HubLove - Official Contest Thread

Jump to Last Post 51-100 of 673 discussions (834 posts)
  1. jimmythejock profile image84
    jimmythejockposted 16 years ago

If i for example won then the prize would be given to second place,.....jimmy

2. tbartle profile image60
    tbartleposted 16 years ago

What do you mean?  Because it isn't for the non-US?

3. Guru-C profile image76
    Guru-Cposted 16 years ago

Looking for clues!!!!

4. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 16 years ago

relache- commented on today's clue page. I think it's along the lines of non-US residence not only participating but being given points in the contest. They are able to keep the points unless they forfeit them to the next person below.

5. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

OK, thanks Whitney.

I can't play anyway. sad

6. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 years ago

Seems to me there is an easy solution to the situation Relache is complaining about. 

If people who are not eligible for the prize want to compete, let them.  Let them earn points like everyone else.  At the end of the competition, the highest ELIGIBLE Hubber wins the prize. 

That lets ineligible people compete for the glory if they want to.  It also means HubPages doesn't have to worry about establishing each Hubber's residency until prize-giving time.

7. profile image0
    helenathegreatposted 16 years ago

I completely agree with Marisa on this.  Let everyone compete even if only for the glory of the most points, then figure out who's eligible to win.

8. jaymz profile image78
    jaymzposted 16 years ago

I agree. Make it a community thing, and the highest eligible hubber wins. Either way we all indirectly win because of more traffic to the site in general. Lord knows more traffic wouldn't hurt my hubs. ;-) I'm just hoping the clues are varied in subject.

9. C.M. Vanderlinden profile image63
    C.M. Vanderlindenposted 16 years ago

I agree,  too. Makes it simple, lets everyone join in the fun.

10. HubPages profile imageSTAFF
    HubPagesposted 16 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Two things:

(1) Facebook and MySpace: I've added links to add the contest to your Facebook feed and MySpace bulletin on the HubLove contest page (to the right). It doesn't have the ability to insert referral trackers into them but you can put in a link with your referral tracker into the comment/description and ask friends to use that link instead.
    There are also links to Digg, reddit, StumbleUpon and del.icio.us; if you use any of those services, we'd appreciate the nod. smile

(2) About non-US entries: Now, not everyone is going to agree with this, but I think it's the fairest solution: any Hubber can compete and get points. At the end of the contest, the eligible Hubber with the most points will win the prize.

That means that yes, someone who will not necessarily be able to win the prize in the end, might grab the day's clue bonus and/or best-Hub bonus. If non-US Hubbers choose to sit those contests out, that's their choice. If they want to compete and keep the US contestants on their toes, they can do that too! We don't really know who is truly eligible to win until we ask for a legal affidavit to be signed, anyway.

In light of this, both Jimmythejock and tbartle will keep their 1 point for the clue bonus today. But going forward, only one Hubber will win the clue bonus for the day.

11. jimmythejock profile image84

How will we know when Yesterday's winning hub is announced....jimmy

12. Whitney05 profile image83

Keep us on our toes non-US members! ;-)

I wish everyone good luck with the competition.

I'm going into it with the idea that if I don't win, so sad, but it's not like I lost anything. If anything I gained hubs and hopefully traffic.

13. tbartle profile image60

Well, I like the competition so far.  I imagine the daily judge is going to need a lot of time to sift through all of the articles for the contest.

14. HubPages profile imageSTAFF

Sorry for the delay, everyone. We have to go through all the entries, winnow out those that are ineligible (too short, not on topic, not up to HubPages standards, etc.), pare those down to 5 finalists. We're now voting in our office among the finalists.

Will have something up in about 20 minutes, including an updated tally in the leaderboard.

15. tbartle profile image60

Are you planning on releasing who the runners up were every time?  It would be neat to know if I was at least in the running.  That would help to know if my writing was even in the ball park of what you want.

16. jimmythejock profile image84

The waiting is part of the fun guys but it is closing in on bedtime here lol.....jimmy

17. HubPages profile imageSTAFF

Okay, everyone, a winner was chosen: How to Show Love for Step Children by Chuck

Although we normally frown upon purely-personal Hubs, Chuck's story could be extremely useful for new stepparents who want to warm up to the new members of their family. Writing about love is almost impossible without a bit of a personal touch.

