HubMob Weekly topic: St David and everything Welsh

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 67 discussions (118 posts)
  1. Princessa profile image82
    Princessaposted 14 years ago

Hello everyone, I hope you all had a wonderful Valentine's weekend and a very auspicious start for the Chinese New Year.  First of all a big thank you to all of you who took part in last week's HubMob we have a total of 28 hubs published.

The special mention this week goes to Chuck and his assistant Chika  who published three hubs on last week's topic.

1) Problems Arise as First Day of Chinese New Year Festival Celebrations Conflict With Valentines Day

2) Year of the Tiger - Chinese New Year 2010 and Other New Year Observances Already scoring 100 !!!

3) Will the Currently Endangered Tiger Become Extinct Before the Next Year of the Tiger?

As last week we HubMobbed about the Chinese New Year and Chinese culture, this week we travel towards the West to stop in: Wales.  Technically a small principality of the United Kingdom, on the 1st of March they will be celebrating St.  David's day, the patron saint of Wales.  To join in the celebrations we are going to HubMob this week about St David and all things Welsh.  Because it is such a wide topic I will ask you to pay special attention to the category where you put your hub.  I will put the request under celebrations and St. David but please feel free to change the category according to your topic.

http://i48.tinypic.com/c4w92.jpg

Some ideas for a Welsh HubMob hub are:

St.  David's Day
    Wales' national dress
    The Welsh flag
    Welsh emblems
    Facts about Wales
    Famous Welsh people
    Major cities in Wales
    Places to visit in Wales
    Traditional Welsh food and drinks
    Customs and traditions
    Welsh history

To join this week's HubMob please follow the steps below:

1. YOU MUST START YOUR HUB CLICKING THIS LINK.  Choose the Answer the Request green button.  Choose the MAKE A HUB ABOUT IT option. 

2. Choose a relevant title for your Hub to get a good ranking in the search engines, AVOID starting your title with "Weekly HubMob"

3. If necessary change the category on your hub to best suit your topic. 

4. Include the HubMob RSS Feed in your hub: http://hubpages.com/question/38568/hubm … ew&rss  For more information on how to add the RSS feed to your hub you can click here

5. Add the HubMob graphic below to your hub so that everyone who reads it will know that it is part of the official HubMob topic of the week.

http://i43.tinypic.com/rup3mg.jpg

6. After you publish your HubMob Hub, come back to the forum and post a link to your hub with a brief description of what you wrote about and why.  Take advantage of the free publicity!

If you are still not sure about what is a HubMob and the benefits of taking part in one I created this guide http://hubpages.com/hub/What-is-a-HubMo … o-join-one  please feel free to come up with any questions if you have any doubts left.

Have fun!!!

1. vox vocis profile image82
      vox vocisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This hub is not about famous Welsh people but it is about famous people and what they said in comparison to Saint David's last sermon...

http://hubpages.com/hub/Famous-people-w … from-Wales

2. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

I don't know anything about Wales, or know anyone or anything Welsh. This should be a lot of fun. I'm in!

3. Princessa profile image82

The first HubMob hub has been published this week by: http://hubpages.com/profile/china+man  Well done China Man smile

1. profile image0
      china manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for comment, undeserved as it is a little boring I think LOL   You posted it up just as I working on a book where that was part of the research - just had to write it down, no real work. This is a good idea, my stats were pretty non-existent and have taken a big hike from this. Cool and thanks for the site.

4. Money Glitch profile image64
    Money Glitchposted 14 years ago

Hhhhmmmm, Interesting! I'm with Flightkeeper, I don't know a thing; but it should be fun and educational smile

1. cashmere profile image77
      cashmereposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with both of you. Have no clue about Wales. Will have to read up some before a hub can emerge.

5. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

I hope to contribute, considering I live in Wales. Problem is, I'm inundated with work at the moment.
    Just a heads-up, I did do a hub on Welsh love spoons for the Romance hub-mob. I know it can't be included here, but thought I should mention it.

Princessaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the heads up.

I hope you manage to contribute this week.  Remember that if you do you can always add a link from your new "Welsh hub" to your previous Welsh love spoons Romance hub.

