My 2 Month Hubaversary! 100 Hubs and 100 Lessons Learned!

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 58 discussions (83 posts)
  1. DJ Funktual profile image76
    DJ Funktualposted 16 years ago

Newcomers to the HUB, I welcome you!  Old-timers, I thank you!

This is a great place to write, read, learn and think about more writing, reading and learning.  tongue  To those of you who just awoke from a writing slumber, this is a great place to get sharp again.  As much as I knew that I didn't know what the hell I was doing, the people of this community poked and prodded me forward when I needed it. 

You will discover (as i just recently have) that being friends with Hubpeople is great and they are a nice bunch, but if you want to succeed in this world, you better have thick skin.  If you want everyone to answer every little question you have but you didn't bother to read any of the info available to you...look out! 

These are some of my many lessons here at hubpages that newcomers might benefit from hearing.

1)  Don't use the forums to promote your own hubs, use them to make your hubs better. 
    2)  Tweaked all your old hubs regularly, it can be more important than you realize!
    3)  Don't act like a crybaby or you will get spanked.  If you do something wrong and people call you out on it, don't fight back out of insecurity...let it go, let it grow...
    4)  The moderator is NOT out to get you.  Relax. Deep Breath.  Try again.
    5)  If you don't fully understand what spamming is, you should find out before you end up doing it unknowingly.
    6)  Look before you leap.  If you have a debatable thing on a future hub, ask someone BEFORE publishing it.
    7)  The question you are about to post in the Need Help Forum is probably already in there if you check a few pages worth of subjects. 
    8)  If you come off like a know-it-all, there is no room for the conversation to go.  If you leave certain points out of your text, that will invite a debate.
    9)  When I started 2 months ago, I didn't know what an URL was, much less a backlink or an Adsense account.  If I can do it, you can do it....cause I'm a goofy bastard.
    10)  I just learned how to post videos 2 weeks ago, now I make my own...in other words it is what YOU make of it.

Peace

2. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

LOL Congrats DJ smile

You are doing pretty good I think - and you compiled a good list, too big_smile

DJ Funktualposted 16 years agoin reply to this

And Now instead of an Expert, I'm an All-Star!  Wooo Hoo!

3. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Now I'm gonna cry I'm still prodigy sad wink

1. ripplemaker profile image77
      ripplemakerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

hahaha you are in good company. Me too.  smile  big_smile  lol

4. Angela Harris profile image67
    Angela Harrisposted 16 years ago

Excellent advice, not just for newbies!

5. darkside profile image62
    darksideposted 16 years ago

Excellent list. And you've come a long way.

6. DJ Funktual profile image76

And one more thing.  You will notice that under the photo that it says I've been here four months instead of two.  That is because I came here and registered, forgot about it and was cleaning out my inbox when I came across an account confirmation email.  So I clicked the link and began my journey here.   That four months up there reminds me of what could have been....in other words, motivation.

Thanks darkside.

Free DJ Tip:  check out the band VAMPIRE WEEKEND.  Ska-Flavored Ivy Leaguers. SPIN magazine chose them as the best new band of the year 2008 already?!

7. LdsNana-AskMormon profile image79
    LdsNana-AskMormonposted 16 years ago

Here Here!  Congratulations:-)  Nice going!

tDMg
    LdsNana-AskMormon
    Kathryn

8. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 16 years ago

Congratulations!.. and please tell me what SKA is. Everytime I go to try to find some, I have to do something else. LOL

Cheers!

Patty

Patty SKA is a musical style can that best be described in print as...sped up Reggae?  The best bands to check out on SKA are THE SPECIALS or THE ENGLISH BEAT or as they were sometimes known THE SPECIAL BEATS.   

You've probably heard SKA from bands like The Police, (whose album REGATTA DE BLANC means White Reggae)  Fishbone, Sublime or The Mighty Mighty Bosstones. 

Rancid is the Heavyweight Champion of SKA & Green Day are still going strong too but they are more Punk-Pop than Ska.  Old OLD No Doubt albums are great too.

9. stephhicks68 profile image87
    stephhicks68posted 16 years ago

Congrats DJ!  Keep up the great work!  big_smile

Steph is the one who told me how to do a video link in one of my comment sections.  XO

Thanks to her and everyone else who helped I just posted videos of myself in my studio on a hub today and I don't have any idea how to feel about it yet but youtube's got it going.......hey I'm breaking my own rule.  Alright No link.  yikes)

1. stephhicks68 profile image87
        stephhicks68posted 16 years agoin reply to this

XOXOX  smile

10. Soya profile image58
    Soyaposted 16 years ago

congratulations DJ smile 100 hubs in 4 months is really great..

11. amy jane profile image71
    amy janeposted 16 years ago

Congrats, DJ! You work fast smile  Great list too!

