Forum pet peeve

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (65 posts)
  1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

Okay, this is not aimed at any specific person. I've noticed it several times.

I cannot stand when someone posts a thread and then when no one has replied within an hour or two they have to post "so, no one else is interested?" Give it time. If people are interested in the topic they will post, this just makes you look overly needy.

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I guess I shouldn't do that anymore then. I have a tendency to do that sometimes.  You see like movies, I often love reading and watching people's reactions a lot to things, as it interests me a great deal.  I guess one could say I'm like a little kid at Christmas waiting to see what he gets.  Only in this scenario, I'm too impatient to read the replies to the topics, as I do find people's responses to movies and certain questions fascinating.  lol However, I do apologize if that annoys you UW.  I'll be sure to practice patience more in the near future.  wink smile

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've noticed you post a lot of crazy topics! lol

1. profile image0

I guess now you know why. wink

2. ddsurfsca profile image70
          ddsurfscaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have noticed that you have noticed that someone else posts a lot of crazy topics.....

I hate that, I think, unless it offends someone else, or something.

2. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It also means that others might not be interested in it.  I've started a few threads that I thought people would find as interesting as I did (like about the bonobos), but there was little interest.  I just let the ones that no-one's interested in drop.  Not sure if an indicator of interest if turned into a hub.  I was so fascinated with bonobos I was considering writing a hub, but now I'm not so sure).

1. Urbane Chaos profile image90
        Urbane Chaosposted 13 years agoin reply to this

er.. What's a bonobo?

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
          Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wasn't Cher once married to a Bonobo guy?  Sonny....or something like that.

::Singing:: I hit tree babe.. neutral

3. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your uninvited to the scam!  lol

hey girl!

2. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

A bit like a hub - sometimes a forum topic needs to age a bit to become popular! smile

3. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Mine is people who claim to be gurus on a subject, write hubs on the topic as if they WERE gurus, and then ask for help with that same subject on the forums.

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...and then act all outraged when people say sarcastically: "So you can't be as much of an expert as you claimed then!"

4. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

People who ask for advice, then never return to let us know whether the advice was appreciated or even read.

1. Merlin Fraser profile image60
      Merlin Fraserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Or ask question in 'Answers'  equally annoying not to say rude not to return and respond, either way.

2. travelespresso profile image68
      travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's my pet peeve too WE. 

I'd also add another peeve - when hubbers ask for advice and then argue about it in an aggressive manner!  Most of us offer advice in a constructive manner and we take the time to do it to assist not attack.

5. Lily Rose profile image85
    Lily Roseposted 13 years ago

UW - I cringed when I first saw your thread because I thought you were going to say that you hated when someone starts a thread and then doesn't bother to come back to participate in it...I sort of did that yesterday (it wasn't to ask for advice at least!) and felt bad but my day ended up being busy and I wasn't able to get back on the computer all day!  I'm glad that was not it - LOL!

Your pet peeve is one of mine, too...as is WE's!

6. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

my biggest forum pet peeve is when people claim to want a rationalize debate, then when you do try to debate with them rationally, they retort back with insults and insinuations about your intelligence just because you don't agree with them. 

another pet peeve I have is when I open up a forum to gain information for a hub, people a lot of time won't take it seriously or they'll post AFTER the deadline in which i needed that information.  Just look back at my "Oscar Snubs" forum for an example of this, as I was kind peeved that I didn't get any responses until after the Oscars versus BEFORE because I really needed that information for my Oscar hubs.  Oh well.  Luckily, I tend to rely mostly on my own research anyway, so it's no biggie.  Lesson learned I guess.

7. sofs profile image78
    sofsposted 13 years ago

My pet peeve is when people can't even be polite to each other, even the most negative feedback can be given in a way that is not hurting or insulting..

I hardly get into forum debates which turn into a circus.. the sandpit is the best place for cordial relationship I guess.

I restrict myself to that most of the time, I venture out only when I choose to, into other threads. This was an exception I guess! smile

Another one is when people ask for help, I find the same point being copied and repeated just because they want to show activity in that forum ; when something is explained well what is the need for repetition!!

I don't mean to be mean.. just wanted to express my thoughts !

