My hubs have been viewed 100,000 times....

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 54 discussions (88 posts)
  1. Aya Katz profile image84
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

And still I haven't gotten any money out of it!

What am I doing wrong? Anyone care to advise?

1. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you "just writing" or are you writing with the intent to make money?  There's a subtle but effective difference. 

http://hubpages.com/hub/Improve-Your-Hub-Earnings

Aya Katzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Relache, that's a good question! The answer is no to both possibilities. That is, no, I don't write with the primary intent of making money. I also don't write just to be engaged in the process of writing. I write because I have something to say. However, it would be really nice to make money as an indirect by-product of what comes naturally!

If there are a few technical tweaks, such as changing tags without changing content that would help, I am not at all averse to learning about it!

1. Misha profile image62
          Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, there is obviously a bit more to it than just tweaking your tags. There are two major things (aside from better-than-machine-generated writing) that define your success. Finding out what people are actually searching for in relation to your topic (keyword research) and making sure your pages appear on the top of search results for those terms you figured out in the first step (SEO). That's all. smile

I've reading up about appearing in top search results, but it seems that it depends on who is searching what the top search results are. (Google personalizes each individual's search.)

1. Misha profile image62
              Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are obviously reading the wrong text. Personalized search is a nice bell or whistle, but it gets bolted to the old good basic search results, and this is where you should start with. Try reading this one, it's the best text on the topic ever written IMO: http://www.seofaststart.com/

And stats are good now. I usually publish something like "CPM a bit higher then 0.6%" when I need to publish the stats. It is fine as long as it is not exact. smile

2. DonnaCSmith profile image82
      DonnaCSmithposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations! I can't imagine you haven't earned income yet - unless you haven't signed up for the any of the affiliate programs? Especially google adsense?

2. Sufidreamer profile image79
    Sufidreamerposted 14 years ago

Maybe one of the experts will jump on, but I suspect that you are not commercial enough.

I love reading your work, but I am not sure if people are going to click ads. My stories about Greece have generated very little revenue - concrete sealants, exterior doors and office cubicles fare much better.

Once I manage to find the time to write Hubs again, I plan to write one commercial Hub for every 'creative' hub.

Congrats on the 100 000! smile

I have some way to go, although the system ate over 10 000 views when they had difficulties sad

3. Rehma Jamshed profile image61
    Rehma Jamshedposted 14 years ago

Great Work Aya Katz!!

4. Laura du Toit profile image74
    Laura du Toitposted 14 years ago

Congratulations from a newbie who is 13 away from 1,000. Can't imagine what it must feel like to get to 100,000.

Let's hope that one of the expert Hubbers can give you some good advice as to why you have not generated any income yet.

Good Luck smile

Laura, thanks! Welcome to Hubpages! I've seen your name in a lot of posts recently!

It's been a long process for me, and I still haven't written one hundred hubs, so maybe I will find enlightenment at that landmark.

2. Paradise7 profile image68
      Paradise7posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ditto exactly, Aya Katz.  You aren't doing anything wrong if you got your hubs viewd 100,000 times.  I've been doing this for a couple of months and have about 3000 views, and I haven't made any money either.  I don't know that I want to commercialize my hubs.  I write about what interests me, and share it.  It's out there, for anyone who wants to read it, and quite a few people do.  I'm grateful for them and their feedback.

I'm not a commercially minded person, as far as writing goes.  That's OK, I think. Provided you have other sources of income, do we need to be?

Much luck in the future and good work! big_smile big_smile cool

Paradise7, thanks! And good point!

5. Aya Katz profile image84

Sufidreamer, thanks! I guess you are right and my hubs are not commercial enough.

I think the ones about nutrition and health are probably those that interest the most people, and according to the stats, I did generate two sales (of books on nutrition) at Amazon, but that has not been enough for them to cut me a check!

I really need to read your hubs about concrete sealants, both because I do use concrete in Bow's pen, and because maybe I can learn a thing or two about writing successful commercial hubs.

1. Sufidreamer profile image79
      Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am a long way from being an expert, but I wrote about 30 commercial hubs a few months back, using a few basic SEO tips from some of the successful commercial hubbers. I now make 1 - 3 dollars a day - the plan is to get to 100 Hubs, see which ones are doing well, and then check out Hubs by Darkside, MK, shibashake and Sunforged to maximise potential and rework a few things.

Won't happen for a wee while - paid work takes priority. smile

6. Aya Katz profile image84

Rehma Jamsheed, thanks!

7. Laura du Toit profile image74
    Laura du Toitposted 14 years ago

Good to move the goalposts when once you reach them.

I like your way of thinking. smile

8. emievil profile image67
    emievilposted 14 years ago

Congrats Aya. Here's to 1,000,000 views smile.

Thanks, emievil! I think that will take a long time!