6. ethel smith profile image84
    ethel smithposted 14 years ago

http://hubpages.com/hub/Dame-Shirley-Ba … r-Bay?done
    There are just so many great Welsh performers who are very underrated

7. ethel smith profile image84

http://hubpages.com/hub/Max-Boyce-Rugby … omedy?done

I don't know how many of you will have heard of Max Boyce. Hope you can understand him on the YouTube clips smile

8. Anath profile image61
    Anathposted 14 years ago

I am in this week smile

9. profile image0
    china manposted 14 years ago

There are a few people writing poetry in hubs and occasionally in the forums. I doubt if there is any commercial benefit but maybe you could think of a weekly poetry topic - either as hubs or just in the forums but under hubnuggets or something else that keeps it at the front page. Maybe it is something that would grow.

Just a suggestion - otherwise I could just start a poetry post and resurrect it now and again I suppose.

1. cashmere profile image77
      cashmereposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I usually post my poems on Triond. Its a very creative and artistic community there. Also very supportive. Hubpages has more diversity in its community. maybe you should give triond a shot.

2. rmcrayne profile image89
      rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hello china man.  You could post in the "Report a Problem or Suggest a New Feature" forum.  If you do not get a response from HubPages staff, you could message pauldeeds or larryfreeman.  Have you posted on the "Books and Writing" Forum?  Finally, you could message one of our veteran HP poets like manlypoetryman or tantrum.

1. profile image0

Hi rm - no I haven't put any of my stuff on here. This was really in response to how I see others intermittently put on poems and get intermittent responses. But people are still writing poetry and it is helpful if it can be put up for crit and comment before a hub is made.

Hi Cashmere - I think a poetry site might be too harsh for many people who are writing their own version of poetry without any idea of rules or background, the occasional working poem appears to be the exception.

And anyway these are our poets aren't they, and they seem to want to share with us, shame to send them off somewhere else maybe less sympathetic and supportive ? smile

3. Princessa profile image82

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll pass it on to the HP team.

10. alexandriaruthk profile image69
    alexandriaruthkposted 14 years ago

I will join this week

1. rmcrayne profile image89
      rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

I hear ya china man.  I joined my local Writer's Guild before stumbling onto HubPages.  Sometimes I'd like that honest critique and editing.  Sometimes it's hard for me to turn off that honest critique editing!

2. janiek13 profile image76
      janiek13posted 14 years ago

My hubmob is about Tom Jones in honor of my mother.

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Songs-Of-We … -Tom-Jones

3. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 14 years ago

can i make my hub about christian bale since he's welsh?

Anything and anyone Welsh is hot this week smile

1. profile image0
          Stevennix2001posted 14 years agoin reply to this

thanks princessa.  I appreciate you answering my question.  hey are we going to do another valentine's hub mob thing next year?  because I already have a few ideas for next year that I didn't add this year.

Indeed Princessa will have to answer that one. 

You can still start hubs from this year's HubMob Romance HubMob link, if you want them "aged" by next Valentine's Day.  Just shoot me an email if you decide to go ahead with them, and I'll add them to roundup hub.

1. profile image0
              Stevennix2001posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ok. i'll definitely keep it in mind then.  i just didn't want to use all my ideas; just in case you guys rotated some of these topics every year, so i can always have something original to come up with.

Steven I have wondered also if some topics recur, but I think HubMob has only been around a little over a year.

2. Princessa profile image82

I am very sorry but I cannot answer your question.  I don't really know if the HubMob is going to continue for that long or if I'll stay here for that long.   

Like rmcrayne said, you can always write a Valentine's day hub for the Romance HubMob at any time so it gets "aged" for next year.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
              prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ms Princessa and Rmcrayne here is my contribution for this week

http://hubpages.com/hub/Best-and-Famous … esses?done

thank you

4. iantoPF profile image80
      iantoPFposted 14 years ago

I've already written a Hub on Saint David;
      http://hubpages.com/hub/Saint-David-Pat … t-of-Wales

Can I include it. If not it's there to give ideas.

