Big drop in page views.

Jump to Last Post 1-30 of 30 discussions (127 posts)
  1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years ago

Am wondering if anybody else has gotten reduced page views in the past two weeks.  I'm losing about 1000 views plus per day and am wondering if some of this is due to the hurricanes.  I always expect a drop in the fall, but this is pretty significant.  Anybody?

1. NateB11 profile image90
      NateB11posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I've lost some traffic and there's been a lot of talk about the loss from others over here https://hubpages.com/community/forum/14 … s-dropping mostly from HealDove.

Fortunately that site is not the only one where I get significant traffic.

Of course, that probably wouldn't apply to you because that's not your niche.

TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Actually, I have a second site that includes some Healdove articles, but they have not lost views.

2. kenneth avery profile image79
      kenneth averyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

A few, but nothing earth shaking.

3. cam8510 profile image91
      cam8510posted 6 years agoin reply to this

I'm down about ten percent in the time period you mentioned.

4. weezyschannel profile image88
      weezyschannelposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Oh good lord I'm lost about 80% of my highest hub traffic! I'm totally devastated

5. profile image0
      lori811posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hi TIMETRAVELER2 - It might attributed to the Hurricanes. Lots of outages, resulting in no internet connection. Just hang in there and wait. Continued $ucce$$ and God bless!smile

Hope you're right. Thanks.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
          Glenn Stokposted 6 years agoin reply to this

TT2: Did you see my reply to your same post? I gave you the same answer, but with more info—on how you can find out.

Just saw it and did check.  My three biggest states are CA, TX and FL.  The first two dropped slightly but the FL views were cut by more than half!  So apparently the hurricane is the problem.  I never knew about this feature in GA and am glad to have learned about it. Thanks, Glenn.

Interestingly, yesterdays views jumped almost back to normal, but then people are now returning home and for many life is getting back to normal.

We are still in evacuation mode and plan to stay until we see what Maria might do. She may follow the same track as Irma, and if so, we could taken a second hit!  That would be horrible for FL!

You've confirmed my prediction that the cause of traffic lose with AxleAddict is from Florida.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and for my sister (who also lives in Florida), hoping Maria doesn't follow the same track. You have Maria to worry about and I have Jose developing—that may head to New York.

I don't think Jose will hit NY..at least not directly.  Maybe just some heavy rain and coastal flooding.  Maria, however, could turn into another Irma monster.  As I said before,glad I own an RV!  Going to sit it out, wait and see.

Good luck with Jose!

Yes, Jose looks like it will just turn out into the Atlantic. My sister is gassing up her car today in case they need to evacuate. They're in the Villages. Good luck with Maria. I see there is even another one behind Maria.

6. Sherry Hewins profile image93
      Sherry Hewinsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Mine's going down now too, and not just HealDove. This too shall pass.

7. RGraf profile image88
      RGrafposted 6 years agoin reply to this

A little bit. I'm sure the strange nature moves this year is contributing.

2. CYong74 profile image96
    CYong74posted 6 years ago

Not at all for me. It's been on a high, on the contrary.

1. Kyriaki Chatzi profile image87
      Kyriaki Chatziposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Same here!

1. Will Apse profile image88
        Will Apseposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Which site are we talking about? I am guessing caloriebee.

3. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 6 years ago

If it is axleaddict losing traffic this might come into the YMYL category. Google mentions car safety in the search evaluator guidelines:

Quote:

"other topics that you may consider YMYL, (are) child adoption, car safety information,
    etc."

What expertise or qualifications someone is supposed to have in regard to motor vehicle articles is unknown (to me at least).

I can vouch for Dengarden and Owlcation still doing very well. Getting a little nervous though.

1. lobobrandon profile image90
      lobobrandonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

These are the only two I have aritcles on too, they are ranking pretty well, though I have 33% of the traffic I had 2 weeks ago. But this is because it's not tomato growing season anymore, in most parts of the globe.

All of my main hubs are on Axleaddict, but there is a great variety of topics there because RV living and travel is such a broad topic.  I don't think they qualify as YMYL topics and i have plenty of authority for writing them.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

If owning, living in and traveling in RV's for more than 50 years doesn't qualify me, what does?  That cannot be what is happening here.  a 25% plus drop in readership is significant...although it is the end of the RVing main season now, which would account for some of the drop...but that is a significant number and it concerns me.

