Anyone Else have NO Clicks on Adsense since signing up for Hubpage Ads

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (50 posts)
  1. Brie Hoffman profile image59
    Brie Hoffmanposted 12 years ago

Is it just me?

It's pretty odd for it to be completely zero.  I am wondering if something is going on.

1. cre8tive profile image82
      cre8tiveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I had none yesterday after signing up - but I'm not worried at the moment as I expected Adsense to drop dramatically as the Hubpages ads are taking up the space.

Have to see how it goes.

Would like to see the Hubpages ad reports though.

1. Brie Hoffman profile image59
        Brie Hoffmanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I would like to see that too..it might calm my nerves a bit.  I guess I didn't expect it to happen so suddenly and so completely .

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
          Barbara Kayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Take a deep breath, because it appears to me that earnings are posted a day behind. Because I was in the first wave of those to sign-up, it is hard to say if it was the new Google ratings or if it was because of Hubpage ads that my Adsense has gone down.

I am earning money with the Hubpage ads and I think in the end it may be more than I did with Adsense, because my Hubpage CTR wasn't good and this seems to be based on traffic instead. I am not sure about that though.

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I only signed up for Hubpages Ad Program yesterday(full first day), but am still receiving Adsense clicks.

1. katiem2 profile image61
        katiem2posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Me too!

1. K9keystrokes profile image83
          K9keystrokesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

me too!

1. pisean282311 profile image64
            pisean282311posted 12 years agoin reply to this

me too..

3. tritrain profile image70
      tritrainposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've had clicks since yesterday.  I'll keep an eye out and report back if I see any "weirdness" going on.  smile

4. Edweirdo profile image83
      Edweirdoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I went from $4-5 dollars a day in Adsense to less than $1 a day following the Feb Google algorithm change. I was in the first wave of invitees for the new ad program, and it's been bringing in about $2 a day, but my Adsense has dropped to almost $0 since I joined the HP program.

My traffic has mostly recovered from the initial drop of about 40% at the end of Feb, but HP ad revenue is not as high as Adsense was pre-algo change. Most days I now get one or two Adsense clicks.

I think I'll give the HP program a few more weeks, then switch back to Adsense-only and see if things improve...

5. profile image0
      BRIAN SLATERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Brie, I too signed up for the ad prog. yesterday and today is the first day I haven't had any money posted from hubpages.
      I have had money go into my adsense account from other sources but not from Hp's. It is slightly worrying, do you have to wait a few days before you see any money in your paypal account?

6. Sally's Trove profile image78
      Sally's Troveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

For the first time since I started earning AdSense money via HP three years ago, my Adsense earnings have been 0 for the last 6 days out of 8. In the two days of the 8, they were pennies.

At the end of the month (March), I'll have earned, in between AdSense and the HP Ad program, what I'd been earning in prior months thru AdSense alone. But that's not good news. Given the effort I put into HP in January and February by publishing new Hubs, I expected to see an increase in earnings, not a flat line.

No, it's not just you.

2. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 12 years ago

I've had one Adsense click for the princely sum of :drum roll: £0.03.

3. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 12 years ago

I had 3 consecutive days with zero, Brie.  I thought it was odd too, but based on my understanding of the new layout, I guess it makes sense that it can happen.  I have had a day or two here there since then with zero clicks on Adsense.  I'm not going to reach payout this month.  That's the first time in over a year.

4. CASE1WORKER profile image60
    CASE1WORKERposted 12 years ago

the ads compete, the highest paid wins.
    the hubpages revenue has hardly been updated for three days so dont hold your breath.
    My adsence is well down since signing up at the beginning of the month but this is best looked at over a couple of months rather than screaming on day one ( ok i screamed inwardly)

1. katiem2 profile image61
      katiem2posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good point and Google Adsense had been falling anyway... hmmm

5. Jennifer profile image69
    Jenniferposted 12 years ago

Yep, same here.  I signed up at the beginning of the month, my adsense earning have dropped drastically, I won't reach payout for the first time in years.  My hubpages ad?  Not doing well either.  I stand to lose hundreds in income this month.  Hoping it picks up!

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Me too.  sad

My combined income from the Adsense and HubPages ad program will be a fraction of what my Adsense payout used to be.

It's such bad luck that the ad program and the algo change came along at the same time. There's no way to know where the problem is - how much has my Adsense income dropped due to the drop in traffic, how much due to the changed Adsense layout and how much due to the HubPages ad program?

6. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

I got 'the email' but have decided not to join until we have had about six months of info from people.  My traffic is very low anyway, so the only excitement I get are odd clicks.  I think I'd rather have those than a lower level more steady income.

But as I say - no need to rush for six months.  I'm more interested in trying to improve my offering, titles, keywords and see if I can get some hits.

1. shogan profile image78
      shoganposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mark, the other perspective on this is that you have nothing to lose by trying the new program.  That's almost where I feel I'm at.  Just think how nerve-wracking it must be for people who have steady income already through Adsense.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's a fair point shogan - it depends on how you look at it.  I have a couple of reasons for not changing though.

Since joining I have watched my stats very carefully.  I feel like I know every time someone finds me or clicks on me.  I know my hubs.  Traffic was slowly improving.

The Google slap shook everything up and I am concentrating on that area, and no wish to change anything else.

As for people who were making some money, yes, it must be absolutely gutting for them.  When my ten hits a day dropped to 3 I felt pretty miserable.

Fair enough.  Keep in mind, though, that you might earn more money with the new program for now, and then as your hubs mature, you always have the option of reverting to Adsense only.

If nothing else, your number of Google hits makes me feel better.  I'm guessing that doesn't make you feel better, though.  Sorry about that.  wink

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
            Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well I didn't feel worse till I checked you out, and you have been here less time and got half the hubs I do.  Oh well, I'll get the idea eventually.

I thought you might feel compelled to take a peek.  Gotcha.  No, honestly, I feel your pain.  This doesn't come naturally to me at all.  The idea of writing to suit some kind of spider-bots on the rampage seems, well, wrong.

Also, keep in mind, we might have signed up a week apart.  So the time issue is moot.  The number of hubs, well....

7. melpor profile image91
    melporposted 12 years ago

My absense earnings (or clicks) are slowly  beginning to increase since joining the Hubpages Ad program almost a month ago. It was sitting at zero for almost a couple of weeks but I am now beginning to see traffic increase and increase in clicks for Adsense.

Was "absence" intentional?  That was awesome.

1. melpor profile image91
        melporposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorrow that should be adsense.

"Absence," at least for me and Mark, is more appropriate!  smile

8. Jason Menayan profile image60
    Jason Menayanposted 12 years ago

We did notice among the early beta users, that, for some reason, the more a person was earning in AdSense, the higher their combined earnings were (on a percentage basis) after adding the HubPages Ad Program.

Those earning more than $30-50 dollars a day saw the biggest increases in their earnings, while those earning just a couple of dollars a day saw a smaller (but still double-digit percentage) increase.

If you're uneasy about seeing your AdSense income drop, you can certainly deactivate the HubPages Ad Program, or run a comparative test (one week of AdSense-only, followed by a week of AdSense-and-Program, for example).

1. Sally's Trove profile image78

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading early on during the first round of invites to the new HP Ad program that if you deactivated your HP Ad participation before you earned the first $50 payout, you would lose any earnings you accumulated. If that's so, then deactivating and running tests for a week at a time (if you haven't received your first payout from the HP Ad program yet) would mean that you forfeit whatever earnings you had made under $50.

1. Jason Menayan profile image60
        Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you deactivate, you don't forfeit your earnings. Your earnings will just not continue to grow. You just have to reactivate in order to resume earning.

You have to hit a $50 threshold in order to be eligible for payout, so you might not want to pause indefinitely if you have $49 accumulated in your Program account. smile

Thanks for that clarification.

A small modification: if you're inactive for more than 6 months, you do forfeit your balance. Please read the specifics in the Terms of Use, in Section 9 (under "Account Closure and Inactivity").

Thanks for that, too. HP is covered there.

If you're inactive here publishing and participating for 6 months, then phooey on you. smile Unless you're dead, of course, and then that's a conversation between your attorney and HP's.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

I rushed off to read the Terms, wondering what "activity" meant.

It looks like it's not talking about the Hubber being active (i.e. writing).  It just says if our Hubs don't earn any income for six months, we're deemed inactive.

Oh good, that means I can still head off on my luxury round-the-world year-long cruise without worrying. 

I wish smile

2. lakeerieartists profile image63
      lakeerieartistsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Jason, when will we stats from the last couple of days?  I have gotten impressions but no clicks on Adsense today so far from the account that activated, but I also don't have any info on the new program.

They were just updated through March 22nd.

Stats for the 23rd should be coming in later today (they typically do come in afternoon of the day after).

