a milestone morning

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (39 posts)
  1. relache profile image68
    relacheposted 16 years ago

I woke up this morning and looked at my HubPages stats to see something I've been slowly watching approach for about a week now.

I got my 200th fan! 

Since July 31, 2006 when I built my first Hub, I've also....

- published 80 Hubs

- received 848 thumb's up

- had 586 comments left

- reached 635223 pageviews

- grown my HubPages earnings to $100/month

Thanks, everyone for visiting my Hubs, interacting and helping me do this!

2. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Congratulations, Relache! big_smile

Way to go! smile

3. C.M. Vanderlinden profile image64
    C.M. Vanderlindenposted 16 years ago

Congratulations!! It's so motivating to hear about good things like this happening. Thanks for sharing your milestone with us!

4. Zsuzsy Bee profile image84
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 16 years ago

Congratulations Relache!  That really is a great milestone to achieve.
    regards Zsuzsy

5. Paraglider profile image89
    Paragliderposted 16 years ago

Well done you! Great results.

6. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years ago

Congrats Relache!  It always fun to reach a milestone.

7. In The Doghouse profile image70
    In The Doghouseposted 16 years ago

Wow, you go girl.  That is a great accomplishment. Congratulations. It sounds almost overwhelming to a newbie like me!  lol

relacheposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Remember, you've been here three weeks now, and for me it's been a year and a half. 

My best advice is slow and steady, and quality over quantity.  I don't make hubs all that quickly.  I stick to stuff I really know, not stuff that is supposedly "adsense hot."  I try and make my retail offerings be things I'd actually use myself, not just a bunch of stuff that's expensive with the hope of nailing a big commission.

I don't obsess about HubScores going up and down, but I have worked over time to see if I could improve hubs that ranked lower.  Most of my hubs are ranked in the 70s or higher.  Some hubs really took some fine-tuning before I got them performing better.

A few other authors have hit the 1/2 million pageview mark, but they've got two to three times the hubs that I have.  That's just about the best confirmation I could get that I'm creating tightly-focused hubs that are useful to the readers.

1. C.M. Vanderlinden profile image64
        C.M. Vanderlindenposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Most of my hubs rank in the 70s or higher, as well, but I have a handful that are still languishing in the 60s, and one sorry one that hasn't broken the 50s. Does anyone have tips on things I can do to tweak them? Is it a matter of adding more content, more links, more capsules....or is it a "just try it and see" type of thing?

Any advice or ideas you guys have would be greatly appreciated smile

1. caspar profile image60
          casparposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Darkside has written a great hub on how hubscores work http://hubpages.com/hub/Hubscore - this should help you to improve your lower scoring hubs.

Relache - congratulations and well done!  You are an inspiration to us beginners, so thanks for sharing your milestone. cool

2. relache profile image68

I just started experimenting, or as I prefer to think of it, "playing" with the Hub.  Often I compare really high-ranking Hubs I have to my lower-ranking ones.  Is the original content as well-written?  Is the info I'm offering useful to the readers?  Do I have as good a variety of resources recommended?  Do I need to do some outside-HubPages promotion for that one? 

The trick is to not endlessly keep tweaking the Hub, but to make meaningful changes and then let it stay at the new level of improvement for a week or two to see if things really change or not.  If you change too much, too fast and too often, you won't be able to tell if the new things you are doing are helping or not.

1. C.M. Vanderlinden profile image64
            C.M. Vanderlindenposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Relache. I'm  going to  go back over some of my lower-ranked hubs  with these questions in mind!

Caspar---You're right---Darkside's hub is a great resource. Between his hub and Relache's advice, I have plenty to think about in terms of tweaking those old hubs smile

3. profile image0
          daflaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I got desperate and published a hub about my "lost hubs" with links to all the miscellaneous hubs that never got any traffic.  At least some people saw some of them, and maybe it made them want to read more.

Since most of my hubs are on frugality, no one ever sees the miscellaneous ones unless I do something to bring attention to them.

8. Patty Inglish, MS profile image86
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 16 years ago

Big congratulations!

9. elisabeth reid profile image67
    elisabeth reidposted 16 years ago

Those are some pretty impressive milestones...congratulations!!

10. singingmommy profile image74
    singingmommyposted 16 years ago

Wow! That is awesome. $100 a month how did you do that? It would take me 100 years the rate I'm going:.)

11. Peter M. Lopez profile image70
    Peter M. Lopezposted 16 years ago

Congrats, Congrats, Congrats.