1. TamCor profile image80
      TamCorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

" My pet peeve is when people can't even be polite to each other, even the most negative feedback can be given in a way that is not hurting or insulting... "

That is my No.1 pet peeve, also. I feel like some people just hover over the forum threads, just waiting for a chance to dive in and say something rude... sad

I always want to ask them "Were you born rude, or do you just have this special talent to be nasty?"...but then, that would be RUDE, so I don't say it, lol...  big_smile

...I second that motion!

8. Falsor Wing profile image60
    Falsor Wingposted 13 years ago

My pet peeve is pet peeves, not the people that have them just the fact that people are aggravated by things. I hate it when people are aggravated especially when its me.

1. Richieb799 profile image74
      Richieb799posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Falsor Wing, little things bug me, but I wouldn't want to tell people what do to on forum as long as they aren't causing a massive disturbance or upsetting anyone.

9. Falsor Wing profile image60
    Falsor Wingposted 13 years ago

That thought seemed smarter before I hit submit.

1. Anesidora profile image61
      Anesidoraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don't ya hate it when that happens?

10. Anesidora profile image61
    Anesidoraposted 13 years ago

My pet peeve is stupid questions. Not like stupid questions related to internet marketing or such, but stupid questions like what did you eat for breakfast this morning or such.

I don't know why. I just do. I guess it's because I really personally don't give a flying froot loop what you ate for breakfast.

I had instant apple oatmeal with half a banana sliced thinly on top. Do ya care? Does it matter? Are you gonna write a hub about it?

I dunno, mebbe I'm just a witch with a capital B.

Ok, so what did ya have for dinner? tongue

11. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

Read that lot worrying a bit.  I've probably crossed all sorts of lines already.

Must try to be a better person.

Yes but then you'd be BORING.

12. rotl profile image61
    rotlposted 13 years ago

LOL... good one Uninvited.

My pet peeve is all the proselytizing, preaching, and religious "debate" that goes on here. Doesn't seem to accomplish anything in my opinion, other than people telling others they suck because of what they do or don't believe. A lot of masked (and sometimes not so masked) prejudice and intolerance.

13. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I hate when people ask for advice and then when it's given to them, argue with it. Sure, digging for a better explanation is one thing but when they try and argue with people who've been using the site/adsense/amazon for ages and yet have never achieved anything themselves, it's a bit annoying. Same with the people who come into the forums and say "Oh my gosh I don't think hubpages is giving me my 60% share" as if no one has ever tested it before (not talking about lrohner if you see this!)

1. lrohner profile image70
      lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Um, yeah.

14. katiem2 profile image61
    katiem2posted 13 years ago

I heard that!   smile

15. saleheensblog profile image61
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

I am afraid, I hope you people are not talking about me. You know, I am more constructive and sensible now.

My pet peeve is when a group of respected people agree to disagree and lose their patience and start acting like jokers.

lol I think I know who you're talking about?

1. saleheensblog profile image61
        saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

wink

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/4204949_f248.jpg

16. ddsurfsca profile image70
    ddsurfscaposted 13 years ago

I don't know how often everyone else comes online, sometimes others are using my computer and I only get to visit once in a day.  When it is like that, it is impossible to answer any post right away, nothing to do with interest. 

my pet peeve is when I ask a legit. question and nobody ever does answer it. (it has only happened a time or two)
    or
    just because my opinion is different from someone elses, I feel like my square head is pounded into that round hole. haha

17. Mighty Mom profile image76
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Great questions, UW.

I'd have to say hubbers who "claim" an entire category and act all indignant when people with opposite or divergent viewpoints (aka "non-believers") deign to post on "their" thread!

18. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

The faux experts here make me ill. They come to the forums, ask for help, then take the help, turn it into a hub and then pretend to be an expert.

They've never made payout in a month, and they act like they're an SEO or marketing expert. I cringe when I read their hubs and see others following their limited experience.

1. profile image0

I detest faux experts too - the ones that spout pre-packaged propoganda that they don't even understand themselves.  However, I do like reading well researched hubs, including experience hubs eg I'm not an "expert" in depression except my own experience and observation and insights gained - I am an "expert" in those matters even though I am not a psychologist.  I often use the forums to gauge different opinions which I can address in my writing.