3. Lisa HW profile image63
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm kind of too scared to mess with anything at this point.  hmm    So far, for me, the HP ad programs looks good (and it's certainly better than nothing, particularly in view of the kind of writing I've done.  I see a major, major, drop in Ad Sense, though.  Before March 1, and for the last few months, I've had a new "all-time-low" for a day (not counting my pre-monthly payments days) (which was in the $4/$5 area, but I'd had days that weren't at that "new all-time low"

In February I still had my share of "average-low" days (which were in the teens), but February was a kind of bad month too.  February had a few shocker days with new lows that I haven't seen in years.  The first part of this month looked like things had settled into that earlier "all-time low", with the HP ad program pretty much making up for decreases in Ad Sense earnings.  Well, THAT was until I ran into several eye-buggingly, horrifically, and new "all-time lows"  (lol) that were - like - under 50 cents a day!!!  A few days have seemed to creep up, but - really - it's bad.  I may or may not get a payment for the first time in years, but that would be fine (particularly in view of the kind of Hubs I have) if the HP ad program makes up for it (or even sort makes up for it).

Now, with the changes, I have a feeling going back to relying on Ad Sense only isn't going to get any earnings anywhere near what they were (obviously).  Then again, I have SOME Hubs that I think Google may "like".  The subject of them, and what it is that I based what I wrote on, don't lend themselves to spiffing them up in order to make them more acceptable to search engines (and I've never wanted to write "just to please Google" (other than complying with existing TOS) anyway.

So now, I've just come around to assuming that the way I'd been earning before is a "that-was-then/this-is-now" thing; and I've made peace with knowing that whatever I've already written has earned me quite a bit for quite awhile, and now the "jig is up" on that particular aspect of things.

It occurs to me that, based only on this few weeks of HP ad program earnings, I could easily more than make up for earlier earnings by writing more Hubs.  In fact, it occurs to me that a lot of my Hubs that once didn't earn much may now earn more because of new program.  What I've been wondering over the last few weeks, though, is whether the kind of stuff I've been writing is the kind of stuff anyone (HP, or even just Hubbers who read and vote for/against Hubs) will now being seeing as "crap", in view of apparently new aims to meet Google's new "standards".

What I don't know is this:  If HubPages keeps calling itself a "writers' platform" (or even "professional writers' platform") and doesn't embrace the label, "content farm", that has apparently been put on the site by Google (and referring to, I guess, my own definition of "content farm" - which, to me, HubPages has never been), then I'd assume at least some of the kinds of Hubs I have up would still be good enough to stay on the site.  On the other hand, if HubPages evolves to be a site where "web articles" and standard formats, standard requirements (such as "no first-person stuff at all" or "no-assimilated knowledge articles at all") become the only way anyone on here wants things done; then I'm thinking a lot of the stuff I have that's been considered "good" on here is going to get sent to the "crap pile" - and I'm guessing anything HP ad program earnings are likely to start reflecting that kind of thing.

I'm fine with adapting to any changes, even deleting anything that doesn't belong on here.  For now, though, I don't know what to be doing, what to be deleting, what to be writing, or whether to just be happy with whatever anything earns on here and figuring out what to do next after waiting another few weeks...   hmm

What I'm having some trouble reconciling, in my own mind and with regard to what I should or shouldn't be doing, is the kind of mixed messages that are essentially coming from "everywhere and everyone" (including Google) that Google doesn't want stuff aimed at (for lack of a better phrase, but I think people know what I mean) search engines; and yet this particular site (HP), which has so much writing that's never been specifically aimed at search engines has been "slapped" and called "a content farm" (which, to me, is more like Constant Content or other site that's more focused on writing "professional web articles").

Now, the mixed messages are also a matter of "everyone" saying that people need to write material that's more in keeping with "what Google likes", and that "getting HP back into the good graces of Google" is the ultimate aim; but some what "everyone" is thinking writers ought to be doing now is exactly (at least as far as I can see) what makes "standard, professional written, web articles" the stuff that content farms are made of.  I'm OK with whoever wants whatever on their site or in the searches.  My only thing is that I don't really know what I ought to be doing at this point (at least on HubPages).

The one thing I, personally, don't plan on doing is changing the kind of stuff I write in order to make it more "what Google likes".  What Google likes can change, as we've all seen.  I need at least the minimal amount of "direction stability" of knowing I won't be completely changing the kind of writing I do in my extra time.  (People who rely on Ad Sense and/or HubPages to pay their bills likely have to think seriously about changing their writing to meet the new standards.  I don't pretend I don't need that extra little income I've been getting until now, but it's not what I rely on to live.  It's just that on an Internet where the winds are ever changing, that one constant I need is my own kind of writing.