Is it possible that a large portion of your traffic for RV hubs is coming from Florida and Texas? That might account for your 25% drop in AxleAddict.

You can find out by checking your Google Analytics report under "Audience > Geo > Location"
        Then click in the United States and it will open a detailed report of traffic from each state.

2. Sherry Hewins profile image93

It is not just your authority the ranking would be based on. It is the authority of the site as a whole. Just like one article on Healdove written by a credentialed medical expert would be penalized the same as everyone else's article (if AxleAddict is being hit.)

1. Daughter Of Maat profile image94
          Daughter Of Maatposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I can vouch for that. My articles are backed by certifications and 2 decades of experience in medicine, and they are getting hit hard on healdove.

1. Health Reports profile image84
            Health Reportsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

My articles on Healdove dealing more with self help and ayurvedic medicine have not been hit so hard, but a little.  Perhaps certain medical topics were selected in the algo.

1. TessSchlesinger profile image61
              TessSchlesingerposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I am sorry to hear that.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

Thanks for reminding me about this, but you are oh so correct!  Easy to forget all of the things that can impact views.

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

How does this compare with the big seasonal drops you experienced twice before?

It doesn't.  Those drops were massive and almost ruined me.  I get so many views now that even with a 25% drop in the off season I'm able to sustain enough views to bring in decent income.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

Well, there you go.  The last twice were worse, this time isn't as bad - so it's a normal thing and hardly something to be concerned about.

I'm always concerned when I see views dropping, but the funny thing is that this time the money has not dropped along with the views!  In fact I made more last month than those previously this year.

1. Chriswillman90 profile image91
                Chriswillman90posted 6 years agoin reply to this

The ad revenue has made up for the drops for me too.

I have zero thoughts on the holiday season though, last year my views soared from late October through early January, I doubt I'll see the same this time.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

Well, there you go.  It sounds like you haven't lost any worthwhlie traffic.  That's a good sign and suggests Google is showing your Hubs to the right people.

2. Sherry Hewins profile image93

It's kind of like my mutual funds. One thing you can count on, they will go up and they will go down.

4. Chriswillman90 profile image91
    Chriswillman90posted 6 years ago

I did suffer a good drop but for me it was a combo of back to school and the hurricanes. I don't know if tech articles fall into the YMYL category.

5. Will Apse profile image88

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13703090_f1024.jpg

This is my last 6 months (from Google analytics).

You have me a little concerned, though.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image93

Wow, my chart is way more volatile than yours! I am glad you posted this, because it got me looking back at my statistics. Even though my page views are way down compared to the last couple of months, they are doing well compared to my average views in the past. I am especially happy to see that my Spinditty, Owlcation and Dengarden views are up during this time. It's nice not to have such a large portion of traffic coming from one hub or niche site. I am diversified.

I'm surprised that other people are seeing so many ups and downs. Wilderness and Glenn reckon Axleaddict is fine so it does look like Timetraveler 2 is getting a hurricane effect. But what about the other people reporting huge drops?

It might be that they have newer pages (mine are pretty old and well established). Or that they are talking about a fifty per cent drop as being down from 50 to 25 views a day, something that can happen if you just slip a place or two in the rankings (for any reason at all).

1. wilderness profile image94
          wildernessposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Long ago, in my first year at HP, I saw a months long drop in views and almost dropped the whole idea.  And when they came back I resolved to never make that mistake again; traffic is not static.  It rises, it falls.  Sometimes by the day, sometimes by the week and occasionally by the month.  While HP may be large enough to smooth out those bumps, the ones without real cause, no hubber is.  It doesn't take an algorithm change to affect traffic for long periods; it just takes an unusual, improbable chance that happens sometimes.

Sometimes there's a reason for a drop - Google, hurricane, eclipse, school's out, holiday, etc.) and sometimes there isn't.

2. Glenn Stok profile image96

We'll see what TT2 says when she checks her GA to determine if her traffic loss on AxleAddict is from the hurricane-hit areas.