The runner up? On Love: The Metaphysics of the Thing We Call Love by Peter M. Lopez

This is not to say that there weren't other fantastic Hubs - we were all surprised by the quality of the submissions.

You can see the point tally on the HubLove contest page leaderboard.

Keep in mind that you could still potentially still earn 793 points (if you publish 10 eligible Hubs per day, and win the clue & best-Hub bonuses), so we're just starting this thing!

18. C.M. Vanderlinden profile image63
    C.M. Vanderlindenposted 16 years ago

Congrats Chuck and Peter!

19. stephhicks68 profile image86
    stephhicks68posted 16 years ago

Congratulations to both of you!!  WTG!

20. Whitney05 profile image83

Congrats Chuck and Peter....

HubPages- when will judges points be awarded?

21. HubPages profile imageSTAFF

I just made the leaderboard usernames linked to your profiles. We expect this contest page will develop some great backlinks, so we'd like to pass that on to your profiles.

Note that the leaderboard can only be so long so we'll only show the list up to a certain threshold each day - but no worries, we're keeping a tally of everyone's points.

Whitney05 - The judge's points will be added to the group of Hubs they judged. Since you're judging on February 23rd, for example, we'll add 5 points to your tally then.

22. Whitney05 profile image83

Cool, thanks guys.

23. Moonmaiden profile image68
    Moonmaidenposted 16 years ago

I just found out about the contest less than an hour ago. I feel like I'm already behind! Ack!

24. blessedmommy profile image80
    blessedmommyposted 16 years ago

Yeah for Chuck and Peter!!!  Great work guys! smile

25. singingmommy profile image74
    singingmommyposted 16 years ago

I am so happy for you two!!!!!!

26. David Francis profile image39
    David Francisposted 16 years ago

Seems a pity that this is only for hubbers in the US. Perhaps next time they will consider including all of us.

Regards
    David

1. HubPages profile imageSTAFF
      HubPagesposted 16 years agoin reply to this

We will. Unfortunately, it will have to involve a prize without financial value, since complying with contest rules from country to country hinges on giving out prizes.

27. profile image0
    Marye Audetposted 16 years ago

Hey great work guys!
    Really, so many of the submissions were excellent. smile

28. Peter M. Lopez profile image72
    Peter M. Lopezposted 16 years ago

Thank you guys so much.

29. jimmythejock profile image84

As the Judge for Sunday night, I would like to take this oppertunity to invite everyone to pay a visit to my Blog page where I will publish which 5 hubs made the finals with the  verdict on each of them after the results have been announced by hubpages.....jimmy
    http://hubpagesauthor.wordpress.com/

30. Talem profile image59
    Talemposted 16 years ago

Congrats Chuck and Peter. big_smile

31. HubPages profile imageSTAFF

Just a note that on day 1 (love) we had 62 eligible entries, and on day 2 (health) we had 81. We had a total of 195 entries tagged health, but there were a LOT of copied-content, spammy, too-short, off-topic or otherwise ineligible entries.

But the 81 that did qualify? WOW. The quality was phenomenally high. Really. I've sent Colleen the 5 finalists for her to choose from but it's not going to be easy. Narrowing it down to 5 was hard enough.

I sincerely hope there is a lifetime of payback for the great-quality Hubs you've created because they are detailed, enjoyable to read, and eminently useful.

We should have the winner announced in a little more than a half-hour, and the tally on the contest page updated. That list will only include participants with points above a certain threshold, since there are so many participants! (There will be a link to the full scoreboard)

1. Greg from Maine profile image59
      Greg from Maineposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I am not sure that I understand the rules. I submitted 10 health hubs that met all the requirements. I wrote them myself, thus they were original. They were directly on-topic. Can you explain why I only received 1 point?

Thank you.

1. HubPages profile imageSTAFF
        HubPagesposted 16 years agoin reply to this

The Hubs must be not only written by you, they must not be copied on any other Website.

1. Greg from Maine profile image59
          Greg from Maineposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Well, I did not copy them to any other website. Does that mean "anybody" can knock me out of the competition just by copying my hubs and posting them somewhere?

These were 100% original hubs I authored directly from my head and only posted to hub pages. So how is it that they were copied to another website?