12. C.M. Vanderlinden profile image63
    C.M. Vanderlindenposted 16 years ago

Congrats, oh Funky One wink Great list of lessons learned, too.

13. Whitney05 profile image81
    Whitney05posted 16 years ago

Woo Hoo... I love your lessons. Some are pretty funny,  given out forums. I'd say my favorite is number three:

I've seen many people ask questions about why something happened, and then people look at your hubs and are like' Duh that's why it happened'. Then they claim to be like 20 people all over the web where similar content is written.

I was wondering why you said 2 months and you caption says 4... Makes since.

14. Bob Ewing profile image65
    Bob Ewingposted 16 years ago

Congrats, HP is a great place to write and share and just have somr fun.

15. ahmu profile image60
    ahmuposted 16 years ago

Congrats on all your hubbing achievements.

16. DJ Funktual profile image76

Thanks again everyone.  Hope this helps the newbies!

17. Dorsi profile image88
    Dorsiposted 16 years ago

That's great! You should post a hub with your advice- it's very good!
    And I especially like the part about coming out of a writing slumber- thats exactly what I'm doing...lol...........

18. DJ Funktual profile image76

I can also happily report that 100 Fans and 10,000 PVs are on the horizon this week. Currently 91 fans and over 9,700 PVs!

19. ripplemaker profile image77
    ripplemakerposted 16 years ago

Congrats ... I continue to be inspired....  smile

20. slywas007 profile image55
    slywas007posted 16 years ago

Hi DJ,

I am new to hubpages, and read your list which was very helpful.  I am looking to make new friends and learn as much as I can about making good hubs in hubpages.

Ben

21. compu-smart profile image90
    compu-smartposted 16 years ago

Congrats to you sir!! good points you mentioned.......Tweaking old hubs has been a story of my life and helps very much!! & lol at number 3 yikes

LOL! "story of my life"

My latest acheivement is that I have a fan on youtube!   My first ever.  He actually gets notified every time I post a new video!  Woo Hoo!
      Here is my Earth Day video for today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AELx3UuPhpE

22. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

LOL don't take it personally...

but YOU ARE SPAMMING FORUMS AGAIN big_smile

(I signed up as your fan though, cause I know you are a good guy tongue )

MISHA!  You rock.

I know..but it's Earth day.  I actually thought it wasn't really spamming if it wasn't directed to a hub?

People leave links all the time it seems...and then Misha STOMPS ON EM!  LOL!
      Yer the best dude!

Pretty hilarious eh?

1. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

LOL I think you rock, too smile
        Just so you understand what I meant by spamming - you posted this link on two different threads. I wouldn't say a word if it was only one smile

Fair enough.  The world is a big place Misha!  I am just one man.  How can I spread joy on just one thread. 

p.s. I'll bet the most tense people, the ones who need my videos most..are the ones who don't check em out.  Misery doesn't always want company.

23. SunSeven profile image62
    SunSevenposted 16 years ago

Congrats DJF smile

Wow thanks SunSeven.  I'm a huge fan.

24. MrMarmalade profile image70
    MrMarmaladeposted 16 years ago

Advice from any quarter is worthwhile.
    Thanks for your pointers,
    Congratulations on all those hubs.
    I did notice the four and two.

25. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 16 years ago

Jamie, I adore your dancing.  And your lip-syncing.  I feel like I'm being personally serenaded through my laptop.

Don't burst my bubble.

26. Susan Ng profile image83
    Susan Ngposted 16 years ago

Thank you for spamming the forums with that very entertaining video. big_smile  (I didn't know posting links was spamming until I read Misha's comment, by the way. yikes)  And congratulations!  You've been a busy little bee, haven't you? smile

27. Peter M. Lopez profile image70
    Peter M. Lopezposted 16 years ago

Congrats.  Great list.  It should be another required read for new hubbers.

28. DJ Funktual profile image76

You guys rule!

29. stephhicks68 profile image87
    stephhicks68posted 16 years ago

Loved the video, DJ!  (pssst... there is a little something between your teeth in the back - LOL)  big_smile  Happy Day after Earth Day,  Steph

LOL!  I think it's a cavity filling.  I'll be more careful with my next close-up.  :0)

Maddie - So glad you like em.  I didn't know you even saw them.  How fun...now I'm imagining the hubpages office with me funky styles palying in the background....too much.  How come you don't comment on by?

Burst your bubble?  I hope you didn't think I meant you when I mentioned tense people.  I meant people who DON'T participate.  Your avatar cheers me up all the time..YA KIDDIN' ME?

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
        Maddie Ruudposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I meant my belief that you are serenading me through the computer with your lip-syncing videos.

I believe I HAVE left you a comment or two.  And I always mentally note what you're drinking: iced tea, water, diet pepsi.