6. Will Apse profile image88

It would help if a few more people from axleaddict chipped in. Is it the site being hit, is it a seasonal thing, is it just your pages? Anyway... hope you see a recovery.

I have three hubs in AxleAddict and did not notice a drop there. Latest check shows a 2% drop, which is within normal fluctuation. I have hubs scattered in 13 vertical niche sites and my major drop is all due to HealDove. The others are holding out.

2. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I have just a few in axleaddict and, like Glenn, have not noticed a drop.  I have seen a huge drop in HealDove, though - from several hundred per day to a few dozen.  Although only a small percentage of my hubs, the drop was still readily apparent in overall totals.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

There aren't that many who write on this topic, so it's hard to tell.  May be the storms, the season or...who knows?

As I said in my answer to Will's question, I'm not seeing a drop in AxleAddict.

7. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

As online writers, it is our lot in life to be messed with. And it is only going to get worse. Unless one enjoys writing, get out of town. Fortunately, I still enjoy it; especially the bit about contributing to society. The money? Desperately needed. But still consider it just a bonus.

8. Susan Hambidge profile image95
    Susan Hambidgeposted 6 years ago

Mine are all down by about 25% but I did ride a nice high for a about 6 weeks! Disappointed but hey ho!

9. paradigmsearch profile image60

Just wanted to mention, love the name "TIMETRAVELER2".

Thanks.  Time, because I'm old and have RVd for more than 50 years, Traveler because we have traveled all over the US for years and 2 because my husband is number 1!

10. Chriswillman90 profile image91

Overall views are really dropping now, lowest in over a year for me.

1. Jan Saints profile image87
      Jan Saintsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I'm also seeing this!

11. eugbug profile image95
    eugbugposted 6 years ago

Seems to be a drop in the last day or so. There are rumours of a Google algorithm update.
    https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13709542.jpg

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13709973.png

Seems there was some kind of change. I am seeing newer pages hit and older pages doing fine (or better). Overall, a small decline.

12. Chriswillman90 profile image91

Well at least it's not just me. Hopefully things blow over soon though because traffic normally should be picking up as the holidays draw closer.

13. dougwest1 profile image95
    dougwest1posted 6 years ago

I would be happy to have 1000 views per day to loose. I guess my needs are simple. Good luck.

14. TessSchlesinger profile image61
    TessSchlesingerposted 6 years ago

It's been some years now. Paul Edmonton has done an incredible job in the face of some pretty huge obstacles. That hubpages is still going as a content site says something about the ownership of HP.

However, I think, in some ways, this is a losing battle. Google has a police that where content is concenred, it must be written by experts in the field (i.e. particular websites by corporations, governments, universities, etc that are allied to that topic) or if it is a general news/article site, it must be written by qualified and salaried journalists.

No site that gives the ability for everybody to write will ever be accepted by Google as worthy. The basic premise is that not everybody is an expert or can write well, and therefore sites that allow them to write are below par.

Write about about stuff that you know about.

Abandon all egotism. Keep your personal life for your friends.

Write something useful and you will be rewarded.

???? Actually a writer is supposed to be able to research any topic and write about it accurately. I don't know where the idea came from that one must write about what one knows, but it is a myth.

Yes, I agree to keep personal stuff out. Also religion.

If you are referring to me, I make payout every month, thanks

1. theraggededge profile image96
          theraggededgeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely. I agree. I've done it and been paid for it over and over.

But a writer can write personal stuff too. Hence the proliferation of personal columnists in newspapers. Everyone has an opinion. And, of course anyone can write about religion - it's one of the biggest topics out there.

There aren't any rules when it comes to writing about anything under the sun - it only depends on the platform.

Personal columns in newspapers are a real art, wherein someone uses their own experiences to cater to their readers' needs. If you can do it you are one in a million.

It is a little like writing airport thrillers (if they still exist). You think it is easy 'til you try, and then realize that you need an airport kind of mind (a lot of empty space but plenty of trajectory along tightly constrained pathways).

Agreed.

2. TessSchlesinger profile image61

I was sort of talking about the religious nonsense on hubpages. I am pretty sure it doesn't pay here. With regard to personal stuff, yes, if you're madonna ot trump or someone. If you're nobody with nothing particularly interesting to say... no.