9. Paraglider profile image87
    Paragliderposted 14 years ago

Congratulations - 100,000 is a nice number to reach smile

Thanks, Paraglider!

10. Francis911 profile image61
    Francis911posted 14 years ago

congrats. you are good.
    I have 41.

I'm very rookie.

give me some advice.

Francis911, thanks! Welcome to Hubpages! I've left you a comment on one of your hubs.

11. GeneralHowitzer profile image67
    GeneralHowitzerposted 14 years ago

Cheers, I hope Maddie will not spoil your party...

Thanks, General Howitzer! Not much of a party really...

12. earner profile image80
    earnerposted 14 years ago

Well done, I can't offer you any advice that hasn't been given already.  I'm up to about 84,000 so far.

In my personal opinion, if you're giving people all they need to know, they've no need to be enticed by an advert promising them the solution ... so I keep mine pretty vague a lot of the time.

I am not on hubpages to write the best stuff ever, I'm here to write passable hubs that might get somebody interested  in taking the subject or their interest further.

Good luck!

Earner, thanks! It's always good to see another hubber's perspective on the issue.

13. Chin chin profile image89
    Chin chinposted 14 years ago

Congratulations on the 100,000 view.  How did that happen?  What did you do to get traffic?  I'm pretty newbie in HubPages.

They do say more traffic means more income.  But if they don't click ads, or buy something? I think I should read on relache's hub also.

More power to you.

I didn't do anything to generate most of this traffic. The biggest traffic source was reddit.com, and they generated about 48,000 page views in a period of two days, several months ago.

Somebody at reddit linked to one of my hubs about Bow.

14. Carol the Writer profile image68
    Carol the Writerposted 14 years ago

On the other hand, there are other ways you might want to go instead of commercial. If you write human interest articles, see if they can be re-published in the features section of a magazine or newspaper. You can now approach editors and show that you can consistantly write quality articles and that they are popular.

I remember when W. Bruce Cameron wrote a short article called, "8 Simple Rules For Dating My Teenaged Daughter". That was made into a TV show. People like Erma Bombeck did great just writing thoughts. So don't feel that you have to go commercial. Instead, maybe send some of your best to places that pay. Even airline magazines, who knows? Tell them you've had 100,000 readers, and they will pay attention. - Carol

1. Frieda Babbley profile image81
      Frieda Babbleyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Personally, I think this is an excellent idea for you aya.  Seriously.  I think you'd be extremely popular.  This would be my advice, becuase of the content (which I am soooo loving by the by).
      Oh, and major congrats on the 100,000 views!

Frieda, thanks! I love your writing, too!

2. Aya Katz profile image84

Carol, thanks! That's encouraging. I'll keep thinking in that direction.

I have two novels I would love to find a publisher for, but so far I haven't been able to interest an agent.

15. thranax profile image73
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

Stupid question, you did sign up for Google Adsense and put the code in the affiliate spot right?

~thranax~

Yes, I did sign up for Google Adsense and put in the code in the affiliate spot. I checked it again today. On "status", it says "active." All my other codes, for Kontera and Amazon and so on, say "set". I don't know what the difference is between active and set.

I checked Google Adsense and it says that my "all time earnings" are $27.43.  They only register 42,511 page impressions, for some reason. I'll copy the stats below:

The long and the short of it is that until I get a pay-out, I don't consider that I've made any money.

16. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Actually it's a very good question Thranax. I did assume she did, but this might not be the case easily... smile

17. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

100,000 views and no money at all? I hope your next 100,000 brings you more money.

No actual money I can spend! Theoretically, about $27.00.

18. Choke Frantic profile image69
    Choke Franticposted 14 years ago

Congrats on the 100,00 page views! I hope you start generating some money soon.

Choke Frantic, thanks!

19. Carol the Writer profile image68
    Carol the Writerposted 14 years ago

I have 7 hubs and started one month ago and made 83 cents. Just saying for comparison. -Carol

Carol, I think you are doing much better than I am in terms of earnings per page view.

20. dohn121 profile image81
    dohn121posted 14 years ago

Congratulations, Aya!  You deserve it smile

Thanks, Dohn121!

21. lyla profile image60
    lylaposted 14 years ago

Congrats Aya! smile It's no wonder, as you have great hubs! smile

Lyla, thanks!

22. futurenetads profile image61
    futurenetadsposted 14 years ago

Congratulations

23. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

congratulations, must check some of your hubs out....

24. anjalichugh profile image69
    anjalichughposted 14 years ago

Great work Aya! 100,000 in 15 months is awesome. smile

25. Helen Cater profile image60
    Helen Caterposted 14 years ago

Congratulations Aya. There may be a simple solution to your problems if you were to take a little time doing some keyword search on your hubs. Relevant tags can also help. Try reading a few hubs on this subject and a little tweaking may bring you more organic traffic which equals more clicks and earnings. Use the google keyword tool if you have not already. Your hubs are great you may need them a little more search engine optimized.