I don't drink diet anything much less pepsi but always h2o & Iced Tea.  I come off really stoney too but it's just part of the show.  I'm really far too old (37) to be abusing drugs.  There  was a time however....and since I was sense-memory trained in summer-stock...

30. danielpyle profile image60
    danielpyleposted 16 years ago

Congratulations on your milestone and look so forward to the next 100.

1. compu-smart profile image90
      compu-smartposted 16 years agoin reply to this

wink

31. William F. Torpey profile image72
    William F. Torpeyposted 16 years ago

Just weighing in with my compliments on some really good tips, DJ.

Thanks William.   All in the name of Hubpages.com

32. topstuff profile image60
    topstuffposted 16 years ago

I checked you hubs now.Many hubs with the number of 100.The 100 hottest women in the world,the 100 greatest movie soundtrack songs,the 100 worst songs.And this thread also with the number 100.Lucky number or not?

I'll tell what topstuff you have asked the eternal question right there.
      I love LISTS, COUNTDOWNS, etc.   I have found however that the size of the HUB in reference to the title CAN put people off.

EXAMPLE:  My 3 favorite hubs of mine are
      The 450 Greatest Songs of 70s, 80s, 90s.  They each took about a week to compile sort and rank, hell I even have a science fiction backstory about how I need suggestions from fellow readers about how to finish the list and get it up to 500.
      BUT ALAS...they go largely ignored.

I'm pretty sure the reason is that people see that 450 up there and think ugh!  No way.  Too big. Too long.   So now I try to shorten them IF I CAN.  It really depends on the subject.

I also debate (with myself) about why people don't comment who do show up and read it.  It could just be a Stumble Upon thing but I think it has more to do with being TOO COMPREHENSIVE.  Readers like me want to pick apart a list and comment on all the OMISSIONs, but if you don't leave anything out maybe the reader feels there's nothing else worthwhile to say.

How could anyone pick just 100 songs from a decade though? 
      That's 10 songs per year!   

I don't think a LISTOLOGIST is a real thing but if it were, I'd be it.

1. William F. Torpey profile image72
        William F. Torpeyposted 16 years agoin reply to this

The next time you do a hub such, as "Bing Crosby's Best 100 Songs," you should just list 99 songs. That'll give your readers an opportunity to tell you that you left one out!  LOL

33. Rik Ravado profile image87
    Rik Ravadoposted 16 years ago

DJ well done for reaching 100 Hubs so quickly.  I've been here for about the same time as you (4 months) and have just (10 minutes ago) produced Hub no 20.

Like you I am really enjoying HubPage life.  Here's looking forward to your 200th Hub later this year!   smile

Rik Your HUBs rock though.  Look at your fan to hub ratio.
      That's what I long to acheive.  Having more hubs than fans is embarassing to me honestly but like gamergirl told in my first week here....IF THEY DON'T COME BY...IT"S THEIR LOSS. 
      I've tried to live by that.

34. rmr profile image69
    rmrposted 16 years ago

Congrats! I can't even imagine writing 100 hubs in 2 months. I've been here three months, and haven't quite hit 20 yet! Keep it up, I check out your stuff every day.

35. Rik Ravado profile image87
    Rik Ravadoposted 16 years ago

DJ

Most people struggle to write anything let alone a Hub.  What is cool about you is you're a creative powerhouse and the ideas just keep coming.  Perhaps you should market a cure for writer's block?  Anyway, just keep those Hubs coming!

36. DJ Funktual profile image76

I'll get right on it.......not!  But I bet you could write that.  I didn't even think he had 100 songs. 

Speaking of 100, I have 96 fans and I'm makin' a plea for more!   I know that I am constantly astonished at who I LOVE TO READ but is not yet in MY Favs because I must have just not realized it. 

Anybody wanna be #100?  The position is now open...

1. William F. Torpey profile image72
      William F. Torpeyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I wasn't fast enough to make 100, DJ, but I'm fan No. 101.

Forgive me for taking up space here, but the following comes from the Bing Crosby Internet Museum:

Bing Crosby made recordings in every year of his career which spanned fifty-one years, and he recorded some 2000 titles. He was the most successful recording artist of the 20th century, with well over 300 hits to his name and twenty-two official Gold Records.
      Between 1927 and 1962 he scored 368 charted records under his own name, plus twenty-eight as a vocalist with various bandleaders, for a total of 396. No one else has come close; compare Paul Whiteman (220), Frank Sinatra (209), Elvis Presley (149), Glenn Miller (129), Nat “King” Cole (118), Louis Armstrong (85), the Beatles (68).
      · He scored the most number one hits ever, 38, compared with 24 by the Beatles and 18 by Presley.
        I have to add that his birthday will be celebrated Saturday. He was born on May 3, 1903.

DJ Funktualposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I love this kind of stuff.  You made my day.
        AWESOME STUFF but you should post this in the PICK A GROUP, ANY GROUP thread in Entertainment.