1. Money Glitch profile image64
        Money Glitchposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi iantoPF

Sorry but you cannot use a hub previously published for this week's topic. The main reason is that it has to be linked to the the thread that Princessa provided at the beginning (#1 You must start your hub here by clicking this link).

You can however write another hub here and reference the hub you've already written. Let's us know if you have any other questions! big_smile

5. Rose West profile image78
      Rose Westposted 14 years ago

I wrote my hub about famous writers from Wales. Who knew all of these people have Welsh blood?
      http://hubpages.com/hub/Famous-Welsh-Pe … from-Wales

Hi Rose, did you know that this is only your 4th HubMob Hub but between the 4 of them they do have almost 7000 views a week?

6. febriedethan profile image80
      febriedethanposted 14 years ago

This is my contribution for the St. David's Day

http://hubpages.com/hub/St-Davids-Day-T … nal-Dishes

enjoy...smile

1. alexandriaruthk profile image69
        alexandriaruthkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am thinking about what to share this week

7. alexandriaruthk profile image69
    8. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 14 years ago

Ummmm... putting on my thinking cap!  I wonder how I am going to approach this one?

1. profile image54
        marqthompson17posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

2. prettydarkhorse profile image62
        prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

Thank you Rmcrayne for your email!

3. ethel smith profile image84

http://hubpages.com/hub/Welsh-National-Dress?done
        Hi I thought that the Welsh National Dress may be new to some readers.

4. Rose West profile image78
        Rose Westposted 14 years ago

Isn't everyone supposed to wear leeks on St. David's Day?

Current trend is daffodils, as leeks are considered to be associated with political defiance.

1. profile image0

I have to disagree with you on this - i believe there are two major reasons, the first is that Daffodils are a growing part of the flower- trade which has a sound marketing policy and national coverage, while leeks are just a veg!   Secondly leeks stink like an onion and who would want that pinned on their best frock or suit at work !

1. Rose West profile image78
              Rose Westposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I must say I would rather wear a daffodil than a leek. Leeks are just so... yeah, not exactly pretty attire. Daffodils now are some of my favorite flowers. But if I were a Welsh purist who didn't care about smelly accessories, I'd stick with the leek because it's tradition!

2. rmcrayne profile image89

Oh I have no special knowledge of Welsh culture china man!  It was just something I read today while prepping to do the roundup hub.

1. profile image0

Sorry - no intention of causing Welsh dis-harmonies!

I lived on the west coast of Wales, at New Quay, from about 1998 to 2005, had a pub for half that time, also at University in Caermarthen and worked for the government for a while in Aberystwyth. From my own experience, wearing the daffodil was very popular as the Welsh are a very patriotic race, often more patriotic when ex-pat. As Ianto says in his excellent hub, worth a good read, different types of people tend to wear one or the other, and yes the leek does seem to be more associated with politics. The different parts of Wales have different ideas, being far more 'pure' in the North and more cosmopolitan in the south. In the south end I saw people wearing a leek maybe ten times in seven years, but everyone (and his dog) wore the daffodil. Maybe Rightangle can tell us what people do in the 'valleys'?

1. WriteAngled profile image74
                  WriteAngledposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Heh, heh, they probably carry big plastic inflatable leeks and bop people over the head with them big_smile

I've not actually experienced St David's Day in the Rhondda yet. My first one was spent worrying about hospital test results and impending major surgery. My second one was spent in Cardiff at the parade, where I was one of the volunteers carrying a massive flag all the way to the Senedd. I got to sing Mae hen wlad fy nhaddai (the Welsh anthem) twice, which was great because I had spent months learning it.

I'm really frustrated. I have ideas for about 10 or more Welsh hubs, but am so tied up with a book index, I can't do them. My massive hub will be split into three, because it's already touching 4000 words.

Don't stress about this WA!  I frequently have leftover ideas after the next HubMob topic has been released.  Some of them I go back to, and some I have not yet. You can always continue to start your hub from the HM topic links.  Princessa never closes them.  And even "St David's Day", which you might think is only searched around this time of year, shows a global monthly search of 27,100 according to AdWords.  So I wouldn't worry about the timing of when you get these hubs done.