26. tantrum profile image62
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

CONGRATS !! that's a lot of views! I only got about 1800. lol

27. Aya Katz profile image84

How do I remove them from a previosu post?

Okay, I removed the exact stats. I hope it's okay to share the number of page impressions?

28. soni2006 profile image76
    soni2006posted 14 years ago

Congrats Aya Katz. Best of luck for more views coming to your hubs.

29. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

You can edit it. And I will delete mine smile

30. BundleBoy profile image70
    BundleBoyposted 14 years ago

Aya Katz - First congratulations on the great achievement! It is a mammoth achievement really.

Writing hubs and writing hubs to make money are 2 different things. Do a lot of keyword research. Write on topics that get paid a lot by adsense.

I have learnt that hubs that get you a lot of hits might not be the hubs that make you money (not in all cases).Personally the best money making hubs for me have been the ones with very low hits.  so for me i have to disagree "more traffic means more income". Just my 2 cents.

31. Aya Katz profile image84

I am signed up with all of them, Adsense, Kontera, Amazon, eBay.

Some of my hubs have Amazon and eBay ads, when I was able to find products that went with my content.

Kontera used to place a lot of ads on my hubs. Now they don't anymore. I'm not sure why. It's possible those ads did not pay off!

32. profile image0
    LEWJposted 14 years ago

Hi AYA;  I know exactly how ya' feel.    MY hubs have been viewed over 12 million times already!
    I'm so happy I could just bust open and cry....

LEWJ, Wow!!! Twelve million times!!! That is a major accomplishment. Does any money come with that?

33. Aya Katz profile image84

Misha, that site you sent me to looks very commercial and a little bit scary. He wants my name and email address, then he'll let me download his book for free. What's he going to do with my name and email address? How does he make money off that?

1. profile image0
      LEWJposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I just got back to this here forum.    Money?     Oh, I reckon I musta raked in somethin' in the area of 1.5 million; my secretary keeps all the books.   And I've hired a detective to keep an eye on her.
      And TWO detectives to keep TWO eyes on him.       And 3 more detectives to watch 'em all!
      So I guess I'm doin' alrighty.... smile

Ha! Ha! Good for you!

34. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

Congrats, Aya! Remember when you got 10,000 pageviews? It's right after they started the medals and I wanted to know what people with 10,000 views wrote about and you were one of the hubbers I featured in a hub about people who get 10,000 pageviews.  I was so impressed (and still am) with you.  You've come a long way. 

At the time, I remember thinking how I thought 10,000 was a long ways away yet for me.  I just reached 90,000 pageviews today myself.  I'm on schedule to hit 100,000 in about 9-10 days. smile 

My suggestion on the money situation, check your Google Analytics and see which hub(s) are making you the money you've accummulated.  Write more hubs like those.  smile  That's what I've had to do.

KCC Big Country, thanks! I'm pretty impressed with your accomplishments, too, especially the current Hubber Score of 100! My health and nutrition hubs seem to earn the most, but believe me, they are not what got me the pageviews!

35. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Aya, I'm not expert whatsoever; but my own experience is that it is not my best writing that gets the best earnings.  Stuff I think of as my better writing combines to make up a percentage of my earnings.  The Hubs that earn are "nitty-gritty" Hubs about nitty-gritty things (like products or how-to's on anything from "how to whiten yellow nails" (eew, gross - but it was a request  :lol) to "how to cope with grief" (ooh - depressing, but it, too, was a request  smile  ).  I've been thinking that well rated "better written" Hubs may help with the overall Hubscore, and they do kick in to contribute to a portion of earnings; so I don't plan to delete them.  Still, if I had nothing but the stuff I think of as my better writing on here I know I wouldn't be seeing much money.

I think you ought to throw in a few Hubs about things you use/do in life - like the car or phone you use, how to keep such-and-such a thing "like new", some software you're using, credit-card tips, etc.  I've heard that technology and personal finances tend to attract higher-paying ads. 

Congratulations on the 100,000, though.  Excellent.

Lisa HW, thanks. My experience is like yours: my better written, quality hubs don't earn. And no, I won't be deleting them, because they are the ones that get me the traffic and the feedback that I appreciate the most. Overall though, you offered some good practical tips here, and I will try to implement some of them.

36. libra profile image60
    libraposted 14 years ago

Aya, I'd just like to repeat what somebody has already pointed out. I also looked at some of your hubs, and there are no adsense ads on most of them. Where you might expect adsense ads there are just blank spaces. (But the amazon modules do appear.)

For example:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Candy-from-Strangers
    http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-make-soda-pop

Do you think you might have ticked the "non-commercial" box when you made these hubs?