Thanks for becoming a fan as well. Cheers.

NEW UPDATE >> Just passed 11,000 PVs since 2/16 when I started.

The 100 WORST SONGS OF ALL-TIME has also become my 2nd HUB to acheive 1,000 PVs
        and it is also my most commented on HUB with over 100 comments.

Thanks to all for your support.

37. DJ Funktual profile image76
    DJ Funktualposted 15 years ago

I'm at 99 fans hubbers.......................so who's it gonna be?

38. LdsNana-AskMormon profile image79
    LdsNana-AskMormonposted 15 years ago

NOT ME...  already a fan:-)

Loved the Hub song too!

Congratulations, you are doing great here!

tDMg
    LdsNana-AskMormon
    Kathryn

39. DJ Funktual profile image76

Somebody did it!  Whoever you are THANK YOU!!!  I am gonna sleep deeply.tonight.  I sthere a way to find out who it was?

40. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 15 years ago

Just look at your Hubtivity.  It was jaymz.

DJ Funktualposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Duh, thanks Paul.  I mean fan #99!  I'm so sorry to always be asking such stupid questions as it pertains to computer smarts.   BUT conversely I truly believe that I would not be so good at what I do if I had spent my youth on a computer!

41. Moonmaiden profile image68
    Moonmaidenposted 15 years ago

I'm amazed. It took me 2 years to write 216 hubs and now hubpages has so many writers I can't even come up with anything that hasn't been done 10 times. I can't imagine writing 50 hubs a month.

42. DJ Funktual profile image76

Latest lesson learned.

Why should I bother networking since everyone does it for me.

http://www.nme.com/video/search/funktual  This is from NME magazine!!!!
    How did it get there?  Beats Me.  Beaming with pride.

http://www.samples.fr/blog/  This guy is promoting me from FRANCE!

http://www.blinkx.com/videos/funktuall   No idea where this came from either.

http://blingmyzik.blogspot.com/2008/05/ … by-dj.html

This blogger has me featured. and here.
    http://henqua.com/video-music-top%20woman%20djs.html
    and here too.
    http://www.shqiperiavideo.com/Bythe/

already up to 145 HUBS 
    500-800 a day in PVs
    3,000 this week
    10,000 this month
    and 21,000 overall
    with over 1,000 comments

MEANWHILE ON YOUTUBE..
    Samples Vol 1.................2,753 views since posting on 4/16/08    22 Comments 41/2 stars
    Samples Vol. 2...............1,402 views    12 comments > Rated 5 Star
    Samples Vol. 3...............1,793 views    18 Comments > 5 Star
    Samples Vol. 4...............1,448 views     11 Comments > 5 Star
    Samples Vol. 5...............1,041 views      8 Comments > 5 Star
    Samples Vol. 6................1,175 views    11 Comments > 4 1/2 stars
    Samples Vol. 7................1,464 views    12 Comments > 4 Stars

11,076 people have seen my video without even coming to the hub since 4/16

Go ahead and say it cause it's true....I'm a freakin Supastar!   LOL!

1. Gawn Fishin' profile image60
      Gawn Fishin'posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations DJ!

43. DJ Funktual profile image76

Thanks Gawn.

I didn't really think anyone would respond after a rant like that.    I'm joining yer fanclub if I haven't already.

44. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

May be you are just really awesome and people naturally flock to you? IDK...

wink

45. amy jane profile image71
    amy janeposted 15 years ago

Congrats DJ, that is pretty amazing stuff, in my opinion.  Your videos are entertaining - and I think they qualify for helping you network, in a way.  smile

46. DJ Funktual profile image76

My wife says, "Misha hit it right on the head!   Now that's what I'm thinking.

And despite the fact that I published 16 hubs in the last 11 days, I still somehow managed to get outpaced by my new fans.  154 to 142 hubs I'm losing the race and loving it.

My new 24-Part Series on the 100 Funniest Movies of all-time is one-fifth complete. 100-80

I'm running Who Am I games on the forums AND YET I'VE NEVER BEEN FEATURED in a Hubpages newsletter.

TV hubs just completed on Flight of the Conchords, BBC-the office.

And just started a Film Director Series with my first subject WOODY ALLEN

I also just posted Essential Songs for a Summer Vacation
    Essential Songs by The Ramones, Billy Joel, Prince

1. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

*hint, hint!* big_smile

47. DJ Funktual profile image76

Right.  Nah.  They pick the same safe people every time.  I don't think they want someone like me to represent the masses either.

I got my recognition anyway on jimmy the jock's blog!  Hubber of the week!

48. Gawn Fishin' profile image60
    Gawn Fishin'posted 15 years ago

Hello, again Hello.

49. DJ Funktual profile image76

I just called to let you know

50. DJ Funktual profile image76

I think about you all the time...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)