12. darkside profile image57
    darksideposted 16 years ago

When I see a Relache authored thread with the word "milestone" in it I know it's a must read.

Congratulations!

13. kellyfilmgirl profile image59
    kellyfilmgirlposted 16 years ago

Nice work!!

14. Lissie profile image77
    Lissieposted 16 years ago

I cant believe  Iwasn't a fan- so now you have 201 fans!  Its inspiring to see you making reasonable money with hubs which arent about online earnings, marketing sex and SEO Well done -  you give the rest of us hope!

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 16 years agoin reply to this

What Lissie said!

15. Kenny Wordsmith profile image72
    Kenny Wordsmithposted 16 years ago

Congratulations, Relache! It's inspiring and well-deserved!

16. profile image0
    ysdataposted 16 years ago

That's Great news. big_smile

17. Betty Jo Petty profile image59
    Betty Jo Pettyposted 16 years ago

Good going!

18. bloggerdollar profile image75
    bloggerdollarposted 16 years ago

Congrats. With good effort I hope you will have earnings going higher.

If you don't mind I'd like to ask what is you avarage daily traffic and what is the daily traffic for your best hubs??

Based on what I've said here, if you take 635223 pageviews in 18 months that's a bit over 35,000 pageviews per month, which comes to a bit over 1,000 pageviews per day on average.

19. chabrenas profile image59
    chabrenasposted 16 years ago

An example to us all, Relache. Well done - you confirm my feeling that you can succeed here by posting only quality and originality, at a pace that suits you. 

CM Vanderlinden, I'm too lazy to sift through 101 hubs. Tell us which ones are the dogs and see if anyone here has suggestions for bringing them up to scratch. I'm sure we can all profit from the exercise.

20. ramesh profile image60
    rameshposted 16 years ago

congratulations relache..keep going..smile

21. spuds profile image58
    spudsposted 16 years ago

Well done Relache. You have made some great hubs.

22. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 16 years ago

Congrats! I can't wait to be as successful as you. I'm only at a little less than a quarter million pageviews and $1-3 a day, so I'm on my way... But a long way to go...

I try tweaking tags and adding some info that is somewhat relevant to the topic, but maybe not exactly point on. That may help more traffic with the 50 hub. I dunno... I still feel like a newbie. need to work on my hubs that score in the 60s and low 70s, but I think the only thing that will help them is traffic.

23. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

The other thing to take into consideration is hubpages' preference as to which type of hubs get promoted more than others. I am finding some of my hubs create higher scores than others when they have less traffic and are shorter etc.

I find my time spent more productively creating new ones using things I have seen to work from the old ones and certainly am not going to sweat a few low scoring ones.

Pretty much, nobody wants a Pork with Apples and Cider recipe (my lowest scoring one) , so no matter how much I "tweak" it, it's not going to get up there.

I know what you mean.  For me, that's Walking a Labyrinth and Seattle's Bumbershoot.

24. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

big_smile

Well, at least I know what a bumbershoot is now.

25. stephhicks68 profile image87
    stephhicks68posted 16 years ago

Congratulations!!  I can't remember if I am a fan, or not, but I certainly LOVE your writings.  And will count myself in.  Thanks for the extra tips and the reality check on how long it takes to be really successful here, and how carefully you work on your articles.

Thanks for "keeping it real!"  LOL.... Steph

26. C-Lee profile image61
    C-Leeposted 16 years ago

Congrats Relache!

It's encouraging to know that successful veterans also spend time reviewing and tweaking. With my whopping 4 hubs, I'm pretty amazed at how many times I check, read and rewrite. Don't get me wrong, as a most-of-the-time editor, I'm also thankful that the journey from brain to published medium is as confounding and convoluted as it is. But add to that the scoring and monetizing, well, like I said, I appreciate hearing from veterans like you.

C-Lee, I think the trick is to make meaningful edits, not just "keep doing stuff" to a Hub.  Also, the more experience I get on the internet, the more I look at longer-term benchmarks, like month to month, or comparing this year to last year.

27. luther profile image60
    lutherposted 16 years ago

That is AWESOME, I hope I can do the same in the future even though I have a long ways to go.  smile

28. Angela Harris profile image67
    Angela Harrisposted 16 years ago

Congratulations, Relache. You continue to amaze.
    I am really being inspired reading over everyone's milestones tonight. But you're definitely one of the masters at this Hubpages puzzle. Thanks for the included tips in this thread.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)