Might be worth double-checking.

37. Ladybird33 profile image67
    Ladybird33posted 14 years ago

That is great, 100,000 views, regardless if you are making money or not, that is a huge accomplishment!

Ladybird, thanks! Obviously, it's not the money that makes me keep coming back. I love to write and I love to interact with readers and other writers here on Hubpages!

38. Aya Katz profile image84

Libra, I see that you have a very good point. I don't know why there are no ads there. And why would there be blanks left open for ads, but no ads? Could it because of the content?

Where do I go to check if there is a non-commercial box selected somewhere?

39. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

100,000 - that's great! I'm shooting for that! Congrats!

Thanks, Habee!

40. Aya Katz profile image84

Libra, I checked my soda pop hub again and now it does carry Google ads. What do you suppose happened? I haven't changed anything.

Also, most of the ads are somehow related to Coca-Cola, but it's not a pro-Coke article...

41. libra profile image60
    libraposted 14 years ago

Go to edit your hub.  Under settings there is a pull-down menu for Ads, ranging from High to None. Check to see if you have selected High for your hub.

I checked your soda pop hub again twice - one time there were ads, and the second time there was none. I suspect ads appear during HubPages' share of impressions. As you know, they are supposed to show our ads 75% of the time, and  their ads 25% of the time (or something like that).

So if you have unintentionally or accidentally selected No Ads, I suppose that may be the reason why for 75% of the time, no adsense ads appear. And when ads do appear, any click will be credited to HubPages and not to you!

I don't know this for a fact; perhaps someone HubPages official can elucidate. But one thing is certain, to have blank spaces is abnormal!

42. libra profile image60
    libraposted 14 years ago

Aya, also make sure you tick the two boxes - "content meets the conditions of google adsense..." and "this hub may be considered commercial" - under Ads.

If you do all that, I am sure the ads will appear.

43. Aya Katz profile image84

Libra, thanks! I will follow your instructions to the letter and report back later with results.

44. Aya Katz profile image84

Libra, I did as you said. The ads were set to high already, and the boxes about content meeting requirements were all checked. Also, Kontera ads were enabled, but I've seen no Kontera links appearing on this hub.

So the mystery remains!

45. Paraglider profile image87
    Paragliderposted 14 years ago

Aya - Your choice of course, but I think Kontera ads are not where you want to go. You are writing quality stuff that should be read. You don't need irritating 'contextual' pop-ups distracting your readers. For me Kontera ads scream out "this person's only here for the money".

46. Aya Katz profile image84

Thanks, Paraglider. That is high praise indeed coming from you.

I'm just trying to figure out what is going on with my account, though. I haven't seen Kontera ads on my hubs in ages, but it seems it was their choice, not mine. Likewise, all the other ads that weren't there. I didn't miss them, because my hubs looked so much more stream-lined without that, but who decided this? It wasn't me.

47. bgpappa profile image78
    bgpappaposted 14 years ago

Regardless of the reveunue, you accomplishment is great.  Congrats.

48. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

a hundred thousand?

awesome. i have nothing to add since others already gave some great answers. good luck!

Thanks, Cosette! I'm still sorting out the answers, though.

49. Aya Katz profile image84

Bgpappa, thanks!

50. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

Your portfolio of hubs is way to good to be not earning at a better ratio.
    One thing thats helpful to keep in mind is that social traffic does not earn , visitors from those sites, dont click on ads, they click back to the service ( most frame the site you view).

So out of 100,000 views, 48,000 were doomed not to earn anyway(reddit)

With 50k views I would hope for only about twice the adsense earnings you report.

There are a few quick technical things you could do - I read a few and scanned through quite a bit more before answering this post,

move the pictures and other modules out of the right side of all the top text capsules

let lissie explain why
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Adsense-Placement

Your Titles can be changed - they effect which ads are being served, just by changing a few words in your titles and headers in your old hubs you can greatly increase the amount you get per click and possibly even traffic

Your hub:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Bow-and-Literacy

which is excellent!

But is titled badly to attract search traffic,

If i was interested in chimpanzee literacy, I would use the terms

chimpanzee literacy !
    chimp literacy
    chimp learns to read
    can chimps read
    How i taught a chimapnzee to read

stuff like that

using the adwords research tool

https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

trying terms like chimpanzee, literacy, development, cognitive

You will find a lot of term in 1.00+ per click land

Just using any of those terms in your text headers or hub title will result in higher paying ads being served

btw - no ads are being served on that hub either

Finally, I would say, your lack of earnings is a testament to how well you write, your readers want to read what you say, so they arent being distracted by little ads and leaving you - thats the way adsense works

your best bet is to get the most out of the few clicks you get(keyword tweaks) and work on their placement

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)