Well, I agree to disagree. I'll keep the personal touches in my hubs and continue to get the traffic I like big_smile

Yup. I suspect we'll disagree about a lot of things. smile

But, Tess, you just published a review of Black Seed Oil. You shared quite a lot of personal info about your health and so on. So maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by keeping personal stuff out of your writing?

Yup. I took a read through a few of your hubs. They are written in a particular style that links objective information with subjective information. That is the way one does it, and you have a friendly writing style.

What I was talking about were articles that were 100% subjective with no link to the reader.

15. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 6 years ago

I make it an absolute rule to avoid personal stuff and keep my ego out of it.

Why only the other day I said to myself.  "Mark" I said because that is my name or nom de plom as they say, "Mark - you are brilliant.  But you need to avoid too much mention of yourself."

I asked my wife if she agreed.  She has left me of course but I am arguably allowed one call a month.  She didn't answer the phone.  Probably still trying to cope without me and my ego.

Anyway - back to me.  The best way to be a writer is to call upon your inner reserves of fortitude, courage and je ne de foie gras.  That way you can engage with the public - stinking fools though they may be - and educate them in whatever.

It was at HubPages that I honed my skills.

mod:  Rest of this garbage has been edited out to save server space.

big_smile big_smile big_smile

2. TessSchlesinger profile image61

You haven't lost one bit of your humour, Mark! smile

16. NateB11 profile image90
    NateB11posted 6 years ago

Seeing a drop in more than just HealDove articles now. I thought at first it was just the HealDove trouble, but I'm seeing a drop in traffic and SERP positions of some of my top earners. We'll see how this round goes this time around.

17. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 6 years ago

There has definitely been traffic volatility since HealDove.  It's a little odd since some sites are up.  My guess is there going to be some more near-term ups and downs.

The good news is ad rates are really good, so earnings are about the same across the network even if traffic is a little off.

We've been at this a long time and I always say, don't get too bummed when traffic goes down, or too happy when it goes up.  The nature of search engines is they are always changing.  We play the long game.  Make good long-term investments in content and things even out.

Are you seeing a reduction in traffic on Dengarden by any chance. I'd understand if you don't want to be specific with respect to the niche sites, but one of my articles on there that was ranking very high for some terms has now moved to the top of the second page (originally at number 3 in many cases), but page two is where it does deserve to be in these cases.

What I'm trying to say is that the search quality has improved for the niche I'm looking at and I continue to rank well for terms my article answers perfectly.

2. NateB11 profile image90

+1

18. paradigmsearch profile image60

Holy Hot Dog! Seeing a traffic crash & burn way beyond the usual Friday norm. And it's across the board, all sites. Switched back to HP Ad Program, since that does best when the traffic is low.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image93

It does look like the recent boom is over, but the bottom is not too low, so far...

19. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

It has been going up and down, but I've been lucky to have high Amazon earnings. Adsense also looks good. I am encouraaged, bt also hope to encourage others to recheck the "help" for a lot of good tips for improving your chances of growth. There have been a lot of good changes lately, but you have to pay attention.
    I'm glad I started many years ago when there were fewer "rules". I was able to post a lot of stuff--- then gradually bring them up to the more challenging standards.

20. Will Apse profile image88

Having a good Monday, trafficwise. Owlcation has taken off. Dengarden flourishes. Healdove still languishes, sadly...

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Good. Hoping September finishes with a bang. Might perk things up around here. Apparently I'm still optimistic, cuz I still keep publishing stuff.

There is a lot of flux at the moment and it is difficult to see a pattern, but my crab page is leading from the front with 600 views for the day. That is as close as I get to popular.

Should write more stuff about fidget spinners, I suppose.

For hubs, does it still take up to two years before Google decides it likes it?

Not on niche sites. But then you need a good page that covers a subject that has not already been done to death. Not so easy to find.

Also, my own definition of success is modest -- around 50 views a day.

You sure got that right!

21. eugbug profile image95
    eugbugposted 6 years ago

Traffic still down about 30% on last week, mostly from DenGarden. Not seeing much of a recovery yet. Unfortunate was traffic was actually climbing on some hubs, which exceeded any seasonal drop-off.
    Anyway fingers crossed
    https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13714817.jpg

On the plus side ad earnings are definitely sky high, just wish the views at least matched what I received last year at this time.