1. darkside profile image66
            darksideposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I highly doubt the ability of anyone being able to rip off your entry and have it posted somewhere else and indexed by search engines in less than 24 hours.

32. HubPages profile imageSTAFF

DAY 2 WINNER

C.M. Vanderlinden (Colleen) had this to say:

"Winner: Protect Yourself from Medical Errors by Mystic Biscuit
    Runner-Up: A Brief History of Hygiene by Talem

I chose them both because while all five were well-written and packed with useful info, these two just had that little something extra. Mystic Biscuit's is an absolute one-stop resource for anyone preparing to receive medical care. Talem's was different, interesting, and provided a great timeline on how far hygiene has come."

So, both Colleen (as the day's judge) and Mystic Biscuit (as the best-Hub winner) have been awarded a bonus 5 points. MC7 has been awarded 1 point for being the first person to guess "health" correctly.

The leaderboard on the contest page has been updated! It's cut off at 2 pts at this point, with the full tally at the page linked to at the bottom of the leaderboard.

Talem's is very good and Mystic Biscuits is a freaking flagship hub!

1. stephhicks68 profile image86
        stephhicks68posted 16 years agoin reply to this

This is an amazing competition!  Congratulations again to today's winners. smile

2. C.M. Vanderlinden profile image63
        C.M. Vanderlindenposted 16 years agoin reply to this

That's exactly what I thought while I was judging, Darkside smile

I can't even tell you guys how good all five hubs were. I think it's completely awesome that we have such talented writers here on Hubpages.

Congrats, Mystic Biscuit and Talem!!

33. Talem profile image59
    Talemposted 16 years ago

Congratulations Mystic Biscuit.  Your hub was very informative, and relatable.  Thanks for runner up status colleen. <3

34. HubPages profile imageSTAFF

This Hub:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Quit-Smoking-For-Better-Health
    "Take notice when and why you smoke. Try to find things in your daily life that you often do while smoking (such as drinking your morning cup of coffee, etc)."

Has the same text as:
    http://www.quitsmokingsupport.com/beforeyouquit.htm
    (among many other Websites)
    "Notice when and why you smoke. Try to find the things in your daily life that you often do while smoking (such as drinking your morning cup of coffee or driving a car)."

Since we're checking for duplicates manually, when we notice an obviously invalid entry like this one, we stop assigning points to the author.

35. Greg from Maine profile image59
    Greg from Maineposted 16 years ago

Ok, Now I understand. One sentence from one hub was very similar to another sentence somewhere else. And because that one sentence was almost identical, all of my hubs didn't receive any score towards the contest.

Now I understand.

Thank you.

1. Whitney05 profile image83
      Whitney05posted 16 years agoin reply to this

Not to stir up anything, but it was more than similar to another website, it was near word for word. You can check your hubs but randomly picking sections and copying them into a search engine to see if any of it is closely similar to another website. It will help you rework what sentences and sections are similar. I like to grab the last half of one sentence and the first half of the next and choose 3-5 sections like this throughout my hubs and check them myself. It helps when you research a topic, and you want to make sure that your hub is different than they sites you used as research.

I can see that too, but what happens with todays challenge? Jokes?

36. Whitney05 profile image83

I have a question... In terms of today's clue. What's the best way to grab jokes and put them in your hub without them not being original or not considered duplicate info?

Most of the jokes that I know are from ones I've seen in emails and on websites. I just don't want to put in the effort and end up not getting my point because it's copied from another source. And rewriting a joke is a delicate procedure, so to get the punch line accurate.

37. Whitney05 profile image83

Darkside, I'm not quite sure what you mean... :-\ Unless it's somewhat in regards to what I asked a few minutes ago. With jokes and replicating jokes from other sites.. Kind of makes things hard.

I didn't see your post above mine before hitting submit but my question is the same as yours.

I can understand if they set aside the duplicity rules when it comes to jokes. I was just wondering if there'll be an official word on it or do we all get hit with the naughty stick smile

38. Talem profile image59
    Talemposted 16 years ago

That is my exact concern....I have about 30 yo momma jokes that I've memorized, but they can be found on the internet

And that would be considered duplicating. So I guess that is out?  Unless we make our own jokes.

39. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 16 years ago

Also... how does a person submit their entry?

