1. Will Apse profile image89
        Will Apseposted 3 days ago in reply to this

I'm surprised that other people are seeing so many ups and downs. Wilderness and Glenn reckon Axleaddict is fine so it does look like Timetraveler 2 is getting a hurricane effect. But what about the other people reporting huge drops?

It might be that they have newer pages (mine are pretty old and well established). Or that they are talking about a fifty per cent drop as being down from 50 to 25 views a day, something that can happen if you just slip a place or two in the rankings (for any reason at all).

1. wilderness profile image96
          wildernessposted 3 days ago in reply to this

Long ago, in my first year at HP, I saw a months long drop in views and almost dropped the whole idea.  And when they came back I resolved to never make that mistake again; traffic is not static.  It rises, it falls.  Sometimes by the day, sometimes by the week and occasionally by the month.  While HP may be large enough to smooth out those bumps, the ones without real cause, no hubber is.  It doesn't take an algorithm change to affect traffic for long periods; it just takes an unusual, improbable chance that happens sometimes.

Sometimes there's a reason for a drop - Google, hurricane, eclipse, school's out, holiday, etc.) and sometimes there isn't.

2. Glenn Stok profile image93

We'll see what TT2 says when she checks her GA to determine if her traffic loss on AxleAddict is from the hurricane-hit areas.

6. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 3 days ago

It would help if a few more people from axleaddict chipped in. Is it the site being hit, is it a seasonal thing, is it just your pages? Anyway... hope you see a recovery.

I have three hubs in AxleAddict and did not notice a drop there. Latest check shows a 2% drop, which is within normal fluctuation. I have hubs scattered in 13 vertical niche sites and my major drop is all due to HealDove. The others are holding out.

2. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 3 days ago in reply to this

I have just a few in axleaddict and, like Glenn, have not noticed a drop.  I have seen a huge drop in HealDove, though - from several hundred per day to a few dozen.  Although only a small percentage of my hubs, the drop was still readily apparent in overall totals.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image92

There aren't that many who write on this topic, so it's hard to tell.  May be the storms, the season or...who knows?

As I said in my answer to Will's question, I'm not seeing a drop in AxleAddict.

7. paradigmsearch profile image84
    paradigmsearchposted 3 days ago

As online writers, it is our lot in life to be messed with. And it is only going to get worse. Unless one enjoys writing, get out of town. Fortunately, I still enjoy it; especially the bit about contributing to society. The money? Desperately needed. But still consider it just a bonus.

8. Susan Hambidge profile image92
    Susan Hambidgeposted 3 days ago

Mine are all down by about 25% but I did ride a nice high for a about 6 weeks! Disappointed but hey ho!

9. paradigmsearch profile image84
    paradigmsearchposted 2 days ago

Just wanted to mention, love the name "TIMETRAVELER2".

Thanks.  Time, because I'm old and have RVd for more than 50 years, Traveler because we have traveled all over the US for years and 2 because my husband is number 1!

working