1. eugbug profile image95
        eugbugposted 6 years agoin reply to this

CPM shot up on Sunday which somewhat compensated. Hopefully that stays high!

1. janshares profile image93
          jansharesposted 6 years agoin reply to this

+1

22. paradigmsearch profile image60

Happy Hotdog! Earnings outstandingly back on track. Yet HP stats continues to say my traffic is total cr@p. I'm beginning to think HP stats has a glitch and is unintentionally underreporting. Wouldn't be the first time. If this keeps up, I might have to work up the energy to check Analytics.

Update.

I checked Analytics (whose new format I am not thrilled with).

Kind of hard to tell in the middle of the day, what with Analytics daily versus HP rolling 24. However, as near as I can tell, there are no glaring discrepancies.

Thrilled with the earnings, but working up to getting major depressed about the traffic. Of course, this is much better than if it were the other way around.

I'm going to have to drop by Wonderland and ask Alice how she does it.

Yeah, I'm amazed at the CPMs right now, that's what's stabilized the earnings even while traffic is down.

I look forward to what happens to the CPM once traffic recovers.

23. harrynielsen profile image89
    harrynielsenposted 6 years ago

Likewise.... my views got a big bounce on Sunday...Hope it stays

24. eugbug profile image95
    eugbugposted 6 years ago

Anyone seeing a recovery in traffic?

I've had a recovery, mainly on a different HP account from which most of my traffic doesn't come from HealDove. A bit of a recovery on this account, enough to make me feel better about it all.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60

Alas, no.

3. Chriswillman90 profile image91

Not really, maybe a little but still down this month over last year.

4. weezyschannel profile image88

No. It's the worst it has ever been and I am so discouraged... Earnings are zilch

Unfortunately you have what I assume is one article generating most of your views on the niche site that's been hit the hardest, so it's no wonder that earnings have plummeted.

I don't know what the long term plan is for that site and other YMYL sites, but a lot of that is out of our hands. You can only trust that the Hubpages staff can work within the Google algorithm and finds ways to sort out these issues, but it's not going to be a quick fix.

Many hubbers have suffered significant declines, I have as well, so it's going to be a tough haul for most of us.

1. weezyschannel profile image88

I have one on Healdove. Was doing fantastic and my earnings just from the one article was going up every day. It was actually high ranked with Google and I was impressing myself,  if you will. Now,  nothing.  I have lost over 1,000 views a day..

I hope HP can figure it out. Maybe move to another niche site?

It's not just HealDove. I have about 20 hubs on DenGarden and traffic suddenly dropped 30% overnight on all of them. Legend has it that there was a Google Update on 16th September.

I just looked at this page: hxxps://dengarden.com/gardening/Electrical-Safety-in-the-Garden-Using-an-RCD-GFCI-Adapter-to-Prevent-Shock-or-Electrocution

There is something close to duplicate content here:

hxxp://www.garden.ie/post.aspx?id=12965&idpost=43179

& here:

hxxp://abcgardener.blogspot.com/2015/09/electrical-safety-in-garden-using-rcd.html

There is also this:

2 of your articles (linked) that come up with a single search.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13726170.jpg

Those kinds of thing can create issues, in my limited experience. I didn't look at any of your other pages.

I deleted the article on garden.ie before publishing here but for some reason their 'delete' option mustn't have deleted it properly.
                I wasn't aware the article was copied at the 2nd URL. I often check for copies, but it's impossible to check every hub for plagiarization regularly. The problem is the article was copied from Ezinearticles when I had it published there. I later unpublished it and republished it on HubPages and it was moved to Dengarden, but the published date is after that of the copied article.

The two articles that come up in a search have closely related content so I may have used the same search phrase.

I would change the phrases you use that are common between the pages and sites, just to be on the safe
                  side.

If search is seeing them as similar, the various spam filter algos could see them as duplicate. Google has a thing about not letting anyone 'own the SERP's'.

Ok, thanks Will - I'll add it to my in-tray of things to do!