Do they run a filter to see what hubs published today have "jokes" as a tag? Thereby it's automatic, or do we need to submit each hub?

40. Jason Menayan profile image59
    Jason Menayanposted 16 years ago

darkside - all you have to do is publish it within that 24 hour period and have the appropriate tag.

Re: Jokes. The rules state that the work must be original. There are plenty of "public domain" jokes without ownership, of course, but each joketeller tells it in a slightly different way. If you choose to interpret this topic as a list of jokes, then you should be able to compile jokes across a certain theme and write them as if you were telling them to someone else, not reciting them.

Here's an example of jokes that are in the public domain but have been retold in a way that makes them unique:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Old_people_jokes

I like to ask questions so there's no shadow of doubt big_smile... we can have other tags? Not just "jokes" (in this instance).

1. MC7 profile image65
        MC7posted 16 years agoin reply to this

yes, you can have as many other tags as you want -- you just have to include the tag for the day's topic.

41. Whitney05 profile image83

Jason, that retelling the joke in your own words works if it's longer than a question/answer joke.   I thought about doing a fun composition of kid's jokes, but the only ones I could find were knock,knock jokes and question/answer jokes. I gave up on that idea.

42. stephhicks68 profile image86
    stephhicks68posted 16 years ago

These questions on jokes are exactly what I was going to ask.  I am trying to incorporate my own original content, while also having some funny stuff that I know is not my own.  I figure that will take more work than copying and pasting work from other people into a single compilation, even if really well put together and funny.  Thanks for the directions.

43. Whitney05 profile image83

Jason, or any of the hubteam, I'm doing a hub about a comedian, and incorporating some of his jokes and stand up routine. But, how should I go around not being duplicate, as I don't want to reword his routine.

1. stephhicks68 profile image86
      stephhicks68posted 16 years agoin reply to this

Whitney  - how about including some information about the comedian in your Hub?  When he started, what his topics are and some other interesting stuff?  Then, you can intersperse the jokes and routines.  That's what I tried to do with my hub on Gary Larson.  Just my 2 cents...

44. Whitney05 profile image83

Thanks steph, I do have other information about him, as well as videos, pictures, and links. I just like the idea of doing a quotes section.

45. Talem profile image59
    Talemposted 16 years ago

I made a general humor around the world article about humor in specific areas of the world and its trends.

There is one section that has the 4 top rated jokes in the world, and I put a disclaimer there that the source was from wikipedia.

Hubpages has put a warning on it, and wondering if it can be verified before the end of this segment 0_o.  IThere is just one section that is the winning jokes, exactly word for word....because changing the wording would lose it's effect.

46. HubPages profile imageSTAFF

Talem - By the time I looked at it, it was already back down to 0 dupes. Well done!

Whitney05 - You can see if the dupe checker is determining an issue with duplicates with your Hubs by looking at the top. Your "More funny jokes" has enough duplicated content to be registering a positive dupe number, so it is ineligible. You have 35 minutes to rewrite it in your own words. Flag it as duplicate immediately afterward so the dupe checker can recheck it.

1. Whitney05 profile image83
      Whitney05posted 16 years agoin reply to this

The top of what exactly?

I changed the "More funny jokes" hub up a bit, and flagged it. How do I know if it'll be ok?

2. MarloByDesign profile image79
      MarloByDesignposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Is the dup checker in the preview mode (before you publish). I never do this - I just search (the title of my Hub) before I publish. Any advise would help.

47. Talem profile image59
    Talemposted 16 years ago

Thanks very much for the prompt reply.

48. HubPages profile imageSTAFF

In the notification pane at the top of the Hub, where it says EDIT, etc. it will tell you if there are any duplicates detected.

I'm afraid if that number is above 0, the Hub will not get a point for the contest. The text has to be wholly reworded to avoid that risk.

There have been a few Hubs that are no longer showing duplicates (incl "More Funny Jokes") so you guys must have reworded them enough. Nice job!

49. jimmythejock profile image84

I know nothing about football guys can i write about soccer?.....jimmy

50. Whitney05 profile image83

Guys, you say the hints will be getting harder, will the topics be getting more complicated, as well?

I HATE sports! I'm going to have to dig deep for today's hubs.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)