5. Flightkeeper profile image66
        Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago
      6. rmcrayne profile image89

Your St David and everything Welsh HubMob roundup hub.  We currently have 9 hubs. 

St David’s Day and Other Welsh Culture Highlights

http://hubpages.com/hub/St-Davids-Day-Welsh-Culture

The Welch culture brims with history, customs, and traditions, including celebrations like St. David’s Day.

Thank you RM, I hope you are feeling better now.

7. WriteAngled profile image74

I've nearly finished a Welsh hub. It's proving a bit of a marathon, will probably be 3000+ words by the time I finish. Hope to get it up within the next 24 hours.

WOW!  Are you sure you don't want to make it 2 or 3 or 4 hubs, and interlink them?

At any rate, I look forward to seeing your hub/s!

8. iantoPF profile image80
        iantoPFposted 14 years ago

I've taken advice and written another Welsh hub. this is my first for HubMobs. probably not the last.

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Welsh-Americans

On the controversy there; Kids in school wear real Leeks and then it's only the boys. Girls and politicians wear Daffodils. I explained the story of the leek in another Hub. As for the Daffodil, The Welsh word for Leek is "Cenhinnen" The Welsh for Daffodil is "Cenhinnen Pedr" or Saint Peter's Leek, hence the connection. Most adults, myself included, wear an imitation Leek on March 1st so we don't stink.

1. Rose West profile image78
          Rose Westposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Interesting info about the Welsh words for leeks and daffodils. Makes sense now. Imitation leeks, now there's an idea smile

2. Princessa profile image82

http://i36.tinypic.com/2ik3vvk.jpg to the HubMobs!

9. ethel smith profile image84

http://hubpages.com/hub/Welsh-National-Dress?done
        I thought I had published this Hub yesterday but hadn't. Whoops. Had probelms with the down time etc.

10. ethel smith profile image84

http://hubpages.com/hub/Richard-Burton- … Actor?done
        Tribute to the late great Richard Burton

11. alexandriaruthk profile image69
      12. Sue Adams profile image94
        Sue Adamsposted 14 years ago

Here is my first one about:

http://hubpages.com/hub/living-in-rural … age-part-1

It took ages to do because of the pictures. I'm hoping to write a few more Hubs about my adventures in Wild Wales before the end of the week.

I wish I can come up with another article to contribute this week,

No one has written on St David's Day yet.  The keyword phrase "St David's Day"  gets 27,100 global searches per month according to AdWords.

2. ethel smith profile image84

I'll give it a go

3. ethel smith profile image84

http://hubpages.com/hub/St-Davids-Day
          Hope this is ok rmcrayne smile

Excellent ethel!  Thanks for doing the first St David's Day hub.

4. Tenerife Islander profile image67
          Tenerife Islanderposted 14 years ago

I am from Wales and born and bred in Cardiff even though I now live in Tenerife. Many of you will know me as the Bard of Ely. Perhaps I should write a hub about myself for this? lol

Hello Bard!  By all means write a hub.  I'm sure many hubbers would appreciate your perspective!

5. dfelker profile image82
          dfelkerposted 14 years ago

I re-wrote this tale for my daughter, who loves dragons and stories of the olden times when magic still dwelt on earth...
          http://hubpages.com/hub/Legend-of-Dinas-Emrys

6. Bard of Ely profile image80
          Bard of Elyposted 14 years ago

I have done my first Hubmob hub about my memories of St David's Day as a child:
          http://hubpages.com/_uq6h62db2t97/hub/S … chool-days

7. WriteAngled profile image74
        8. rmcrayne profile image89

HubMobsters, your roundup hub has been updated.  We now have 22 hubs! 

http://hubpages.com/hub/St-Davids-Day-Welsh-Culture

9. Sue Adams profile image94
          Sue Adamsposted 14 years ago

And here is the 23rd!
          More adventures from rural Wales:

Living in Rural Wales Part 2 - Tarmac and Snow

http://hubpages.com/hub/living-in-rural … c-and-snow

From the horse's mouth

Actually this was number 22.  I pull all the hubs directly from the RSS feed.  smile

10. Money Glitch profile image64
          Money Glitchposted 14 years ago

O.k. Here's mine this week...