I don't mind posting what I write somewhere else, and I don't mind deleting stuff that doesn't belong.  I don't want to raise the "crap level" on any site with any of my writing.  At the same time, though, I don't want the occasional piece of good writing I have on here to begin to be seen as "crap" by virtue of its not being "the standard web article" (but with pictures and whatever acceptable capsules there are left to add).  I assume that wherever/whoever anyone gets ad earnings from is tied to whether his Hubs are seen as "high quality".  I think I now know what Google views as "high quality" (at least this week anyway, and at least in terms of where it sends traffic first), but what I don't know at this point is what the "official measure of quality" is here on HubPages, now that all these recent changes have occurred.

I'm not looking for any answers here - just airing my own "Post-Algo Change, Hubber, dilemma."  Basically, nobody can (or should) be worrying about who does or doesn't like his writing; but these days, more than ever, the measure of "what's crap" seems more subjective (and yet not) than ever.  I don't expect to earn anything from "crap".  It's just that these days I'm not sure which judges-of-crap I'm supposed to be trying to please.

The last few Hubs I've written have been a matter of just forgetting about it all, and just forgetting about trying to meet anyone's standards - and writing something that came off the top of my head (without capsules and with only text.  Essentially, I'm all "guideline'd out" and "all requiremented out" and all "standarded out" and all "adviced out" (but I'm apparently never "all writing'd out".   lol)  (Actually, I've been storing a 19,000-plus-word (and growing) , multi-text-boxed, "potential Hub" on why I've written so many Hubs I now hate.  Needless to say, perhaps, I'm concerned that 19,000-plus, purely personal, words wouldn't make the greatest Hub.   lol   lol   lol  roll  )  (It's been a few weeks now.  I've been hoping somebody else would say all that, but nobody seems to have.  hmm )

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
        Barbara Kayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Lisa, With your experience, I can't see how anyone could possibly say any of your writing is crap.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

Lisa, most people think the reason Google "slapped" HubPages has nothing to do with the subjects we write about.  It has to do with things like Hubs with duplicate content, or about blacklisted topics, etc.  Well-written Hubs like yours have suffered by association, not because of something lacking in them per se.  At least, that's how I understand it.

HubPages is making changes to appease Google and hopefully, that will have a positive impact on all our Hubs. I'm sure if they work out things we should do, they'll recommend them. I still haven't quite worked out what I'm going to do, but I'm going to leave my Hubs where they are and wait and see.

9. pedrog profile image60
    pedrogposted 12 years ago

No clicks here too, i'm in Hubpages Ad program, i'll give it a try.

I have to make some calculations, my Adsense account is in Euros and Hubpages pays in Dollars...

10. Richieb799 profile image76
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

Just got my invite, I may join after this month has ended, test it for a week but I'm not sure after hearing this news about earnings dropping.

My earnings that have been dropping are AdSense earnings, but the HP Ad program is making up the difference.

If I didn't have the HP Ad program now, I'd be deader than dead in the water with AdSense revenue after Google's algo change. In other words, I'd lose royally if I gave up the HP Ad program.

Join now and look to see what happens.

1. Richieb799 profile image76
        Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm only just about to cross the Adsense threshold this month, I was just working hard and waiting for the Earnings to level out after the Algo my earnings have been up and down.. some high days, some low :S

11. Brie Hoffman profile image59

I just got my revenue from yesterday and the CPM is way up...so that is hopeful.

12. Brie Hoffman profile image59

On the hubpages ads I mean.

13. gracenotes profile image90
    gracenotesposted 12 years ago

Brie,
    I had the HP ad program switched on for about 17 days.  But recently there were 7 straight days with no Adsense clicks... so yes, your experience is not unusual.

I am so close to the payout for Adsense that I felt I needed to turn off the HubPages program. After all, I'm much, much closer to $100 on Adsense than I am to the $50 for HP. I gave myself the last ten days of the month with Adsense to go over the threshold, and I hope I make payout.  After that happens, I'll probably turn the HP ads back on.

14. Brie Hoffman profile image59

OK, got 2 clicks from Adsense but way up on HP...so I'm a happy camper now smile

15. lakeerieartists profile image63
    lakeerieartistsposted 12 years ago

Okay, I am definitely still getting clicks on Adsense from the account that has the new ad program on it, so that is working just fine. smile

16. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

this has been the worst week for adsense..a lot of o days..
    on the other hand, amazon and hub ad is great

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)