Moving to another niche site isn't likely to help.  The problem is that Google has become anxious about sites containing health-related information.   They know there's a lot of shonky health information out there, and they're trying to feature only reputable sites.    Recently Google adjusted their search algorithm to try to weed out the unreliable ones, and HealDove got caught by that.

One thing that HubPages is doing, to try to fix the problem, is requiring authors to add references to their HealDove articles. I looked at your dentures Hub and you don't have one single reference to back up your advice - maybe it would help to add some?

Even though I have had an interest in health since about 1982, I've decided not to write about it any longer.

Same here and for same reasons, both on HP and website. The Google God has spoken and we peasants must obey.

2. weezyschannel profile image88

Could you be a little more specific as to how I should reference?  Its my experience so not sure how I would reference.  Thank you!!

HP advises you use a properly cited list of references used in your article at the bottom of the article. I've even gotten edits where they wanted me to use references. Here's a couple resources:

https://hubpageshelp.com/standards/Lear … d_23699851

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/747/08/

https://hubpages.com/literature/Citing- … -APA-Style

In an email from an editor, I was told I should include this list of references at the bottom of the article:

" Please add sources for your information. This will boost the credibility of your article substantially. You can create a "sources" section at the end of your article to list all of the articles/websites/etc. you consulted. For each source entry, please include article title, date of publication (if listed), author (if listed), website name, date retrieved (i.e., the date you accessed it online), and a link."

The way I've been doing this is to create a text capsule titled "References" and then listing these references in the appropriate way and where I include a web site I make a url link to the article I've cited in the name of the web site. To make this link you highlight the text of the website name, click on the link icon, then type in the article url.

This may get clipped, but I'll give it a try. It's my hub on Green Apples in case the link gets clipped: https://caloriebee.com/nutrition/Green- … een-apples

You need to do exactly what Nate says, but an example always helps. Check out the numbers in boxes throughout the text. The numbers correspond to the number of the item in my References text capsule. I just use a regular text box with a numbered list.

This is interesting, because I've been given the opposite advice.   Maybe it depends on which niche site you're going for. 

For Healdove, I've been told to move the references into the text, as links (e.g.  "A study by SuchandSuch University found that blue doughnuts raised blood pressure" - in that case "blue doughnuts raised blood pressure" would be the link).

Yes, I have also been told that by editors. I thought it might have been a recent change of policy or different editors.

2. NateB11 profile image90

I'm thinking it's a difference in approach of editors. Although I suppose it's 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other; the edits give sources and both take around the same amount of work it seems.

5. theraggededge profile image96

Traffic increased over the year so far. I only have one hub on Healdove, so haven't been affected by the drop-off there.

25. Will Apse profile image88

Looking at the last year, I'm doing okay. Very good month for me financially.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13723151_f1024.jpg

Yeah, actually when I compare last year to this year, I'm still doing better now than I was last year. I notice January was a good month, will be interesting to see how it goes this next year during that month.

It's good to look at a longer range, across a year, puts it in perspective.

26. Sherry Hewins profile image93
    Sherry Hewinsposted 6 years ago

Traffic has continued to drop, although a bit more slowly.

I know the old 'traffic rises and falls and don't sweat it too much' mantra can be annoying when traffic is declining, but there is no reason to think it will never recover. The YMYL sites are a long term concern, and perhaps hard to get right, but the other niches are pretty solid.

27. Rock_nj profile image91
    Rock_njposted 6 years ago

I haven't seen a dropp off in views over the past month. In fact, with people back in school or work, I usually see more traffic during the fall than the summer.

28. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

Just mention a site and link to it. No need for fancy citations

29. paradigmsearch profile image60

Frankly, the wide swings in the traffic and earnings fluctuations remind me of my day trader days.

30. lobobrandon profile image90
    lobobrandonposted 6 years ago

If they are asking you to link in the text then it's not a citation. So they shouldn't advise to cite sources but to link to sources instead.

My original post was about adding references. I didn't use the word "cite".

I meant that is the word used in the email I received.

Ah, OK.   I wonder if they meant it in its exact meaning?   I've seen people talk about "citing sources" on HealDove articles when what they mean is, blue links within the text.  I can't swear that those people were editors, but I have certainly seen the word used loosely.

2. weezyschannel profile image88

Gotchya

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)