Wales and St. David's Celebration
          http://hubpages.com/hub/Wales-and-St-Davids-Celebration

Glad to know there are more articles now!

11. SimeyC profile image88
          SimeyCposted 14 years ago

Here's mine - a really yummy recipe taking advantage of the best lamb in the world - Welsh Lamb....

http://hubpages.com/hub/Traditional-Wel … Lamb-Chops

12. TnFlash profile image60
          TnFlashposted 14 years ago

I chose to write a Hub about Welsh Gold.  It is extremely rare and valuable. The Welsh gold has a unique pinkish color due to deposit of copper in the area surrounding the mines. It has traditionally been used in wedding rings for the Royal family since before the rein of Queen Elizabeth II. This unique gold was used in the wedding rings of Prince Charles and Princess Diana.

The real reason I picked this topic is, at heart, I'm a frustrated  Pirate and Treasure Hunter.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Rare-Welsh-Gold … -Gold-Mine

13. N. Ramius profile image74
          N. Ramiusposted 14 years ago

I have finally done a hub and been able to submit it on time! I give you Black Bart Roberts, the Welsh Pirate.

14. KCC Big Country profile image83
          KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

This is my contribution.  It's just a few travel photos and my experience visiting Wales in 2006.

My Visit to Wales

15. rmcrayne profile image89

Go Medieval!  Wales Castles (with Videos)

http://hubpages.com/hub/Medieval-Wales-Castles

The relatively tiny country of Wales boasts over 400 castles.  Included in this hub are Wales castles Beaumaris, Cardiff, Conwy, Harlech and Raglan.

16. Princessa profile image82

Hey, the Welsh HubMob is having a great response.  Your hubs are featured hubs for the Bristish Holidays category and some of your hubs are already featuring in Google's first page... and all that in less than a week!!!
          Have a look on the category page:
          http://hubpages.com/topics/holidays-and … idays/2634

http://i45.tinypic.com/30ddqpf.jpg

1. profile image0

whoever would have thought this one would be popular !

17. ethel smith profile image84

It just goes to show what a HUGE country Wales is in its own small way smile
          Here is another HubMob this time about Charlotte Church
          http://hubpages.com/hub/Charlotte-Churc … dette?done

18. profile image52
          NATS30367posted 14 years ago

Hi
          Enjoyd your pages

19. ethel smith profile image84

Thanks Nat.
          Wales is such a rich topic. My hubs seem to be coming fast and furious. Just as well as I will be away for a few days when I have my eye surgery.
          Here's another one http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Investiture … e-of-Wales

Hi ethel, good job this week, take care and hoping you well with your surgery

20. WriteAngled profile image74

Just a quick heads-up on the Investitute hub, Ethel. You might find it will get some negative comments. Very many people in Wales are extremely angry about having someone of English-German-Greek descent called their "prince".

1. profile image0

When I was there enough of them were very angry that an Englishman was running one of their pubs let alone their Prince being some kind of european hybrid!  LOL

21. ethel smith profile image84

Perhaps I should have underlined my saying that I am not a royalist. However currently they are a fact of life in the UK. I know that they are foreigners really lol.
          Hopefully people will vote on the work in my hub not the subject matter. Thanks for the good wishes for my surgery smile
          Well I have another Welsh hubmob so let's see what you guys make of this one.
          http://hubpages.com/hub/Welsh-Coal-Mini … n-the-past

22. ethel smith profile image84

Just remembered. Does anyone fancy doing a hubmob about Edward and Mrs Simpson as he was another Prince of Wales failure?

I'd definitely be interested in reading one!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
        Necessary
        HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
        LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
        Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
        AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
        HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
        HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
        Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
        CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
        Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
        Features
        Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
        Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
        Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
        Marketing
        Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
        Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
        Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
        Statistics
        Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
        ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
        Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
        ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)