19. profile image0

Well this is more of a hub pet peeve than a forum rant, as I hate it when people publish hubs of "Peter Travers top ten movies of all time or whatever."  Don't get me wrong, I do follow his work, but if I'm going to read his top ten movies of all time, then I'll go to www.rollingstone.com or buy an issue myself; cutting out the middle man.  Thank you very much. Seriously, why put up a list of what some other person published, that's just stupid.  I'd have much more respect for those hubbers that do that if they had like a retort, responding to Peter Travers list, and saying why they agree or disagree with his choices.  However, don't just put up the same damn list and say, "hey folks, check out Peter Travers' top listed films."  Gee, thanks.  I'll gladly read it on Rollingstone's website instead, and not yours if your going to be that lazy.  Sheesh.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, I don't know who Peter Travers is so there is no danger of my posting one of those lists. I choose my own top 10, 20...whatever.

20. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

These are all good peeves. Someone (UW?)should make a top ten list of thou shalt not peeve commandments.

As for the original thought-- Yes, it always makes me think that the original poster thinks the rest of us are waiting by our screens-- waiting for the next bit of profundity to come down, so we can stupidly respond and be properly put in our places.

21. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

My pet Peeve is....well, my cat named Peeve!

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

big_smile big_smile big_smile

2. profile image0

great name idea if I need a new pet

3. Urbane Chaos profile image90

That's just not right! big_smile big_smile

22. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

Cool thread (so far) 

My pet peeve is anyone who presumes to know what Im thinking hmm

I mean I think they are good ,but seriously not that good.

And occassionally isnt it so funny when two or three will band together and bounce off one another like they seriously know each other lol that really cracks me up.

Reminds me whos hot, and whose not in High School,lol tongue

1. profile image0

I agree with you there.  Not naming names, but it's ridiculous that many hubbers that debate with you will often claim to KNOW what you're thinking and what you can or cannot understand.  Seriously, we must have a lot of mind readers on forums. lollol

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
        Eaglekiwiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep,  sometimes makes me wish I could flick marshmallows at them lol
        Hey theres an idea , a lil  chubby soft n spongy marshmallow icon-click send-hehe

23. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

My pet peeve is when someone comes to the forums asking for help in broken English, yet their hubs are word perfect. Where did they copy that from then?

Good point Izzy!

They need a darn good slappin...

24. Jeff Berndt profile image73
    Jeff Berndtposted 13 years ago

I really hate pet peeves. tongue

Prove it, if you cant thats just an opinon and not backed up by facts lol

Im kidding  ya smile

25. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

How about hypocrisy? Like the forum dweller, who always says: "I don't go to the forums much anymore..."

26. profile image0

I hate it when you say hi to a person in a forum, then they don't reply back to you, but they'll say hi to another hubber who said hi to them, within the same thread too. lol  then they act like you've been gone for ages.  Seriously, I know my posts aren't invisible. lollol  not naming anyone particularly, but it has happened a few times to me. lol

edit: it's one thing if you don't feel like talking to a particular person, but don't insult my intelligence doing it.  tongue j/k

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
      Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Steve!!
      and "Hi" to all others that I have neglected!!

1. profile image0

oh hi rochelle, hows it going?

1. Jeff Berndt profile image73
          Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Dude...where have you been? tongue

1. profile image0

lol

2. Rochelle Frank profile image89
          Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

good!

27. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

Hi to all and anyone Ive missed.

I dont usually come here ,Ive been gone a whole two hours lol

28. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I don't have any particular expectations for the forums, so I don't really have any pet peeves in particular; at least not except for that old classic, "The Religious Thread".  mad  I'm sorry...  it does irk me to see thread after thread after thread about religion.  All I can say about it is, "Good Lord!!"   lol  However, I don' have to keep popping back here either - so "whatever".  Let the forums remain the big pulpit they sure seem to be sometimes.   hmm

29. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

I don't like the way people use the forums for self promotion, bigging themselves up, flaming other posters and upsetting newbies.  It's all me, me, me.

Obviously I do this myself (like duh), but it is annoying when others copy the idea.

1. sofs profile image78
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol  lol LOL

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)